Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 07:30:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TAD EL84M Tube from Cryoset (Read 5173 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

TAD EL84M Tube from Cryoset
03/16/16 at 01:31:57

Hey guys, need some new power tubes for my Taboo MK II.  Ron from cryoset suggested the TAD EL84M [EL84 , 6BQ5].  These are German MIL-SPEC from what I understand.

Is anybody familiar with this tube in general and/or in particular with the Taboo MK II and what were your impressions?  It's either these or the Sovtek SV83 which sound pretty good and are much cheaper, but I was thinking of trying something different.

Any impressions would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: TAD EL84M Tube from Cryoset
Reply #1 - 03/16/16 at 01:42:45

I used the TAD from cryoset in the Eddie Vaughn modded "C" amp that I have. Very impressed with these tubes. Very nice tone.  I'd buy them again.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/16/16 at 15:42:11

Thanks Lon, that's reassuring.  I went ahead and placed an order for a matched/cryo'd set from cryoset and should have them tomorrow morning.  I'll put some hours on them and report back to this thread.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 03/18/16 at 18:45:55

I used the TAD EL84's from Cryoset with much success in my little 2 watter for years, loved them. The TAD EL34's for my Rachael I am not so fond of, but Ron @ Cryoset is great guy to work with. Keep us posted and happy listening, Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/16 at 23:02:10

Thanks Lon and hdrider, so far the TAD EL84M have turned out to be great in the amp.  They were a little forward sounding at first, but I've been running them for quite a few hours over the last couple days and they have thus far have turned out to be both smooth and transparent at the same time ... and still getting better.  

Great purchase and I recommend them (to anybody with a Taboo MK II at least).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/21/16 at 12:33:09

That was my experience as well, they'll open up a bit more. They have just the right endearing amount of warmth without obscuring detail. Nice tubes! Glad they're working out.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print