Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:08:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bias meter goes to max? (Read 6072 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Bias meter goes to max?
02/21/16 at 00:39:09

Came home last night and as I walked to the spare room to stash my coat and boots, I opened the audio closet and turned on the Rachael and ZP3 (same thing every night). So about 15 seconds, volume down all the way, I hear a pop out of a speaker so opened the door and the left channel bias meter is pegged. Right channel is at 40 which was normal for these tubes (TAD EL34 cryo'ed). I took them both out and put back the original Tungsol's that Steve shipped the amp with. I have had two pair of the TAD's that I bought from the same vendor and had one in each set fail. I used TAD EL84's in my SE84CS+ for years and loved them. Rachael has been on all day and no problems. Has anyone had a similar issue? I will be emailing the vendor since this set of TAD's is still within the 90 day warranty. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Bias meter goes to max?
Reply #1 - 02/29/16 at 21:17:47

Well Ron @ Cryoset received the defective TAD EL 34 last Tuesday, tested it and verified that it would short out after 3 to 5 minutes, send a replacement to me which I rec'd on Friday. Being out of town this weekend I didn't install the TAD EL34 until yesterday, powered it up and it hit the bias point just like to other tube and worked flawlessly all day and night Sunday. Nice to deal with a good vendor like Cryoset Tubes who stands by their products and provides the support when needed. Thanks Lon for the heads up on Ron/Cryoset. I will be buying more from him shortly as I am getting a top of the line Stax Electrostatic earspeakers and tube amp this week (FREE) but I would guess that some new 6FQ7 might be in order. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 02/29/16 at 21:58:02

Great news Chris!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 05/08/16 at 04:01:03

You gotta love meters!  Kind like fire alarms aren't they?

This is also why a grossly oversized power supply (in todays world) is always a good thing.  It actually had to work there for a minute during the dead short.  Didn't blow a fuse, cook a circuit board, fry a tweeter, or anything serious even under the most extreme condition - a dead short.

Thanks for the great post!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 05/08/16 at 15:32:13

You are correct Steve, fire alarms. Over built, over engineered and SO darn musical these products just release beautiful sound day in and day out. Thank you Steve and Team Decware. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print