Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 01:34:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
May Month-End CDApS Meeting (Read 7205 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

May Month-End CDApS Meeting
05/31/15 at 23:51:35

Well, we had quite an interesting CDApS meeting today.  Raven, Rob and newest member Jason (vintage Zen owner) met at my place.

Today, we cycled through 4 amps, starting with my black top, beeswax capped Rachael, then ProggRob's black top, beeswax capped Zen, then my white top, VCapped Torii 3 and for the grand finale, Raven's honking red-cap ZMA.

Each amp was fully warmed up as we had a bullpen with each amp plugged in (and small 8 ohm speakers attached) for a minimum of about 30 minutes before any amp was put on-stage (Raven, insert picture here).

I will let Raven and Rob (maybe Jason) provide more details, but each amps strengths and weaknesses were clearly apparent.  We also did a digital coax comparo which provided some interesting results.

We ran my Western Electric vintage wire throughout the afternoon.  We did not do any comparison, but I believe all agreed that it sounded good.

More later, but I wanted to kick the thread off.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: May Month-End CDApS Meeting
Reply #1 - 06/01/15 at 18:20:04

Please see ProggRob's thread: CDApS Meeting - 5/31/15.  I didn't see it before I posted.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 06/24/15 at 12:45:31

Seems as if the CDApS crew is on tour or cooking something, as I have not read anything from them lately ...  :)  I expect new insights from them soon, though.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 06/24/15 at 21:49:22

Palomino sails over the summer so is away on the weekends. I can't afford any new gear or room improvements/treatmens, and there is some...turmoil going on at the Raven house. I'm not sure what's up with ProggRob - I've not heard much from him lately. We were talking about taking his CKCS down to Steve for some UFO action, but I've not heard anything since.

I have a friend, screen name Jester, who has been making regular visits to my place for movies and listening sessions. Like me, he has one of the original 100 Zen amps, and my old Polk LS-70 (heavily modded) speakers. We've sworn him in as an orgiginal member - but he's not as serious as we are about rooms and gear. In fact, I had to borrow a little Schiit DAC from Rob, and setup Jester with a laptop and Foobar2000 to try to entice him into the 21st century of music playback (which is funny, because he's pretty much a genius, geek, and programmer).

I'm hoping to lure him into the forums, but he is "just too busy".

Once things settle down at my place, and I figure out what I'm doing as a recent bachelor, things might kick up a notch at my place. I'll still be broke, but I'll have a lot more room to work with in a half-empty house! LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 06/24/15 at 22:01:15

I'm sorry to hear that, LR. I know, I've been there a few times myself. Heck, I'm currently at that stage right now! But, don't you worry about a thing. If it's worth it, it will be fixed. If not, it would not matter anyway! So, cheer up and crank up that music!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/15 at 12:03:33

Once I got my room pretty well set, I have not been doing much beyond listening.  Really enjoying the show.  I have not sailed once yet this summer.  Missed three regattas.  Cold here, plus spending more family time now that the second wave has hit their teen years.

I have made up another set of those Belden interconnects.  I like them a lot.  I also bought some more of that WE 1g wire for my next boombox build.  Now that I know what I'm doing, I am going to use premium parts all the way.

I also recently bought a used Illuminati D60 (per Stone's suggestion).  I am still trying to dial in the Torii back in again to sound the best with this coax, but its a pretty sizeable increase in detail over the Stereovox.  Stereovox will go to the cottage system next week.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/25/15 at 12:54:44

Isn't it amazing how much difference a cable can make?

Glad you are spending time with your family. There really is nothing more important than spending time with those we love. I'm so glad I got to spend my Mom's final years taking care of her, and share that experience with Dad. And I long to spend more time with my fiancee Lucy, which in six weeks will finally be a reality. YES, music and sound reproduction are very important to me but the people in my life. . . I've learned how valuable they are when I lost a few (wife, Mom, great friend), and I'm enjoying the time I have with those that I have.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/25/15 at 14:07:07

It really can make a difference.

I know I am preaching to the choir Lon, but I have to say I am glad I have the Torii III.  Tailoring it to whatever new item you introduce into the system is pretty easy.  Rachaell is more plug n play, but you can get some amazing sound with a little effort on the Torii.

For example, this cable gives the music more presence.  Using my old settings, it was a bit annoying.  It was fine for the Stereovox but with the D60 just a little bit much. 1/8  turn on the Torii treble shunt and I now have more detail but not the negative.

But, this cable delivers more bass too which excites the trouble frequency in my room on some songs.  I don't want to turn down the Torii any more on the bass control because it takes away too much from the lower midrange.  The music lacks body.  So I will be trying some other things.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 06/25/15 at 15:01:32

My oldest daughter, whom is now 22, was born with CP. She has been in our care all her life. She is in assisted living during the day and then home with my incredible ex-wife-everyday (and I do mean an incredible women she is). PCA's (Personal Care Attendants), also help.
She is a wonderful girl and I love her dearly.

Hang in there LR, it gets better. I've been divorced 4 years now. It damn near destroyed me. I'm with a new gal now. I will always love Linda my Ex....... .

My son, now 19.....was born. We did not know what normal was. Joe started reading the Newspaper at 3 years old. He is now at Stanford.

My 2nd daughter, is my Soccer Star and honor student. Starts college in the fall at a private local University.

My 3rd daughter, is going into 10th grade....and is the Dancer. Excellent student too with honor's.

My mom at 75 has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I talk on the phone with her as much as I can and visit Texas as often as I can.

My Dad 76, tough bastard, needs two knee replacements. One this year he will have done then the other in 16'. They are currently in Upstate New York and then to Canada (Montreal & Quebec), to visit relatives while my mom can still remember...... .

Pal, glad to hear more about the Illuminati D-60. Adjust her in and you're set. The D-60 is my favorite.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/25/15 at 16:04:47

Larry, sorry to hear about your daughter. My best friend in Texas has CP and has struggled all his life to be fiercely independent despite pain and risk. He gets around barely with a cane and sometimes a walker. He endured numerous operations and probably enough time in the hospital to amount to years when he was very young having operations which have allowed him to do so. He's gotten a college degree, been full-time employed ever since, is also an avant garde trumpeter and has performed in several states and several European countries. But now he's 56 and it's harder and more painful month by month. I have another jazz pen pal who has CP and he's a real trooper as well. Brave and persistent people!

Pal, yes, thank GOD and Steve for the flexibility of the Torii Mk III!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print