Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RCA 12AU7A/ECC82 (Read 4611 times)
Greg12
Seasoned Member

RCA 12AU7A/ECC82
12/05/15 at 23:20:38

Hi all,

So I was at an antique shop today and they had a whole RCA repairman's tube box there, full of mostly RCA tubes.  I only recognized the single 12AU7A and a Raytheon 5Y3GT.  Both boxes looked fresh and the tubes new.  The lady there was nice enough to let me buy just those two for $9 total.  I popped the 12AU7A in my ZP3.  Sounded great.  Lively.  I was hoping for more information on what exactly it is and if it's considered a nice tube.

Thanks,

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: RCA 12AU7A/ECC82
Reply #1 - 12/06/15 at 02:06:51

Greg, what you've got is an RCA Clear Top with a side getter.  They are very common and sound pretty good. Joe of "Joe's tube Lore" rated it highly with only Holland made Amperex 12AU7s higher. I personally have found others I like better...my favorite being a RCA Triple Mica black plate 5814.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/06/15 at 05:18:29

OK.  Thanks Mark. Not a diamond  in the rough then  Still, it did sound good and so I'm  happy.  For $4.50, what the heck. I think iI'll put it back in and see how it sounds after it burns in.

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/06/15 at 12:37:20

Mark, I think I have a triple mica black plate 5814, but I think its GE and not RCA??

Anyway, I bought it for a tube preamp that has long since fallen out of use.

Would the GE version be of any value?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/06/15 at 13:01:10

Pal,  I'm not sure that I've tried a GE version of the triple mica black plate 5814 but sure, give it a try anywhere a 12AU7 is called for...should sound good. Now, I do have some GE Triple Mica Black Plate 5751s that can be used in any 12AX7 spot in the ZP3.  They are not as good as my favored Sylvania versions but none the less very good, more easily obtained and cheaper than the RCA and Sylvania versions.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/06/15 at 13:09:42

Greg, Joe of "Joe's Tube Lore" in general has similar findings and opinions as I do regarding the tubes he reviews...so I'll probably go back and reevaluate the RCA clear tops since I've made a lot of changes since I first briefly tried them more than a year ago.  I bought a multiple lot of Conn labeled RCA clear tops that likely are NOS and in need of break in. At the time I didn't give them long in the ZP3 before moving on.  Mark.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/06/15 at 19:26:36

Yeah Mark, I think I'll put mine back in for a couple weeks anyways and see how I like it.  I had been thinking of getting a back up 12AU7 anyways so it was a timely find.  Hopefully we both have good results with them.

Greg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print