Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:07:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monolith cabinet/floor interface (Read 8876 times)
Hekowee
Verified Member

Monolith cabinet/floor interface
08/26/15 at 22:59:28

Have a pair of the Monoliths on order, and my current listening room is carpeted at the present, what would be the recommended interface between cabinet, and floor? Thank you

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
Silver Teflon speaker cables
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
Technics SL-1200 Mark II turntable
Centrance Hifi-M8/iPhone streaming Tidal lossless 1,411 kbps
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Monolith cabinet/floor interface
Reply #1 - 08/27/15 at 12:36:12

I have tried a number of things including Herbie's Audio Gliders (good) and my favorite is Ingress Audio Rollerblocks, four per speaker. Really works for my speakers and the last four floors they sat on. I haven't preferred them for components, but as an interface between speaker and floor I find them excellent.

http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/products-and-services.php

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/27/15 at 16:55:51

Thanks for the tip, the roller blocks look very impressive.

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/27/15 at 16:58:45

You're welcome. I really enjoy them and they're not that expensive. The builder is a very nice guy.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/27/15 at 17:22:50

It looks like the discs are threaded so you might try a spike in the lower part to stabilize on the carpet.  That shouldn't effect the intended operation of the device.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/27/15 at 18:05:34

That's a thought. I was thinking about getting two slabs of granite, marble, or limestone to put on the carpet, then put the roller blocks in between???

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/27/15 at 19:10:31

If you are thinking of placing the Rollerblocks on spikes, I would be very leary. . . would be very hard to apply these to the speakers and put them in place. In my opinion nothing is needed between the speaker and the floor but the Rollerblocks themselves, no granite slabs etc. I wouldn't personally put things between, that would seriously alter the listening height for my situation, something that wouldn't be great at all.

IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/27/15 at 19:50:08

I guess my concern was putting the roller blocks on a stable surface. The carpet is medium nap, and we will be replacing it with hardwood flooring and a large matted rug in the center of the room sometime next year. Was thinking a stone/tile no thicker than 3/8" would help give the blocks something solid on the carpet. Hmmmmm. I'm going to the Mothership to pick up the speakers, and Tori Jr., so may have an opportunity to consult with Steve about it. Really do appreciate the discussion. Just wanna do it right the first time, eh?

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/27/15 at 22:23:31

I can see your concern, but the lower block fits well into carpet and everything above is isolated by the ball bearing and "cup". . . to be honest I don't think it makes any difference what the lower block sits on as long as it's stationary, and at least with my HR-1s tweeter height really effects sound, even in half or inch increments, so I don't futz with the height more than the height of the rollerblocks.

Results may depend on the speakers I guess. Would be interesting to hear what Steve says.

IP Logged
Hekowee
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/27/15 at 23:24:41

Well that's just awesome. KISS methodology is my default mode, so that will work perfect; great price too.

Many thanks, and cheers too.

Zen Torii Jr
CSP3
ZRock2
Zen Monolith 947
Silver interconnects
ZSB switch box
Emotiva CD player
Yamaha Tuner