Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The ultimate Zen amp! (Read 4927 times)
IanO
Verified Member

The ultimate Zen amp!
09/12/15 at 13:37:04

Hi,
I will be ordering a new Zen in the new year once I move and wonder what spec to get. I would be interested to hear from existing owners on what they consider to be the ultimate zen ! I know this is very subjective but I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and experiences. I have been steered away from monoing two on a thread on audio circle. So a single Zen into my DM 946 speakers. I also intend to order a pair of Omega monitors at the same time. For me I think stepped attenuator, XLR's and upgraded caps would be optimal. XLR from my Accuphase and single ended from phonostage.
Not sure about caps. Maybe V-Caps but some people seem to think Jupiter caps are a better option? I really do appreciate any feedback recieved.
Re Smileygards.
Ian...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: The ultimate Zen amp!
Reply #1 - 09/12/15 at 14:07:53

Lots of info on this board along these lines, but they are likely confusing.

The good news is you can't really make a bad choice, especially with your speakers. After living with the smallest amps, then the mid-size Integrated, then the Toriis (II and III) I'm most enamored of the Toriis, mainly because of their flexibility which allows me to listen to the not so stellar recordings that comprise most of my collection quite comfortably. If you're looking to squeeze out the most fidelity and detail (warts and all) then the smallest amps are likely to fit your bill best. They can make listening to mediocre and bad recordings almost unbearable though, which is why I moved toward the Toriis (that and the fact that I've learned to love the ERR and HR-1 speakers and they like the power!)

I've never heard V-Caps. . . I love the sound of the Jupiter caps in my Toriis and my CSP2+s. That is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I haven't used any Decware XLR transformer connections--I don't necessarily need "sparkle" and "density" with my system, and in fact prefer to not have an excess of either, and that seems to be the two big benefits. But we all have different system needs and wants and tastes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/12/15 at 14:28:16

Thanks Lon,
I have thought about going the Torii route but think I'm drawn more to the warts n' all approach! So probably this is the right amp for me. With the monitors I'm thinking the extra density will be a good thing! Whichever way I go it should move my system on. Can't wait!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/12/15 at 14:31:55

Cool. The little amps have a real magic to them. I have a modded C amp that gives really amazing sound, though they don't put out the bass I need with the HR-1s in the big listening space I have now, and get a bit dynamically compressed due to the low power. With different, more efficient speakers and a different room it'd be amazing. In your shoes I'd certainly look hard at the SE84CKCS https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKCS.html

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print