Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 23:36:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oppo Headphones question (Read 16615 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Oppo Headphones question
04/07/15 at 14:03:31

Okay: background: I used to use headphones a lot as I used to record the bands I played in in the 'eighties, and I used to monitor the sound of several other bands live, and record demos for a few bands as well, all basic analog portable taping with headphone monitoring and evaluating.

I got royally sick of using headphones after those three years or so and I never caught on to the portable audio thing in part because of the headphone usage. I think I probably kept a good portion of my hearing as a result as I used to listen to them louder than I should.

The future for me is making me think of changes in my audio habits. I will be moving in with Lucy in her little house near the woods and I'll have room for one big system, which will of course be my main system, and I'll have a little room as storage area for part of my collection and I could probably get permission to squeeze a second system in there. . . but I'm not interested in listening to speakers in a tiny room any longer, been there, done that. So I'm thinking my recliner and a headphone would be a better "escape into audio" option for me. I have three CSP2+ pre ams (two with Jupiter caps) so I am sure I can have one by a recliner, could use either of my excellent SACD players to feed that or my PWT/PWD Mk 2 combo, or could use one option upstairs in the bedroom as well, will have a Power Plant Premier I could use, as well as a PS Audio Dectet for another headphone station in the bedroom perhaps. So. . . what I don't have right ready on hand are headphones.

A buddy of mine who works in the film industry and uses headphones a lot bought a pair of the new Oppo PM-1 planar magnetic headphones and loves them. He got me thinking about them and reading reviews and they sound as if they might be a good fit for my listening material and listening ears. Comes with good accessories. And the price is right, I could sell a few things and get them.

So I'm putting the question out to you headphone user/fellow Decwarians: any experience with the Oppos or second hand knowledge of them? Any idea whether they would match well with a CSP2+? Thanks for your help.

Nominal Impedance      32 Ohm
Sensitivity      102 dB in 1 mW

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-1/headphones-PM-1-Overview.aspx

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Oppo Headphones question
Reply #1 - 04/07/15 at 14:25:03

Lon,  I think you could really get to enjoy headphone listening.  When I wanted to get back into Hi Fi again, I read all that Steve wrote about the Taboo MK III.  The idea of getting great sound without the bother of speaker setup or room treatment appealed to me.  So I made my first Decware purchase, the Taboo MK III.  Long before it arrived I purchased a pair of Audeze LCD 2 headphones and listened with some old equipment I had. I also later bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 800.  You wouldn't like those...too bright but you would really like the Audeze Headphones...nice and warm, very forgiving of poor recordings.  I think you should look into them.  I haven't heard the LCD 3s or all the models Audeze subsequently has released.  I think mine were about a $1000 direct from Audeze.  I have to run but consider them before you decide.  I love them although I now prefer speaker listening as you do.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/07/15 at 14:28:51

Thanks Mark. Well, I've looked at those. Two reviews of the Oppo seemed to prefer the Oppo to the LCD-2s in neutrality and comfort.(I think neutrality is key for me and my recordings). And I like that the Oppo comes with an OCC cord--OCC wire has really been what I have found I like best in cabling. I'll keep looking into other models, but overall I think the Oppo is pulling ahead in my targets.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/15 at 17:42:23

Lon,
Another pair of headphones to consider are the Fostex T50RP ortho headphones. There are a few companies that modify them to the next level. I have a modified pair that I think are better than the LCD-2s. The downside is the pair I have was modified by a person that does not do the work anymore.
Besides that if the Oppo are 32 ohm you need to get the Taboo MKIII to have them come alive. The CSP2+ is great for higher ohm headphones, I think it is 300-600 ohm. The Taboo is for lower ohm headphones and also is available with different connector and output options. I have the option with two phono jacks and two 4 pin XLR jacks.
I think Steve mentioned the ultimate setup would be the CSP2+ in front of the Taboo.
The Taboo is a great headphone amp, I listen to mine about 6+ hours each day at work.
John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/07/15 at 17:55:56

Thanks DK.

There is no way I am buying another amp!

From what I was reading on this forum I think the CSP2+ might work with the Oppos but appreciate your pointing that out. (The CSP3 page shows 32 ohms to 300 ohms being the range for that preamp). I've just been taken by the reveiws I've read of the Oppos and the endoresement from a set of ears I trust. I'm just at the beginning of my headphone hunt so appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 04/09/15 at 01:58:07

I decided to order the Oppo PM-1s. I wanted to try a planar magnetic, and the recommendation from my bud meant a lot to me, he's been through a lot of 'phones and stopped there.

The Audeze seem to be the ones that are most competitive and I fond this review from someone who I seem to agree with on things audio to be helpful:'

As far as the PM-1 vis a vis the LCD-2, I sold my LCD-2 after I received the production PM-1. Really, I liked every aspect about the PM-1's sound better. The LCD-2 had a very open sound, with a wide and deep soundstage similar to the PM-1, but with a "grittier" midrange . I enjoyed the PM-1's smoothness. It did everything that the LCD-2 did "right," but in a more relaxed, more forgiving fashion. Plus, the imaging through the PM-1 presented a sound field which was localized just right behind the back of my eyeballs, while music emanated from the LCD-2 square in the middle of my head, between my ears. A subtle difference, but one that I enjoyed more.

So I decided to go for them where I have 60 days to review.  I ordered the PM-1s. Will probably have them early next week.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 04/11/15 at 01:44:03

Got the PM-1s in this afternoon. Beautiful headphones, really really comfortable. Sound nice and smooth so far. I bet they perk up with some hours.

I was all set to plug them in right away, then realized that the CSP2+ I was using in the main system was one I had made without a headphone jack! I popped in the other one I had in the house which does have a headphone jack, but it doesn't have the beeswax caps and though it sounds really good with the headphones i could hear the difference right away with the speakers. So I swapped that one out with the CSP2+ I was using at Dad's--that has a headphone jack and beeswax caps. Just got to listen briefly but sounded really good. I'll be putting hours on these happily.

There are two additional sets of ear pads, an alternate lambskin pair and a velour pair. From reading reviews I figure I'll like the ones that they have on now, the standard leather, most so I'm going to break them in with those. The cable is very nice, fabric covered, feels really nice.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/11/15 at 02:14:20

Good to hear Lon. I hope you will keep us informed as they work in.

Thanks,

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/12/15 at 21:32:41

I've run these continuously since I received them. They've changed a bit since then, becoming more overtly dynamic and with a bit more bass.

Overall these appear very accurate, not at all harsh, with a quick and detailed bass. I don't have other modern headphones to compare them to. . . but I am glad I chose these. Probably will be keeping them and enjoying them for some time to come. Build quality is excellent.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/15/15 at 16:06:51

More than one hundred hours on these now and they are a different headphone than when they first arrived--in good ways.

Nicely dynamic, a very comfortable tonal balance, detailed but not analytical. These are fun to listen to. I'll be keeping them.

The CSP2+ drives them quite well. There's plenty of more clicks on the volume but I'll never go higher than where I am, and I have the output only at about half way on those controls. They seem basically neutral and natural and revealing. Interestingly most reviews seem to agree, with a small amount of reviews saying they are harsh and thin, and another small number of reviews saying they are thick and slow and the highs are recessed! I think that means they are revealing the nature of the reviewers' systems quite adequately, and most are neutral.

What puzzles me is that I get this great tonal balance with no tonal controls applied via the headphones, but I have to scale back the treble on my HR-1s (and before that my ERRs and my RL-1s and RL-2s). No matter which of the rooms I've had the Decware components in, no matter what cabling, rack, conditioning. I had thought it was my hearing and I guess it could be but why then are the headphones not giving me a similar tonal signature? Just don't know! I've worked at it and gotten it all just as I need it (and will do so again in a few months in a new place) but it puzzles me. I've tried in past rooms reinforcing the mid and/or lower frequencies, but I still can't take the treble unrestricted. I can't do room tuning or treatment in any way other than with rugs and household furniture. It's been a journey, I have accomplished my goal, but I still don't understand the causes. My hearing measures well, and an audiologist suggested a sort of tinnitus which high frequencies aggravate, but why wouldn't that be so with headphones? A mystery. None-the-less, I'm really enjoying the headphones. Now I need to get that other CSP2+ up to snuff and perhaps add beeswax caps. . . And then I'll probably be selling bits and pieces of two whole systems. Weird situation but I'm an adaptable fellow and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy my new headphone system in my next home. It will probably be these Oppos driven by a CSP2+ and a PWT/PWD Mark 2 combo serving as digital front end and a Power Plant Premier sparking it all up. Should sound really good.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/15/15 at 18:15:53

Lon,
When I read your post my first taught was that they are probably rolled off at the top. Reading some reviews, that is what some mentioned. Rolled off and lack of sparkle. I found a graph that shows that. That is why they sound good to you.

oppo1.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/15/15 at 18:22:38

Well maybe, thanks. I chose wisely I guess.

Still, they don't look that attenuated in the high frequencies as would cause the big difference between the sound via headphones and over speakers in my system.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 04/15/15 at 18:37:43

D,  I have read that they are somewhat similar to Audeze LCD 2s.  I own the LCD revision 2 and the highs are not too extended or bright as I feel my Sennhiser HD 800s are.  If you can read the chart here's one for an LCD 2.2.  Tell me what you think.   They send one done for each individual headphone they sell.  The silver/gold Toxic Cables Silver Widow adds some top end sparkle though.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/15/15 at 20:10:40

Mark,
I have not heard the Oppos but looking at the graphs the Oppos seem to have a better balance. They are pretty much flat until the 10k where they nicely drop off. The Audeze seem flatter at the beginning but then start to go crazy after the 1K mark. I could see the Oppos being a little brighter on top because they don't have that weird blip at the 12k mark where after that they drop off 7 db. My guess would be that the Oppo would sound better on vocals and higher frequency instruments. The only way to really tell is to listen to both of them on the same amp and music.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/15/15 at 20:14:35

Lon,
The one thing headphones take out of the equation is the room. Maybe you have something in your room/rooms aggravating the higher frequencies.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/15/15 at 20:19:47

D,  here's a graph of the HD 800s I have.  They are definitely much brighter than the Audeze.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 04/15/15 at 20:59:59

Right, I know the room is out of the equation.But we're really talking five different rooms I've had the stuff set up in two different residences. Seems odd to me that they would all consistently have the same signature.

We'll see what happens when I move into my fiancee's. Pier and beam, wood floor, one big room. The system I have there now (no Decware speakers,but PS Audio front end and CSP2 and modded Zen C amp) sounds notably less problematic, more neutral balance.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/15/15 at 22:41:51

Mark,
From the graph it would seem the HD800 would be brighter than the Audeze. Well not brighter but closer to neutral. The graph for the Audeze really does not look that good at higher frequencies.

Lon,
It might be the ribbon tweeter that Decware uses. That thing is flat up to 20k with a little rise at 20k.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 04/16/15 at 00:06:08

dk, yes, I've suspected it's the tweeter tweaking my ear drums in the past. . . . probably explains why it all comes together when I dampen that down a lot with big value resistors. Thanks for all your help analyzing this!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 06/23/15 at 03:40:38

Just want to say these headphones are da bomb. Sound great, nicely smooth, immersive.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/24/15 at 13:44:39

Lon,
Glad you like them. It would be great if you could attend a Decfest and bring them. I would like to compare them to my Fostex.
John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 06/24/15 at 14:19:59

I'll probably not be attending a DecFest anytime soon. But yeah, they are excellent headphones. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with headphones this century but I know what I like and these suit me and my source material and the rest of my system to a T.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 06/24/15 at 19:05:25

I won't forget these Phones for audition. Thanks for the input about these Lon.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3