Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:58:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any advantage highpassing the ERRx? (Read 7026 times)
flargosa

Any advantage highpassing the ERRx?
11/11/15 at 16:04:53

From what I have read, full range speakers can increase fidelity by relieving it of the low frequencies and using a sub for it. What do you guys think? Any disadvantages on high passing the ERRx maybe at 60 hz? Huh  

Sources: 2Qute, Hugo 2, Rega P5, Marantz SACD 8005.
Amps: Decware SE84UFO2, Torii, Nelson Pass Aleph, Elekit 8600s
Speakers: Tekton, Golden Ear Triton Two, HD800S.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: Any advantage highpassing the ERRx?
Reply #1 - 11/17/15 at 18:32:43

Give it a shot and see what you think. The only part you might have a hard time with is blending the sub with your speakers. You will have to play with the x-over frequency to see what sounds good to the sub and the speakers. I would start with 80Hz and go down from there. Also make sure your sub is quick to keep up with the speakers. Don't use a HT sub. I would recommend a sealed sub or a horn sub like the WO32. The WO32 blends nicely with full range drivers.

IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #2 - 11/18/15 at 19:35:56

I got the hsu high-end crossover, crossing it at 62hz. It clears up the mids and highs.  the improvement is quite noticeable.  I don't hear any degradation in sound with the hsu crossover unlike the  f-mod which thinned out the mids.  Sounds great playing vinyl, sacd and using the bifrost dac.  Right now it is in the living room sparring against my Gallo Strada 2 and Micro diva se speakers.  Loser goes to Audiogon. I'm using the gallo tr-3D sub.  

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/19/15 at 20:28:45

That looks like a nice sub. How do you like it?
Let us know who wins in your shootout.

John

IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #4 - 11/23/15 at 02:58:44

Gallo TR-3D sounds better than my $200 Martin Logan sub.  I don't really have anything to compare it to. I would like to believe the sub is on par with other $1k subs.  The bass on my living room is very transparent with no bloat or muddiness.

It is hard to pick a winner right now, both are incredibly capable speakers with very different sound signatures, each highlighting different aspects of the music.  I have an AB switch on my amp, to switch between each set of speakers.  Sometimes I think I like one when I switch to the other I like it too.  

IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #5 - 11/07/16 at 11:55:34

Just wanted to give an update.  I bought a used Decware SE84CKC to test against my DIY Nelson Pass amp.  I removed the crossover(Hsu high end crossover @ 75 hz) and subwoofer(Gallo TR-3d) this time.  With the Decware amp, it sounds better without the crossover. There is better cohesion, vocals are a little fuller with more bite and bass is full that I don't miss my sub at all. I'll keep comparing to see what I like better, but overall I like the simpler setup of Tidal(lossless)/Rega P5 > Chord 2Qute>SE84CKC>ERRx.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print