Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:41:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Let's talk Rega Turntables (Read 24833 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Let's talk Rega Turntables
01/13/16 at 15:18:11

My audio fascination has been rekindled lately by upgrading my Rega RP3 and exploring the best cabling on my Decware ZP3. I know there are other Rega users here and thought it might be nice to start a thread about these tables and tweaks, general appreciation of the house sound, etc.

Now I confess I've only owned about six other turntables in my life: a Gerard, an AR, a Technics, two Pioneers and a B&O. . . but the moment I heard the Rega "sound" I felt it was for me and bought two RP3s. The one I use most has an Exact2 and came with a TTPSU. I've added the white belt and then added the Groovetracer sub-platter and their Delrin platter. These Groovetracer products have really "upped the ante" and I love the sound that I have now--almost CD stability in speed and an open neutral sound palette.

A few years ago I put a PS Audio PowerBase under my RP3 (got it at half price) and this was not a SUBTLE improvement. Detail and tonal refinement ensued which I won't now do without. I can also really hear the difference in "footers" when the PowerBase is in use and am torn between two different types: a VooDoo Cable Iso-Pod and Herbie's Audio Lab IsoBalls/IsoCups. The latter are more forward sounding but more spacious in the sound stage department. The Iso-Pods impart a warm and full sound that is very "old school" and seductive. . . . It's easier for the long term sessions, but if a recording needs some "liveliness" the IsoBall/IsoCup combo is perfect.

With this table the ZP3 really SHINES. I can roll a tube and instantly hear the nuances each tube brings. I'm using a Siemens 12AU7, a Raytheon 12AU7 next and a cryo'd TAD 12AU7 in the front position. I'm using a '40s RCA 5Y3GT and an RCA bottle-style OA3.

I'm very happy with this entire set-up and it more than rivals my digital front end. I can go digital or vinyl and have an amazing listening experience.

I have decided to complete the Groovetracer experience and order the Counterweight and the Record Clamp.

Anyone else with a Rega turntable want to talk/share? Thanks.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Let's talk Rega Turntables
Reply #1 - 01/14/16 at 09:45:41

Rega table fully tricked out with all the popular mods, VPI record cleaning machine, rows and rows of black pizzas.

Have not spun a record in years.  Pain in the ass with worse sound than the the system presently used.

Two weeks ago I gave the whole mess to a friend for zero dollars.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/14/16 at 12:21:13

Rega p6 with black ortofon 2m. running my ZP3 through my CSP2+ using Voodoo Renaissance interconnects.  I like having the option of two volume controls in play when spinning records.  For tubes I'm using 2 1960's Mazda's, one of which is a grey plate and the other silver plate and one late 60's Telefunken. 50's RCA 5y3gt and OA3.  Spun a couple of Tinariwen albums last night and although it sounded good I still have to do some cable burn in.  Will switch my cables with my OPPO and run a cd on repeat for a few days.
The Mazda Cifte's tubes sounded horribly at first but now I don't want to take em out.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/14/16 at 12:32:01

Thanks for responding gentlemen.

DPC, wow. Gave it all away. I think I can imagine doing that with my great digital front end. . .until I got the ZP3 and acclimated to it. The ZP3 is an amazing phono preamp and has transformed my vinyl listening. One of the best things Steve builds!

Justin, yes, those cables take hours and hours. Some tubes too. Worth waiting for! I bet the sound is so so good!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/14/16 at 15:35:50

DPC,

What type of digital front end are you using?  Yeah Lon, I had a drummer buddy who sat in with a lot of 80's and 90's punk bands in Boston over the other day and he had a moment of pure awe in which he turned around and said "I've never heard recorded music sound like this before"  He got completely lost in my "soundzone" as I like to call my living room.

Happy Listening

JD

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/14/16 at 23:21:17

Lon - I have a very good friend who has a young family.  You can easily see that he does not have the income for our hobby.  He never mentioned to me that he was interested in vinyl.  Only after the gift did another friend tell me that the young chap really wanted a good turntable.

While rearranging my setup I came to realize that there are to many pieces that are not being used.  I detest selling any kit as some folks insult us by trying to low ball the asking price.

Our job is to pass along our love of music/audio.

Dennis

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/14/16 at 23:29:00

JD - Mac-Mini, Teac DSD DAC, Decware CSP, Rachel, RL3's.  Setup is as it was learned from Computer Audiophile.com.

The above gets more complex but suffice to say it pleases me.

"One man's ceiling might very well be another man's floor"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/15/16 at 00:04:11

Dennis, that's awesome. I do intend to sell some pieces, I hate being lowballed too, I think I price fairly.

You did a good thing and paid it forward. Kudos!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/15/16 at 00:22:59

Dennis,

Thanks for the info. I am completely clueless about computer audio, I still use a flip phone, although I would love to put all my cd's (800 or so that I don't listen too anymore cuz I don't like how my OPPO 95 transports the tunes) in a place where I could play them simply through my Decware system. Cool that you passed that gear along, I find that karma plays a large role in how the music sounds so

Slainte

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 01/15/16 at 17:01:26

Well, I possibly shouldn't have, but I ordered the Groovetracer counterweight and record clamp. I can see where a record clamp might help, the Delrin platter I love doesn't need a mat but records sort of slip initially before stabilizing and the clamp should help with a few that have warps. And the counterweight should help with some improved tracking. And I'll have the full Groovetracer experience. I have to say that the Groovetracer sup-platter and platter have really improved my vinyl playback considerably. (And it's the ZP3 that makes it all "happen").

IP Logged
Skyblue
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 01/15/16 at 19:06:25

Hi lon
How did u the Garard, 301/401 ?
First post.

Skyblue  ☺

IP Logged
Skyblue
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/15/16 at 19:30:05

Sorry lon
I ment how would you describe the Garard and any regrets not having it now First post and first blunder lol  :-[

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 01/15/16 at 19:36:32

Hi SB, Welcome!
Wow, it was a long time ago, 1972, and it was not a very expensive turntable, I think I bought it at Radio Shack with money saved from my "allowances"! It served me for about four years and no, I would not like to have it back now, the Rega I have is ten times the table, or at least that is how it feels to me now. . . 40 years and more was a long time ago!

IP Logged
Skyblue
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 01/15/16 at 20:53:07

Thank you for the quick reply lon and the welcome.
I've been reading the decware forum for a good while now and appreciate your input !! and others.
I do like the Garard 401 belt driven and yes 40+ yes is a long time.

Thanks again
Skyblue  (SB)

IP Logged
Skyblue
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 01/15/16 at 21:49:30

Sorry Not belt driven But DIRECT DRIVE

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 01/15/16 at 22:04:42

Skyblue, I began looking through some photos of old Garrards and mine was definitely a base model that looked (as far as I can recall) a bit like the 440M, maybe one of the SL models. But may have been a much cheaper more basic model, I couldn't have spent much on it (bought new) as I had so little money at the time. Certainly wasn't as nice as a 301 or 401!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 01/16/16 at 16:37:25

WOW. Got my Groovetracer record weight and counterweight in and have spun three LP sides. . . .

Both create a noticeable difference, mainly in a slight increase of resolution and diminution of surface noise. Also one lp that had a bit of a warp thump is now thump-less.

I'm happy. Really happy. Groovetracer is the real deal, the products are beautifully machined and they WORK, and work well.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/16/16 at 16:51:46

Lon,

Fantastic news for you, except now you've piqued my interest!  I'm waiting to see if my offer is accepted for a pair of Sennheiser hd-800's, if it isn't i might invest in the reference subplatter for my p6.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 01/16/16 at 16:57:26

I bet you'd enjoy it. The RP6 does have that "composite" sub-platter: aluminum top, plastic base. . . whereas the RP3 was all plastic. But I bet (and there's lots of testimony) that the Groovetracer sub-platter does make a difference, a substantially positive one. And on the RP3 the Delrin platter made a noticeable difference. . . you may have to decide on which sub-platter to get for the RP6 if you decide to go for the Delrin platter . . . (?) (think so).

Anyway, I feel that with all the upgrades I've done (all the Groovetracer and before that the TTPSU, white belt and move to the Exact2) I have a much better turntable than the stock RP3. I can be happy for some time to come now! (Well I hope so).

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/16/16 at 18:15:45

I am looking at pictures of the reference subplatter and the stock p6 subplatter and the groovetracer looks much more impressive.  The positive reviews seem to mention lowering the background noise and providing a smoother movement equaling smoother sound.  I wouldn't complain about improving any or all of those even though I am extremely happy with my sound as is.
I'll probably order one this week. Lon I think the separate motor is a very positive change and its nice all your tweaks have heightened the vinyl experience.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 01/16/16 at 18:19:29

Cool Justin. I did experience less noise both from the platter and table itself and less surface noise, and a smoothness to the sound, and, even though I have the white belt and the TTPSU before the new sub-platter, a more stable sound with no wow and flutter perceptible. I was happy with my sound before too, but now I'm very excited with each LP. I'm sure you'll enjoy the improvement.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/17/16 at 20:51:19

Lon,

I've been following your mods with interest and I can imagine that they have all made good improvements in your sound (except maybe the arm weights -- I don't understand how this one would work).  It spurred me to delve deeper into my TT and I came up with a HUGE improve for almost nothing.  My TT is a fully KAB modified Technics 1200 MkII (which are DD, BTW).  What I did was to get rid of the stock feet -- that I thought were very good -- and put the table on a home-made isolation platform.  It is the same design that I've been using for my speakers and amps.  It essentially isolates from induced vibrations in the audible range.  As an indication of the isolation that I now have, I can pound with both fists on the support and I don't hear a thing through the speakers -- while music plays.

Well, despite my less than audiophile hearing, I can easily hear deeper bass, greater clarity and more separation of instruments within the sound stage.  This is by far the most impressive improvement to the sound that I've made -- including going to a high dollar MC cart!

I think that true isolation for a TT will trump compliant-damping types of footers since even those will have some frequency transference.  Given that vinyl playback is all vibration based, it makes sense that eliminating all other vibration would help the sound.  Better bearings, deader platters, table isolation, etc, all work to that end.

I keep being amazed that there is still more to hear from the same recordings.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 01/17/16 at 21:48:16

Archie, I agree with you entirely. Probably the biggest improvement I got was when I put my RP3 on a PS Audio PowerBase which isolates the component both physically and electrically and offer pretty precise leveling. I love these. They cost too much, I bought most of mine half price or so but still, did it when I had money I could spend. All my components are on these and plugged into these, and these are fed by my PS Audio P5. On top of that I can further tune with isolation feet, the best I have found for the RP3 and the PowerBase are the VooDoo Cable IsoPods, both the old single bearing style and the new three bearing style.

This isolation has really let me know what is happening sonically (tubes in the ZP3, gain on the CSP2+, both sitting on PowerBases as well) and has let me  hear the speed stability improvements that the sub-platter, white belt, and platter have made. I agree that taking care of this area is of paramount importance with turntables.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 01/18/16 at 00:50:58

I hate to sound cliche but with the new isolation things are sounding more "real."  Live music has so much subtle vibrational stuff going on that it's easy to corrupt it in reproduction.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 01/18/16 at 01:21:26

Yes, Ive been paying attention to isolation for a long time, it pays off!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/21/16 at 18:13:20

Lon,

You haven't mentioned anything about a dust cover and I don't know if the Rega even comes with one.  My Technics as a built in cover that I've been using in the down position but I am starting to wonder about vibration effects caused by the cover.  I think the general consensus is to play with the cover removed entirely but that's not really practical for me.  I've thought about placing a heavy book on to while playing to damp out vibration.

What do you do?  I think with good base isolation the dust cover is less of a problem but I don't like to let obvious fixes slide.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 01/21/16 at 19:09:18

My old Rega had a dust cover Archie. I never thought about vibration then but the thinking was they sounded better with the lid open. I`d take it off for a session then replace it, to keep the dust off. It took but a minute to run the duster over it.
Not so with my Roksan Radius 5. If ever a deck needed a dust cover mine does. Levels of acrylic that look beautiful when clean and shiny but when to get the cloth out ? It usually gets a good dusting/wash/clean every time I take it down for servicing. I cover it with a cloth when not in use, but dust is clever  :)

btw The deck had it`s cleanup/service 2 days ago when I took the plunge and removed it`s spiked (in cups) feet and placed 3 of my spring vibration pods under it. Now somethings happened to the sound for the better. I wont say it`s more clinical because the music is more relaxed, flowing better. I would have thought it would improve the overall picture and it has. The bass floor is more room filling, nice.

Once again Archie, as with your Sonic isopods for the speakers I`m tackling vibration without rigid interfaces.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 01/21/16 at 22:37:35

I take the cover off when playing and put it on when not in use. Not because I notice a sonic difference, I really haven't listened for one or noticed one. But because I love to look at the platter and arm and weight, they're beautiful things.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/22/16 at 00:37:09

Syd,

I'm happy that you got a lift from your isolation.  Mine was so stark that I wanted to share my experience.  As I was explaining to my daughter, without isolation there will be vibration input from the surroundings that will cause constructive and destructive interference.  In other words, some things will be missing while other things will be accentuated.  That doesn't sound like a recipe for accurate music reproduction.  I think that's where some of my bass went -- lost to destructive interference.

I think I'll keep my dust cover down but with some weight on it for peace of mind.  My TT is in between and a little behind my speakers so at least it doesn't get a direct hit from the sound.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/26/16 at 21:48:21

Just installed the groovetracer subplatter on the p6, rather simple procedure.  A great upgrade, beautiful milling job and fits perfectly.  I noticed right away that I was retrieving more info than usual on a couple of records I know well. I tend to play my records at the same volume and with the new subplatter it was louder at the same volume setting.
Listened to Sufjan Stevens' Illinoise and Sinatra's and Strings album, now on to the Waterboys.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 01/26/16 at 21:51:25

Great news Justin! It's hard to believe the difference. . .but very easy to hear! They are beautiful pieces as well, nice to look at!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 01/26/16 at 22:08:30

I know Lon,

It sounds crazy even re-reading my own post I can picture people asking how a subplatter could make a difference? After comparing the two side by side (there is no comparison, the groovetracer build is not only very nice to look at but a hefty piece of great American workmanship) my glass platter just seems to float instead my cartridge doing all of the work previously. Dead quiet and effortless movement.  I'm sure if Rega did this on the stock model the cost would go up more than 750 bucks at least. For just under 300 delivered I think it was worth it. Sharp looking seeing that nice silver spindle running through the center of the record.
JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 01/26/16 at 22:23:50

Indeed, the only complaint I have now using the Delrin platter is that I can no longer see the beautiful sub-platter spinning beneath the glass platter on my RP3--the Delrin platter obscures all that. But. . . I really like the sound of the Delrin platter and won't replace it. It has been a further refinement, a mellow character, more vinyl-like.

You're right, Rega would probably charge another 750. On one music board a few people are calling me stupid for investing so much in an "already expensive" table. But another has told me that he feels I've now a table that is better than an RP6 and probably as good as an RP8, for less money (especially as the used RP3 I got has the TTPSU and Exact2 cartridge for about the price of the basic RP3 with an Elys2 and no TTPSU). It's neat that we have these upgrades for Rega tables, and get to do them ourselves, and right in our system we can hear the differences immediately.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 02/13/16 at 16:09:39

Well Justin, still enjoying the effects of the new sub-platter? I can't believe how transformed my turntable is from all the new upgrades. I have a GREAT digital front end or two. . . but still I love the sound of the turntable and ZP3 and those shiny black discs. I've nearly cleaned all my LPs now and so many are quiet and flat and great sounding. I am buying a few that I have wished I had on LP before. I now have the complete Jack Teagarden on Capitol (went for the mono when there was a choice as I have the stereo on cd) and am working on Roulette Teagarden (also focusing on mono as I have the stereo on cd). Man these sound fantastic! I've also gotten a few Eddie Condon on vinyl on Columbia, material I love on the Mosaic cd set but sounds unworldly good on LP. One of these, Bixieland, I would say is probably the most vivid musical playback I can put into my room, digital or analog, and it's a mono recording from '56!

I am jonesing to listen to some vinyl but I have to wait til Tuesday I think. Busy weekend with Lucy getting ready for a big event, and Monday I will be taking my Dad to and from a doctor's appointment in Cleveland and it's going to be snowy and will probably take up all day. Sigh. Come on Tuesday!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/13/16 at 18:34:53

Hey Lon,

I haven't been able to listen as  often as i'd like to but right now I am listening to some Sigur Ros albums.  Later next week I'm planning on spinning a bunch so I like you am trying to be patient. I find it challenging to spin records during the depth of winter because it is so damn dry. I've got a humidifier less than 2ft from my record player in an attempt to add some moisture to the air.
Your music collection is on an epic scale, it's great you have so many mono and stereo recordings. Lately I've been listening to more and more mono records.
Enjoy the tunes.

JD

IP Logged
Finch
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 10/14/16 at 07:28:36

JD, have you been tempted to try the delrin platter or are you still happy with the glass? I have an RP6 and was thinking about getting that subplatter. I would like to try the delrin, but I would have to buy that and a subplatter.

Rega RP6- ZP3- macmini- Benchmark Dac2 HGC- Torii mkii/ SE84 UFO2- MG944/DNA
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 10/14/16 at 15:17:01

As of now I'm happy with the glass though I would like to hear the Delrin platter.  Listened to a bunch of albums last wknd and the sound is fantastic right now.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 10/14/16 at 15:53:47

I love the Delrin platter. Biggest change: the sub platter. That Reference Sup platter just made everything better as far as timing and pace. The Delrin platter solidified this with excellent frequency balance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print