Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 16:43:45 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Palomino Audio Project (Read 48397 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Palomino Audio Project
Reply #250 - 02/23/17 at 18:23:08

I should get my Betsys this week or early next.  I would love for Raven to hear his Betsys in my room (since they are nice and broken in).  Also, I'd like him to hear the comparison to the tang bands.

I have painted one of the MDF baffles that Raven and I made a few weeks ago and have the other one primed.  Not happy with the paint job on the one so I may sand a little and put another coat on this weekend.

I also tried some new Audirvana settings that Will suggested and they may be the best ones yet.  They are very smooth and analogue to use an overused phrase.

I also built another 2X2 QRD13 diffuser to help with a problem posed by a desk that still resides in my listening room.  I think the reflections off that desk were causing some clutter up front and now with the QRD in front of it, the sound seems improved.

So the project continues.  I am looking forward to getting the MDF baffles back in place once they are painted.  Bass is pretty crisp with the old baffles so I am looking forward to seeing if I get another lift.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #251 - 02/23/17 at 20:36:56

It's amazing how much "lift" we keep getting...I'm constantly thinking "this can't get *any* better without major changes" - then we find some small change that causes us to raise our eyebrows in wonder.

So....when do you want me to come by and help you move that desk out of there?  ;)  

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #252 - 02/23/17 at 20:37:47

I got to kick a kid out the door first !

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #253 - 02/23/17 at 20:44:27

Quote:
I got to kick a kid out the door first !

Do you need help with that? LOL

I'm available Saturday or Sunday around Noon (currently) if you want me to pop by for a listen...and to get my speakers.  ;)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #254 - 02/23/17 at 20:45:14

yeah that might be good.  I'll let you know.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #255 - 02/23/17 at 22:24:52

Palo,
You know how I like putting a nice finish on speakers, I'd be more than happy to make your baffles shine.
I'm in the midst of of a transmission line sub project that promises to make the entire neighborhood pissed off at me, but there is always time to help you out.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #256 - 02/23/17 at 22:29:01

Thanks Donnie.

Raven also as a professional spray setup that I could always try to bum off him if I really wanted to do it right.  

Given I change speakers frequently, I don't know how much more work I am going to put into them.  I find that black paint covers many flubs.  In this case though I tried gloss black.  Bad idea.

I am interested in the sub project.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #257 - 02/24/17 at 15:36:15

Yeah, gloss black is like a mirror - every wave and imperfection shows up. Car guys hate doing black cars because it shows and magnifies  all the flaws.

I wouldn't say have a professional spray setup - I do have a pretty decent HVLP gun I'm learning to use though.  ;)

Unfortunately I'm not going to be using it on my speakers, but I'll be using it on the diffusers really soon. I'm going to try flat black (waterbase) on the styro ones I built, and might try an oil base on the poplar diffusers. We'll see how that turns out. It's actually pretty easy to clean, which was a big worry for me - but then I've only shot water based latex so far.  We'll see what happens when I start doing oil based finishes and the crap gets everywhere over the outside of the gun (and myself) because I'm clumsy.  LOL

I have tonight off, and I'm picking up the Omega's from the local Fed Ex depot (assuming they don't drop the ball today). So I'm going to give them a listen and get back to projects. I'll report back over the weekend.  ;)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #258 - 03/01/17 at 18:58:12

Here is what they look like painted.  I still may re-paint the right one because it is just not as well done as the left one.

The lesson learned from this phase of project is:

OB Baffle density matters.  Crisper everything.  Bass, mids, highs, imaging, etc.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #259 - 03/01/17 at 21:02:56

Looks good my friend!

I also notice you pulled the pad off the top of the Ikea chair.  ;)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #260 - 03/01/17 at 21:25:27

Yeah, I have tried it a few times in the past.  It does help.

I typically just put the existing pad up vertically and it stays put till I move which is a bit of a pain.   I really need to make a small pillow of sorts and connect it to the crossbar.

I don't think I would take as radical an approach as you in cutting the cross-bar out, but you never know...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #261 - 03/02/17 at 17:18:40

There are a couple Ikea Poang chairs for sale in the FB marketplace. I might pick one up and experiment with cutting and adjusting. Make it a proper audiophile chair with a tilted and adjustable headrest.  I know I talked of that before, but funding is holding me back.

~Eric~

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #262 - 03/13/17 at 20:13:19

I found a little hidden treasure this weekend in my pursuit of bass speakers to go with my Betsy OB build.  

I dropped off a bunch of donations at Goodwill this weekend and then decided to stroll into the store to see what electronics they had.  Lo and behold, I found these large floorstanding Sony speakers.  I pulled off the front grill on one of them and found a 3-way with a 15" bass speaker with a mounting bolt pattern that was very familiar.

So I Google the specs for the model number.  30-20Hz, 91db efficiency.  Hmmmm.

So I look at the price: only $6.99!  I was driving the van so I had room to take them home so I figured why not.  Turns out they were $6.99 a piece once I got up to the counter to check out, but I figured it was still worth the risk.

So I get it home and pull one of the bass drivers to see if the holes match up.  Perfect match.

Overall though, this had to be one of the cheapest constructed speaker I have ever seen.  Not even 1/2" low density particle board.  They didn't even use a full length plastic tube for the port.  Instead, it was plastic on the outside and then a cardboard tube glued to it on the inside.  And no cross-over really, just a single teeny cap on the mid range.

So, I begin to get nervous.  Had I just squandered $16??  That's a bottle of wine or 2/3 of a fifth of Scotch (I drink cheap).  I do not take such things lightly.

Anyway, I put them in my original Palomino Audio Project baffles along with the Betsys and gave them a listen.

Not bad!  Actually, better than not bad.  Musical even.

No, they weren't as punchy as the Augies.  Nor as tight.  But they dig pretty deep and move some air.  They are keepers!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #263 - 03/15/17 at 17:14:39

I have been doing some A/B with the Augies and these little Goodwill buys are pretty impressive.  I think they may go lower than the Augies and possibly pull out a little more music given they are higher efficiency.

I did discover that one of them has a stain on the cone.  Probably somebody spilled a drink on them, but otherwise they are in pretty good shape.  They do have a foam surround which may be a problem some day.

Compared to the augie, the magnet is pretty dinky, so I wasn't expecting much but they are turning out to be one of my best audio bargains yet.

I will get el president over to get his impressions.  Maybe he will bring the souped up Zen...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #264 - 03/15/17 at 18:23:00

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to hearing them! And I'm looking forward to showing off the little Zen amp that could!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #265 - 05/02/17 at 14:18:11

I was planning on yard work last weekend but the weather did not cooperate.  Instead I decided to make some baffles for my Betsys and Thrift-store-find 15s.

I wanted some thing smaller and lighter because WAF is an issue at the cottage where I don't have a dedicated room.  I used 1" MDF instead of doubling up the 3/4" that El Presidente and I did for the bigger version.  I also cut these down several inches on each side (wish I would have cut them down more).  These weigh a lot less and are much easier to move around.  I may need to move them off to the side when not in use.

The larger version was over $900 for the drivers/wood.  The smaller version was around $200.  These sound very fine for what I have in to them.  The thrift store 15s will run off the plate amp.  If I get a deal, I will definitely buy another Crown.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #266 - 05/02/17 at 18:29:59

Photos not working brother.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #267 - 05/02/17 at 18:51:23

Hmmm, worked in the preview.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #268 - 05/03/17 at 00:17:21

palo,

is there a pic of the backside of either of your ob's?  courious how its standing up, or any bracing, and what ur doing for xo?

tim

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #269 - 05/03/17 at 01:03:36

No pic but there is simply a 12" foot attached to the bottom.  If you zoom in on the picture you can see 4 counter sunk screws across the bottom.  I just glued it and screwed it.  Both the weight of the foot and the magnet weight on the drivers keep it from falling forward.  It is very stable.  This is the same thing Randy does on his Betsy baffles.  He may have some additional bracing.

For xover it's in the crown amp.  I think right now it is set to 83hz.  I like it set a little lower on the Augies and a bit higher on the Betsys as I feel they need a little more of the bottom end filled in.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #270 - 05/03/17 at 15:24:46

Pics seem to be good now - thanks. Looks good brother!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #271 - 10/30/17 at 14:49:10

Well, there have been some advancement in the project so I thought I would give an update.

One of my takeaways from Decfest this year was the sound that I heard from one of Randy’s creations where he added an Air Motion Transformer to his Besty Baffle speakers.  This design utilizes his standard Besty Baffle with a whizzerless Besty driver and a Dayton Audio AMT.  

To me, this created some very smooth treble, and because he was running the AMT in dipole, it also created a very large soundstage and sense of air.  When combined with a companion Eminence woofer in a separate baffle with a crossover, I thought this provided great sound for the money and an advance on Randy’s earlier designs.

Randy was kind enough to set me up with a pair of the AMTs, caps and coils.  I chose 12K as the initial cross-over point based on where Randy was crossing his design and a peak that shows up around this point in the W8 1808 spec chart.   Randy runs his design without a coil on the whizzerless Betsy, but I felt eliminating some of that peak would be helpful on tracks that can get a bit ragged and shouty on the Tang Bands.

Initially out of the box, you realize these are pretty serious drivers.  Heavy magnets on either side and a heavy face plate give the feel of quality.  There are two pieces of a heavy wool-like insulation which can be removed from the back of each driver to allow them to operate in dipole mode.

To get my first taste, I placed them sideways, leaning up against a CD case, on top of another set of speakers set up beside my OBs.  I only used the cap on the AMT for this experiment.  Here is my first report to Randy:  

I got most of what I was looking for even with this crude setup.  Sweeter, smoother highs and a bigger overall image.  

But I decided that there was too much treble, so I did add the coil to the Tang Bands.  To me it sounds like a very smooth transition now and crossing them at 12K does indeed seem to be just about right.

I am also getting some very good information that was missing before.  More likely to hear singers breath, fingers on the strings and such. I do believe it has cut down on the rising frequency response issue as well.

These AMTs could be added to my current 1.5” mdf baffles, but the question was where to put them on the baffle and would placing them lower and beside another driver impede the sound?

So I made up some mini-baffles out of Baltic birch and mounted them to the left of the Tang Bands, but on top, like a little tab sticking up from the top of the baffle.  I’d post a picture, but I need to find another site due to photobucket restricting posting of pictures to another web site.

Well, I didn’t like the sound as much as when I just had them sitting on top of the speakers on the outside of each OB.  It seemed to restrict the sound stage width.  

So I moved them to the other side of the baffle, to the right (as you face the OB) of the Tang Bands.  This seemed to be better spacing which allowed for the wide soundstage.  Having them up top also raised the position of the vocalist and generally raised the level of the overall soundstage.  I think I will try one more position which would be directly above the Tang Band, but I need to cut my birch baffles a bit so they will fit.

The long and the short of it is that this is a great setup and helps overcome some of the issues with the single driver sound and add a great sense of air.  I enjoy a lot of live recordings and this is just the ticket for that kind of open sound.  I do feel that things are breaking in and the final sound of this setup could even be better.  I probably have about 20 hours on them now.

Once broken in, I will try to get a couple more set of ears over here to see what they think.  I might get a little crazy and break out the measurement mic.

You could argue that I had to add a cap and coil which adds more to the signal path.  But I am hearing more detail than I heard before and the treble is more pleasant.  I think I also lost a little volume and had to turn down the Crown amps running the Augies one notch to compensate and keep things balanced.  

BTW, I am also impressed with the price/performance ratio on the Auracaps that Randy recommended.  I have a pair of Mundorf ZNs that I will probably swap in, but I’ll wait till these new caps have some more hours on them.

P.S. I like to monkey around with building speakers but if you just want good sound at a very reasonable price and no sawdust: http://caintuckaudio.com/

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #272 - 10/30/17 at 22:37:55

My plan is to use an AMT tweeter in my next speaker build. A super top secret transmission line using 2-8” drivers, one pointed up like a radial and then the tweeter.. I really need to buy some woodworking tools.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #273 - 10/31/17 at 02:20:32

They are also using an AMT driver in Spatial Audio's new X2 OB.  The AMT's crossover is at 800Hz and covers both the mid and upper ranges to 23kHz.  Overall sensitivity = 94dB @ 4ohms ... a very sexy looking speaker IMO.  I imagine this will sound much smoother than their other models that paired a 1" coaxial tweeter with 15" woofers.  Too bad it costs $9600 though!

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #274 - 10/31/17 at 04:44:44

Hi Beowulf,

I have been looking into the Spatial Audio’s for quite some time now, particularly the M3 Triode Masters (at 95 dB efficiency and 16 ohms) to match my SE84UFO.  Actually, when I wrote to Clayton (the owner of the company), he mentioned it would not be a good match as he thinks that the M3 Triode Masters need at least 10 watts per channel.  

The SE puts a very generous 2 watts per channel and makes my 91 dB speakers with some complex crossovers shine already, so I cannot imagine how goodit would sound with the Spatials.  Still, one side of me tends to listen to the designer of the speaker, and I do not want to abuse the 60-day return policy...

I would appreciate if anyone with experience with the Sparials chime in...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #275 - 10/31/17 at 09:19:24

alper_yilmaz wrote on 10/31/17 at 04:44:44:
Hi Beowulf,

I have been looking into the Spatial Audio’s for quite some time now, particularly the M3 Triode Masters (at 95 dB efficiency and 16 ohms) to match my SE84UFO.  Actually, when I wrote to Clayton (the owner of the company), he mentioned it would not be a good match as he thinks that the M3 Triode Masters need at least 10 watts per channel.  

The SE puts a very generous 2 watts per channel and makes my 91 dB speakers with some complex crossovers shine already, so I cannot imagine how goodit would sound with the Spatials.  Still, one side of me tends to listen to the designer of the speaker, and I do not want to abuse the 60-day return policy...

I would appreciate if anyone with experience with the Sparials chime in...

I would probably go with the manufacturer's recommendation.  The closest Decware amp would be the Rachel (set as monos) or Torii Jr. and up.  The new Decware 6c33c mono blocks (when they come out) should have the wattage necessary to drive them as well.

If it were me I would probably choose the Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Heil over anything of Spatial Audio's lineup (up to the X2 that is) as I think they are designed better.  They are also a better fit for your Zen amp ...

• The impedance on the Spatial M3 Triode Masters is 16 ohms whereas the PAP Trio 15 Heil is 3.5 to 8 ohms and the little Zen amps are known to like lower impedances.
  • The minimum amp wattage on the PAP Trio 15 Heil is only 3.5 watts and the Spatial is 10 watts.
  • They are $400 cheaper as well.

The Spatial X2 look to be a much better speaker than all the others in his lineup (aside from the X1).  But the X2 are $9600 and Pure Audio Project has some really nice offerings in the price range as well namely the Trio 15 Voxativ with the AC-PiFe drivers and the build quality of those drivers are pretty kick a$$ as they make some of the best single driver speakers in the business IMO.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #276 - 11/01/17 at 18:06:52

Those Spatials are pretty sexy.  Those Spatial baffles were part of the reason why I beefed up my baffle thickness on my OBs.  

I do recall talking to him at Axpona and I thought he said 8-10 watts.  I don't specifically remember which model I heard but I do recall liking the PAP with the Tang Band W8s better.

Unfortunately, last year the PAP room didn't have the Voxativ going.  He didn't have some tool required to mount them or something.  Instead they were running some kind of horn.  Given the taste I have of the AMTs, I'd like to hear that version.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #277 - 11/01/17 at 20:18:02

Huh, that T-shaped open baffle was exactly what I was planning on doing with my Betsy speakers! I wanted mass, but to still be open, and have a solid 3 points of contact with the floor so you could adjust the tilt with threaded feets.

I guess my imagination was on the right track.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #278 - 11/01/17 at 20:21:39

I had threaded feet on my original design to change the angle.  Being as tall as they were, I didn't need much of an angle.  Given the tall soundstage the Betsys throw, I am not sure how necessary it is.  Might be more necessary in a smaller room.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #279 - 11/01/17 at 22:37:59

My OB's sit straight up and down. Not because of some sort of fancy math equation, but because I'm lazy.
I did try sticking some old Hunter S. Thompson books under the front once but it didn't do anything for me. Maybe they were too existential!?
There was that other time when I put $4.29 worth of expanded foam pipe insulation under the baffles to "isolate" them from the floor, again, nothing earth shattering happened. For just a buck more I could have gotten one of those box meals at Taco Bell and had to isolate myself in my bathroom for the next day or two. I'm not too sure of what would have made a better investment.
"Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why.”
― Hunter S. Thompson, The Curse of Lono

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #280 - 11/02/17 at 08:57:57

@ Pal and Raven ~ Yeah, the double thick baffle on the X2 look pretty stout!  I also like the modular stacking of them and the way they connect to each other via some type of allen nut and bolt system.  I have heard that another sub can be added and will be available at a later date (if one was inclined).  Not that I have the skills to build this, but if I did that's what I would try to make something like the X2 as well.

But for the price though the Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Heil AMT is looking pretty good IMO.

@ Donnie ~ freakin' hilarious! Cheesy Grin

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #281 - 11/02/17 at 12:29:49

Ever heard this one Donnie?

"When to going gets tough, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S Thompson

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #282 - 11/02/17 at 17:10:02

Palo,
I've held my Weirdo  Professional classification since I was 16 years old!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #283 - 11/11/17 at 00:17:52

I ended up moving the AMTs to just above the Tang Band and that's where they will stay.  I lose a little in soundstage width, but gain better overall continuity.

I also swapped in some Mundorf Zn's for the Audyn Caps.  Sound is richer, but I lost some air.  The Mundorfs are triple the price.  I am keping them in for now, but will switch back at some point to see which I will live with.

With a little break-in, these AMTs are really nice and I am digging the overall sound.  Great addition to the Palomino Audio Project.

I may look at other drivers to cover the lower to upper mids, but I find these Tang Bands to be pretty rich as well.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #284 - 11/11/17 at 12:37:59

Thought you guys might enjoy this, except LR, who should skip the section on Listening Rooms : )

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/conclusions.htm

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #285 - 11/11/17 at 13:53:37

Good stuff Dave.  I have read bits and pieces of his page before and checked out his speaker designs.  I don't think I've ever read his conclusions.  Yes, El Presidente should probably give the Listening Room section a pass. Others who can't load their rooms up with sound treatments will take heart.

I stumbled into this speaker project with a little information gleaned from the Web and direction provided by Randy and Maddog but it would appear, in this fellow's opinion, I got some things right.

I also liked this statement:

It is difficult to screw up an open baffle speaker design to where it sounds worse than your typical box speaker.

I found it encouraging, but I am not sure I completely agree.  It has taken quite a bit of time and tweaking for me to get these OBs to the point where I have few reservations about them.

I also stumbled into this by just experimenting:

Placing absorbers at reflection points is the wrong approach. It only absorbs high frequencies and increases the difference between the direct sound and the delayed room response. It works against perceptually masking the room response as merely a copy of the direct sound.

I have found diffusers at the first reflection points to work better with these OBs.

I am at a very comfortable place right now with the way that my room/equipment sounds.  Yes, I have heard more detail, deeper bass, etc. from other systems.  But in a holistic sense and the pure ability to deliver an enjoyable, immersive listening experience, I am at a very good place.  

Getting the highs to a more pleasant place via the AMT and the overall image it helps project was a fairly big step.

And yet, I know there is still much more to be done, both with my equipment and my room.

For some reason, my new Mac mini does not like REW.  Once I figure that out, I will contribute some measurements to the sound treatment threads in hopes of getting some direction from those who actually understand this stuff.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #286 - 11/11/17 at 14:13:11

My own experience makes me think this is a pretty accurate statement:

People listen differently. Performing musicians and members of the audience are used to different perspectives and focus on different aspects of the sound. Both are valuable for analyzing a loudspeaker. People who only listen to loudspeakers and thus always compare loudspeakers are poor judges of accuracy.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #287 - 11/11/17 at 14:58:57

I am one of the lucky people who have gotten to actually listen to Palomino's speakers in his treated room.
I will admit that my first impression was that "These guys are nuts, this is as far off of the deep end as I have ever seen". But there is a method behind the madness. Wow does Palo's speakers and room sound good, and when I say good I mean great!
The detail, the imaging, all of those fancy audiophile descriptors, all come true.
In his room even my ill conceived, poorly designed, and terribly executed OB's sounded pretty OK. Not near as good as the Palomino Project, but in the right neighborhood.
I bet that the AMT tweeter has pushed these speakers way over the top.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #288 - 11/11/17 at 18:59:49

Thanks Donnie.  I am glad you lugged your OBs up here so I could hear them.  

I figured out how to get REW going.  Now I need to remember how to use it.

Lon, I used to be lucky enough to hear a lot of live music.  Lately it has been stuff my kids want to go to. I found the United Center to actually be better than expected but not exactly concert hall quality.  

One fun thing lately is that one of my kids is really into music and listens to a lot of 60s-80s music.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #289 - 11/11/17 at 20:38:35

Does anybody have a guess as to why the AMT isn't used in a lot more speakers?  It's been around since 1972 for crying out loud and it's very efficient ... seems like tube'ophiles would be all over it.  The ESS AMT LE for instance does 98db @ 8 ohms with a freq response of 30-23k +/- 3db!

Does it have some weird crossover point, dips or bumps, etc.?

I've never heard it though ... or maybe I have in some different forms from Martin Logan and GoldenEar, etc. and just never paid much attention to it as I did not realize those brands incorporated an iteration of it in their designs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #290 - 11/11/17 at 21:33:33

Palomino wrote on 11/11/17 at 18:59:49:
Lon, I used to be lucky enough to hear a lot of live music.  Lately it has been stuff my kids want to go to. I found the United Center to actually be better than expected but not exactly concert hall quality.   

I don't get out that much these days either, but we both have been out enough in the past to have an "ear" that will help us evaluate the "reality" in music reproduction, or lack of same.

I also found the three years or so that I played in bands (out in clubs and in the garage apartment I lived in, and one studio) to give me an interesting perspective. I remember some jazz fans last century bitching about the sound of a few reissue series of jazz releases from the 'fifties and the 'sixties saying that the sound was too loud and upfront. . . whereas what I heard reminded me of the sound one hears from a band when you are on stage or on the floor with them, among them, which may not be a great listening experience in a living room or via headphones, but the way these were recorded was an accurate presentation. And gave a certain excitement to the sound.

We all bring our history into the present, and that includes into our listening.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #291 - 11/11/17 at 21:37:16

Palomino wrote on 11/11/17 at 18:59:49:
One fun thing lately is that one of my kids is really into music and listens to a lot of 60s-80s music.  

That is very cool. I can still remember listening to music with my Dad when I was younger, seeing how it comforted and moved him and learning to feel similarly. And then later as a teen seeing a different reaction from my Dad to the music I was beginning to really appreciate. (My Dad did not know what to make of a few of my real favorites, "Miles Davis at Fillmore" and "Live/Evil").

Now, decades and decades later, I've been able to listen with my Dad again and learn a lot from him about classical music, which we are both hearing in even better fidelity than we had in the past. Music is a great thing to share.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #292 - 11/12/17 at 00:43:07

Beo,

I don't know why there isn't more out there.  The parts express reviews are pretty positive.  

I think it tops out around 18k but I can't hear that high anyway.  

The heil is expensive and difficult to mount and this one is supposed to approach its quality.  

It was easy to cross and I did break out REW and no bumps.  It does seem to tail off an bit more than what it think I hear.

In the reviews people talk about crossing  them pretty low without issues.

So long answer to say I don't know.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #293 - 11/14/17 at 16:25:50

Quote:
I am one of the lucky people who have gotten to actually listen to Palomino's speakers in his treated room.
I will admit that my first impression was that "These guys are nuts, this is as far off of the deep end as I have ever seen". But there is a method behind the madness. Wow does Palo's speakers and room sound good, and when I say good I mean great!
The detail, the imaging, all of those fancy audiophile descriptors, all come true.
In his room even my ill conceived, poorly designed, and terribly executed OB's sounded pretty OK. Not near as good as the Palomino Project, but in the right neighborhood.
I bet that the AMT tweeter has pushed these speakers way over the top.

I agree 100%. Besides Steve's dedicated room I heard 20 years ago, Tom's is the best I've heard since. Granted, I've not spent time in $100,000 dedicated rich-people-rooms.

Oh, and Donnie is modest, I really liked his OBs.

Quote:
Yes, El Presidente should probably give the Listening Room section a pass

Quote:
Thought you guys might enjoy this, except LR, who should skip the section on Listening Rooms : )

This is me reading his B.S. about "The Room is Rarely At Fault"

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #294 - 11/14/17 at 16:30:51

I have been playing with REW.  Pretty flat response with no real trouble spots.  I need el presidente to review my findings though and see if I am doing anything wrong.

I did play with the EQ in Audirvana to tweak 12K & up because that's where it falls off with the AMT.  So far, I like a little more sweetening.

If anybody can suggest a new photo posting place, I will post some of my measurements.  I haven't visited photobucket since their new policy but I think they want $$

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #295 - 11/14/17 at 22:30:13

Use IMGUR.COM to upload and host images.  Works great and it free (at least for now).

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #296 - 11/15/17 at 11:37:47

Thanks Jeff, I will give it a try.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #297 - 11/15/17 at 18:25:00

yep... the Betsy AMT was a bit of a "OMG" moment for me at Decfest this year as well.  Air and space was amongst the best I think I've ever heard.  I’m sure Steve’s room has a lot to do with this as well.  I've been in this hobby about 40 years now and have heard about everything there is to hear (attend RMAF a few years and your reference will be broadened - and don't forget to get out and hear "live" music as often as you can).  Not too many things impress me much anymore... but the Betsy AMT "got my attention".  Just like full-rangers and flea-watt tubes got my attention about 5 years ago.  And like OB’s got my attention about 3 years ago.  There’s not many “box” speakers I can tolerate anymore.  However, I have been boxless with planars, Maggie’s and Martin Logan’s for many moons now to start with.  Once you go boxless… you’ll never go back!

Randy was also gracious enough to help me get setup to build a pair of Betsy AMT’s as well.  I have regular Betsy's, in a modified version of Randy's baffle.  I tilted the baffle back at about 10 degrees and run a brace down the back center of the baffle.  I would post pics, but photobucket has gotten greedy as some of you have discovered.  I’ll checkout the IMGUR site as mentioned above.  I intend to “extend” the radius of the top of Randy’s standard Betsy baffle upward to a more pointed/narrower peak to allow for the extra height the AMT driver needs.  I also like my Betsy driver mounted off-center vertically, a couple inches high of center.  There are sonic as well as aesthetic reasons for this.

Mr. Linkwitz has a ton of useful and interesting information on his site to be sure.  I have "heard", but never experimented in my own room, with a fully electronically crossed over and amped system, but it's on my "list".  I doubt it's better than crossover-less, high efficiency, full-rangers, but you never know till you try.  MiniDSP makes this relatively easy and not too expensive to try nowadays.  

Randy and I have been talking back-n-forth for some time now, about what our personal "perfect” speaker might be (for home use) - given all our experiences.  I am kind of closing in on a design that would be a "hybrid" of sorts.  It will be based around a full-range, crossover-less driver of some kind probably, i.e. the Betsy WoW driver in an OB, a dipole AMT (the Dayton model), and some type of “ambiance” driver (also OB), and of course OB bass.  I have four 15” Hawthorne Augie’s to experiment with (all mounted in modified Hawthorne Trio's at the moment).  I’m thinking separate bass baffles.  Perhaps an H-frame or W-frame OB, for a pair of the Augie’s might be the ticket.  It seems there is good science behind having the sub-bass separate from the main speakers so that you can place them optimally in the room – which is almost never the same position you place the main speakers for best soundstage, imaging, yada, yada, yada.  I have had very good integration/response results using two separate subs placed in different locations of a room, based on mode analysis – even with crude mode analysis.

One thing I am coming to learn about OB’s…. forget most everything you have learned about what is “good” for a box speaker.  A lot of it doesn’t apply to OB’s or defies what you thought you knew – at least this has been my experience.  One thing I will share is about “rigid mounting” of the driver’s in an OB to the baffle.  Forget that.  If you could completely 100% decouple the driver frame from the baffle while still sealing the area between the driver frame and baffle, it would be ideal.  We don't want the baffle to "talk" - only to separate front wave from back wave of the driver/s.  You can find some information about this on Linkwitz's page and his implementation in regards to an update to his Orion speaker models midrange driver mounting.....

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #298 - 11/15/17 at 19:12:49

Good stuff maddog.  Keep us apprised.  I am especially interested in the decoupling.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #299 - 11/23/17 at 03:42:18

Here is my first attempt at an IMGUR Image:

https://imgur.com/a/FIHK7

Edit:Hmm didn't work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print