04/23/24 at 15:37:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turntable advise (Read 7327 times)
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Turntable advise
05/25/15 at 11:40:57

Newbie on turntables, just bought a Thorens td160,please see link, but I have no knowledge with arm or pick up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311360611381?_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=S...

Down the road I will add a zp3, but for now I have to settle with a cheaper solution, and rather buy some records. I do not know if the arm is ok, better than ok or not ok... So be gentle but honest, should I be a happy guy? Is the installed pu ok for a while or do I need to get a better on right away?

Can I use all kind of pickups with this player and arm? Recommendations? In some ways I'm thinking mm pickups so I don't need a step up transformer, but not sure if this is the best way to save a dollar.

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Re: Turntable advise
Reply #1 - 05/25/15 at 13:34:40

Lin,; thanks a lot.. But why?

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/25/15 at 15:48:04

Jorgen,

Don't think you'll be able to tell until you get it set up but at that price point I think you got a pretty good deal.  Wouldn't doubt that you'll need a tune up since the table is from 78 but Thorens is a good name and that arm is known to sound well if in good working condition.  The cartridge prob will need replacing and there are plenty of mm Ortofon cartridges you could try out.  I've only had a couple older tables and they were very finicky but they were fine until I knew I loved listening to vinyl and upgraded.  I've never owned a Thorens though.
Take it home listen and go from there, worse case scenario is it doesn't work out but in this hobby you need to take some chances.  
Best of luck,

JD

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 05/25/15 at 16:20:42

Jorgen- Congrats on the table. If in good working order you have a nice rig. I have set up a few of the Mission tonearms way back in the day the the performance was very respectable. You will have to play around keeping it isolated from vibration from your speakers and foot traffic. If you are looking at an inexpensive but respectable cartridge, the Ortofon Red moving magnet which sell in the USA for 100.00 is very good. I mounted one on a friends table as a gift and he was amazed. Save for a ZP3, it's the best purchase I have made (along with my Rachael amp). Keep us updated and Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/25/15 at 17:59:59

The description claims its in very good condition, and one of the reasons I chose Thorens is the availability for spare parts. I expect a need for a new cartridge pretty soon, no worries.
I will use this TT with my Mini tori and Omega speakers, I seldom play very loud, so I dont think it will create to much vibration (?)

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/25/15 at 18:48:38

Solid floor eg concrete no prob. Floorboards can be long and will transmit footfall easily (the needle jumps). Thorens still make expensive TT`s so you should have a nice deck. My old Rega is 30ish years old and is just as reliable if I were to use it.
There were a lot of bids on your deck Jorgen, so they must have a good reputation.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/27/15 at 12:08:19

I bought my "re-entry to vinyl" last year from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana.
A refurbed TD-166 MKII.

TD166MKII_2.png
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/27/15 at 12:10:26

He does excellent work and specializes in Thorens.

TD166MKII_1.png
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/27/15 at 12:15:21

Then once I had one...........I bought this Denon DP-45F for when I was lazy and didn't want to jump at the end of a record.  :)
This pic is not of my TT but very representative.

DP-45F.jpg
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/27/15 at 20:21:28

That Thorens looks really good! Looks like å brand new TT. What would be the difference between a 160 mk2 and a 166?

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/27/15 at 20:30:09

See this link. Looks like the platter material.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-102052.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print