Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 06:50:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5 months with the Monoliths (Read 6583 times)
TimHouston
Verified Member

5 months with the Monoliths
05/30/15 at 03:11:24

After 5 month of listening to the Monoliths on a TorII MkIV I have to say that this combination is amazing in many ways.  Both the speakers and the amp take considerable break in before they start working well togehter.  

My only issue at this time is that the tweeter seems a little bright on some materials and I an wondering what I could do to tame this a little.  The treble on the amp is at maximum cut, but it is not enough.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: 5 months with the Monoliths
Reply #1 - 06/02/15 at 17:45:26

Tim, I have a MKIII and speaker wires did it for me.  I suspect I had to get away from Silver clad copper wires.  Just an idea.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
IanO
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/07/15 at 19:00:13

I don't know how the tweeter sounds now but I changed the cap in my Dm946's which made the sound not only more detailed but more liquid.

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/10/15 at 22:46:40

I didn't know we were able to change caps.  What about adding an external resistor to bring down the highs a bit?  Anyone try either?

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/10/15 at 22:56:54

I just looked at a pic of the Monoliths and yes you could add an external resistor to attenuate the tweeter.  I have added Mundorf Supreme 10 ohm resistors to my HR-1 speakers to do just that.  Mark.

PS...Pal makes a good point above.  I went from silver plated cooper to just cooper speaker cables and made further improvements in regards to High end brightness.  Tube rolling can add more improvements.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print