Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 18:15:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audio Nirvana !2" & Gizmo (Read 46675 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Audio Nirvana !2" & Gizmo
03/29/15 at 23:29:06

Hey, here is the right place to post my new, barely started speaker project. After using the Gizmo for a smaller 8" Audio Nirvana driver and being impressed, the next logical step was to get one of their larger drivers and instead of using the ZOB cabinet, make my own. I had some thick maple cut up slabs from other projects and figure they would make decent baffles. Here are a few shots of the beginning of glue up for the baffles and the 12" drivers.

P3300001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Audio Nirvana !2" & Gizmo
Reply #1 - 03/29/15 at 23:31:19

drivers

P3300004.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 03/29/15 at 23:33:34

last one

P3300003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 04/01/15 at 03:52:11

Back to the old ways.

P4010012.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 04/05/15 at 23:49:43

Small update, but a lot of work. I routed out the holes for the drivers. The maple is 1 3/4" thick. I had to route from both sides to make it through. I still have to rout out the 6" port in 1 1/2" maple. Maybe tomm.

P4060001.JPG

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 04/07/15 at 00:39:13

Wow, no kidding! That sure is thick routing!

I had to do the same on a triple thick (3/4" X 3) MDF baffle for a subwoofer. I got a kick ass 1/2" spiral flute router bit. It took a while, but I got through it all. MDF sure looks easier then that beast you routed!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 04/07/15 at 02:03:17

But the thing with MDF is that I find it to be tough on router bits. I guess when you think about it, the bit has small area that it is cutting, but that means a lot of heat buildup. No real way around it. I have used carbide bits to help with the issue.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 04/07/15 at 03:25:53

I can't find an example online, but the bit I used was an upward cut, triple fluted solid carbide spiral bit. It was crazy expensive, but I use it for anything that need a 1/2" slot or rout through.

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 04/07/15 at 15:12:04

LR,

I remember trying those type of bits a long time ago. It was really weird, but the upward spiral bits would work themselves free from the router collet! Imagine my surprise when the bit had dug deeper and deeper before I noticed a problem. I tried to tighten the collet on my Freud router, but it happened every time.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 04/07/15 at 16:13:45

Yeah, that shouldn't happen! Cripes that's kind of scary.

Not sure what to tell you about that, I've never had it happen. I use both Bosch (I'm a Bosch whore) and Freud myself.

will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/07/15 at 20:11:35

Thanks for keeping us up with your progress 4K.

Smiley

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 04/10/15 at 19:59:26

Aww, what th' Hell, it's Friday. FWIW here is a small update. Yes, I actually have worked these a little bit each day. Some sanding, routing, and stamping my brand on the baffles. The cabinets are getting closer to assembly.

P4110001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 04/10/15 at 20:01:14

backside With mounted T-nuts

P4110002.JPG

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 04/10/15 at 21:40:52

I love the brand logo! I have a friend that's done some logos for big companies, he's promised to make me one of my own "when he has time"...it's been over a year now...maybe someday. LOL

Great update!

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 04/10/15 at 22:03:46

When a friend of mine insisted on having logo made for me, I rolled my eyes at her. That was 22 years ago, and I still use it.
One more shot at a mock up of the cabinet. Lots of details to work out.

P4110002_01.JPG

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/11/15 at 02:16:56

Nice 4K...The angle looks like a nice touch. No doubt, one of your many personalizations to the basic design. Can you tell us your thinking on it?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 04/11/15 at 04:05:50

Will,
 My hope is to limit some of the standing waves inside the cabinet caused by parallel walls of the cabinet. In this case, I don't think that I really did much good, but the slanted baffle may help to project the front wave at an angle that may enhance the listening experience. Lastly, these speaker will hopefully end up in a business that has a large room to fill, but not so much with loud music, more like background music or maybe more if the people are in the mood for it.
I will be using a slot at the bottom of the cabinet since talking with Steve about the differences between slots and ports. The original design called for a 6" port without a tube. I really sgould try it in my next project, but this one, no. I am very anxious to hear what the final product sounds like.
One more shot for the day. I am using a strange kind of water soluble coating on the inside of the cabinet. I bought it some time ago, and forgot about it. It seems to stiffen the walls and give a dull thud sound to the cabinet. It will definitely change the way that I use stuffing etc.

P4110001_02.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #17 - 04/11/15 at 23:51:48

Another update. Gluing top baffle onto cabinet.

P4120001_02.JPG

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 04/12/15 at 01:45:13

Looking awesome! I like what I see so far.

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #19 - 04/12/15 at 18:29:45

LR, Thanks. It is a work in progress. The next photos show a little different method of damping by using cork-lined acoustic foam. I placed it at an angle so that sound will hit foam on one side, and cork on the other. I used "Shoe Goo" cement to glue the foam in contact with the cabinet.

P4120001_03.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 04/12/15 at 18:31:02

last one

P4120002_02.JPG

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/12/15 at 19:30:23

Nice. I am probably as excited to hear them as you! Have you ever used official resonance damping material? I put some deflex panels in the HR-1s and was impressed.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 04/12/15 at 23:59:14

Interestingly, I am using a Deflex circle for the large magnet on the rear of the driver. Great stuff. I also have some Deflex corner pieces, but will now continue with caution. One step at a time for the damping process.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 04/13/15 at 23:58:07

A bit more work on some details, but this is how far I got today.

P4140001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #24 - 04/14/15 at 03:02:18

Ok ok, I put the driver in and listened. More about that in the morning. I'm beat.

P4140002_01.JPG

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/14/15 at 04:11:37

Wow, great to see! I was wondering if that was the "slot" in the bottom front? Have fun tuning!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #26 - 04/14/15 at 15:32:41

Bingo Will, yes the slot is on the bottom of the front. I even routed the back side of it to pass bass more easily. And yes, the cabinet is desperate need of tuning. Pretty harsh midrange and a bit of one note bass too. Polyfill to the rescue. I might also mention that the cheap D amp that I am using for break in is not very impressive sounding. I expected a bit more than this from it. Sounds a bit distorted. I am using an old Yamaha music server for the source.
Here is a lesson learned in choosing music for break in of a SINGLE speaker. I was listening to an old Beatles Abby Road recording, and being quite concerned that the vocals were way off. Yup, switch channels and bingo there are the vocals. Of course, it is all about the mix. So I have chosen a modern recording of a jazz group that is lively and the mix much more able to be played by just one speaker. That is push enough for me to get a start on the second cabinet.
The driver itself has been coming around, laying back  a little and producing more bass. there is a ways to go, and I am anxious to hear it's best performance.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/14/15 at 18:53:56

I can sure imagine playing one channel only could sound very weird, especially depending on the recording. Glad you are finding it good enough to make another. Should make tuning easier! Looking forward to more....

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #28 - 04/14/15 at 21:35:07

Since I am inside the cabinet again, this is a good time to show the polyfill, and the Deflex damper on the back of the driver. I used "Emergency Plumbers Tape" to hold it on.

P4150003.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #29 - 04/14/15 at 21:36:12

deflex

P4150002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #30 - 04/17/15 at 19:03:58

Friday update.   No, no I'm just continuing to burn this driver in. It has settled down a bit, but now the Gizmo is taking over. The effect is very good, and i am anxious to get some more hours on it before the customer will hear them. Time to start on the other cabinet. Brace yourselves, I have another surprise coming to these cabinets.

P4170001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #31 - 04/19/15 at 17:18:27

Ok, a little hint as to what I have in mind. Trying to adjust some one note bass.

P4190001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #32 - 04/19/15 at 17:19:33

A lot of sanding and shaping for the correct fit. I still have a bit left.

P4190002.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #33 - 04/20/15 at 23:04:44

No more updates for a bit. This is what the speakers will look like, basically. There is a bunch of clean up and finishing to do. Then I will continue the tuning and break in.

P4210001.JPG

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #34 - 04/20/15 at 23:06:27

Side view

P4210002.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 04/22/15 at 13:51:44

Looking great.  A work of art!

Interested in you impressions with Rachael once they are broken in.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #36 - 04/27/15 at 16:47:39

This is one of the last decisions that I will make for the speakers. I have two pair of binding posts that I have made for use with speakers. Both are very beefy. In fact the gold 5 way binding posts are off of my Rachel amp. I replaced them with a different set for no other reason than to do it. Let's have a vote, which set might look better on these speakers?

P4270001.JPG

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #37 - 04/28/15 at 15:53:40

I think the Rachel ones might look better, but I'm all about solid connectivity. What do you think will give you a more solid connection?

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #38 - 04/28/15 at 19:25:59

LR,

That is the primary question that I ask about most connections. The large turn posts with wings do give great leverage, but they are not 5 way binding posts and accept spades only. The binding posts from my Rachel are 5 way, and my preference is to use either a pin type wire connector or bare speaker wire. The trick to getting heavier stranded gauge wire tight is to first tighten, wait a second, and slowly tighten again. Too much of course damages the wire and is counter productive. It's just that vibration can be effective in loosening connections. That is the same reason that I use T-nuts and copper washers along with hex key type bolts on the driver. Again, over tightening would disastrous if it were to crack the cast frame. The copper washers are ever so slightly dished as to provide constant pressure.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #39 - 05/03/15 at 05:03:58

Well guys, it's time to put this one to bed. I have listened to the AN drivers for awhile now, and have a fair opinion of them. No doubt, they are efficient! A couple watts and your up and running. I designed the cabinets so that they could bear different amounts of bass by closing the ports, 1 or both of them. The difference is dramatic. I do feel that with both ports open, the speakers are a bit bass heavy for my taste.I do like the midrange since it has lost most of the peakiness to it. And then the treble. Well, I am less judgemental here since I know damned well my hearing isn't what it was even 5 years ago. What I did hear I really liked, as it had an open sound to it.
I have a new buyer in California and am preparing some ideas for shipping these beasts. I honestly will miss them, AND God help me, I am thinking about building ANOTHER set with 10" ALNICO drivers for myself.
In the meantime, I am screwing around with the 8" co-ax drivers in my shop. I needed temporary enclosures, so I used 5 gallon buckets. Yah, I said 5 gallon buckets. They sound just like you might expect.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 05/03/15 at 16:52:21

Sounds like you got them where you wanted. Did you find a bass port adjustment that you felt was well balanced for your tastes, and multi-note? For me really good bass balance is huge. If it is slightly empty, or if it slightly overwhelms the mids and highs, I find the sound less alive. But it is all about "real" for me, not sweet reproduction. I wonder if you tried tuning by extending the round port to various depths inside. I like the idea of the 10" anlico. This is the one I have been considering. Thanks for the story!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #41 - 05/03/15 at 21:37:56

Will,
Because of the two ports/slots that I have to work with (not to mention stuffing), I have found this system to be useful different types of music as you might imagine.
The 10" ALNICO drivers are very tempting to me since I use a pair and liked better overall than any of the other drivers that  I have bought from AN.
I have another customer that wants these shipped, but I have to tell you this just isn't going to happen since the risk is too high for damage.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 05/03/15 at 22:03:30

Glad to hear you have tried and liked the 10" Anlico.

I can imagine the shipping concerns for those heavy dudes. Have you had speakers shipped from ZYGI? Basically makes a styrofoam box within a box that perfectly fits the speaker. Beautiful.

Looking forward if you decide to post future projects. I have been following your Rachael mod thread too. Looks good!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #43 - 05/18/15 at 21:24:46

Post script;

I have enough time with these speakers now to know that the recipe must be less spicey than with other speakers. IMO, no solid state. The D amp accentuates their shortcomings, since it has some of the same shortcomings itself. I have yet to try to use an SLA battery for power, and have little curiosity to do so. It is what it is, and nothing short of digging into the amp will change that.
The drivers are also what they are, opposite of speechless. I have put the Gizmo back in and am slowly working toward a desirable outcome for the adjustment. This will take some time, since even a small adjustment makes a difference. Along with that difference can be a robbing of power, so careful careful. Assuming that I find the sweet spot, it will bring these drivers to a level that is great for music demanding bass and impact, hmmm I wonder what that would be? Ha. Someday, when I am rich enough, I will try the ALNICO drivers, but they had better be worth it. Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print