Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 20:30:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
QUESTION RE: ZDSD VOLUME CONTROL (Read 3396 times)
i8on
Verified Member

QUESTION RE: ZDSD VOLUME CONTROL
12/01/15 at 21:20:45

I discovered that when playing a CD connected via coax to ZDZD and played with "IN MONITORING: ON" that the "INPUT VOLUME" can be increased from MUTE in small increments. I wonder if I could bypass the pre-amp section of my integrated and connect the ZDSD directly to the "Main In" of its (my integrated amp) amplifier section.

Question: Does anyone use their ZDSD direct into an amplifier playing from CD with IN-Monitoring on?

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: QUESTION ZDSD VOLUME CONTROL
Reply #1 - 12/02/15 at 04:55:30

Hi i8on,

I've been experimenting with that very thing. I'm coming out of my cd player to the ZDSD either with coax or analogue, bypassing the preamp, going direct into my power amps, controlling the volume with the remote. What engaging sound! Maybe the best that I've had so far. And that was great, but then I made the mistake of bypassing the preamp, and going direct to my power amps using the SD playback. Do not do this! That requires you to turn the internal monitoring off, which appears to deactivate the control over the output level from the menu. I didn't blow my drivers out (or my ears), but it was not a pleasant experience, or one that I would care to repeat. I'm perfectly willing to admit that my understanding of the way the ZDSD works internally is incomplete, so if anyone knows a different way to control the volume of the SD card playback internally, I'd love to know it. As far as I can tell, SD card playback levels need to be controlled externally - by that I mean with a separate preamp. I'm afraid that I was traumatized by my experience, so I haven't performed that little experiment yet, but I will once I recover. Hope this helps. Anyone else played around with this yet?

Thanks,
Randy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print