Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 06:19:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CDApS Meeting This Weekend (Read 16133 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

CDApS Meeting This Weekend
01/09/15 at 15:53:26

I am happy to report that we will have 33% higher attendance at this weekend's Chicago Decware Appreciation Society meeting (CDApS).  While concerned about handling this spike in attendance, we feel crowd control will not negatively impact the event.

This meeting we will be featuring the following Decware amps:
- SE 34I "Rachael"
- Torii MKIII

DACs will include:
- Chord QuteHD
- PS Audio DS

Digital Sources:
- Mac Mini with Matrix USB/SPDIF converter
- Raven's portable HD setup for his DS

Turntable/Pre:
- Parks Audio Budgie
- Modded Empire 208 table with a Jelco 750D arm, and either an AT150Mlx MM cartridge or a Denon DL-103r MC cartridge

Speakers DIY:
- El Caminos
- Super Pensils http://www.madisound.com/pdf/PensilsA122p-191012.pdf

The bullpen in the ajoining room for amps/DACs/speakers:

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Re: CDApS Meeting This Weekend
Reply #1 - 01/09/15 at 16:42:47

Looking forward to it!  Here are the Super Pensils ...

IMG_0011.JPG
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #2 - 01/09/15 at 16:46:33

And the Empire table.  Analog coming to (or at least getting reinvigorated at) the Palamino household!

IMG_0124.JPG
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/09/15 at 16:50:40

Nice.

Especially since my turntable is...ah..."vintage."

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/09/15 at 17:13:48

sounds like a blast, make sure to let us know what you guys experience.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 01/10/15 at 00:52:20

CDApS members - my new Zu Audio speakers *might* be showing up tomorrow (Saturday), so I might not be able to attend as I'll be waiting on Fed Ex to deliver them. I can swing by after they arrive though...after I give them a listening to of course.

Have we worked out our secret handshake yet?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/10/15 at 05:50:56

Looks like a real good time up there...  If I was closer I'd love to hear that Empire.  Please share with us how the Alpair drivers held up.  Have a blast fellas.

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/10/15 at 12:01:40

Hmmm a meeting without el presidente?  I guess I will have to assume leadership duties.  I have been reading about the omens.  I have high hopes there.  I do want to hear the el caminos in my room hooked up to the Torii.

My most anticipated piece of gear for today are the pensils.  I am hoping they play loud and low enough with Rachael.  

Second would be the vinyl rig.  I hooked up my antique TT the other day and found it very seductive and remembered the allure of records.  It will be good to hear a quality rig.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 01/10/15 at 15:56:46

Zus are out on the truck for delivery. Hopefully they'll be here before Noon. I still need to box up and ship my Anthony Gallo that sold yesterday!

deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/10/15 at 16:36:22

Sweet.
I know you are going to want to listen to them as soon as you get them. But my thinking would be to put them in the garage for a day in the boxes. Then bring them into the house the next day in the boxes and let them sit another day. It is so cold outside you want them to get use to the warmer temps again. Its like a wooden floor. They tell you to bring in the flooring about 3 days before you lay it. This way the wood gets use to the temp and humidity. I know the speaders are not hard wood but they are wood and the MDF will expand. Not sure what the cold temps do to the drivers.
Well that is what I would do just to be safe.  8-)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 01/10/15 at 18:31:45

Too late!

Wow, these things are pretty much brand spanken new! The manual wasn't even pulled out of it's sealed plastic sleeve. All the packaging looks new...almost like someone pulled these out of the box, and put them right back in and sent them my way!

Very first impressions. Yuck!

Within 20 minutes of the ZMA pushing them, they are already several DB louder and losening up. They are harsh and young sounding. Clearly not having been broken in at all - and I really don't have their placement ideal, as I need to move some speakers out of here.

So while the the previous owner(s) didn't crack open the manual, I did, and it happens to mention that if these were delivered in the winter and are cold, they could take a *full week* to acclimate. They even say "I don't know why, it just does".

So I have some warming up and break in to do. Minute by minute they are already sounding better, hopefully with a few months of regular beating on, they will loosen up enough to sound more open, relaxed, and detailed. Right now - not so much on those points. Damn are they sexy though!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/10/15 at 18:42:37

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. . . don't look too cool to me. Smiley Have fun with them, hope they open up sooner than later.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/10/15 at 19:59:25

They look DAMN COOL to me!

Now, if the sound settles down and gets to work as good as they look your ahead of the game ( and ahead of many of us ).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 01/11/15 at 01:18:00

nThat was a good session today guys - I'm glad I finally made it over!

Those super pensil speakers really sounded good. Great midrarange texture and bass control. It's hard to believe they are just big boxes and not some special chambered design, transmission line or horn! I was getting worried that the El Camino wouldn't compare, but in fact they shined!

I'm not sure why, but the DirectStream didn't sound it's best - it definitely takes a little bit to warm back up after being powered down, but I just didn't feel it sounded its best today. I probably need to work on my "portable setup" - tweak it as much as I've tweaked my home setup.

Palomino's room sounded awesome as always - though I don't think I liked having those polycylindrical diffusers behind the chair.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/11/15 at 02:19:20

You should have had me move them.  I put them back after you left.  I think that placement is not as good for imaging but it makes a huge difference in width of soundstage.  

Lots to like about the super pensils.  Vocals were killer. I set up a subwoofer in case we needed it.  No need for a sub here.  

Anyway I will post more tomorrow during my coffee but lots to like.  Heard some great vinyl, pensils had some of the most tuneful bass as I've heard and after warmup I really liked the Torii with both the pensils and the el caminos.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/11/15 at 15:13:03

The CDApS meeting was called to order around noon yesterday and went till about 5:30.  As projected, we had record attendance for this meeting.

We started out with listening to my digital rig with Rachael to give Tom a feel for the room and give us a baseline.  We then put Tom's vinyl rig in place:

- Parks Audio Budgie
- Modded Empire 208 table with a Jelco 750D arm and AT150Mlx MM cartridge

Some tweaks were in order because of the TT coming out of the cold but even without the tweaks, I could tell this was going to be good.

We started with the Super Pensils.  First of all Tom did a great job on the woodwork.  As somebody who messes with trying to build boxes, I was impressed.  They are the biggest speaker I have had in my room, but weigh less than most.  Hardwood oak baffle, plywood sides, bottom slot ported, these are more like a finely tuned guitar or viola than the heavy MDF monkey coffins I have slapped together.

The Pensils have a very refined, detailed sound with mids to die for.  No "in your face" single driver sound here.  Nora Jones was on of the first albums we put on and the breathiness of her vocals and details in the rest of the recording were all there and the best I have heard those cuts.  As I said in the earlier post, I had a small sub hooked up but there was no need.  What I liked best about the bass was not the amount or the depth, but the tone of the bass itself.  Again, as simple as these boxes are, and the fact that they are built out of relatively light weight materials, I expected some boominess.  It simply wasn't there.  Again, the bass was tuned like it was coming from a fine wood instrument.

In terms of volume off the Rachael, I am sorry to report, running just off Tom's turntable and Budgie phono pre, the Pensils needed some more power.  We did switch back to my digital rig which puts out 3volts from the DAC and it was very acceptable and full.  Tom thought with a preamp and a little resulting gain, Rachael could work in his room.

As I write this, Nora Jones "Come Away With Me" just came up in the rotation.  Sounds good but I just don't feel her caressing me with the lyrics the way it did on Tom's Pensils/vinyl rig.

So we tossed in the Torii to hear what a little power would do for the Pensils.  They loved it.   Big sound.

Sidebar on vinyl.  What Tom brought was a stack of MUSIC.  It felt like real music.  It was more involving both physically and emotionally.  Imprecise and sometimes imperfect as it was, it is always a nice vacation for me when I hear my TT and Tom has a nice setup and picked out some great tracks.  Cannonball Adderly, Phil Woods, Bob James and David Sanborn, Blood Sweat and Tears (stole the show for me) and even some early Hall and Oats (which I could not guess in a blind listening test).  So will I go out and invest a ton in vinyl?  Probably not, but this definitely motivated me to listen to my very basic system more which is a lot easier with the two input Torii.

At some point, we switched back to digital in order to hear some more recently produced and somewhat speaker punishing tracks including some of Raven and I's "bass busters."  The sound was big and the Pensils handled it.  While the Pensils did not go as low, they did not distort.  Seems they know what they can do and stop there rather than trying to go too far and produce bad sound.

Soooo, I looked at Eric and said "do we put the El Caminos in?"  It was a bit chancy given the Pensil performance.  These are our adopted babies from poppa Zygi after all.  He said sure and we were glad we did as the El Caminos did quite well.  

While the Pensils do really well on the high end for a single driver, Eric and I felt that things like the shimmer of the cymbals were better on the El Caminos.  (Note: Tom did feel that the highs would improve as these speakers continue to break in).  In the low end, the El Caminos went lower and had more punch (but I would say I like the "tunefulness" of the Pensil bass a little better).  We didn't discuss this, but I liked the openness and detail in the mids better on the Pensils.  I think this may come down to personal taste.  I like that lighter open sound and the precision of the detail.  Others may prefer the punch of the El Caminos.

So from simply my perspective, the elevator speech would be that the Pensils are more refined in the mids, the El Caminos are more extended on either end and thus more dynamic.  If you listen to a lot of jazz, vocals, singer songwriter and maybe classical (we didn't listen to much), the Pensils might be a very good fit.  They are remarkable speakers.  El Caminos might be a better all rounder.  I say might because I think I could easily live with either speaker.  I am living with the El Caminos now as Eric left them while he breaks in the Zu Blue Meanies.

Eric then hooked up his mobile Direct Stream rig.  He literally sets up a wireless network and runs a mini-PC connected to the Direct Stream and controls it remotely with a laptop.  I thought the DS sounded quite good on both speaker sets and all our typical demo tracks sounded good in my room.  As mentioned in an earlier post, Eric did not think the DS sounded its best.  We were running off RCA's, not XLR so that could be the difference.  With RCA's, I did not feel that my little Chord QuteHD was shamed in any way.  But I have heard more detail at Eric's house.

Eric liked the way my room sounded.  He is right in the earlier post about the positioning of the diffusers.  I have them back where they were at the first reflection points and they will probably stay there.  Tom has a purpose built room at his house and felt there was more you can get from a room.  He offered to host the next meeting so we'll make the trek.  I'd love to hear his room.

I sent the Rachael home with Tom for an audition, so if you have contacted me concerning buying the Rachael, he is going to have it until we can get to his place.  I have been hemming an hawing about selling it, but since he just sold his other amp, I couldn't send him home amp-less.  I also think its on the edge in terms of whether it will work for him with the Pensils in his size room, so an audition is warranted.

Anyway, kind of a long post.  I'm sure Eric and Tom may offer some other thoughts.   This is just what I heard.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 01/11/15 at 16:31:57

I'm still thinking about those pensils - I like what you said about them and agree completely. The three things that stood out for me: #1 no single driver "honk" - while I love that a single driver always has the "timing" right that multi-drivers don't always get right, I really hate how single driver speakers have a honk...which I bet on a graph would show up as s peak in the upper mids where the cone itself is acting like a horn for one frequency, or the cone is basically harmonizing with itself or something. Asking too much of one driver. I didn't hear that with this drive which really was surprising. #2 the high frequency extension caught me off guard. Usually with full range drivers, I feel like I'm missing the air - on the Wailin' Jennys Summertime, I was expecting the slight sibilance of the microphone to disappear, but it was all there (I know sibilance isn't necessarily a sound you *want*, but IMHO it is part of what makes this recording what it is), and #3, the bass had so much control. Like Palo said, it seemed to know how much it *could* do and drew the line there...where as when the El Camino tries to hit the super-deep, punchy notes in Daft Punks - Doin' It Right it comes out sounding like someone got punched in the stomach and all the air rushed out of them. The El Camino doesn't know when to stop and say F-that, that's way beyond me; it just keeps trying and I know of no 5" driver that's going punch that low and as hard and accurately as those notes need.

On the flip-side though, the El Camino just had sparkle and depth and dynamics that a full range speaker only hints at. I was very pleased with how they performed after the Super Pensils gave such a stunning performance.

I didn't bring over my MG944, but from my time with them I feel the 944 would have fit somewhere in between the Pensils and the El Camino - they have the control and punch of the Pensil, but not as much depth or silkiness of high end of the El Camino. Compared to the other two speakers, the slight etched high end would probably stand out. Again, a trade off of detail and extension vs silky smooth high end.

Palo was a little concerned with the sound of the Torii, but it sounded quite fine to me. I guess I must have come in after it was properly warmed up. She's still young and needs plenty more seasoning, so I only expect good things from the amp (duh!).

Thanks to Tom for bringing over snacks by the way - that's something that Palo and I often forget.  :)

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 01/11/15 at 17:02:09

Sounds like a great time. I think you guys know how special it is to have someone to share and learn from in these audio adventures. For many of us it's a solitary activity with few to share it with directly.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/11/15 at 17:13:40

That's so true.  You work at this hobby and finding people who get it are few and far between.  

I had two opportunities over the holidays to share with people who got it.  One was a friend of my sons who listened to headphones and the other was a musician who dates my sister in law.  Both were blown away.

It's those kind if interactions that help keep you motivated.

Then you add people to the mix that understand all the little details and you learn a lot.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 01/11/15 at 17:23:54

We learn so much from each other - even little things like when I pointed out the Dup Dup song has a diagonal imaging on my system, and you seemed a little surprised that you and I were getting the same imaging. But then the Pensils gave us more of a wide flat image of the same track.

It's those kinds of bits of information I store in the back of my mind and try to figure what that means about our systems, and which presentation I really like better.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/16/15 at 13:55:10

CDaPs went on the road yesterday for a visit to tlarwa's house in Lake Geneva.  Of course Raven and I could not make it past the BratStop without ducking in to have a Cajun Brat and pick up some Wisconin beer.  Highly recommended.

Tom has built a dedicated room with isolating racks, color coordinated absorbers, lush listening chairs and a slew of new gear.  He has a knack for finding great gear at a fraction of the price.  While he has a CDP, he's clearly a vinyl addict with a book case full of LPs.

We began by listening to Tom's new turntable.  Eric or Tom will have to fill in the blanks on it but it's made by one company but labled Marantz.  Amp was a DIY Tom recently picked up putting out a whopping amp and a half.  He was also using a Khozmo passive pre with three inputs and a remote.  Loved the clicking as you turn it up.  I think it has 47 steps.  Speakers were the super pensils which were very impressive once again.  Unbelievable the amount of bass these put out with such a flat, small driver.  It never seems to break a sweat.

We measured the silent room at a 30db noise floor.  This compares to my room at 35 and Eric's at, well, higher.  Anyway, that low noise floor really helps you hear things in the recording.

I did bring my Mac Mini rig along.  I arranged it on a board with bluetak so that I could easily transport it in and out of the room.  Comparison to Tom's vinyl rig was a mixed bag.  The dynamics were great on the mini, but for smooth sound it was no contest with the spinning platter winning easily.  

This bothered me given my recent tweaks.  Somehow I introduced  some digital harshness over the past week or so.  When I got home, I set it up again and think I have it figured out.  It's the switching power supply on the external firewire drive.  So now I have to figure out music storage.

Anyway, one of the highlights of the trip was listening to Tom's vintage 1950's console he had in his living room upstairs.  It's Mono, but a gas to listen to.

We also listened to Tom's Klipsch speakers hooked up to a 24 watt PP.  Great for rocking out.

Music-wise, we heard lots of great tunes.  Miles Davis Summertime and the Doors Riders on the Storm were highlights, but lots of other stuff as well.

Eric and I left jealous of Tom's music paradise.  Well worth the trip and we are grateful for Tom hosting.

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #21 - 02/16/15 at 14:24:15

It was great to host ...I'm always looking for people to share my room with.  While I love sitting down there myself (and often do),it does get a bit lonely ...

The turntable is a Marantz TT15S1, which is made by Clearaudio, and is a variant of their Emotion table.  The cartridge is an AT OC9/MLII.  

Thanks again for making the drive!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/16/15 at 15:25:30

Do you know the model chair?  I know you said Lane.   I am hitting Craig's list today.

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #23 - 02/16/15 at 15:53:30

I'll take a look at the label on the bottom whenI get home and let you know.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/16/15 at 15:54:45

I found the Lane Andre.  Could be it.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #25 - 02/16/15 at 17:35:53

That was a great visit, thanks for hosting Other Tom.  :)

I'm so jealous of your dedicated room. It doesn't take much space, sounds great, and that really low noise floor really, really makes the music the focus. And those chairs! I seriously almost fell asleep listening in that middle chair it was so comfy!

That little 1.5 watt amp sounded great through the super pencils, and I enjoyed listening to the Klipsch. I really wanted to listen to my setup as soon as I got home, but I need to redo my software on my server first. As it is, I was up till 3am doing taxes, backing up my desktop PC, and downloading everything I need to rebuild my Media PC. I'm almost done now and hoping to listen to some music in the next hour or so, and compare to my mental image of your room. I really need a dedicated listening room.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print