04/18/24 at 17:03:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mobile Audio Find (Read 3342 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Mobile Audio Find
08/06/15 at 15:56:24

I don’t know if anyone will be interested in this, but thought I would toss it out.

I spend a good amount of time traveling for work during the fall/winter and during the Spring/Summer months, I spend a lot of time outdoors – particularly on beaches because I sail a beach catamaran.  As such, I am into mobile audio.

For years I have used iPods and DIY boomboxes.  I have also used iPod line out cords with headphone amps to give the music a little more quality and umph.

I have schemed about how I could run one of my digital transports via battery in order to use a battery powered DAC with my outdoor rig, but never done anything about it.  I’ve also lusted over some portable amp/dac combos on the market for a while, but they have been fairly expensive.

So while looking for a lower cost/higher SQ solution, I recently stumbled across the Fiio line of digital audio players (DAPs).  There are other brands, but I have used their headphone amps in the past and they seemed to have a good cost/value ratio.

For $200 I got their X3 second generation unit.   http://www.fiio.net/en/products/39

It looks like an old generation 1 iPod but it has some decent internals.  It uses the Cirrus Logic 4398 dac chip.  I think this is the same chip in the Teac 501 DAC Steve was running for a while.  It also has dual crystal oscillators, good op amp, etc.  All the music is stored on a micro SD card up to 128 gb.  Some have suggested this may be expanded later via firmware when higher capacity cards come out.

Unlike an iPod, it plays most formats (FLAC, APE, AIFF, MP3, etc.) up to 24/96 plus plays DSD 64/128 natively.  It also decodes .iso SACD files on the fly.  

Yes, it sounds solid state, but pretty decent solid state and I haven’t felt the fatigue I get when listening on headphones/earbuds that I get with the iPod.  It has enough output that I don’t need a headphone amp plus it has a high gain setting that is great for when I really want more volume out of my boombox.

It has a line out to connect to an amp (like my boombox) or headphone amp and SPDIF out if you want to port it to an external DAC.  Finally, it’s also a standalone USB DAC.

I haven’t used it as a USB DAC yet, but I did run SPDIF out of the X3 into my Chord DAC to play some DSD files on my Decware rig last night.  Sounded fine.   Soundstage seeming smaller was about my only nit.

So I have gained better SQ, tons more format options than iPods support, SPDIF out and a portable USB DAC while I have given up the refined iPod UI and the iTunes integration (which I could never use for hi res files on the iPod anyway).

If you are in to mobile music, these DAPs relatively cheap, offer decent SQ, are flexible and worth checking out.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Mobile Audio Find
Reply #1 - 08/06/15 at 20:30:13

Yep, the clue of it all is not letting any of this amphibious gear get WET!  ;)

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/15 at 20:34:00

Well it doesn't go on the water with me. But I do watch like a hawk if it loos like rain.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/14/15 at 21:51:36

Well, a few people read this thread so I thought I would update it.

After listening on my way to work for a few weeks on my Etymotic ER4Ps (I take the train), I can say I am very satisfied with the SQ.  Very good detail, fairly neutral.  At first I thought maybe too analytical, but now either I have gotten used to it or simply come to appreciate the sound.  They really bring out the best bass in the 4Ps that are known as a bass-shy earphone.  I am now enjoying high res music on the go.

Still not crazy about the soundstage, but it's fine.  I have yet to experience listening fatigue, but most of my listening has been under an hour.

I did a little A/B with my daughter on my boombox and she picked out the X3 as being better four out of four times when I tested against my iPod classic.  On headphones, it's not even close.  I think you can not only tell it has a different sound, but a better one.

On getting music into the X3, its a bit slow but not terrible if you remove the micro SD card and put it in an SD adapter then directly into the computer versus using a USB cord.

The big drawback is its lack of iTunes playlist (or any software playlist) support.  There is a $20 ap that allows fairly seamless integration, but I haven't tried the demo version yet.

So other than the iTunes integration, I am pretty happy with this little player.  They have come a long way in mobile DAC/players.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print