03/29/24 at 12:30:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Planning a Stereo (Read 15575 times)
magnets
Verified Member

Planning a Stereo
07/21/15 at 06:36:07

Hello Decware Community! I've been a lurker on these forums and fan of the Decware brand/philosophy for a long time now, but this is my first post. I appreciate all the thoughtful opinions, insights and information that you all have written over the years.

I'm starting to get to the place in my life where it might be reasonable for me to invest in a stereo (and my wife is not entirely opposed!). As a consumer I try to buy products that will last me a lifetime and do what they're supposed to do really well. I don't like to upgrade, I like to do it right the first time. So I've been holding off on purchasing a stereo because I've pretty much drunk the Decware cool-aid... I am fairly convinced by all the testimony and information written about the products that they are what I want for myself. I just couldn't justify buying a set-up until recently. I am not an "audiophile", other than I just really like listening to good music and would like to improve that experience for me and my wife.

I've begun trying to plan out the kit I want to assemble. At this point I have a few questions that I can't figure out the answer to.

Here’s my plan:

I'm thinking about pairing the ZMA with the ERRx's. I don't have any vinyl so I was thinking about also getting the ZCD240 as a source. I like the idea of being able to change what's playing from my phone. Vinyl would be an option in the future, but I think I want to just get off the ground with digital.

1) The first question I have has to do with the best way to connect the source to the ZMA. I’ve seen a few posts on the forum now saying that the XLR input is the better option. The ZCD240 comes stock with balanced outputs which I don't believe are affected by the Decware modification. If I bought the ZCD240 as a source, would I want to connect it to the ZMA by the Decware RCA outs or by the stock XLR outs? If XLR is better, then would it be more sensible for me to buy a stock Tascam CD240 or similar source and get the XLR input upgrade on the ZMA?

2) Is the modification on the ZCD240 equivalent to running the stock RCA outs through a standalone preamp?

3) I live in an apartment now, but will be looking at buying a house in the future. I'm assuming that the ZMA paired with the ERRx will provide me with plenty of volume now and in the future? I like listening loud every now and again and to have that feeling of being enveloped in the music. However, loud music tends to get fatiguing for me pretty quickly so a lot of my listening is and will be at a moderate volume. I hope I’m not overestimating how much power I will want? Will a smaller amp soothe all but the most critical audiophile’s soul, or will I also appreciate the extra “oomph” that the ZMA delivers, even at lower listening volumes?

4) I don’t have a power conditioner. I was hoping that the ZMA would take in my city power and spit out good music. Is not having a power conditioner for my source going to negate any improved performance I might gain from the ZMA’s power conditioning circuitry, making it less of an advantage over something like the MKIV? What does a halfway decent power conditioner run?

5) Part of my reasoning for planning to buy the ERRx speakers is as a band-aid for my sonically deficient room(s). I will not be able to add very many acoustic treatments to any of the areas the system might end up in for now. I understand how big of an impact room treatment makes, I just don’t expect to be able to change too much in my apartment. Will I miss out on the “holographic” sound stage without treatments? Will these speakers be my best option as I’ve been concluding?

5) Another part of my reasoning for the ERRx is to increase the size of the “sweet spot” so that my wife and I can listen inside it simultaneously. Can I expect that there will be a sweet spot in my untreated rooms at all? Should I expect that my wife and I can occupy that sweet spot at the same time? I know the tweeters are directional, but I don’t know how that plays out practically.

6) How important are those reference speaker cables and interconnects anyway? The ZSTYX seem to be a pretty decent price relative to other reference level cables so that’s good. But do the cables really make a difference over just some decent but cheap speaker cable? Obviously there is a lot of debate out there. After reading around I just don’t know what to to think. Blind testing seems to show that most people can’t identify between expensive and cheap speaker cable. I’m kind of leaning toward the conclusion that speaker cables provides minimal difference in sound quality and really isn’t worth spending much money on. Can somebody tell me why that’s right or wrong?

Sorry about the length of that. Those are the important questions I had on my mind for now. Thank you in advance for any responses.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Re: Planning a Stereo
Reply #1 - 07/21/15 at 09:28:50

Welcome to the family! Every Decware gear I have owned has been a tremondous object of art, passion and music. I like your plan!

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/21/15 at 13:37:47

Others here have much more experience and I am sure will chime in.
This is just my opinion on the equipment and interconnect question.

Personally I would spend the vast majority of your early budget on the best electonics and speakers you desire.
Then add a decent set of interconnects/speaker cables with what is left over.
My reasoning is that the big expensive stuff is much more dificult to sell, pack and ship, IF you decide you didn't go high fidelity enough to start.
Better interconnects, power conditioning and such (tubes to roll included), to me, are something I can easily add or change out in the future without completely tearing down the system.
I am aslo at the age that my hearing does not allow me to pick up on some of the improvements that high end cables and tweaks may provide.
Good luck with your adventure!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/21/15 at 15:01:53

Welcome! I agree with core. I personally find significant differences between cabling and wire and power conditioning etc. but these are of secondary importance after you have the right components. So much to enjoy in the Decware line!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/15 at 15:02:58

I've tried twice to write a response and somehow lost it both times, so I'll be brief.  I think your thoughts on system building are solid.

I think my order would be:

1.  Amp
2.  Speakers that pair with amp
3.  Source - best I could afford, Decware amps can handle the very best
4.  Room treatments - sounds like not an option for you
5.  Power
6.  ICs

ZMA is a no brainer if you have the coin.  Consider Torii Jr if you don't.  It seems to have the Steve "holy sh*t" meter pegged.  I have heard XLRs and think they are better than RCAs.

I don't know the ERRx but they sound like the best choice for your situation.

Steve's CDP is a very flexible option.  A bit of an industrial look.  I control my mac from my phone and that is very handy.  Others who have tried his DS seem to really like it.  I do think playing off of SD card offers the best SQ.

Room treatments - with a solid foundation (above) I think this is the number one sound improvement option.  I know your situation is not conducive, but at least consider absorbers at the first reflection points. ERRx folks tell me if I am all wet here.  I don't know those speakers.

I have heard the ZMA on a $4k power regenerator and felt it gave it only a small lift.  I don't think you need power treatment out of the gate.  Get a decent power cord like a Pangea or Shunyata to start.  Also buy an industrial outlet like a Hubbel 5262.

Steve's ICs are quite good for the money.

Then I'd loop back through and tweak as I had time/money.

1. Tubes
2. ICs
3. Power

Room treatments would be #1 above, but again it does not sound like an option.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/21/15 at 15:44:04

Additionally, I would trust that Steve's "Decware Designed Output stage" in the ZCD240 would sound at least equal to the stock XLRs. Again, I have no personal listening experience with this.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 07/21/15 at 19:55:59

You're going to get lots of opinions on this - so you'll have to sift through a bit and pick out what makes sense to you. I will tell you how I see things today - but as I learn more, my opinions can change. I try to be open minded like that. Hopefully Steve will chime in as well!

#1 I really like the XLR inputs on the ZMA. They are expensive to add, but worth it. XLR (from a true balanced source) is less sensitive to cable choice (which is why recording studios can do long 30' or 50' runs of XLR with minimal loss). So right out of the gates you can get an inexpensive pair from Monoprice and have decent sound. That said, just this weekend I heard a $500 pair of XLR that did sound better than a $300 pair, so there are improvements to be had.

#2 I think only Steve can answer this - I'm not sure how many people have the combo and can compare head to head Steve's unbalanced output vs the stock XLR output. I've heard both at Decware and they both sounded good. I've asked Steve if i can borrow one of his modded units and compare, but he hasn't had any to spare yet - so I can't really answer.

#3 Like Palomino said, the ZMA is perfect if you can afford it. it does everything you need it to, and does it very consistently.  It's easier to have too much power and turn it down, then it is to have too little and want to turn it up. Besides, amps sound good when they can work effortlessly. If you're sure you want lower wattage, I'd also recommend the Torii Jr judging from Steve's raving. I'm hoping to get a listen to it myself soon.

#4 The big caps on the ZMA do 90% of what a good power conditioner can do. As Palomino said, I've got a rather expensive PS Audio P10 that cost more than I'd like to think about. The improvement on the ZMA was marginal. On other amps it was a noticeable improvement, but the ZMA has such a good power section - I see this as less necessary.

#5a I really like the Monoliths over the ERR, but that's just me. It's really personal preference. I have a very difficult room, and the HR1 I tried just didn't go holographic like I wanted them to. The ZMA will drive either one of these quite well, but if you go with a lower wattage amp, I think I'd recommend the Monoliths more - simply because it's direct radiating speakers seem louder and more dynamic than a radial projecting 360 degrees. With the ZMA you'll be more than fine with either (again, just my opinion - I'm sure others will balk at this)

#5b I agree with this quite a bit - point for the ERR

#6 I like to look to nature to help me explain some things in audio. There are all sorts of bits of nature that crop up; the golden ratio comes to mind. I think of cables like this - in nature there is something called the 80/20 ratio. Let's look at fruit and vegetable plants and trees - studies show that 20% of the plants grow 80% of the produce typically. I see cables the same way - you can spend 20% of the cost of high-price cables, and get 80% of their performance. So as long as your not buying complete crap, you'll be fine with decent cables. Steve's cables I think are a great example of an over-achiever of the 80/20 ratio - they have a good bang for the buck and can keep you satisfied for years.

You have some great questions - I hope I helped out some instead of muddying the waters. i can say your choice of ZMA is excellent. Everything after that, just get what suits you best in your budget. You'll still be miles ahead of the typical listener (and many audiophiles for that matter!)

Enjoy The Music!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/22/15 at 03:57:14

Magnets, I have the ZMA + ERRx + ZDSD from computer server. The ZDSD probably sounds sonically similiar to the ZCD240. I enjoy this setup in my living room very much and the sound is so good I haven't even bothered to try the ZDSD with balanced cables. I suppose curiosity will get me to try eventually. I also have a sonically deficient room and the ERRx seems handle this problem very well and the ERRx just do that certain something that no other speaker does. You can't go wrong with the ZMA, it's a keeper for life. You can always upgrade cables down the road. If you're ever in this part of the country stop by and have a listen.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
pineman
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/22/15 at 04:02:53

Lots of good advice here as always.

About a year ago I was faced with a similar decision (new system, no vinyl, not prepared to do a lot of room treatments, and looking for long-term purchase). I went with the ZMA, ERRx, and the CD player Steve was selling at the time (ZCD200i), along with zenstyx cables and silver ICs. I chose to include the XLRs, mostly to keep my options open in the future (I hadn't chosen a phono preamp yet). To be honest I have not used them yet, but I am planning to keep this amp for a long time. I don't have experience with power conditioners yet. As to power level, the ZMA will easily drive the ERRx's louder than I care to listen, yet the detail and clarity at low levels is extraordinary.  If I were to offer one piece of advice, it would be to go have a listen in person. For what you are likely to spend on a full system, the cost to visit Decware is probably justifiable, and you would learn a whole lot in the process.  I love the ERRx but there are many here who praise the monoliths and the HR-1s. The ERRx is unusual in the way it delivers reflected sound versus a direct front-firing system.  Ultimately it is only your ears which matter. As for cables, I am still fairly new to this hobby and haven't done much in the way of comparison. Steve's cables are more than adequate for me.

If you do wind up going with the ZMA+ERRx, believe what everyone says and give the system several months to break in.  I thought I was missing some low end slam and felt the need to add Steve's WO32 with a separate ss amplifier, but after 6 months I realized I probably didn't need it (although it's lots of fun when you want to turn up the volume).

I enjoy the way the ERRx throws a big soundstage and sounds great anywhere in the room. I have heard them both in the carpeted man cave and the wood-floored living room, and they just sound gorgeous.  

You can't really go wrong with this gear or this company. Enjoy the journey.

VPI Classic w/ Ortofon 2M Black, ZP3; PS Audio DSD & PST; ZMA, Zenstyx; Bösendorfer VC-7
  IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #9 - 07/22/15 at 15:46:32

I have a very VERY humble system but each item has taken years to be carefully broken in and voiced for the systems synergy and my own.  Allowing the units to mature is a big part of this and from my perspective part of the journy and fun.  My own system is anchored around an old SE84B with all current upgrades save the UFO. The above advice is very solid and reflects my own.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/23/15 at 03:40:43

Magnets.  You have really done your homework.  I think you have put together a great system.  I own both the ZMA and the CKC.  If I was forced to choose between the two (luckily I don’t have to), it would be the ZMA. The wattage/headroom, and immunity to power are the main reasons (the CKC really benefits from power regeneration in my system and with the ZMA it’s just not needed).  Both amps offer superb listening at lower levels, so while the ZMA is a beast it is also a beauty.  I like to refer to it as the Zen Musical Amplifier.

I have XLR inputs on my ZMA.   Among other things, I think usage of XLR vs RCA will depend on your DAC and the output voltage of the DAC.  What follows is my personal experience.  My previous DAC was a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and it was connected directly to the ZMA via RCA.  Don’t quote me on the numbers, but the DAC output ~4V via RCA (which is higher than most DAC's @ 2V).  I thought the DAC sounded great (good dynamics, punch, etc) when connected via RCA.  I also had good control of the volume on the amp (my preference was to control volume on the amp vs. the digital volume control on the DAC).  When I switched to XLR cables with this DAC, the output/input voltage was higher, which is generally the case for XLR outputs (vs. RCA).  The voltage via XLR was a little too high for my system.  For late night listening, I often couldn’t get the volume low enough on most recordings, so I had to use the volume control on my DAC.

That said, I am currently in a different situation with my PS Audio DirectStream DAC.  The voltage output is much lower via RCA (vs. the PW DAC) and I am in need of a little extra punch and dynamics, especially on recordings where little/no compression is used during mastering.  So, I will start with XLR and see where that takes me.  If that isn’t enough, I will try a pre-amp.

The reason studios use XLR vs. RCA is because of the noise rejection capability of XLR cables.  Studios use long runs of cable in a noisy environment and maximizing S/N is critical, so XLR is imperative.  If you plan to have your front end (DAC/Pre-amp, etc) far from the amp, don’t even think twice about XLR.

From my perspective, having XLR inputs on the amp adds flexibility.

Regarding room treatments, they do make a big difference.  I also live in an apartment and don’t have a dedicated room, but I do have a few treatments (and a tolerant wife).  There is at least one option to consider, which could be a fun project, especially if you are into art or photography. GIK has an option to turn your art (or other’s art) into room treatments. This option is only available for their standard absorption type products, but it’s at least a more aesthetically pleasing option to consider.  That said, bass is likely going to be the biggest issue and I don’t think they have art panel options for bass traps, but you could get creative.  Something to think about.

What type(s) of music do you listen to?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/23/15 at 09:04:14

Hi magnets ! So glad your research led you here amongst the Decware clan. Took me a lot of research and the same `one stop` aim for an amp. In my case it was the ZP3, which I thought would seal up my system. Ho, it led to a complete amp chain from Decware.
....and I can honestly say it`s all `one stop` gear. After around 2 years I`m ready for a little more, or just another.....what am I talking about, I`m just going to indulge a little more.
I know how planning is a buzz especially when you get close.
Syd.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #12 - 07/23/15 at 19:02:31

magnets,  great info being passed around. I have a dedicated room 11' x 16' so acoustic treatments and SE84CKC give me plenty of power listening in near-field sweet spot. If I were to go with a second system (downstairs living room/den 18' x 26') it would either be the new torii jr, or a ZMA with ERRx and Decware IC's and power cables (wife would not want panels on the walls. Your way ahead with where your starting! enjoy it!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
magnets
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 07/23/15 at 22:03:43

Thank you everybody for your replies so far! I've been reading and digesting the info you all have written.

I am now more convinced that I want to go with the ZMA. Deep inside I’m pretty sure it’s actually the sexiness of the big caps and the analogue gauges that my decision is truly based on, but I feel more comfortable with the other concerns I had. I think I would rather have the extra headroom for now and the flexibility to make changes to other parts of the setup in the future without coming up short on power. In that vein, I’m more convinced that I want to go with the XLR inputs on it too. I like the options it provides for better connections with more gear and future flexibility.

The extra money is certainly stretching the budget, but I’m trying to do this right. My wife agrees. “If we’re going to spend ten thousand f@$%ing dollars on a stereo, it’s probably best not to start being cheap now to save a few hundred dollars and regret it later.” - Her words, approximately.

One question that I still am hoping will be answered better is whether or not the stock balanced outs on the Tascom CD240 (that the Decware ZCD240 is built on) are approximately equal in signal quality to the “Decware Designed Output Stage” RCA outs on the ZCD240? It would be easier to swallow the XLR upgrade on the ZMA if I could save money by buying a significantly lower priced source without creating a weak link.

Based on @Ilance and @Pineman’s experience and testimony, I also feel better about the combination of the ZMA with the ERRx for my situation. I’m glad to hear that they will sound great in a living room. The description of the sound being different from normal speakers hasn’t really dissuaded me from thinking I will like them…I’m looking for a non-standard type of listening experience. I will certainly have to decide what I like with my own ears, but the descriptions of the laid back sound and expansive soundstage almost seem magical to me. Maybe that’s just Steve’s colorful writing inspiring my imagination, but I like the thought enough to want to try it. If anybody is near San Diego with this type of set up, I would be glad to have a listen.

After looking around, thinking about it, and discussing it with my wife, I think I might actually be able to introduce some room treatments in time. I have an out-of-the-way corner where a bass trap might fit - I don’t know if it will be ideal, but I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt. I also was looking at prime diffusor builds online, and the nice looking ones are a work of art in their own right! Well, it just so happens that I need a large and good looking piece of art for the plain wall above the back of my sofa… If I could build a ~3’x~8’ prime diffusor in a weekend it would fit about perfectly above the sofa, have a nice abstract art look to it, and be much cheaper than similar sized art. I might even be able to squeeze in some sound absorption in hidden/out of the way places.

Maybe something like these are what I’m thinking:
oliverprime.com/prd/images/diffuser_miguelbanos.jpg
images.blu-ray.com/htgallery/63546.jpg

I’m still also hoping for an opinion/experience on if the Tascam CD240 with a good RCA preamp is about equivalent to Decware ZCD240 RCA outs?

Does the ZMA come with a stock power cable? I read that it did in the Tone review, but I don’t see mention of it on the product page.

The final questions I would still like some more feedback on are regarding what cables you would recommend? I’m looking to spend the money on the parts that really matter. I can make some minor upgrades later, but don’t want to change the big stuff out very much. I’m asking about all cables: speaker cables, IC’s, XLR, and power cables. What would be appropriate for this system without buying into the industry hype and marketing department voodoo science but also not compromising true sound quality? Are the Decware speaker cables a good value or are even they overkill/comparable to some $20 cables? I don’t mean to be insulting, I just really don’t know and don’t want to waste money. This is where I feel the most unsure about the value of the Decware components. @Lon, you said you notice a difference for sure. Can you elaborate on where you see value in cables?

@Palomino - I hate losing my work when I press publish! I’ve developed some tricks to prevent that sinking feeling. I compose most posts in a text editor and copy-paste into the browser when I want to publish. If I don’t do that, I at least highlight all of my post and copy it before pressing publish. That way I can hit paste and recover what I wrote if it get’s lost. Thanks for being committed to getting it published! I appreciated reading what you wrote.

@Dave1210 - You asked what type of music I like. The music that rubs me the right way seems to vary depending on my mood, the season, and the year. But I tend to most regularly listen to alternative, folk-rock, indi-rock, and singer-songwriter type stuff. Some favorite bands (in alphabetical order as I scan my library) are: Anthony D’Amato, The Avett Brothers, Bright Eyes (but my wife hates them for some reason), Blitzen Trapper, The Cerny Brothers, Fun, Gregory Alan Isakov, The Head and the Heart, The Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Passenger, Pink Floyd, and The Tallest Man on Earth. I also have a large place in my heart for classic rock, chamber/ensemble/symphony music, world, and every once in a while pop and electronic/EDM. I’m sure there is more I’m forgetting, but that’s an outline.

I’d appreciate it if you could update me on how the XLR test goes. That sounds like just the real world situation and application I would want them on the ZMA for.

@Syd - I’ve been a fan of Decware and Steve’s writings since I was in High school in the early 2000’s. I don’t remember how I found the website but I’m glad I did. I’ve been waiting since then for the day I could actually justify some Decware gear. I remember having my imagination captured as a young teenage boy reading about sub horns that would cause mice to stumble out of the walls and die… I wanted one sooo bad. My parent’s weren’t impressed. Planning is definitely a buzz. I do have to catch myself sometimes and force myself to take a step back and stop thinking about it, or stop talking about it, or to get some actual work done.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #14 - 07/23/15 at 22:24:36

Persian rugs etc. on a walls/floors will also go a long way to help with acoustic treatments...Anything is better than nothing.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/23/15 at 22:36:39

I wasn't able to bring up the diffuser image.  I would say building one in a weekend could be done if you are handy.  Precision cutting is the key.  I have a table saw, but had my diffuser wood cut at a place that does precision cuts for $1 each.  Well worth it.  Also, use good wood.

I had Signal Cable interconnects.  They were fairly well regarded for sub $100.  I upgraded to Decware Silver ICs and found an immediate, substantial improvement.

Steve's stuff is designed to work together.  Save yourself a lot of turmoil and start out with the ICs he offers.  Everybody has their favorite ICs and you can drive yourself crazy.  Just my .02.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 07/24/15 at 12:09:10

Good decision I think regarding the ZMA. I can't comment on the "XLR vs. Steve's output section RCAs" except to say I suspect that Steve's output section will sound significantly better, and that would be the reason to buy the ZDSD in my opinion. Having the XLRs would be a benefit for another DAC but the ZBIT may be needed to make the XLR superior with the ZDSD.

Cabling is a very difficult issue. I've tried a number of brands over the years. The Decware is a good start, but you can do better. . . at a cost! I ended up with VooDoo Cable interconnects after years of Decware interconnects. . . and worked my way up their line to the top and am ecstatically happy with them. As I've downsized the number of my systems I have sets of their mid-line or so cables that will go on sale soon. Still there are many brands to try and it's a daunting task to figure out what you like. Power cords I've decided on PS Audio PerfectWave after a lot of experimentation though the Decware cords are also quite good, as are Analysis Plus. So many options. . .Not easy to know where to start. Speaker cables I was in love with the Styx til I tried Mapleshade Double Helix Plus and I've stopped there, happily.

I think you're going about this quite logically and you're lucky to have the support of your wife! You're going to end up with great sound and missing a lot of the interim stages many of us go through.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/27/15 at 23:40:00

Magnets, I am listening to my all Decware system at the moment and I can't emphasize enough how good it sounds. With the ZMA you have a world class amp and the ERRx speakers love my screwed up living room. I put my Janszens in the living room when I first got them and I was not happy at all. I ended up cleaning out a spare bedroom (dedicated stereo) for them and now they really sounds great. In fact I tried Monitor Audio GX300 Gold, Polk LSiM703, Golden Ear Triton 2, Janszen zA2.1 and 20 some year old Definitive BP10's. The ERRx's win. I'm not saying they're better overall than those other speakers because the Janszen's are killer but the impact of the room on the speakers performance is huge. You won't need any room treatments.

My ZMA has balanced inputs so I hope to find some time to try the XLR connections on the ZDSD and report back. I'm curious to see how much better Steve's Mod is. I have my computer feeding the ZDSD and controlling Jriver from my iPad app. Hi end audio for the lazy man.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #18 - 07/29/15 at 18:57:32

ZMA rocks.  You will love it.  However I think your priorities are backwards.  Get the house first because you will want to crank it up!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #19 - 07/30/15 at 17:49:33

Hey Magnets,  Stone has Zstyx 10' spkr cables for sale in the classifieds. Might be a good fit for your future system!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #20 - 07/30/15 at 22:42:36

Magnets, correction:   Stone has spkr cables in classifieds, but not ZStyx. but, there are Zstyx posted in classifieds as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print