Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 16:39:44 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Palomino Audio Project (Read 47971 times)
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Re: Palomino Audio Project
Reply #150 - 06/07/16 at 02:46:15

I have tried setting the phase at 180 degrees from my coax driver and it was a definite no-go for me, but you never know!  It would seem to make more sense if the Augies weren't mounted along the same plane as the main driver(s) and you had to tweak the timing a bit.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 08/15/16 at 22:19:36

Well, we had a quick CDaPs meeting Sunday with just myself and El Presidente.  Excellent session and great feedback on my OBs.

Eric liked some of what he heard but repeated some of what Rob had said about upper bass not coming through.  So I did switch phase on the Augies and things got a lot better.  Bass has much better pop to it and is more filled in.  I would definitely try this if you have augies or 15As to see what you get.

Second, he thought that the bass was not coherent between the augies and the Tang Bands so we played with crossover.  I had been running it at only 50 hz lately and that was too low.  We tried about 3-4 different points but settled on 70hz which is where I ended up in my initial round of fiddling.

Finally, Eric thought that the instruments were flat and not 3D sounding.  Well, lately I was experimenting with oversampling.  When I switched back to no oversampling, we got a more lifelike sound.

We then tossed in the ZMA and wow. Talk about full and detailed.  Almost wish I wouldn't have heard that  :(.  Anyway, you would have to figure out how to tame a bit of the glare to make it work long term (we tried input tubes and it seemed to shift some of the edge to a lower frequency).

So while El Presidente is not an OB fan, he was grooving after some tweaks.  he felt some music was better than others.  He especially liked Rock on these speakers.  I felt bass was good pre-phase shift.  Now its monster.

We hope to get a CDApS session in before Rob moves.  I think a winning combo might be the ZMA with Rob's DAC.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #152 - 08/16/16 at 00:47:33

I wish that I was a hour closer to the big city, it sounds like a good time at your meetings.
Someone with good ears needs to listen to my speakers and tell me what they hear. Or maybe not, I might come up pretty dissipointed when my speakers are listened in the harsh light of good ears!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #153 - 08/16/16 at 01:55:17

Well it was a bit of a roller coaster. It went from "please stop" to "that's the best I have ever heard that song."  You just gotta hang on.  

With somebody more impartial you can test a bunch of stuff pretty quickly.  It helps that we hear similarly.

I had been screwing around with that crossover point for 7 months.  Now I'm confident that it's set.  Also with Rob and Eric both saying that upper bass wasn't there I knew I had to do something.  I remembered maddog mentioning phase in a post and then Eric mentioned it so I said what the hell.

The bottom line is things sound better and it was fun tweaking despite being told "my kid" is ugly a few times.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #154 - 08/18/16 at 14:21:42

Pal...you have piqued my interest, ZMA + PureAudio.  I assume the glare is coming from the typical high frequency response of single driver speakers...

I believe PAP is using a filter to tame this, but that filter might not be as transparent as the tone controls on the Torii.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 08/18/16 at 15:44:25

A few thoughts Dave...

Yes, the typical single driver glare.  I think the formula for the TB 1808/15a xover is out there on the web.  For the augie, you'd still need to bi-amp due to efficiency differences I think, so it would probably require a different cap/resistor (maybe combo) on the 1808.

The Torri helps with the glare, but its a fine line between taming it and deadening the sound.  I continue to experiment with that, tubes and EQ in Audirvana.

Running the augies out of phase provides for better bass coherency and solves the issue I pointed out earlier in the thread where I was not getting the best imaging when running the augies.   I was just working on crossover to fix, but the combo of phase/crossover has really done the job and tightened up the bass.

One big difference Eric noted between the OBs and his 944s was the amount of air those big 15" drivers move.   The songs he tended to say "that's the best I've heard it" were big, air movers.  Rob has the trios with two augies that really pound you.  When I was at his house last time, I uncontrollably guffawed when the big/bass heavy passages played.

I have been bored dead with my music lately, but the prat I get now with the better mating of the drivers left me listening for 4 hours the other night - to the same stuff, but taping my toes and digging it all over again.

I mentioned this earlier, but Eric also enjoyed rock on these speakers.  Not exactly a known OB strength, if I remember my research.  Still, AC/DC all night long and one other song I don't remember sounded really good.  Good instrument separation.  Kick drum chest impact.  Rock!

The ZMA was fuller, more detailed and really changed the sound and the imaging of the speakers.  I loved what it brought to the table, but made me also think that the speakers produced too much pressure for my 16X12 room.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #156 - 08/18/16 at 16:25:27

Pal...I run a sub with my 944's.  The past few days, as I have been trying to troubleshoot my noise issue, I haven't had the sub in the signal path and I really missed it.  The fullness, solidity and frequency balance it provides is important to me.  It won't move anywhere near as much air as four 15's, but I don't think I would be happy without it in my current space.  

In my system/room, the CKC is not enough with the 944's.  I enjoyed having the CKC in the system the past day, but I missed the more detailed and effortless presentation of the ZMA.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #157 - 08/18/16 at 17:26:42

I never had good luck with a sub, but I never had a good one to experiment with.  That's what lead to one augie, then one augie became two, then two augies became duo's with the 1808's, now I am thinking about trios.  Soon I will be sitting in a little 5'X5' space with speakers all around me in a musical stupor Grin

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #158 - 08/18/16 at 22:06:08

I should get some Augie's just to experiment.  When I was talking with Randy at his shop he said that you get a better sense of space in the recording with multiple OB subs (vs. one summed to mono).  That said, he preferred one vs. two for tightness and control.  

I only have one sub...two was outside of my budget (and I wasn't even sure I would like having a sub at all).  That said, when you start rocking out with 2X Trio Augie 15's, that adds up too (in more ways than one)...

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #159 - 08/18/16 at 22:17:16

Yeah, it all adds up.  I got them before he had to increase the price.  Maybe $440 shipped?

I still intend to get a single 15a to run on my second system summed to mono to see how it sounds.  I have a baffle cut from my early experiments with the augie that I am pretty sure I could use.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 08/18/16 at 22:29:43

4 Augies ($240 each) and a plate amp or two ($225 each) isn't completely unreasonable for a killer stereo sub setup.

Can you drive all 4-6 Augies with one amp or do you need two?  How are they wired and what's the impedance the amp sees?

Also...I'd be curious what El Presidente thinks about a duo of OB's providing bass reinforcement in his 944 system.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 08/19/16 at 00:18:01

Rob drives his 4 augies with two plate amps.  I am using the crown 1000 amp.  It's more than enough for two augies.  You might go up to a 1500 for 4.

I am surprised that el presidente has not chimed in.  A lot on his plate these days.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #162 - 08/19/16 at 00:57:09

I run all 4 of my 15"Alpha's directly out of my Torii. No problem with bass in my room!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 08/19/16 at 11:52:12

I have run the augies off the Torii as well and it didn't sound like the bass was soft or anything.

But the Augies are 89db and the 15a is 98db or so, so they mate with the 1808 better.

I checked parts express.  They have like 10 versions of the 15a now.  Varying sensitivity and QTS.  Looks like the basic unit people use in OBs is down to $59.  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #164 - 08/19/16 at 17:12:40

I have been eyeballing some plate amps to integrate into my OB's.
That might be the move to push them over the top.
I live by the motto of "If a little is good, too much is just right"!

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #165 - 08/19/16 at 23:37:05

I run two Augie's in parallel in each Trio baffle, i.e. 4-ohm load per channel - four Augie's total.  I drive them with a Crown XLS-2500.  The "signal present" light on the Crown "flickers" off and on at normal listening levels.  When the signal present light is on solid, and the -20 light is flickering - things are starting to get serious.  And I run the Crown's input attenuators at only about 70% of wide-open to boot.  Only once or twice have I endured the -20 light on solid.  At this point, my house was being lifted off the foundation with each thud of a kick drum.  I am using Audio Nirvana wide-banders in the middle spot of my Trio's driven directly, full-range(no xover high pass) by my Torii III.  If there is a better amp for wide-banders than the Tori III - I haven't heard it yet.  The treble shunt on the III allows you to really dial-in the rising frequency response of nearly all wide-banders to "just right".  Not to mention the Torii's output impedance is complimentary to the typical wide-banders impedance in the 40-60hz range, which seems to really put some nice flesh-on-the-bones weight to the music.
I am more "satisfied" with my systems sound now, than ever before in nearly 40 years of actually pursuing this hobby.  It has/is taking a long time for my "what if I try this" cognitive dissonance to go away though.  I guess that's why I have six different sets of speakers, and working on #7.  But with each cable, amp, speaker combo I try - so far, I have come back to the OB's with Augie's and wide-banders driven by my Torii III.  Sooner or later I just know my brain will finally "accept" what my ears are hearing!!!
Yes... messing around with the xover point, phase, etc. is essential to getting this OB combo dialed-in.  But boy when you do - hang on, cause the sound is going to blow your mind.  

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 08/20/16 at 00:43:56

I knew it was only a matter of time before "the dog" weighed in.  

You have me thinking about both doubling up the augies per side and trying an AN wide bander.  Maybe for Christmas.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #167 - 08/22/16 at 18:51:57

Sorry for chiming in so late - I just have a lot going on lately, and not much of it good  unfortunately.

Anyhow - no, I don't care for OBs

Yes, we did get Pals setup tweaked a little better (OK, a lot better). I really love how effective we are when we just say the first thing that comes to mind - it's usually correct. I learned that from Steve; for the longest time I would keep my thoughts to myself for fear of offending the gear owner (or in Steve's case the gracious builder), but I've listened and learned.

I don't think Pal gives himself enough credit for how good his ear is - I'm constantly impressed with how he takes my suggestions and runs with them and on my next visit the sound is pretty stunning.

So as I said, I don't care for OBs too much - and Pal's setup is OB, *and* full range drive with the full range driver shout. The ZMA was absolutely stunning, and I kept saying "I'm so glad I got this amp" - I just can't love those speakers. The sound was very shallow to me...for those of you who shoot any style of SLR camera where you can adjust the aperture - the OB sound in  this room sounded like it was focused only 4' deep but spread wide and tall; just a really shallow plain of focus. The high frequency didn't have the extension and spacial cues that ProgRob's setup has (which I truly love) but the bass was nice once we got it dialed in and got the crossover in this setups sweet spot. I was honestly blown away by how good anything Rock sounded - I've been listening to AC/DC for 30 years, and was stunned at the instrument separation and clarity, all without the piled-on congestion I'm used to hearing from rock albums. Every guitar had its space carved out, the vocals weren't buried behind instruments, and the drums were visceral and punchy. PRAT all over the place once we got the bass sorted out...before we figured that out, it was a lumpy, disjointed mess that irritated me and made me want to track-hop around "looking for something better". Afterwards, it was a real room filling sound.

What I miss is the spacial cues that traditional boxy speakers give you, at least in Tom's well setup room. Yes the OBs filled the room with sound tall and wide, but I didn't feel like I could hear the room the music was recorded in; I told Tom it sounded like I was in the Lobby of venue and they left the double doors open - I could hear everything perfectly, I just wasn't "in the room" with the music. Part of why I enjoy going to Tom's place so much is he's got the room setup way, way better than I can setup any room in my house - I will never get that quality of sound without gutting a room and starting from the studs, or at least bare walls out, dedicated audio room - golden ratio and all. Till then, I live vicariously through Palomino's room.

Now that I've bashed his new child(speaker) to death, I will say he does a beautiful build. I'm picky and his work was pleasing to look at and well thought out - I would have thought they were store bought "boutique" builds if I didn't know Tom's build style.

So I brought my ZMA back home and eventually set it up and listened a bit. (shrug) - I realized how loud those OBs are - I love my clarity, especially with the PS Audio Bridge II on my Direct Stream DAC being fed by Roon - but I miss his wonderful little basement listening room.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 08/22/16 at 22:31:02

Palomino's defense of his child!

I'll have to bring my DIY monoliths back to the room for comparison, but I don't sense the shallow soundstage that Eric heard?    This is the deepest soundstage I can remember having.  I did have to move the OBs out at least 4' from the back wall to get that.

I agree with the assessment of flat when I had the oversampling going in Audirvana, but that was temporary.  Once we switched it back to no oversampling, I don't agree with that assessment.  I did hear the lobby effect on some, but not all songs.  I don't recall if I heard it once I went back to NOS.  Separation of instruments we agree on.  The tweaks tightened up the bass, brought more life to the upper bass and definitely improved the Prat.

My issue has always been the shout because generally speaking, everything else is better than the Monos.  I am pretty close on taming that to my satisfaction.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #169 - 08/24/16 at 00:03:13

almost ALL speakers sound better pulled out away from the wall behind them - at least to a point.  With OB's (or any bi or dipole) this is "a requirement" - they have to be able to breath.  If you have a small room, or need to put your speakers close to the wall behind them - OB is probably not the way to go.  
My OB's are 6 ft. out away from the wall.  My experience with "recording room" sound has been the opposite of LR's.  I think this is mostly a crossover-less thing, not necessarily just an OB thing, but I can hear reverberations and slap-echos from the recording studio that's buried in recordings that I've heard 100's of times before and never heard until I was crossover-less and OB.  
After listening almost exclusively to box-less speakers for the last 3 years... there are very, very few box speakers that I can't immediately hear/detect "the box" coloring the sound.  That said, I discovered an audible resonance in the back braces of my OB's awhile back too, that I had to address with additional bracing/mass.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 08/24/16 at 00:49:21

That's interesting.  I've looked at the OBs online and also sold by Decware but I just don't have the room.  As it is, my system is setup in the most wrong way possible.  I mean, everything I could possibly do wrong I've done.  I need to take a picture of it to show you guys.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #171 - 08/24/16 at 01:09:33

I double checked and I am 5' from the back wall.  

Maddog is your soundstage primarily behind the speakers?  Mine is and could be what Raven was having some issues with.  But the depth of the soundstage behind that is big.

I will say it took some time for me to adjust to where the soundstage is placed.  

I am not sure I can go back to boxed speakers.  It takes me some time to get used to them in my cottage setup.

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #172 - 08/24/16 at 06:40:38

I'm using OB's in a room that is only 9' wide and 12' deep.  The speakers are 30" from the front wall with QRD defusers behind them.  My listening chair is about 8" from the back wall with acoustic panel absorbers behind it.  The system has a very nice sound stage that sounds much wider and deeper then the speaker placement.  I think OB's can be a very good choice for small room near field listening, as long as the room is treated.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 08/24/16 at 12:26:14

Well I think I figured it out last night.

I think Eric heard a pressed back and flat soundstage because of where his head was positioned.  In general, he sat in the listening chair and I was behind him in another chair.

Last night I noticed that the listening chair was out of position.  At least a foot back.  I moved the chair up and got a great 3D soundstage.  I moved it back and well, not so much.  I went to where I was sitting and it was better again but not great.

I didn't think I had room nulls with the OBs.  I definitely did with box speakers. Huge nulls.  Anyway I suspect there is a front to back sweet spot for the soundstage just as there is for the sides to side for imaging.

I'll keep testing.  I may even break out the mike to see if I can measure it.  I definitely could with my box speakers.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #174 - 08/24/16 at 16:45:43

I double checked it this morning.  It's not a null per se because it does not impact volume.  Bass response maybe.

But there is definitely a fore and aft sweet spot in addition to left/right for imaging and soundstage.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 08/24/16 at 16:47:01

Rich, what OBs are you running?

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 08/25/16 at 01:34:48

Pal...was the soundstage with your box speakers both in front and behind the speakers?  For example, the singer could be reach out and touch, and the rest of the instruments playing in spaces at different levels of depth and height in relation to the singer?

Whereas with the OB's, the entire soundstage sits behind the speakers?

I need to experiment a little with my listening position to see if the soundstage is as sensitive.  I originally optimized my listening position for clarity and I ended up with a seating position a little closer than equilateral.  I think it may be time to revisit...

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #177 - 08/25/16 at 02:37:43

Pal, My OB's are home made using Wild Burro Audio Betsy's, the same ones Randy uses.  The woofers are 10" from MCM.  You can see pictures in this tread.   https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1461890060/0 which is in the user picture forum and named My Zen Room.  My amp is a Decware SE84UFO2.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #178 - 08/25/16 at 14:28:30

Dave,
I messed around with it last night and like a lot of things in audio, it seems like there is a balancing point.  

The way I am thinking about it is when the chair is too far away from the speakers, it’s like looking a long distance at a group of people.  They all seem to be on the same plain.  As you move closer, they separate and have more perceptible distance side to side and front to back.  Move too close and you crowd some of them.

I think this is true of any speaker, not just OBs, but my question about where the soundstage is placed to  Maddog was more about helping me focus my set-up properly.  Eric’s photography analogy was a good one.

The closer I get to the optimum spot, the more the soundstage reaches out to me.  The further back, the flatter and further back the soundstage gets.  I am not sure I am at optimal now, but I run about a 7’2” equilateral triangle.  

On some songs, I am crowding certain musicians on the left or right.  But those songs tend to have instrument placement that is more centered on the driver than others.  But on big soundstage songs, I am pretty immersed in the soundstage without that crowding.  Its really captivating and I get those recording room cues that both Raven and Maddog talked about.

I remember Randy saying that with the Betsy’s you had to be pretty far back to get that sensation.  But Rich reports he’s running Betsy’s in an almost near field setup so there may be multiple zones where that phenomenon can happen.

As I have said throughout this thread, OBs are not for the faint at heart, but for me there has been great payoffs.  I haven't read about anyone else pairing 1808's to Augies so I am discovering this on my own.

Randy’s OBs may be more forgiving than mine.  I still plan to experiment with some Betsy’s because its an easy switch for me the way I built these speakers.  Maddog also has me intrigued with the AN drivers, but that’s a more expensive experiment.

Finally Dave, if you are running Audirvana, I would encourage you to try out the DSD encoding.  I have not been too big a fan of DSD recordings, but redbook to DSD, even iTunes downloads to DSD is pretty captivating.  It also seems to smooth the music and help with the fullrange shout.   It reminds me of what the pills did to the sound.

It’s not without its glitches but most of that is due to my old mac mini processor, but 95% of the time its working great.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #179 - 08/25/16 at 21:27:10

That Redbook to DSD sounds interesting - it's the basis for how the PS Audio DirectStream DAC works, turning everything to DSD and then multiplying everything by 20X or something like that - then doing any tweaking (volume etc) at those huge math numbers. I think it allows for more natural smoothing of what's already there...whereas oversampling to me feels like it's smoothing while adding harmonic jaggies that harsh my mellow.  ;)

As for the sweetspot and "dropouts" - all rooms will have them, except maybe an anechoic chamber. It might not be noticeable big (volume) dropouts and hotspots like low frequency would produce, but there are all sorts of canceling and comb filtering and other badness going on. Probably more so with Open Baffles because you have wave fronts from both sides of the driver to contend with.  Add to that, you have two drivers on one baffle, they'd have their own comb filtering where the waves intermingle between the baffle and your seating position. Plus the waves from left speaker to right speaker. Lots and lots of reasons (waves/reflections) for audio cues and apparent location of soundstage/instruments to get pushed around.

I just call them as I see them - you're the clever one moving sound treatment and seating position around to make it sound better than "good".

IMHO - with Open Baffles you now need *even more* diffusers to widen the sweet spot and localize the sound. Speaking of which, I'm hoping to spend some time in the garage this weekend mounting my fleet of styro diffusers to panels to group them and more easily suspend them....maybe it's time we put some of my diffusers on your ceiling...remember that idea popped into my head while we were listening? I'm thinking my audio-intuition was telling me something about your room.  ;)

I'm still thinking about folded horns and single drivers - but I still fear the shout - if I were to go single driver, I'd probably go something all bendy like this:

Oh, one last thing - I really like that Crown with the built in crossover - IMHO, if I were to do supplement a full range driver setup with subs, I would do two small subs using an amp like that, and the subs would be placed directly to the left and right of the seating position. I've found (and other's measurements have shown) that a dual sub setup with the drivers around the middle of the room give more even bass response at the main listening position.

I have so many ideas - I just need a dedicated listening room - having the redhead move in with me really nixed that completely. I may have to wait till I move to a nicer/bigger house.  

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #180 - 08/25/16 at 22:10:39

Or maybe a compact spiral horn....

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cornu/cornu.html

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 08/25/16 at 22:12:19

Well, you'll have to come back and see if you agree what I am hearing is better.

The guys who are touting the DSD conversion have DACs that can go to 128 and above, but I think its a lot smoother with 64.  

I am thinking about doing a wall of diffusers from Styrofoam.  Basically make my whole front wall a QRD.  Darrell Hawthorne sent me a how-to in an email I have yet to dig out.  It's using those 2" foam insulation panels like you experimented with before.  He basically cuts them with a table saw though instead of a hot wire cutter.  Messy but less work.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 08/25/16 at 22:13:20

I followed that spiral horn thread for a while.  Interesting.  When I was following it, they were making them out of scored foam board!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #183 - 08/26/16 at 19:54:30

I'm working in the garage this weekend - I'll see if I can clear of the table saw and maybe finish up some of my diffuser projects as well.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #184 - 08/30/16 at 17:56:10

Well, I got the table saw cleared off, but had a minor accident with some chemicals that got spilled and I got spashed in the eyes with. Ugh. Maybe I'll cut some materials this next weekend, and we can have another CDApS meet.

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #185 - 08/31/16 at 00:14:12

Pal.... soundstage position and depth.... it has been my experience that moving any speaker out away from the wall will move the entire soundstage "rearward" and add depth - to a point.  And more so with some recordings than with others.

Think about how a performance is recorded.. at least a minimally mic'd one where the engineer attempted to capture a "realistic" facsimile of the performance (this does not apply universally to close-mic'd events if there was a mic stuck in front of every instrument and multi-tracked to later be mixed down and mucked with).

If you go to a concert, you set out in front of the performers.  the Performers are "usually" on a stage, slightly higher than you, and always in front of you.  The main microphones will be in front of the performers, usually with some hanging from above to capture reverb, ambiance, room acoustic, etc.  Usually the mixer/producer will use these tracks to add ambiance in varying degrees to a recording depending on how the capture from the main mic's turns out.  But the main microphones are "between" you and the performers - This Is A Key Point.  In our playback system, ideally we want our speakers to take the place of the microphones where the recording was made.  This means, that for the most part, the entire image illusion should be "behind" the front plane of the speakers(microphones)......  think about it!
If the reproduced image is in front of the speakers, then this would imply that the performers were nearly in our lap if we were there when a performance was recorded - not very likely.  Even studio recordings, of high quality, where the recordist was trying to capture "the event", the illusion of the performers should usually be "behind" the speakers, because if you had been there when it was recorded, the performers would likely have been in front of you and the microphones would have been in front of the performers and between you and the performers.

One of the best examples I can think of, off the top of my head, where information about the actual recording venue and how the performers and recording was setup is available(you can view it), is the Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions, and Trinity revisited.  If you play this music on your system, and the illusion of the performers are "in front" of your speakers... then you can rest assured that your system is not "accurately" portraying the recorded event as captured on the CD/LP/wav file, etc.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 08/31/16 at 21:29:34

Thanks Maddog.  I think we are on the same page in terms of where we want the soundstage to be.

But I wasn't very clear in my question and I posed that question prior to figuring out what was going on.

Where Eric's head was positioned, it was too far back (I have one of those Ikea chairs that move easily).  It was a least a foot to two feet deeper than my typical listening position.  The soundstage was behind the speakers, but compressed.  It all seemed to be hugging the back wall.

Once the chair was adjusted to form more of an equilateral triangle with the speakers, it all laid out much more naturally.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 09/06/16 at 01:27:00

Hey Pal,
I was looking at info on QRD Diffusers, and I ran across these pictures. I remembered what you said about making your front wall all diffusers, so here you go.
Randy

61sv2XUehyL__SL1024_.jpg
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #188 - 09/06/16 at 01:29:03

Bummer. Only one of the pics showed up. Here's the other one.

41PUKKDyRbL.jpg
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 09/06/16 at 12:12:21

Thanks for the photos.

I found Darrel's recipe.  It's 2" rigid insulation panels cut to various depths in a prime sequence with fins made of Masonite.  You can cut using a table saw.  Evidently using a table saw is easy but pretty messy cutting the insulation. Then paint.

If my measurements are correct I could do my front wall for around $200.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 09/07/16 at 05:05:43

Pal,
Definitely like the idea of being able to do a whole wall for $200, but
still can't quite envision how your diffusers will look. Post pics if you end up making them, so I get the idea.
Thanks, Randy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 09/07/16 at 12:20:01

Here is Darrell Hawthorne's room:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4641&start=45

He has another treatment at the center of his room but the sides have the qrd's.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #192 - 09/08/16 at 07:00:12

YOWZA! I've had audio room envy before, but that room is beautiful in its simplicity. The diffusers look different than I thought that they would, but if they get the job done, all the better. They really blend in - it helps that they did a good job with the crown moulding @ the ceiling. Anyway, I've felt for a couple of years now that I have plenty of gear to get the sound that I want - I'm even close to it now with no treatment, but my rooms are holding me back. When I get to a better space, I'll concentrate on room treatments. If ProggRob makes it out here (WA state), I'm betting that he will put some energy into making a good, treated listening room in his new digs. Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #193 - 09/09/16 at 19:09:14

I still feel the poly-cylinder is just a quick and dirty "diffuser". It really does nothing in the "time domain" and simply scatters the sound. I think you could do so much better with your slat-wall diffusers, the deeper the better.

Or if you want to stick with the styro and dividers, I'd do a nice big Prime 29 using the 2" insulation. But I'm still a firm believer in the sound waves picking up the tone of what they bounce off of, and I'm worried the styro-sound might accentuate your single driver shout.

But what do I know.  ;)  (shrug)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 09/09/16 at 19:14:15

Not sure why he went that route in the middle.  Here is how he described it:

The phantom center image area features an elliptical membrane diffuser.  I made that from some inexpensive paneling bowed and snapped into place.  It’s 12” deep in the center.  I filled the cavity with fiberglass insulation. This style of diffuser/absorber works great and also look good in the center area!  Lots of depth illusion.

I want to do what he has on his side walls/front corners to the entire front of my room.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 09/09/16 at 19:17:48

BTW, I saw a home made hot wire cutter on ebay that was made of copper pipe that I think I could build.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #196 - 09/10/16 at 07:43:30

Lets do it!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #197 - 09/23/16 at 21:09:46

I had this nice long post typed out, and somehow lost it when I went to post.

Short version - I'm going to chime in on Pal's thread rather than start my own for now, since our Audio Projects are often paralleled, if not entwined.

I'm getting back to my never ending (and never finished) diffuser designing and building. I seem to spend more time making room in the garage to work, then adjusting/tuning tools and building jigs than actual building of anything!

To start, I took a pair of CNC Hot-Wire cut Styro diffusers and framed them up tightly in a poplar box. It's only 6" deep as that's what I was able to get inexpensively. I was originally planning on making them 8" boxes and lining the back with acoustic blankets recovered from my 15 year old CWAL bass absorbers I recently retired....but that extra couple inches added quite a bit of cost and I'm pretty damn broke right now, trying to work with what I have around rather than buy more wood if I can.  I'm a believer in that sound reflecting off an object takes some of it's sound with it. Sound bouncing off glass has a high frequency enhancement that I don't care for, and something similar with Styrofoam diffusers.

That said, these are some of the diffusers that I dragged out to Palomino's listening room as well as ProgRobs listening room, where we had some amazing CDApS listening sessions where simply placing these styro diffusers in key places aided in PRaT and made the music really *involving*.  I employed a lesson I learned from Steve, where you don't simply listen to the music, but watch the body language of the listeners - and it was clear how much involving the music was with just these four lightweight panels leaned up against the walls.

So I bound them together in this frame in hopes of using them more effectively either in my "listening room"/theater and/or my spare bedroom which has become sort of a home office. I figure my 18 year old original Zen amp, some efficient speakers, and walls covered in diffusers might make computer building and whatnot more enjoyable.

So much for this being a short post.

More pics of diffuser projects to come. My next one, an all poplar 24" X 24" X 6" QRD is coming along nicely. I'm going to slowly build up to my ultimate design which will be these HUGELY complex QRD diffusers that will help scatter and diffuse between 350Hz and 6880Hz.

The more I build, the more I appreciate how well thought out the Decware diffusers are. They do exactly what they need, at a great price, and shippable package.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 09/23/16 at 21:13:57

+1 on the Decware diffusers.

I am a masochist, so I build.  But its pretty tempting to just buy an 8 pack or so of those.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #199 - 09/24/16 at 02:44:15

Lonely Raven, A couple of observations:
Don't lay your grinding wheels horizontal like that, you are inviting cracks.
Your reloading bench is a mess, organize it up please! The brass needs to be handled carefully.
You really need to put the door on your fuse box. Haven't you watched the videos of fireballs from exposed fuse boxes. I have to test out twice a year on that stuff and I don't even plug a light into the wall at work.
A clean and organized shop is a safe and efficient shop. Put things back where you got it from and it will be there when you need it again.
Oh yeah, your box sound catcher thingy is kind of cool in a mad scientist way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print