Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:37:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impressions from new owner's (Read 26346 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Impressions from new owner's
11/11/15 at 00:53:55

This week I think we'll be shipping the final amp from the pre-order list, so there are now 20 TORII JR's making music or soon to be!

So my question is to those who've had one for a bit, how do you like it?  What are your impressions and what are you pairing it with?

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Re: Impressions from new owner's
Reply #1 - 11/18/15 at 00:09:19

In one word, YOWZA! I believe I have number 5, and have about 150 hours of serious listening time now. I've been meaning to say something about this phenomenal transition to the wonderful world of tubes, but this damned new addition to the family has taken away almost all of my at home computer time Grin. I have noticed that I'm seeking out primarily hard bop jazz, and anything acoustical. Jazz, classical up to a quintet, guitar, etc. listening now to Branford Marsalis' 50 year redo of Coltrane's A Love Supreme.......YOWZA again, his transition from title track to Persuation is out there, wow! More later, time to listen.

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
Silver Teflon speaker cables
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
Technics SL-1200 Mark II turntable
Centrance Hifi-M8/iPhone streaming Tidal lossless 1,411 kbps
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 11/19/15 at 02:17:43

Here is a review I recently got and posted in the reviews section of the foru:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1447700564

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 11/19/15 at 17:53:49

Congrats Hekowee, if I did not have the ZMA....the Jr. is a no brainer to purchase. I loved my pentodes in triode for many years....(SE84CS). Now, I'm addicted to the Power and Dynamic's I can only get from Steve's UL with no negative feedback and topology!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/19/15 at 19:08:43

Thank you, the ZMA is the new carrot dangling before me. But before I possibly step up, I believe my next move will be the CSP3 pre. I'd like to get about 500 hours into this system first; have about 170 now. All of the holidays coming up will provide some quality listening time, and I'm not talking X-mas carols here ahahahahaha.

Cheers,

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
Silver Teflon speaker cables
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
Technics SL-1200 Mark II turntable
Centrance Hifi-M8/iPhone streaming Tidal lossless 1,411 kbps
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 11/20/15 at 15:28:32

Yes, my CSP3 with Jupiter Caps....I will not part with. I'm considering the new Pre...but I don't need it.

I love what the CSP3 brings to my System. The voltage output is just superb, for density and slam. While maintaining transparency...or I would not have it.

Same here, .....I'm not talking xmas carols! Enjoy the holidays with great TUNES out of your awesome System.

Goes great with a holiday brew or two:
Summit Extra Pale Ale
Summit Hopvale Ale
Surly Overrated West Coast IPA
Summit Winter Ale   Cool

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research ZiTron Alpha Digital Power Cord

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)
{also @ kept/-20 Ref Level & -.5db or -1.0 Input volume Level}

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
(NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube~NOS/Platinum/Nationals/Matsushita PCC88 for Output Tubes & 5U4G-C Rectifier)
10 of 10 for Input tube & (8 or 9) of 10 voltage for Output tubes
Volume adjustment used at 0 to 40%

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
(NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions~6N23P's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 50% to 70% of Volume

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/16 at 02:01:31

Are there any more reviews? It has been awhile with not many! I hope to hear from some happy users.  I would especially like to hear Push-Pull to Single end comparisons.

Thanks, Brian

IP Logged
popthropologist
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/14/16 at 03:29:55

I only have about 10 hours on my Torii Jr and ZP3 combo but they already beat my McIntosh MX110z integrated that they replaced. I hear it in the cohesive sound top to bottom and in the reverb decay on vocals. Really something.

I'm running them through Blumenstein Orcas (which are a very minimalist, single driver design), and I think they are allowing me to hear into the amps more deeply as well.

Very pleased so far.

IP Logged
Rraymond
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/14/16 at 23:04:03

I've got about 50 hours on my Tori Jr. and also ERRx speakers.  They just started to loosen up very nicely.  It amazes me that you can really tell such big differences in the different recordings and inputs.  I would have to say that's a really good sign of how TRUE this amp is to what the original recordings should sound like.  I still am limiting the Tori Jr. because I realize it's only going to sound as good as the weakest link(and I have a few things) which I need to change out over time but even with these limitations, this thing sounds AWESOME!  I wish I could describe it but there are no words that could really do it...  I'm hearing things I've never heard from the music.  I find myself getting out of my chair and running to the front door to see who's there because I though I heard the doorbell. Nobody's there....lol  Sounds are flying everywhere and are so distinct and articulated on some recordings.  So far, just loving it and I find when I'm driving home from work, I'm thinking about what to listen to next.  
Rick

Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated, Zu Soul Superfly speakers, Acoustic Solid TT with Denon 103 MC cart, PS Audio NuWave phono, Zu Event MKII speaker cables with BU3 connectors.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/14/16 at 23:05:40

Rick, it seems cliche to say it, but "Welcome to the club." So many of us here have been through what you went through and what you will be experiencing. We love our Decware!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/15/16 at 01:09:25

My sentiments as well, welcome.

JD

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/15/16 at 19:32:46

Wow Rick, thats pretty impressive, sounds like your ERRX`s are finding themselves right at home.   Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/18/16 at 14:51:54

popthropologist said: "I hear it in the … reverb decay on vocals."

I like that part!

IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 03/29/17 at 07:49:51

I have had my Torii Jnr for 2 months now. I've let the tubes break in somewhat; and I've done some tube rolling.  The amp is FANTASTIC ... Really.  It's really a very very good amp.  

The tubes I've rolled in and kept are a gz32 Mullard rectifier and a couple of Amperex 6dj8 bugle boys on the inputs. (I also have some Mullard e188cc tubes coming - I'll see how they are.). But all this is fine tuning.  

The amp is everything I expected from reading about the design and the thought that went into it.  Just phenomenal.  It works really well with my audio nirvana classic 10" drivers (in 5.6 cubic feet cabinets).  I've also got a Decware ZStage (with a Mullard 12au7 c4003) driving the input. The zstage is really a great piece of kit too.  Perfect compliment to the Torii Jnr.

Sitting upstairs, watching the ocean and the cliffs off the cape .... Hearing all my favourite vinyls and CDs  ... It doesn't get much better.  Imaging, details, tone, etc... are all top notch.

I can whole heartedly recommend this amp to anyone who cares about tone.  It's my first Decware amp (not my first tube amp); and its such a joy to have found it.

Ive already recommended it to a fellow vinyl enthusiast - and he's loving his too.  (Cmon Marc, leave your impressions here too  8-) Smiley)

Congratulations Steve. Brilliant. Brilliant  ;D

IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 03/31/17 at 04:34:15

Just a quick addendum to my post above ...

For my ears, in my setup, with my room and speakers ...

The Mullard/RTC e188cc is the ONE.  Amperex second, but a bit much in the high end on my very efficient speakers.  The Mullards give me the tone and the goosebumps!... In the best way possible.

Again Steve... What a PHENOMENAL AMPLIFIER.

I'm listening to Lou Reed's Transformer album on vinyl right now.

The strings and bass in Perfect Day -  WOW
Lou Reed's voice is in the room, hanging between the speakers
Hearing him take breaths between phrases

The upright bass on Take a walk on the wild side, snappy and popping and you can hear 'the wood' of the instrument

And that reverb decay... Particularly on the background singers ... Brilliant.

I'm loving it.

Kudos!
Grin Grin

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #15 - 03/31/17 at 06:11:01

DrDave,
Welcome to the family and I am happy to hear you are enjoying your gear as much as all of us here.  Like you, I am very fond of the Torii Jr.  It is an amp that far exceeds its specs and price point.  It has incredible bang for its buck and with the right speakers (and tubes), it is hard to beat.

Like you, I found that tubes had a profound effect on the type of sound this little gem puts out.  I had come to find that with my very efficient Monoliths, there were some tubes (very reputable ones) that were a bit over the top on the mids to highs with this amp.  But then again, that is the beauty of tubes.  They allow us to play around with the flavor of sound until we are left drooling... then we stop, sit back, and enjoy!  

Happy listening!   Smiley

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/31/17 at 18:52:39

Torii Juniors rule!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 04/03/17 at 09:34:14

Hi Jeff and Tommy

Agreed. The Torii Jnr is so fast and transparent. The resolution is incredible.

Not doubt this has a lot to do with how it is put together (of course - duh  ;D).  Having components directly soldered with just the parts wires (with no extra wires) and using a very direct signal path would have a big impact on how particular tubes sound in that circuit.

In my time with the amp ... I have found myself leaning towards "warmer" sounding tubes; rather than "airy" or detailed tubes.  

It is an excellent amp.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #18 - 04/29/17 at 17:38:14

Excellent amp.
On the advice I received from Steve I just added a quad of Tung-Sol 6L6G tubes and would highly recommend them with the TORII Jr.
I really like what they do in this amp.
I just posted in the tubes section on this tube if you want to read up on them, Will gives a very excellent description of some others there as well as this one.
I think the TORII Jr. is an excellent amp and agree with what others say here, it is "very open transparent fast and detailed" and everything you do with your system as far as interconnects tubes etc, makes a very noticeable change.

IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 05/01/17 at 12:03:39

SonicSeeker

That sounds very interesting.  What's the bias setting needed for the 6l6gc tubes?  I wasn't aware that the Torii Jnr could even accept those valves.

Thanks for that feedback and information.

Awesome

IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 05/02/17 at 13:07:45

As usual... I really should pay attention to the manual more. Just when I thought I had read it throroughly!

I see those 6L6 tubes are fine in the Jnr.

Is the bias the same? That is, is the 40mA/0.825 VDC value still the correct bias value?

I've changed tube types in guitar amps (el34 to kt88 etc...) and the correct bias value was different for the different tube types. (For these values I used Dan Torres' Inside Tube Amps book.)

From his charts it seems 6L6 tubes "want" a lower value than EL34 tubes.

Is this the case in the Torii Jnr?

I guess I'm asking SonicSeeker: what did Steve advise?

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #21 - 05/02/17 at 17:22:45

Steve recommended the 6L6G to be set to the same bias.

IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 05/03/17 at 11:14:38

Thanks SonicSeeker
Smiley

Again, it also says clearly (and capitalised) in the manual:

ALWYAS BIAS ANY TUBE YOU INSTALL TO 40mA/0.825 VDC

Undecided

IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 06/21/17 at 02:37:33

I installed a set of Tung Sol 6L6G tubes and I am very pleased with how these tubes sound in the Torii Jnr; in my set up.  As SonicSeker described, the sound is deeper and nicer in the mid range.  The top end is softer than the EL34s; and this effect was quite welcome in my set up.

Thanks for the "heads up" Sonic Seeker.

I am very very happy.

Cool

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #24 - 06/25/17 at 15:37:18

That's great Dr. Dave, enjoy.

IP Logged
DrDave
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 07/27/17 at 09:59:55

Hi

Just wanted to update my impressions and tube rolling experience with the Torii Jnr.

I'm now using some Vokshod 6n23p tubes and have found them to be my favourites in my set up.

The 6L6G Tung sols are rockin' still ... even better than before!

What an amp!

PS I tried some 6n1p tubes from cryoset, but they didn't work very well at all.  Lots of clipping and compression.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print