Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:33:38 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AURALiC Vega D/A processor (Read 62523 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

AURALiC Vega D/A processor
07/22/15 at 14:11:54

Well, I've been intrigued by this D/A processor for over a year now. I decided to get one and enjoy the heck out of it! I should have it soon.

I decided to exchange my Stealth Indra for the Vega DAC. I can't afford both. I got a good handle on the (used) Indra in the 60 hours I put on her. I'm a dyed in the wool Kimber Select 1030 IC man. So damn musical with Decware. I won't look back again.

I decided not to trade the Indra in for a REL S5 or G2 Subs. I have the bass I need in my intimate room. I really would like an S5 for my downstairs Rig. However, I would rather get the Auralic Vega for my Listening Room and compare to my ZDSD for PCM.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)

AURALiC Vega D/A processor.....coming!

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
***NOS/Platinum/Ediswan's CV2492/6922 in my A12 an B12 positions***

Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: AURALiC Vega D/A processor
Reply #1 - 07/22/15 at 14:55:22

A reference from Head Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764978/vega-vs-yggdrasil

In summary, this Audio Pro (atomicbob) concludes:

After 700+ hours I feel the gap is widening between the Yggdrasil and the Vega, favoring the Yggdrasil.

Don't get me wrong, the Vega is one fine DAC and possibly best in class for delta-sigma types. But the 3-D,  the sense of space, etc. is really special with the Yggdrasil.

I'm keeping my Yggy order and can't wait for it to arrive, with the ZBit already in my listening room.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 07/22/15 at 15:00:45

You beat me to it Fireblade!

Anyway, yes the Vega is the antithesis of the Yggy. Ladder DAC yggy etc....vs. the architecture of the Vega.

For me, their is added value in the digital domain preamp which also has its critic's... . I'm hoping and should be able to find an Audio Society of MN member(s) that has a Yggy and/or PS Audio DSD DAC for comparison this winter.   = FUN!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 07/22/15 at 15:14:14

I think both are great DACs. In fact, my Sabre-based Audio Gd NFB3 (2014), another Delta-Sigma proposal, is wonderful, and although quite detailed, it never projects a too clinical presentation. But, the Yggy and Vega are in a different class and should be quite rewarding when coupled to the right gear.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #4 - 07/22/15 at 15:35:42

Yes, both are great DAC's.

Michael Lavorgna was running the Vega into his Pass INT-30A. As close as you're going to get to "tube like" from Solid State. It should be a good match into my ZMA direct and through my CSP3. No worries.
http://www.audiostream.com/content/auralic-vega-digital-audio-processor-0#t8ehZs...

(I use the terms, "tube like" for differentiation, ....we know Steve's Amps are not "tubey"....what they are, is an emotional connection to our Music....that no Solid State Amp can match).

I sometimes come close to getting an:
Pass Labs XA-30.8 class-A stereo power amp.  Point-8! Demo, NEW condition, three years transferable factory warranty, new factory double-boxing, Satisfaction Guaranteed.  S/N 30116.  $4995.  
......however, I'm in my 14th hour of my Ediswan 6922's in my ZMA = Heaven. I can't roll input/pre tubes in the PASS......... . ZMA wins!

Keep in mind, Head-fi? ....is Head-fi.... .
Opinions are like "you know whats"....everyone's got one.  :D Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 07/28/15 at 15:31:12

Joe received back my Indra IC. Unfortunately, Auralic does not drop ship direct to me. It has to ship to Joe...then me.

I'm hoping to have the Vega in my Rig by 8/6 or 7. Or by, 8/10 or 11.

Augmenting the Alchemy of gain volume and voltage output I use in my CSP3 and ZMA......with the volume control output of the Vega, should prove interesting.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 07/31/15 at 20:00:48

My ETA is 8/11 or 12 for sure!

I'm going to run her direct at first into my ZMA unbalanced and then balanced via Cardas XLR adapters....to hear what that yields.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRFXLFRC

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 08/10/15 at 19:54:08

On the road to me for Friday! ....then I'm done.  ::) Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 08/11/15 at 13:14:18

She deliver's on Thursday!  I'm not excited or anything.... .

I'm going to drive my ZMA direct with her for 3 weeks straight...then, bring the CSP3 back into the chain. I want to get a good sense of the volume attenuation/any dynamic loss/compression and/or subjective bit truncation. +, the four modes for PCM.

Football is back, Ballers! Come Saturday, I will have to pry myself away to make it for kickoff at 7:05 at TCF Stadium...go Vikes (girlfriend is season ticket holder).  

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Auralic+Vega&mkt=en-us&refig=ea6724b1221d4ab391cf84...

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1437570714/7

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 08/13/15 at 15:11:35

Actually, I'm going to keep all things equal, my settings on my CSP3 an volume I adjust, + where I keep my ZMA...turned down 10 to 15% from usable gain.
I look forward to the adjustable volume/Vega, from my Listening Seat!

Then, after a couple weeks, I will take my CSP3 out and drive my ZMA direct.

FedEx delivers between 12:30 and 2pm today!  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 08/13/15 at 22:26:09

I've had her in for an hour an 40 minutes (as described/set up in my post #9). The Femto clock warmed up in an hour and I was able to access and use EXACT clock. Using Filter mode 3 for now. Running PCM from Transport.

Very intuitive Menu, beautifully crafted piece. I ran through all its Menu function-all good-via the remote.

The sound: It has a long way to go to match the Timbre and Air, I'm getting from Steve's ZDSD for PCM.  Time will tell! She needs some serious burn in-Output Stage included.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 08/14/15 at 17:19:22

The Vega has an hours of use clock. Very cool added value function. Sure, I can count them myself....but I'd rather have the clock counter in the menu to refer to!

Seven hours in is a long way from the 130+, I've put on all the other DACS that have come through here....but here is my initial impressions:

First off, I backed the voltage output down from 8's to 7's, on my CSP3 6N1P-EV's output tubes. This allowed for more usable gain from the CSP3, which is fleshing things out nicely from the Vega now, driving into the CSP3 to ZMA at 90% of its usable volume. Listening in the mid 80's of SPL. Meter's rock solid.

NOTE: the CSP3 is an incredible Preamp! Read: Adjustable Voltage Output!
This allows me to use the Volume Output of the Vega between 85 and 100. Nice to be able to do that from my chair with no loss! The Pre in the Vega is worth half its price for sure.

Sound: In Mode 1 and using Auto Digital Input from Illuminati D-60 RCA from Transport PCM....a wonderful detailed an seductive musical presentation with Timbre fleshing out now as well. Great imaging, with a laidback soundstage.

I like it so far. However, so far, I prefer the Vivid Live (read: More Real) presentation I get from Steve's Output Stage of the ZDSD for PCM at 16/176.

This could shape up to be a keeper in both cases. For sure, Steve's DAC stays....his Voicing is incredible out of the ZDSD. The best 1600 bucks you will ever spend on a front end.

The tale of two DACS ensues......... . I have to wrap her up at the 10 hour mark on the Vega's clock counter. To nice to be inside!

I'll pop back in after I have 40 or 50+ hours on her.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/18/15 at 09:02:28

Please try upsampling some Redbook with software to 352kHz using Filter 4. Compare it to native sample rate.

Also, the XLR outputs are the same 4v as the RCA. Yes, RCA is a hot 4V output. So I use some Cardas adapters with correct pin floated so I can use the ORFEO output stage in XLR.

Dialing in the right gain structure is key, sounds like you are on track with Vega at 85+

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 08/19/15 at 17:27:16

1.5 MHz PCM....in Filter Mode 4 with FEMTO EXACT Clock in from Transport. She's a keeper!

Sometimes I use Filter Mode 1..... .

NO, I did not order a Yggy. Pleassseee?!   Grin Grin Grin Cool

Listening Room:

AURALiC Vega D/A processor

(.....will be sometimes rotated in~great machine)

Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/E88CC .....for Input Tube)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 08/21/15 at 16:16:03

Yes, hifitubes. The output voltage 4.7 or so I believe, unbalanced, added to the appeal of the Vega for me. I will be trying the Cardas XLR adapters to hear the ORFEO output stage (balanced vs. unbalanced).

How long have you had yours? I'm running from Transport for PCM only right now. My Vega did ship with the 2.0 software...so I'm good to go on Quad-Rate DSD! (Page 63 of the current Stereophile magazine). I love the hours counter on the Vega too.

Not surprising: I have found the gold zone for my Vega/unbalanced. 9 of 10 setting for my output tubes on my CSP3 ~ volume at 60%. I then operate the Vega Pre at 62 to 92. Femto Exact clock in Mode 1 or 4.
ZMA at 90% of usable Volume.

Not surprising: with the -20db setting, that I prefer on my Decware ZDSD=maximum voltage output at around 9 or 10 volts according to Steve's written Copy on it. I have the CSP3 output tubes at 8 of 10 setting and the volume of CSP3 at 30% approximate. Then of course, Volume up or down is manual at the CSP3 knob when running the ZDSD. ZMA at same setting of 90%.

CSP3 Input Tube at 10 of 10 both halfs of course.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 08/21/15 at 16:42:37

1) I have to comment on the four Filter Modes. The time and research that went into these modes must have been exhaustive. Mode 1 and 4 are just exquisite. The FEMTO EXACT CLOCK LOCK ~ yeah WOW. Good luck PS Audio with any update you have planned or existing FROM SD Card!

2) The BUILD QUALITY. Built with the precision, like Nagra. If you're not familiar with Nagra....look them up.

PS Audio is shamed by this unit in sound and build. The plastic box that the PS DSD DAC comes in is embarrassing (for PS Audio).

The Vega is a steal at this price!

PS-I love my Power Plant 3 in build quality and power/sound. I would not be without it.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/21/15 at 17:04:40

I'm not sure what you mean about 4xDSD but I'm excited.

I just installed windows10 and using newest Vega driver, but maybe there is a new firmware update?!

Only problem is we need a software player that will do quad-DSD over DoP. I don't think JRIVER offers that yet?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 08/21/15 at 17:29:44

stone_of_tone wrote on 08/21/15 at 16:42:37:

PS Audio is shamed by this unit in sound and build. The plastic box that the PS DSD DAC comes in is embarrassing (for PS Audio).

I don't know why you feel you have to insult every other brand, but anyway the PS Audio DirectStream has a metal box with a wood lid.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 08/21/15 at 17:33:44

Yeah, exactly, do we need it. However, why not have it.

I have HW Version: 1.3
& SW Version 2.0

I was thumbing thru Stereophile and saw the ad/info: it reads-

Quad-Rate DSD comes to Vega & Aries
SAME HARDWARE, NEW SOFTWARE
Contact us to get your free update*

*VEGA units with SW version below 2.0 requests a factory firmware update to enable this function.

WOW!  Some hours on yours hifitubes!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 08/21/15 at 17:36:15

Lon, I'm not insulting anything. No more, than you telling me how many hours I need on something to know its sound quality. Hey wait a minute that is INSULTING!

OBJECTIVE FACT: The DSD Box is a piece of horse hockey compared to the Vega. Not debatable.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 08/21/15 at 17:38:59

Not to mention your pissing and moaning about the ZMA Power conditioning.  I'm still laughing about that.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 08/21/15 at 17:44:41

HifiTubes, I forgot to mention:

Free update period will end by 1st October 2015. Please contact support@auralic.com for detailed information.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 08/21/15 at 17:47:26

Back to Lon. Why are you so insecure and need to open your pie hole and defend things on threads you should not be on...if all you're going to do is defend like a child stomping his feet.

Fact: the chassis of the DSD DAC is crap.  End of story.

I owned one....you don't need to describe it to me.... . Maybe, your memory fails?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 08/21/15 at 17:49:04

Whatever Stone. The DS needs a lot more hours than you gave it. And I may have been wrong about the ZMA needing power conditioning, the other amps I have/had (Zen, Integrated, Toriis) all have been greatly improved by it.

Regardless of what you think I have not been insulting to you. But you seem to be involved in one big continuous pissing contest when you're not being a huge fan boy. Be sure to stay hydrated. Lon out.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 08/21/15 at 17:51:24

NO it does not....I had plenty of hours on it...... . Get a grip Lon. Now you're being a pompous ass!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #25 - 08/21/15 at 17:52:26

Once again, quit chiming in on every thread!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 08/21/15 at 17:53:37

Fanboy? IF we need to hear about the treble cut circuit one more time - you ass.

You have been insulting: I will dig it all up if you want?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 08/21/15 at 18:00:27

Whatever. Did you put 600 hours on the DS or more? It changed about three times in the first 600 hours. And yeah, I'm a fan boy too. That wasn't meant to be an insult.

I'm out, inclined never to respond to your spiels again. Just didn't want to let your comment about the non-existant plastic on the perfectly sound case of the DS to stand uncorrected.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #28 - 08/21/15 at 18:06:23

Once again, why are you ON THIS Thread?!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 08/21/15 at 18:47:19

I read the whole board when I have time on my hands, I'm interested in accurate information about many products. You made a mean-spirited inaccurate claim about the DS case being plastic. I corrected what you said. I'm allowed to read or appear on any thread.

Sorry don't mean to be as aggravating as it seems I am. I just find your style of pissing on other products to be really off-putting. I'll stay out of your thread the rest of the day.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #30 - 08/21/15 at 21:47:45

Again, you're churning out chatter just to have a last word I guess?

Again, why are you on this thread?

What part don't you understand?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 08/21/15 at 21:59:22

What you think you OWN this thread? My last post explained that I read the whole board, have a right just as we all do to post on any thread, and was a response to your post.

Sorry if I got out of line and upset you. Your aggressive manner upsets me, so I understand. See ya.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 08/21/15 at 22:20:36

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #33 - 08/21/15 at 22:29:27

Calm down boys!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 08/23/15 at 21:52:33

I have always liked the Vega DAC.  It is a very neutral, detailed DAC.  Some might say a little lean.  In my opinion, it had a very different sound versus early versions of the DS DAC (early firmware), but with the recent firmware updates for the DS DAC, the DS sounds every bit as detailed as the Vega.  I think a PP/Yale DS has surpassed the Vega in terms of detail, and it does this with an analog type flow, which has more meat on it than the Vega.  Whether this sounds good to you, in your system, is a matter of taste.

I find the pre-amp to be limiting on the Vega.  I also found the pre-amp to be limiting on the PSA Perfectwave DAC.  Basically, your usable volume is 85+ so you're not throwing away bits.  The pre-amp on the DS is not limited digitally, but it is not without issues.  If the max voltage output on the DS was 4V (vs. 1.4V via RCA), it would be an amazing DAC to run direct, but alas, it's not.

Lets be clear, at face value, the Vega costs a lot less than a DS ($3500 vs. $6000), and offers similar performance.  That said, I doubt most are paying retail for the DS, so when you factor in all of the discounts you can typically get on PSA gear, the pricing is closer ($3500 vs. $4000).  I could easily live with either of these DACs in my main system.  I do like that the DS is user upgradable and I know Ted isn't done with OS upgrades.  He has made great strides with this unit since the start.  It is a significantly better DAC (vs. launch) and it keeps getting better.  

To each their own....

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 08/24/15 at 14:35:28

85 to 100 is plenty on the Vega for usage.

An Active Preamp is a must. I agree whole heartedly with Srajan Ebaen from 6moons:

"Swapping in my new Nagra Jazz preamp in 0dB gain mode with the Vega back at 100 became decidedly more dimensional, billowy, fluid and embodied. This demonstrated in completely unambiguous terms how despite fancy numbers magic, a truly superior preamp still retained a very significant advantage. At even lower levels (-70 to -80dB) the contrast was painful. Going DAC-direct sounded stripped, stark and flat. Audible space and all its connective tissue had collapsed and all prior tonal and textural elegance abandoned. Whilst theory would beg to differ, the age of preamps hasn't expired yet".

I think the CSP3 is even one step better via voltage output adjustment and with my Master and Commander Input Tube (Telefunken~see signature~below).  Of course, cabling matters too. If you're not running the right combination of silver an copper. If you're running cheap horse hockey....then you would not have a clue about the Vega.

The fact that the case of the PS is cheap~still stands. I agree with you whole heartedly....if you paid more than 4k for the DS....you got suckered.  ;D Grin Grin

Listening Room:

~AURALiC Vega D/A processor~
1.5 MHz PCM....in Filter Mode 4 with FEMTO EXACT Clock in from Transport. She's a keeper!
Sometimes I use Filter Mode 1.....for flatter extended Treble.

(.....will be sometimes rotated in~great machine)

REL T5 SUB, Neutrik connection from ZMA
Auralex Subdude II

(Transport, Auralic Vega or ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/120 ~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 08/24/15 at 15:11:56

Stone…you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  

I don’t find the cases on either of these DAC’s to look cheap.  They are both quite attractive.  I like the brushed aluminum on the Vega.  I also like the textured, substantial metal case on the DS (as you know the DS weighs ~3X that of the Vega) and the glossy black top.  I prefer the silver vs. black PSA cases.

Also, I didn’t say that anyone who paid more than 4K for the DS got suckered (those are your words).  I was simply stating that one can often get PSA products at discounted prices (vs. MSRP), but you probably already knew this from purchase of your PowerPlant.  

Funny how the pendulum swings.  First it was the pre-amp was the ‘heart of the system’, then it was, ‘the best pre-amp is no pre-amp’, now we’re back to ‘the pre-amp brings meaningful benefits to the party’.  

Again, to each their own.  This is a highly subjective hobby.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 08/24/15 at 16:11:35

Yes, to each their own. Thanks for weighing in Dave. I really like the case of the DirectStream, and how it matches the PerfectWave Transport case. Having those two on shelves above and below each other, each on a PowerBase. . . love the look, and they are very substantial, well-built.

I've gone back and forth with the preamp and no preamp dilemna and I'm now solidly on the side of "no preamp." I love my CSP2+ with stepped attenuators and Jupiter caps, but with the Pike's Peak and now the current Yale Final OS in the DirectStream I prefer the DirectStream straight into the Torii and riding the gain between the stepped Torii stepped attenuator and the DirectStream output for most sources, though I do often just run the DirectStream straight in, full output. And my Denon universal player sounds best without the CS2+ now with my current interconnects, as does my ZP3, so I just alternate connecting those two to my second input on the Torii. A few years ago I would never imagine I would not be using my CSP2+.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #38 - 08/24/15 at 18:28:59

Yes, good rebuttal Dave. You did not throw a tantrum or stomp your feet like Lon. High Current Input on the ZMA Lon-not Regenerated?!   Grin Grin Grin ......an active preamp is a must~don't be delusional. You must have poor cabling in your System.

Anyway. I have my Decware ZDSD running PCM at 16/176....and like it better than my Vega!  More hours to go on the Vega though....... .

The ZDSD has a better overall musicality vs. the Vega. Steve's voicing of Cymbal's/decay/and once again overall musicality is very, very good.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 08/24/15 at 18:39:08

When I read the thread, I'm not the one I see with a tantrum. Have a nice day.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #40 - 08/24/15 at 18:40:01

Tongue Tongue Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #41 - 08/24/15 at 18:46:25

Do you really want me to pull up 15 other instances and quote them?

I can....let me know?!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 08/24/15 at 19:02:45

Stone…I agree with you regarding ZMA/power regen.  It doesn’t need it.  The only reason I have the ZMA plugged into the P5 is to protect it from surges.  I don’t notice any decrease in SQ when it is plugged directly into the wall.  

I currently have my P5 set on Sine, but I have been meaning to plug the ZMA into the wall and play around with Multi-Wave for my sources.  Many report liking MW in this regard.  If you haven’t tried different MW settings with the Vega, it might be worth experimenting.

My CKC on the other hand benefits significantly from regen and I think that is what Lon was saying (in his experience, Decware amps benefit from regen).  I think Lon is right, the majority of the Decware amps will benefit, but I also think the ZMA is unique.  At least that is what my experience tells me.

Does the CSP3 benefit from regen?

I haven’t heard the ZDSD, but I’m trying to negotiate a trip out to Peoria for Decfest this year.  That said, Steve definitely knows what he is doing and I have no doubt it’s a great front end.  

Keep us in the loop about Vega progression…  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #43 - 08/25/15 at 13:43:17

Yes, I feel my CSP3 benefits from regen and my ZDSD too. I will take my Vega off regen in the near future....to see/hear. Some don't like their DAC's on regen. I need to employ the MW on and off too. Right now I have it off.

The ZDSD is a great front end. What Steve is squeezing out of that architecture with his output stage is big league.

However, having A-B-A'd again....even this early in the process (42 hours on my Vega hours clock).....she is doing what I needed to hear....that/you can't walk away involvement. The ZDSD has it too....and for the money/run don't walk and buy the ZDSD. But, the Vega 42 hours in is delivery that extra "je ne sais quoi".....that does take PCM to.........this description:

"There could be another explanation for the short quality jump for the Vega from Redbook to DSD: the DAC itself. AURALiC’s Vega lends 16/44 source material a hi-res vibe. It’s as if one’s CDs have been dipped in DSD and/or coated in hi-res. No glare, no MSG but plenty of weight and spaciousness. There’s a graceful ease to its ability to trawl for detail.  Transients slice with sharpness and softness. Imagine using a sharper knife to cut an apple – this simple task feels easier, more graceful".

I'm heading out for a pair of LIVE Wire RCA(F) to XLR (F) at Guitar Center. Right now I'm running unbalanced. I need the adapters to fully use the ORFEO output stage from the Vega....and lower the noise floor even more.... .

My REL T5 and Subdude II, arrive tomorrow!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #44 - 08/25/15 at 15:46:24

Before I play around with XLR to RCA....Support at Auralic has received my email/they will respond.

Hello, can I use XLR female adapters out of my Vega to RCA female...then into my RCA/unbalanced Preamp? Essentially, I want to run XLR out of my Vega with my unbalanced cable.

Can I do that? Is their any benefit?

Or, am I shorting the grounds by doing this....causing damage to my Vega?

Am I using the ORFEO output stage with the unbalanced RCA out, already?

Thanks in Advance, Larry

Reading this scares me:

"Unfortunately, most XLR/RCA adaptors have pin 1 connected internally to pin 3. This is not a problem if used on XLR inputs on equipment, but on XLR outputs this "short circuit" grounds the pin 3 output and could, I suppose, cause damage to the active circuitry within your preamp. However, a lot of equipment utilizing XLR outputs may not have active signal on pin 3, but maybe just a resistor to ground".

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 08/25/15 at 15:52:27

You need some adapters with pin 3 floated so you can try the ORFEO stage.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #46 - 08/25/15 at 16:43:03

Cool, thanks hifitubes.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #47 - 08/25/15 at 17:59:03

Hifitubes, did you special order the adapters?

You mentioned:
you use some Cardas adapters with correct pin floated (3rd pin) so you can use the ORFEO output stage from the XLR outputs of the Vega to RCA Preamp or Amp.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #48 - 08/25/15 at 20:07:10

The Vega is pretty damn good running unbalanced!

But, I would be cheating myself if I did not run the ORFEO output stage from balanced.

I got the good word from Auralic support, to sever/cut pin 3 and I'm good to go on my Female XLR to Female RCA plug adapters.

Now off to Guitar Center to find ones I can open up from the set screw........ .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #49 - 08/26/15 at 05:40:37

Done! Pins 1 an 3 severed, crimped and clean. Pin 2 running out......glorious XLR TO RCA! The ORFEO output stage voiced from the NEVE 8078 ANALOG CONSOLE Design......wow! Now I know what the Vega can do.....she is staying put!

I must give a big shout out to Chris at Auralic Tech Support. Quick to answer my questions and make sure I was good to go to do my mod on the XLR Adapters. Thanks Chris!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3