04/20/24 at 05:48:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZCD vs ZDSD (Read 475 times)
Adriankn
Verified Member

ZCD vs ZDSD
03/08/16 at 16:32:01

I know a lot of people probably haven't tried both. But I would prefer a network player if the ZCD sounds as good as the ZDSD, it seems like a better fit. What I'd like to know from ZCD240 owners, and Steve, is whether the Teac app is any good?

I currently use a Hegel HD12 and Jriver with the remote app. I like this set up and could use the same set up with the ZDSD. However I'm more interested in eliminating USB all together for a network player if possible.

I'm currently using a Torii Mk3 Vcaps. The variable voltage of the ZCD is a great option, but the captive power cord looks a little cheap. I have pretty nice cables, all pure OCC copper and silver, cryo treated.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Re: ZCD vs ZDSD
Reply #1 - 03/08/16 at 17:21:40

What are you streaming?
I stream Tidal and a few internet radio stations and never got an acceptable answer from TEAC on the ZCD being compatible for Tidal.
In fact the answer was a "no we do not plan to support that" but it was a while ago.
For that reason, if it matters, I would go with the ZDSD and stream from your existing setup.

IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/08/16 at 19:14:53

It's not for Internet radio. I will be using DLNA for the hi res files on my computer.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/08/16 at 20:57:16

Then the ZCD may be fine.
However, I remember some comment from Steve back when I was considering this same choice about the ZDSD DAC being the best of the two. I'll look for the thread.

PS: This is it.....
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1438614503/9#9

IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/16 at 02:34:37

This issue I have with the ZDSD is the lack of direct USB connection to either a computer or storage beyong 32gb. I would have to catalog 400+ GB of music onto a dozen SD cards..

If it had a USB B connection or DLNA support I would be all over it. Both products seem like a rather odd departure from conventional USB DACs. Network players are very intriguing to me, but one that acts as the DAC and analog stage would have to be rather good to best my Hegel HD12, I would figure. Unless both the ZDSD and ZCD would best most sub $2500 big name DACs. Which is totally possible considering their analog stage and direct(ish) sales through Decware.

But no one seems to be comparing them to the likes of Chord, Hegel, Bryston etc.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 03/10/16 at 04:13:27

Between the two I find the ZDSD has a higher potential for density and usually delivers it when you get the output level set anywhere near -20dB.

That said, I use both the ZCD240 and the ZDSD. I simply use the ZCD240 as a transport which is connected to the digital input of the ZDSD. This way I can use the ZDSD as the DAC for ZCD and I do. However, having the ZCD240 I have on many occasions listened to it by itself, and I have to say it has a slightly lighter on it's feet delicacy and transparency that I find so appealing that I could easily live with it as my only digital source if I had to. Many nights both were there stacked on top of each other but the drive to hook up the ZDSD just wasn't there because I was enjoying the music almost equally well but from a slightly different perspective.  

If you go with the ZDSD, get yourself a stock Tascam CD240 as you wouldn't be taking advantage of the Decware mod, other than the power cord which we replaced with our own shielded cord to lower the noise floor. Granted it's not our silver teflon cord, but that cord is unshielded and in the world of network players, noise on the power cord will effect your perception of liquidity in the music. If you go with the ZCD240 know you are getting almost equal sound quality, less dense, but more air. And let me say that with the Decware output stage less dense in this context means that the player is only 804% more dense than a typical 2 volt output stage vs., the ZDSD's 940% density increase. Pretty much a mute point relative to the norm.

You might also find it a viable option to purchase a ZBIT and hook it to the balanced outputs of either machine.  The result is 95% as good and the same parts are used in all.  The advantage of this would be the fact that the ZBIT will never wear out or fail because it is a passive device with no capacitors or circuit boards.  It can be used for hundreds of years with all your future balanced sources or preamps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Adriankn
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/10/16 at 18:06:09

Thanks so much, Steve. That's all very good information. Now that I know the captive power cord is also upgraded, that's a big bonus. Plus having the variable output voltage is the biggest benefit over my current Hegel HD12, which is still a fairly robust 2.5V. I haven't been able to figure out why it's density and bass is better than most DACs and all the info on Decware seems to point to better output stage. So, if that's what to expect from the ZCD240, it's probably next on my list. Right after I audition and invest in an isolated transformer from Bryston.

I thought about the ZBIT or ZStage, but my cables are worth 70% the value of the DAC and getting another pair to experiment isn't very cost effective. It would be much better to get the ZCD240 and see how I like it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print