Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 04:41:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What amp do we need for to-day's tape machine ? (Read 5282 times)
tony ma
Verified Member

What amp do we need for to-day's tape machine ?
04/16/16 at 16:13:36

In old time, consumer open reel tape machine mainly targeted for recording to increase personal music library for less money and play back, but they were replaced by cassette because of cheaper and more convenience if don't care the sound quality too much. to-day analogue is coming back vs digital for sound quality so open reel dubbing from other source is useless unless from master tape or live recording. tube is best friend of classical and jazz music but most of the pro machine or semi pro they all designed in SS and most design was active type for EQ and have calibrate stage. looking to-day's high end phono stage design they will use passive filter for RIAA and no NFB also no tone control, so my subjection is forget the record section pull the signal out from the play back head to a tube amp with passive filter for NAB or CCIR EQ and have enough gain direct to the line stage preamp also tone control by your own system and listen to a master dubbed copy will have the best analogue sound that I do believe
tony ma

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: What amp do we need for to-day's tape machine ?
Reply #1 - 04/23/16 at 03:35:32

Hi tony ma,

I was fortunate a couple years back to get a record and playback amplifier built by an engineer at Ford Areospace in the 1960's.  He was in charge of tape recording.  It was his own personal cost no object build with the resources of Ford Areospace making it an interesting piece of the highest possible quality.  The sound is spectacular, however in A/B comparisons with the ZP3 which is passive I found that the passive EQ  had a more natural and more accurate soundstage with a resulting sound that got you into the music better.  The active unit seems to artificially feature the instruments moving them forward out of their natural space.  It's more about the instruments with active, while passive the instruments and the space are properly balanced.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/23/16 at 13:02:54

Interesting. This difference is very similar to what I hear between my DAC directly into the Torii, and my DAC through the CSP2+ and into the Torii. The entire soundscape seems "right" directly into the Torii, and instruments are more highlighted through the CSP2+. Each is an excellent listen but I prefer the DAC direct.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tony ma
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/16 at 15:51:37

Why most of the out broad play back amp can sound better than the stock built inside of a tape machine because which have a calibrate section and out broad don't, that is because of less of lot of contacts included cheap quality trim pots and a gain stage, for us listeners not the produce of tape copy industrial , frequency respond of a pre recorded tape in play back is not that important compare to the transparency factor, like the phono stage they do not have any extra after the EQ, every system has their own frequency respond even flat out from tape machine but not flat from the speakers needs adjust by listening. one more factor is the head cable, a tone arm cable from cart to amp makes big different sound change, same will happen in tape machine too
tony ma

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print