Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 22:03:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Silver Reference Interconnects (Read 9328 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Decware Silver Reference Interconnects
02/12/15 at 19:37:34

I want to hear from anybody who has used, or is currently using Decware Silver Reference interconnects.... and give me a compare and contrast to anything else you compared them to, what their overall sonic personality is, etc.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Silver Reference Interconnects
Reply #1 - 02/12/15 at 19:52:37

I can't compare because the 1 meter DSR is all I've used since getting back into Hi Fi via Decware gear July 2013.  Except for a shielded Zu Audio cable from the ZP3 to the CSP3, it's these babies bathed in Bees Wax...Just like all my Amps....Bees Wax everywhere. But seriously, there are lots of folks here that could help you...they use far more expensive fare.  I'm more than satisfied with these.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 02/12/15 at 19:56:44

Most extensively I've compared them to TARA Labs Reference RSC, PS Audio xStream Statement, cryoset.com Version 2, and VooDoo Cable Evolution, Ultralinear and Stradivarius. And one other that I've got and have actually at this time forgotten the name of.

They're good cables, but as with all cabling, synergy and system compatibility play a large part. They are clear and crisp. If you're system tends to brightness, they'll be bright. If your system tends to darnkess they may be just right. I found as my system overall became more reveaing, I found myself finding a sort of bleached thinness to the sound. Also, they are unshielded nd must be placed carefully away from power cables, and as mentioned elsewhere on this forum they can pick up noises from transformers, etc.

I really spent years with them and got my money's worth, but I began to long to experiment and moved to copper cabling (PS Audio, cryoset) and then to cabling with both silver and copper conductors (all three VooDoo Cable models) and found fuller, more satisfying (to me, in my systems and rooms) sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/12/15 at 20:48:27

I agree with Lon's description.  Clear and crisp.  Compared to Signal Cable interconnects, the Signal cable were dull and colored.

I have done a lot to my system lately to make it more revealing and I am beginning to think I may need to look to new interconnects.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/15 at 21:14:50

I`ve just compared them to my Chord Cadenzas. I took out the DSR`s from sut to ZP3 and played side one Africa Brass for no particular reason except that it was next on my playlist.

The Cadenzas have been revamped now to a reference model, same name, with new plugs and are appx $300/ 1mt pr. The new adverts say they`re the best thing since sliced bread etc.

I looked at the box my old ones came in and there is a sticker saying silver plated copper, twisted config....not much difference to the newer ones.

I have them relegated to cd and cassette tape action and they perform good.

So, the album starts and straight away knew it wasn`t the same. Dull, drab sound.  gave it ten minutes and put the DSR`s back in. Atmosphere, air, sparkle and surprisingly a 3D performance that the Cadenzas couldn`t match. Natural.

It was the same when I first used DSR`s. OMG where`s it all gone
It`s all thin, weightless but wow I can see right into the mix. They soon get to the stage where everything is right.

A note on the continuing story of the minimal hum from sut to ZP3.
The Cadenzas have a twisted config ( dont ask ) and teflon to reduce interference. If I hold the DSRs the hum increases. It`s just the same with the Cadenzas. ( same as in increases )

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/12/15 at 22:30:17

I have Decware cabling throughout my system, only other cables I've used were Nordost blue heaven and Decware beat them handily.  It's not a cheap suggestion but if you go with Decware cables I suggest going with the xhadow connectors.  They had an immense sonic improvement over my cables without them.

JD

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/15 at 22:45:31

JD makes an interesting point about connectors making a difference.

Years ago I went to speaker wires with bare ends. I realize this is not an option with interconnects, but supports JD's suggestion.

I had a set of Kimber 4TC speaker cables with Banana Connectors that never impressed me all that much. One day I removed the banana connectors and the sound was quite different (another veil over the music had been lifted).

So I'll no longer purchase speaker cables with connectors. So don't let your speaker cables mask what is going on upstream. Other wise you may never be able to hear what your interconnects are or are not capable of.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 02/12/15 at 23:39:39

I have heard many times over the years, from numerous sources, including from folks in the industry that probably know best, that the connector is more important than the wire in many cases.  Certainly at least "as important".  And that for speaker wire... no connector is the best connector... just like "no insulation" is the best insulation... yada, yada, yada.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/13/15 at 21:38:47

Interestingly, the connector on the simple Decware silver reference is pretty minimal. Very simple, light weight silver pin and partial ring. So if the Xshadows are that much better, it makes me wonder about the theory of minimalism with ICs.

JD,

Can you describe the sonic improvement with the Xshadows. Your comment makes me think about doing it. I have some Eichmann Bullets around too.

I have found that everything matters...metal, purity, gauge, insulation, connectors, solder...even the direction with a lot of cables. And though I get it conceptually, I don't think purist approaches always work best. If a certain copper wire sounds better with pure silver bananas than with pure copper spades, it may be just what is needed to get the most from that particular copper wire and configuration.

BTW, has anyone cleaned their cable connectors lately? I am always amazed when I remember. I just cleaned my Decware ICs and even though corrosion of silver is supposed to be a good conductor, I think they sound better, less there.

So far I prefer silver ICs, so I will compare a few.

Comparing simple Decware SRs with Grovers...the Grovers have custom designed non-resonant, low noise silver connectors. I think both ICs are nice resolving cables if their signature fits your needs. The silver Reference remind me of some classic tubes many like....tending to some emphasis in the upper and lower ranges....exceptionally sparkly uppermids ("crisp and clear" comments...) and deep bass that can go to "soft" if you have low bass issues. Siemens/RTF El34s, also very resolving, come to mind as having similar emphasis. It is not that the mid-mids are receded, just that the upper mids and bass seem a little pronounced in the balance. With a lot of tube sets, RCA grey labeled OA3s have this same tendency compared to other OA3s if you are familiar with them. Here the Decware silvers are similar...They are nice and smooth, and even warmish everywhere but the upper mids up, but it seems the slight tonal emphasis probably defines most of the sound...not bad or good...just the way I hear them.

The balance of the Grovers by comparison, make the mid-midrange more pronounced, causing a sense of less bass and upper end emphasis though all the detail and bass is there. They feel like they are a little warmer overall due the upper mids being softer in the blend. They are a little more forward in general (bigger wire?), to me just a bit overly pushed...but I think they have very nice frequency balance and resolution. And they probably have a little less noise, feeling more space and pace with them, though this could be more frequency balance, by comparison, the bass of the Decwares masking some of the mids???? Grovers are very revealing across the spectrum, though I would not say particularly bright.

I think my favs are VHaudio silver recipe with low mass KLE silver harmony connectors. Compared to the Grovers, these cables have a little less push and volume (though about the same as Decware). They are both fast, but the VH are smoother and warmer, making them appear perhaps a touch less resolving....but I don't think this is the case...I think they are just smoother, with natural analog timbre and lucidity. I can't hear balance emphasis with them...they seem even to me. And if you flip them, one way is a little warmer/darker, ....so if anyone makes them, it is good to be sure to run the wire the same way on both and mark the beginning end on each. The parts (connectors from partsconnexion and the rest from VHaudio) cost a little more than the Decware and Grovers, and you have to make them, and there is not return like the others..... But to me, in this system...they support a sense of "analog" resolution...very resolving, but smooth and warmish...pretty much disappearing...

I think they are all really nice cables, but these are thoughts on what I hear in my system/room by comparison.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #9 - 02/14/15 at 06:14:31

I was hoping somebody would chime in with some experience with the
Grover's.  I was/am considering them.  I have some DIY IC's, made with various wires, and mostly RCA's from homegrownaudio, some WBT's and some Canare's.  For XLR's I've always used the Neutrik gold's.  The other IC that is piquing my interest, is the Mapleshade's... I have seen the light with foil conductors used for speaker cables, and for inductors.  Though, now I have crossoverless full-ranger's which eliminate that variable (and every other sound robbing passive part in series with the amplifier for that matter).  Mapleshades copper foil "in a baggie" with their low-mass RCA's.... hmmmm......might be worth a try.  I'll checkout the Vhaudio stuff too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print