03/29/24 at 13:25:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ERRx with SS (Read 5442 times)
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

ERRx with SS
12/31/15 at 17:33:47

I wouldn't expect the ERRx to have the holographic sound stage it is capable of when used with Decware amps, but how decent is the ERRx sound with solid state amps?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
flargosa

Re: ERRx with SS
Reply #1 - 01/05/16 at 21:01:26

The ERRx is quite transparent, so amp choice is harder because you can hear the amps sound signature.  I like my ERRx paired with either my Odyssey Stratos or Nelson Pass amp both SS.  The amps are smoother sounding and gives it a richer midrange and and highs sound more natural.  

My other amp a Parasound 2125, makes the highs sound bit harsher and the mids a little thinner. I don't know if my parasound is more transparent and I am hearing the digital recording, but it doesn't as good as the other amps.  Best thing to do is probably try 2 - 3 amps and see which ones you like paired with the ERRx.  Maybe one of the Decware amps?

Sources: 2Qute, Hugo 2, Rega P5, Marantz SACD 8005.
Amps: Decware SE84UFO2, Torii, Nelson Pass Aleph, Elekit 8600s
Speakers: Tekton, Golden Ear Triton Two, HD800S.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/07/16 at 18:05:28

Currently I have a 50-watt Bryston 2B-LP power amp, and a B&K PT-3 pre-amp, so I guess we'll see how that works.

For a replacement, I wonder if the Rachel or Taboo3 would be a good pairing?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/16 at 22:32:09

My Taboo I had did sound great with my ERRx speakers. My old Tori MKlll also sounded great as well as my ZMA (way more power than I need). I am currently using a Micro ZOTL2 made by Urban Audio and even though it's a 1 watt tube amp (actually a headphone amp like the taboo), it sounds like the best solid state ever because of its incredible speed. It's hard to believe a 1 watt amp can play loud but the ERRx are very efficient.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print