Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 20:22:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oppo 105D, Super Zen, Omega Super Alnico (Read 12080 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

Oppo 105D, Super Zen, Omega Super Alnico
04/07/15 at 17:32:50

Been listening to this combo lately and thought I would share a few thoughts. I gave Decware speakers serious consideration but in the end wanted a Single Driver monitor (not a floor standing model)

The main reason I waited so long to order (over a year) was a concern that my 2 watt Super Zen would simply not have enough juice to drive the Omega's. In my case, with a relatively large room and Bass reinforcement volume is simply not an Issue for me. I watched the Red Hot Chili Peppers Live At Slane Castle DVD last night at a high yet comfortable volume and had additional volume left to spare. The sound quality on this DVD is very good.

The Omegas reproduce the best electric guitar that I have heard. These speakers have a great Top End, never Edgy yet never rolled Off either. I should note that my Oppo player and Decware Super Zen are not usually described as warm. I like both for their honest transparency & clarity which on some speakers can be a bit edgy on the top end. The Omegas are simply silky smooth with this combination, the best in transparency and clarity I have heard in my listening room.

Another attribute is a pinpoint Soundstage Focus that I have not heard before (no bleed between instruments or vocals). Voices and instruments all have a very distinct space within the soundstage. This provides for much more audible vocals and micro detail within the music. All recordings are more inviting and interesting as a result. This degree of Focus creates a very large Soundstage and a very BIG SOUND, even at low listening levels. In my case the Bass reinforcement adds further to the BIG SOUND effect, especially at low volumes.

So if you have never owned a "Single Driver" speaker there has got to be a weakness right, no free lunch? The quality of Top End, Mid Range, Bass and Volume are all there. It is really quite impressive.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Re: Oppo 105D, Super Zen, Omega Super Alnico
Reply #1 - 04/08/15 at 04:33:43

Nice! Are you also using the subwoofers? Are those also Omega?

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/15 at 15:48:13

Stefan,

My Omega Monitors are sitting on Hsu ULS-15's (15") Subs. Next to the Subs are a pair of Hsu Mid Bass Modules. Subs and MBM's are connected via speaker level connections (speaker wire). Mid Bass Module crossover is set for 150hz and they play down to about 50hz. Sub crossover is set for 50hz. So basically Mid Bass Modules and Subs reinforce the Bass from 150hz down to 20hz.

Unfortunately Hsu is discontinuing the Mid Bass Module. I have not heard the Omega DeepOmega 12 sub but like what I see. It has the capability to play cleanly up in the 150hz range. If I did not have the Mid Bass Modules the DeepOmega would definitely be my choice for music.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/10/15 at 16:13:21

Last week I removed 48 feet of Crappy power cords from my system.

Upgraded to 20 feet overall of Pangea AC14SE MKII power cords. Multiple lengths of 0.6 meters and 1.0 meters. New Furman AC215A Surge / Power Conditioner. New PS Audio Power Port Classic wall outlets. Really cleaned things up (visually & sonically).

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7420-ps-audio-power-port-classic.aspx
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=AC-215A_PRO
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14S2

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/10/15 at 16:37:54

So DBC,  how about another report on your impressions for the Omega Alinco Monitors.  Have you heard other Omegas for comparison?

I didn't get to listen in the Cave last night but plan on shutting things down early this afternoon and getting some listening in.  I've already set the Deep Hemp Sub phase to 0.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/10/15 at 17:32:53

Mark,

I've been posting my impressions of the Super Alnico Monitors as time permits here at the Omega Fourm:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133715.0

As you will read, I think the Super Zen and Alnico Monitors are a Wonderful match.

DBC   IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/07/15 at 14:22:42

Surprised to see your omegas positioned on top of subs. Dont the subs' vibrations somehow alter the Omegas' performance? Have you tried using stands for the Omegas and if so what was the difference?

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/07/15 at 15:35:12

Guillaume,

If you look closely you will see that I have Auralex Isolation platforms under each Sub and between the Omega Monitors and Subs. No vibrations are transmitted to the Monitors. The 90 pound Subs provide the perfect stand height in my case.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Subdude&Go=Search

DBC   IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/16/15 at 18:28:12

Thanks a lot for the info.

PS = apologies for taking so long to reply, been all over the place lately!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print