03/28/24 at 23:38:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
superzenUFO (Read 21991 times)
jameskk
Seasoned Member

superzenUFO
06/20/15 at 15:45:13

Now the super zen UFO, the only comment I can make on this  is that if your going to improve an amp the transformers are the best and maybe only way . or no transformers at all. I don't know about anyone else , but my superzen sounds reeeeeeeeally good. Wonder what % improvement we are talking about . Anyone?

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Re: superzenUFO
Reply #1 - 06/20/15 at 20:03:15

Hi jameskk,

I recently picked up a UFO Zen and have posted some thoughts about it in the Decware ufo mod thread over on the general discussion forum.  I'm very pleased with it.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/15 at 23:05:43

more importantly how good are omegas with this amp

IP Logged
Tube-aholic
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/05/16 at 10:55:33

I've had my UFO since December any have a couple hundred hours on it. All I can say is this amp sounds amazing with my Bushhorn Mkll's. I am planning to build the A166 Ron Clark horns because they are more efficient (94db vs 90db) and I should get more everything out of them. Kudos to you Mr Deckert.  :)

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/28/16 at 01:16:10

is there anyone out there that has both CKC and UFO zen amps  to do a comparison , I ve been tempted to buy a UFO to do this?????

IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/28/16 at 01:34:00

I actually bought my UFO and received it back in October 2015.  I was super busy with work and now almost a year later I finally unboxed it a couple weeks ago.  This is my first decware product.  Although I have  been looking at decware gear for along time.  

I have always had mid-fi gear and always felt I did not get the kind of results I thought I would get for the money I spent, Basically chasing my tail.  I like to listen to all kinds of music... classical, metal, blues,60 and 70's rock, bluegrass, acoustic everything.... When I listen, I love listening to all the little things happening in the background, my mid-fi gear was never able to produce the little things.  I even bought a pair of high dollar B&W 703 speakers 2800.00 or 3000.00 retail I don't remember.  I have had them for 8 years and thought they would change the music for me.  They did not make a difference in the mid-fi system.  Never really liked the speakers and put them in the closet 2 or 3 years ago.  

When I set up the zenUFO I hooked some open baffles up thinking I had to have fullrange drivers with the highest efficiency possible for 2 WATTS to do anything!!  The open baffles and zenufo were amazing and opened my eyes to a new world, but my room was not conducive for getting bass out of the OB's.  So on a whim I hooked up the b&w 703 speakers (90db@283volts) to the zenUFO  HOLYSHIT!! I did not realize that these could actually sound good.  2 WATTS of decware made these speakers produce the little things and stereo image I have been chasing all these years!! and its happening with a 200.00 dollar CD player in a less then ideal room with very little burn in!! Cant wait to crossover a 100 hrs! and see what happens!! I WILL BE BUYING MORE DECWARE AND CANT WAIT TO GET MY NEXT COMPONENT FROM STEVE!!  THANK YOU DECWARE!!

IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/28/16 at 02:10:51

Also I want to say thank you to the rest of the team.  They are always so nice and patient when I call to harass with tons of questions.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 08/29/16 at 03:56:26

Thanks for posting your story! It warms my heart because that's how I started out with the Zen Triode's first prototypes back in the mid 1990's. I simply connected them to my collection of regular hifi speakers which averaged about 88dB.  Some were lower and actually played louder than those that were higher... so I found myself connecting the little Zen to every hifi speaker I could find and hearing how good they actually could be.

Sure, it didn't get real loud, but the way the speakers would disappear and the way the sound stage went miles deep made it possible to pull the speakers up close to the listening position and point them directly at my head! Instead of hearing sound up in your face, you heard it WAY behind the speakers which is what makes near-field listening not only possible, but so enjoyable.

There are very few speakers in the world that a Zen amp can't drive and do a damn surprising job in a late night near-field arrangement, which is by far the deepest way to listen.  Near-field, and at Night.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 08/29/16 at 04:10:19

... Expanding on the above - relating to the Zen amp's ability to drive hard loads...  Had a gentleman come over to the shop with a pair of large Magnepans and his third expensive high power solid state amp. In his house the speakers have no bass and now on his third amp with the same results I told him to bring the stuff over to see if room acoustics was his problem. We set up the speakers with his amp and there was little bass, and you had to turn it up to a fair level to find it. Discouraged he concluded that there must be something wrong with the speakers, so I said "Let's find out" and got a 2 watt Zen amp and hooked it up. You can imagine the questions...  I turned  the amp on and slowly brought up the volume to it's max limit without distortion which got the speakers to a nice conversational / background level of volume with great bass. The gentleman was astounded claiming it was the first time he ever heard bass come out of the speakers and was perplexed at how good it was... then the reality hit him that it was a 2 watt amp that just spanked his 400 watt 3rd time's not always a charm amp.

Ahh... the early days Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/29/16 at 15:12:15

For now just like Steve mentioned, I have my B&w 703's set up in a near field triangle with the speakers toed in so they point directly at my ears. In this configuration I am getting a fantastic transparent late night musical escape.  I am doing all this while the rest of the house is getting ready for bed or sleeping. When possible or when the house is empty, believe it or not I am getting some decent volume before things start to distort or clip.  Part of this has to do with a small listening room, none the less I am having a blast with the SuperzenUFO!!

I am very very happy with current setup and will be enjoying it until curiosity gets the best of me.  At that point I will probably get some Decware speakers just because I want a pair. Probably the 947monoliths.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 08/29/16 at 16:19:20

Glad to read this Tinman. I did exactly as you have described for almost 13 years (May of 2001, until January of 2014.....when I got my ZMA). See my original signature below.

The moral of the story is....I could still happily live with the System below (original signature). However, I was fortunate to get a ZMA in 2014 and experiment with front ends, cables etc....the last 3 years to now have my dream System.

However, once again, I could happily live with a new UFO 2watt Zen again. I have an interest in the new Mono's (tube regulated)....they probably will be coming in here..... .    Enjoy your Super Zen UFO.....you know!

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryo Pair~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

NOS Platinum Tube Rotations in my ZMA,

(matched pairs/from Upscale Audio/Kevin):

(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair
(Russian) Cryoset 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair  

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 08/29/16 at 16:44:16

Quick footnote: I can remember like it was yesterday, calling Steve in early May of 2001 from work.....he had Larry & Lee playing in the background from his Maggies hanging from the ceiling..... .

I was dissatisfied.....with my Listening experience....solid state and some decent stuff.

....Steve on the phone told me what to expect and at roughly what volume. Well, like you mentioned tinman.....the volume exceeded expectations....when you wanted to go there.....and in the sweet spot volume SPL.....THE REST IS HISTORY.....it took me a good couple of weeks to wrap my brain around it and scrape my tongue off the floor.

Enjoy!   PS - I helped raise four children....two in college now....the little Zen/had me longing for nothing else..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 09/01/16 at 23:29:01

has anyone done dual mono with this little bad ass amp.  For what you get the price is amazing..  and I can't stop thinking about a dual mono setup.  Plus I have always wanted dual mono, but always thought it would be out of my reach financially.  I just love how transparent this amp is.  and curiosity is bubbling up!!  and I was thinking if I wanted to do dual mono, its best to do it before I have a ton of burn in on my current superzenUFO...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 09/04/16 at 17:41:22

Hi Tinman. Dual mono and past consensus on the Forum here.... When you strap them... You lose some transparency. However, consider the new UFO3's mono that are coming and you get tube regulation too....separate power supplies....Steve's expertise to the nth degree.
I'm buying a pair.... . ZMA and UFO 3's will be all I will ever need to own in Amplification.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #14 - 09/04/16 at 19:14:43

If you're seeking more power and to keep the transparency....then the UFO Rachel or Torii Jr., would be the ticket on budget and sell your current UFO.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/06/16 at 10:12:11

Any comments on the bass response of these amps?  Unless matched with the most proper speakers, SET designs can be a bit bass-shy in my humble experience.  But the mid-ranges are to die for, of course...

In comparison to the previous versions of SE84, do the UFO transformers improve the bass?  Any comments would be highly appreciated...

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 09/06/16 at 22:00:12

Ordered the Torii Jr. about 3 or 4 weeks ago... can't wait!!  but I am not selling the superzen UFO, it will continue to be used.  what is the UFO3's you speak of?  

Stone what is the general consensus on bi-wiring vs. the factory binding posts?

In response to the bass question.  The superzenUFO seems to have good enough bass for my listening levels in a small listening room.  I definitely do not feel like I missing out on any of the music.  I listen to all kinds of music and one my favorite albums is TOOL 10,000 days.  I feel this amp handles the bass on that album really well.   I have never had the older model so I can not comment on that.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 09/07/16 at 16:57:24

Good call Tinman. I think you are going to enjoy the power of the Torii Jr. providing SET sound. Yes, keep your superzen UFO. I sold my Select #76 (see original signature below) and my superzen. Now, I want it back!

The best of both world's is not cliche' here. Power and SET sound with my ZMA and pentodes run in triode again/low power, with either a UFO Rachel or the new Mono's....I have not decided.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1471401401

I did bi-wire way back with my Polk's ....double binding posts with two runs of 8TC. However, once I got my KS3033....I used the 9033 jumper's to low pass and never looked back. DO replace the the cheap tin jumper's on your B&W's with good wire to jump....if you have not already.

Alper, far as bass is concerned....Steve's designs are not bass shy....when run in the proper range in the right size room for SPL's and treated.

Tinman, we will have the best of both world's ~ high and low power of Steve's awesome Amps.

Consider, modifying your B&W's. I modded my Acoustic Zen Adagio's and kept the original X-over's of course to reinstall if I was not pleased....I'm very pleased with the mod for a year and a half running!

Did you get that crackle found?

Listening Room

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryo Pair~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 20% to 30-40% max ~ from 0 Gain

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

NOS Platinum Tube Rotations in my ZMA

(matched pairs/from Upscale Audio/Kevin)

(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair
(Russian) Cryoset 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair    

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 10/04/16 at 02:24:26

Stone, I did find the crackle it was just the output tube, I had some extras laying around.  swapped it out crackle disappeared instantly.

I am all about tweaking, what kind of tweak could I do to my 703?  and yes I replaced the factory jumpers, I have never even used them.  I always strip my wire long and run it through both binding post, I figure that is better then the factory jumper.  PM me about modding my 703 I am definitely curious!!!

Even though I have the 2watt and the jr., I still want to someday have the 3 watt mono blocks.  Wife is going to let me convert my third bay to a dedicated listing room, I have always wanted corner horns with some bad ass low watt power.   Beauty of corner horns is you can have multiple speakers set up to play with.  Pull you standard speakers out into the room and then have the corner horns tucked away almost out sight out of mind.  Hopefully some day soon.  

cheers

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/22/16 at 18:01:37

Quote:
Any comments on the bass response of these amps?  Unless matched with the most proper speakers, SET designs can be a bit bass-shy in my humble experience.  But the mid-ranges are to die for, of course...

In comparison to the previous versions of SE84, do the UFO transformers improve the bass?  Any comments would be highly appreciated...

Best,

Alper

I currently have the SE84 Select and a Super Zen for several years that was upgraded to UFO status last year. I have Omega Super Alnico Monitors (single driver no crossover).

I clearly remember hooking up the Super Zen and immediately thinking this was a noticeable step up compared to my older Select. Had the Super Zen upgraded to UFO thinking it might not be worth the money. UFO mod is a noticeable improvement right out of the box compared to the stock Super Zen.

Each upgrade improved extension, separation and clarity at both extremes of the frequency range. Some of the best / cleanest Low Frequencies that I've been able to achieve.

There is a difference between Bass Quality and Bass Quantity. The UFO will not lack in Bass Quality but for some Rock & Rollers they may want more Quantity which will require a Sub. I don't fault the UFO for this however. Adding a sub has more to do with acoustics and / or your personal taste in music.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Tinman96
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 10/25/16 at 18:33:06

well said DBC, there is definitely a diff between quantity and quality when discussing base. I have no older models to compare with, but I feel the superzen has excellent base quaility.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print