Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/30/24 at 16:52:14 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Palomino Audio Project (Read 47137 times)
HDDR1
Verified Member

Re: Palomino Audio Project
Reply #450 - 10/10/19 at 22:53:04

Thanks

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #451 - 10/11/19 at 18:47:18

I also found this in an old email from Randy:

Hi Tom,

Here are the inductor values I have tried with one Alpha driver and two wired in parallel -

Alpha (8 ohm) as bass driver

106 HZ 12 mH

127 HZ 10 mH

182 HZ 7 mH

212 HZ 6 mH

255 HZ 5 mH

318 HZ 4 mH

635 HZ 2 mH

Alpha (4 ohm) as bass drivers (2 wired in parallel)

53 HZ 12 mH

63 HZ 10 mH

91 HZ 7 mH

106 HZ 6 mH

128 HZ 5 mH

159 HZ 4 mH

318 HZ 2 mH

I made a couple of boxes (one for each channel) that lets me swap inductors on the fly for testing purposes ..... which works well to tune them to your system and room.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #452 - 10/11/19 at 19:22:53

I continue to be impressed by these Acoustic Elegance LO15s.  I've never heard bass this clear and musical before.  You can hear every bass note if you want to tune into that.  Or if you concentrate on other frequencies in the spectrum or just the song as a whole, its also there but gets out of the way so everything can come through.

Right now I am running them passive with just an inductor but I am going to play with the crossover point in the crown amps to see if I can get a little more upper bass punch without crowding the other frequencies.

I was wrong above when I said I had them crossed at 250hz   After I found Randy's email with the crossover point for the inductor I bought, its only 127Hz.  

As I said above, I'll try different xover frequencies in the crowns to see what sounds the best to me.  using the crowns for these drivers takes the subs out of the equation, but these play low enough that I don't feel a need for them on most songs.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #453 - 10/13/19 at 12:44:36

I would love to hear your thoughts on how the AEs continue to sound compared to the Big Betsys as you experiment with higher crossover points.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #454 - 10/13/19 at 13:38:00

Friday night I stopped running the AE via the zen and hooked them up to a crown amplifier I bought at the fest from JPV.  It has more crossover setting than my old crowns plus when I build a crystal 10 baffle it will almost certainly power the AEs in that configuration because of the efficiency mismatch.

My initial thought was that running via the zen sounded better overall. Crisper, better definition.  I’ll hook them up to the zen again to verify.

For sure they didn’t have as much hit as the F15 so I played with the crossover point. When I got they to around 200hz I felt they were getting close.  

The AE are pretty efficient so I am only running them at about 9:00.  So those are my current setting with the tangbands/AMT.  We’ll see how these change with the crystal 10s.

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #455 - 10/13/19 at 16:29:19

Why I am asking is I am considering putting the Crystal 10s in Steve's largest baffle design, with a support woofer and to start with I would get some Hypex FA122 plate amps to power them and manage a crossover via dsp.  Then over time I grow the rest of my system to get Zen amps, new DAC, etc....

So ideas for a woofer (some a bit crazy):
*  AE LO-15
*  AE Dipole-15
*  Ciare 12NDH-4
*  Faital Pro 15PR400
*  F-15??
*  Another pair of Crystal 10s low passed at 200hz with the main pair running full range untouched.

Anyway things I am contemplating....  I really liked the sound of the Crystal 10s.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #456 - 10/13/19 at 22:55:33

Would the AE Dipole-18 be a choice?

Brian

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #457 - 10/13/19 at 23:40:02

With what I am up to yes.  I would need to talk to John at AE to understand the differences between the Dipole and LO series and then what sounds different between the 15" and 18".  I don't want to get too heavy of a cone and lose detail and articulation in the bass - if that is possible.  I am not an expert in this at all and would talk to John for his advice.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #458 - 10/14/19 at 03:24:36

That is my wonder too. Would the heavy mass of the 18 cause it to lack crispness and detail.
An interesting puzzle.

Brian

IP Logged
BillW
Verified Member

Reply #459 - 10/15/19 at 16:40:54

I expect that does become more and more of a challenge as driver diameter increases.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #460 - 10/16/19 at 03:34:32

On the other hand, Bl is stronger on the 18" at 11.24 T/m while the 15", 12" and 10" all use 8.8.  Qts of the 18" is tighter at 0.81 than the 15" more floppy Qts: 0.94.

If I had speaker buying money, this 18" Open Baffle speaker attracts me. But then so does their 18"  TD18H+  high efficiency speaker for use in an ultraflex cabinet similar to the Decware NFX. With maybe a 12" as midrange. It ought to make a speaker to maximise the sharp slam from big drivers and long projection we read about.  

At least that is an idea I had.

Brian

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #461 - 10/16/19 at 14:09:53

Well, I took the plunge and bought some Crystal 10s.  I have sold most of my old equipment so I have some funds to play with.

For break in, and until I figure out the baffle, I rear mounted them in my existing baffles.  This is not optimal as they have a 1 ½” tunnel to project through but fine for now.  The AMT tweeter is not connected.

They have no bass because they are in a 12” baffle and haven’t broken in yet.

I am using the new Crown to run the AELO15s.  What I love about the new Crown is you can adjust the xover on the fly and hear it as you go.  With the older model crown, you have to adjust and then set it before you can hear the outcome.  The new Crown also has many more xover settings.  So right now, due to the lack of bass I am crossing at 200hz.  I tried higher and lower and it either got muffled or the middle was too thin,

The Crystal 10s, as mentioned elsewhere are a very refined driver.  Early on it seems I have picked up some detail, but mostly, it refines the sound.  Very good separation of instruments, precise and thus far show promise to be musical.  Combined with the AE woofer, this is clearly the most refined speaker I have put together.

My thinking is after seeing Randy’s latest two-driver Betsy at the fest is to do something similar in a medium Betsy shaped baffle.  Maybe as tall as the big Betsy's but perhaps not as wide so they don’t overwhelm the room like the Big Betsey’s do visually.  

I love the hardwood look and sound so I will probably stick with what I used in my Big Betsy’s.  I am interested in Steve’s comments about his Baltic birch as I have several pieces leftover in the garage.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #462 - 10/16/19 at 15:51:42

Awesome Tom! You've put your equipment money to good use. Will be interested to read your future impressions.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #463 - 10/16/19 at 15:52:51

Awesome Tom! You've put your equipment money to good use. Will be interested to read your future impressions.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BillW
Verified Member

Reply #464 - 10/16/19 at 16:31:20

All oooohhs and aaaaahhhs here, ditto what Lon said.  I’m definitely intrigued in this approach and will be following along.  :)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #465 - 10/16/19 at 16:39:36

Will do.

i was surprised to see that this thread has over 168,000 views.  So there are some people out there that appear to be interested in seeing where this ends up.  Either that or they are waiting for the train wreck to happen Smiley

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #466 - 10/17/19 at 07:34:24

Hey Pal,

Great idea to use Randy's offset design for the Crystal 10 and the AE. I bet that will sound great, top to bottom.

I have a suggestion for you, and anyone else looking for a large, thick baffle - I ran across a guy selling solid exterior doors on Craigslist for $75.00. They were 36" wide, 80" tall, and either 1.75 or 2" thick. If you cut them in half, you'd have 2 panels @ 36"x40". They aren't hardwood all the way thru, but it's hard to beat the price. Plus, no glueing/sandwiching panels to get the thickness. Just a thought.

Looking forward to your listening impressions, whatever baffle you choose.

Randy

IP Logged
BillW
Verified Member

Reply #467 - 10/19/19 at 14:18:51

I’ll add, look for used butcher block remnants, counters, tables, etc. often people are “updating” their dining table/set these tables sell fairly inexpensively.

Also, see IKEA. If you live within distance of an actual store, they usually have decent options for larger baffles in the Scratch and Dent area.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #468 - 10/19/19 at 16:05:43

I will probably do my stair tread build.  Not expensive, easy to glue, nice grain and I can put some different kind of wood in the middle a la Randy.

I have an ikea close to my house so I’ll give that a look.

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #469 - 10/20/19 at 03:23:25

So - you have both the F15s and the Crystal 10's now.  What about using the F15s as a bass driver for the Crystal 10s given we all the love the hit and impact of the F-15s?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #470 - 10/20/19 at 12:45:43

I could give that a try.  I just always envisioned using the AE LO15s because of the low bass.  They are no slouches in the punch department, just not as much upper bass punch.

The bass on the AE LO15s is the cleanest bass presentation I’ve heard to date.

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #471 - 10/20/19 at 19:02:42

Well the AE LO15s go on my list then.  I will start with some 15" GRS woofers at parts express for $30 that are suppose to be pretty decent.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #472 - 10/23/19 at 13:57:34

Well, it took some time, but the Crystal 10s went from good to great and I am not sure they are done yet.  I probably have 60-70 hours on them.  Great textures and timbre.

My only complaint was they sounded a little narrow or having a smaller soundstage.  So I have been playing with toe-in and have adjusted them to less toe in to increase the size of the sound stage.  I am still looking for the optimum angle that maximizes depth but produces the widest stage.

So generally, lots gets adjusted as you dial in some speakers.  So far crossover, bias, input tube and toe-in.  I may revisit VR tubes and even rectifier.  

But this combination continues to show great promise.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #473 - 10/23/19 at 16:42:15

Pal, which model Crown amp are you using?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #474 - 10/23/19 at 16:59:23

Pal, you are about halfway there with break in. It took several hundred hours for mine to get there. Really loving them.  I went back to using the 12" Alpha's I got from Randy, and my REL sub for more depth.  I think it is about right now.  I'd love to find out how good the  AE's are, but really don't want to spend that much for a pair. I understand from Randy that Lii will shortly release a bass driver that might be a little less expensive. I'll wait and see what the outcome with that is.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
BillW
Verified Member

Reply #475 - 10/23/19 at 17:29:02

Geno, that bass driver is already in the hands of a member on a different forum and they are 15” drivers with (reportedly) a dual voice-coil, they have HUGE magnets on them and weigh a ton!

Not sure of the forums protocol here and want to be respectful and appropriate. You are welcome to PM me if you have interest and I’ll point you to them.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #476 - 10/23/19 at 17:35:45

Yeah, the AE are costly.  I only bought them after hearing them at Axpona.  Even then, it was a bit of a risk.

I would like to hear about the new driver.  I can send PM.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #477 - 10/23/19 at 23:16:28

I think of Hawthorne Angie’s as power, 15As as speed and tone. AE is a combination of both plus detail.  

Another bass driver I have heard several times but could never get a good handle on are pure audio projects 15” bass drivers.  I think they are manufactured by Eminence but different magnet structure than the 15A.  To me they sounded like the 15A so I couldn’t justify the extra cash.

In terms of price to performance ratio, the 15A is hard to beat.  I think it’s why it’s been so popular for so long.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #478 - 10/24/19 at 00:12:31

I like my 15 Alphas. They seem to keep up with my Tang Bands quickness wise.
Plus they are dirt cheap, and since I was buying 4......

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
BillW
Verified Member

Reply #479 - 10/24/19 at 00:41:57

I have a pair of 15As sitting fresh in their boxes. Do you suspect I’ll need them to supplement the F15s in a medium birch ply baffle? That may make for some “creative” placement considerations.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #480 - 10/24/19 at 02:29:23

No I wouldn’t expect you’d need them.  Both drivers play down to around 50hz.  

If you have the F15s in the right baffle you can get plenty of low end.  I run dual subs sometimes but it’s only to cover that 50-20hz range that is extenuated in some music.  

For the most part, I would not mess with the formula of the Big Betsy.  A Single driver that covers as much of the frequency range as the F15 does is a rarity in terms of cohesive sound. Don’t potentially mess it up with a crossover.

IP Logged
BillW
Verified Member

Reply #481 - 10/24/19 at 04:13:23

Roger that.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #482 - 10/24/19 at 12:38:46

Donnie, the speed is the reason I transitioned from the powerful Aggie’s to the 15As.  That and not needing an additional amplifier.  

My son misses the Angie’s each time he stops by but he makes/listens to a lot of electronic music.  He also plays the bass guitar and likes the raw power.

This weekend if I get time I will try the AE without the crown amp.  I could get away with it with the Tang Band/AMT combo but they are also rated around 94db.

Based on Genos latest YouTube video I can tell my crystal 10s need some more seasoning but the already have me pretty satisfied.  I am doing that listening to all my favorites picking up new things routine.  

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #483 - 10/25/19 at 05:22:15

Interesting comparison of 15 inch speakers.
Could someone comment on the difference of sound between Neodymium magnet and ferrite?
I see some makers offer both on their 15". The neo usually play to a higher frequency. This makes me suspect they would be clearer, is it so?

Thanks, Brian

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #484 - 10/25/19 at 15:07:28

Geno, that Lii Audio bass driver is already in the hands of a member on a different forum and they are 15” drivers with (reportedly) a dual voice-coil, they have HUGE magnets on them and weigh a ton!

Not sure of the forums protocol here and want to be respectful and appropriate. You are welcome to PM me if you have interest and I’ll point you to them.

Thanks to Bill, I got in touch with Lii to check on new bass drivers they were supposed to be releasing in the near future. A member on audiokarma had gotten hold of a pair of them (15").  I checked with them to see if they had any 12" units in the works as well. Below is the response:

Lii_Audio_W-12.PNG

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #485 - 10/25/19 at 15:10:09

Thanks Geno.  Wow, that really looks like an AE woofer.

How efficient is it???

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #486 - 10/25/19 at 15:10:39

These are on the way for $390 shipped!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #487 - 10/25/19 at 15:12:19

Pal, not sure, but evidently, designed for open baffle use.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #488 - 10/25/19 at 15:21:07

I'm interested because I really love the AE, but I have been running another amp (even with the AE at 94db efficiency) because of the efficiency of the Crystal 10s.  

Not the end of the world, but part of my recent quest has been achieving simplicity.

The openness and detail of the Crystal 10s already far surpasses the Tang Band/AMT combo.  And your video got me pumped because it revealed to me that there is more to come.

Who was the artist by the way?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #489 - 10/25/19 at 15:25:30

Over The Rainbow / If I Only Had A Brain - Tuck Andress

Album - Reckless Precision

One of my YouTube, fell down the rabbit hole, bouncing around, discoveries. I've figured out how to save the audio for YouTube videos. Quite a few are top quality - as good as my HD files.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #490 - 10/25/19 at 15:27:29

Thanks!

IP Logged
HDDR1
Verified Member

Reply #491 - 11/01/19 at 17:50:41

How are the Crystal 10s coming along?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #492 - 11/01/19 at 18:01:50

Quite nicely.  I am still not getting much bass but I think that is baffle width related.  I think I have the crossover point figured out and they combine really well with the acoustic elegance.  

They are certainly the clearest most detailed speakers I own.  Now that they are more broken in,  I am going to do some A/B with the big Betsy’s to see which pair is the most “musical.”  That’s hard to define but it will be the pair I want to listen to more.

IP Logged
Nixxuz
Verified Member

Reply #493 - 11/03/19 at 12:00:22

I went with the Fast 10's in a slightly different configuration, based on the fact the Fast are currently half the price of the Crystal. According to Lii, on their FB group, the Crystal are slightly better in the top end, but considering my hearing only goes to about 14khz, it's not a problem.

I'm also using a Crown for low end, albeit the older XLS1000. I used the built in low pass function for a bit, but have now decided to go with a MiniDSP 2x4 instead, so as to limit the Fast 10's to slightly higher than their natural roll off. I'm running the Fast down to 100hz with a Bessel crossover, and a pair of Dayton Ultimax UM10's up to 160hz with the same. The Ultimax will be enclosed in a vented slot enclosure, while sharing the rather different baffle I shaped. I went with the butcher block idea using the inexpensive European birch ones from Home Depot. I also rear mounted them with a simple 3/4" bevel. I'm not hearing any problems running them with a 1-1/2" depth.
Here's a bad pic of the full baffles, sans enclosures as of now, and a beauty shot of the Fast.
https://imgur.com/duhpFCT
https://imgur.com/eMhUy7z

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #494 - 11/04/19 at 21:41:51

You definitely spent less than me!  I still have two xls 1000s and use them for sub duty.  I'll check out the home depot wood, but I think my configuration sounds very very good and thus I have deemed them hardwoodworthy.

I am thinking about a two tone approach as I have always liked what Randy done with his Betsy Baffles.  I am still thinking about the baffle size.  It definitely won't be as big as the Big Betsy's.

I got a Jasper Jig on sale and a spiral bit but I will likely not get to these until Christmas break.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #495 - 11/04/19 at 22:04:48

Palo,
Will you need any help sanding? I sure do like to sand.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #496 - 11/04/19 at 22:06:10

Are you hardwoodworthy?

IP Logged
Nixxuz
Verified Member

Reply #497 - 11/06/19 at 12:44:45

Weeeeell, supposedly, the butcher block slabs I got from HD are "hardwood". I used a friends garage to jig out the holes, and he stated that, while they were perfect for my purposes, they were the softest "hardwood" he's seen in some time. But that's what they are advertised as. I actually have some reclaimed 100+ year old black walnut, but there are some problems with it that I wasn't willing to address at this time.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #498 - 11/06/19 at 16:01:41

Can you post a picture of the wood?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #499 - 11/07/19 at 23:47:17

Balsa is a hardwood - so a hardwood doesn't necessarily mean it's hard, but instead it has to do with the structure...which is typically broad leaf and uses vessels to transport water and nutrients throughout the wood.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print