Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 15:10:48 

Poll
Question: Interest in a high quality Zen Speaker Switch Box?

Yes, damn the cost
Yes, if reasonable cost $500 or less
Maybe
Not at all

« Created by: Rizlaw on: 02/10/15 at 17:10:37 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Deware Zen Speaker Switch Box (ZSSB) (Read 4428 times)
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Deware Zen Speaker Switch Box (ZSSB)
02/10/15 at 17:10:37

Yesterday, I had a discussion with someone from the Netherlands on Head-Fi who who was getting a previously owned Taboo III and thought, incorrectly, that it had a speaker switch to cut off the speakers when listening to headphones. He was disappointed when I informed him that it did not. That exchange prompted this poll.

I have asked Steve in the past if he would make a high quality speaker switch box. He's been a little non-commital on the subject with me. My online search for a fairly priced, very high quality speaker switch box has been disappointing. Few, if any, I have found have high quality 5 way binding posts, let alone quality wiring and switches, etc.

I am talking about a sonically transparent Decware made switch box that would allow the user to switch between two or three sets of speakers (or turn off speakers completely when headphone listening) with inputs for two separate amplifiers. Additional things like impedence control/selection and attenuation controls would also be available.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
ToT
Verified Member

Re: Deware Zen Speaker Switch Box (ZSSB)
Reply #1 - 02/10/15 at 17:22:11

Hi, Dutch guy from Head-Fi here!   Wink

I haven't received my Taboo yet, but I most likely want it to replace my Onkyo receiver once I have it.
However, listening to my LCD-X on it while the (active) speakers still produce sound is not an option here in my house, so I would love to have some kind of switch.

Unfortunately my financial resources are quite limited (I'm 100% disabled) and I also would like to buy a Zbit, so a switch mustn't be too expensive for me.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/10/15 at 19:19:21

I have a Taboo MK III that I haven't used in 6 months or more.  I plan on using it for my Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones soon without speakers.  It will be in my main Listening Room connected to a CSP3 which is also connected to a Torii.  As long as you leave your headphones hooked to the Taboo MK III while on, it's safe to run without speakers.  I suggest having banana connectors so you can unhook the speakers easily if you like.  I will be using a resistor on the speaker terminals so the Taboo will see a load...say 4 to 12 ohms...that way I don't have to worry about forgetting to attach the headphones before turning on the Taboo and causing damage.  Hope this helps.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/10/15 at 20:12:00

Mark58,

I am well aware of all that you mentioned and I have done it, but it's certainly inconvenient.

The point of a speaker switch box is, to do for speaker outputs what Steve recently did for line level inputs, aka, the Decware ZSB. In my opinion, this would improve the ergonomics and versatility of the Decware product line in general. It would keep the price of the basic preamp and amps at a reasonable level, while allowing those who need or want more versatility and functionality to purchase it in separate boxes.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/15 at 20:55:08

Rizlaw, Steve seems to have his hands full.  My guess is a speaker switch box won't be a priority but you're in luck...a google search reveals there are probably 100 or more commercially available from 20 bucks to several hundred dollars.  Below is one example.  I also found lots of them on ebay in addition to the Hi fi suppliers. If I wanted one, I'd ask Steve what he'd buy. Good Luck.  Mark.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4ELDY3B1ucw/shopsearch/niles_speaker_selector.html?...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print