Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 17:54:16 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ZBIT box (#002) - Initial Impressions (Read 41546 times)
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Re: ZBIT box (#002) - Initial Impressions
Reply #50 - 05/31/15 at 08:25:52

Interesting point, I hadn't considered since I already have invested much into my SE LDR w/ LPSU.

I do know of a possible balanced LDR you could borrow and try in Texas.

I can pose this question to Morten as I have asked him about the input sens. of RCA in the LDR.

"The output from the RCA jacks is fully adjustable from 0 to anywhere between 3 & 10 volts ~ basically the full output voltage of your balanced component."

I'm still skeptical about adding a traditional attenuator to my current LDR-based system. I might as well stay SE to the Rachel.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 05/31/15 at 20:07:00

The Tortuga is passive. I'm not sure if you want the ZBIT after it. Typically you want to go LDR > AMP.

I'm pretty sure I read the Tortuga is fully balanced internally.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/31/15 at 20:21:40

hifitubes,

I did read that the Tortuga pre that I'm looking at is fully balanced, but I don't know what that means exactly. I think different manufacturers mean different things when they say a component is balanced. When Steve says balanced, he means it is coupled to the Jensen transformer, but I don't think that most manufacturers handle it the same way. That's what I need to find out about the Tortuga.

I understand your hesitation to add anything to the LDR-based attenuation. I'm pretty high on it after I bought a Lightspeed Attenuator a few months back, just as an experiment. I paid $280 for it, so I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. I replaced a $2500 preamp with it, and when I plugged it into my system, what I heard was...nothing. No coloration whatsoever. I felt like I was closer to the music. I don't know what better attribute a preamp could have than to disappear. That's why I'm considering stepping up to the Tortuga (also because I'm lazy, and want the remote control). I guess in an ideal world, all of our amps would have balanced inputs, no?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 05/31/15 at 20:27:26

Man these LDRs are insane, I added a LPSU to mine and wow, I wish I could turn on the hifi right now!

Good news. I found out my Vega DAC has same 4v output voltage on SE and XLR output, so even though I will lose a tad, I can effectively and safely try floated pin3 XLR>RCA adapters to use the ORFEO output stage (SE has opamps) - which is based on the famous NEVE 8078 console.

Save my money for some mods to Rachel this Summer....!

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 06/01/15 at 07:23:24

hifitubes,

When you say you added a LPSU to your Tortuga, are you meaning a Linear Power Supply? If so, what unit did you go with? Thanks for the info.

That's good news about having the same voltage output balanced/unbalanced. The TEAC dac that Steve recommended to me has 4v balanced output, but only 2v unbalanced. My amps are unbalanced, hence my recent ZBit purchase. Let us know how the XLR/RCA adapters work.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 06/01/15 at 08:56:50

My buddy made it. Same guy in Texas who has a balanced Tortuga. PM me if you want contact info, although he is slowing down audio DIY.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #56 - 06/12/15 at 13:52:23

Hi guys! I wonder if you have any more insights to share regarding the ZBit and what the differences are between using it and taking it out of the system, as well as how it combines with your current gear.

Also, how long it takes for the ZBit to get shipped after ordering?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 06/17/15 at 13:09:38

I'm eager to hear more from others.

My Cardas XLR>RCA adapters arrived today - they have pin3 floated.

The Auralic Vega XLR outputs, although a different output stage altogether - is also 4v as is the RCA 4v output.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #58 - 06/17/15 at 20:13:08

Well, if you have a Mini Torii, like me, then we'll be adjusting the ZBit's output on the low range (due to the high gain in the Mini), but according to Steve, with the same good results. I've never used balanced inputs in the Mini before, so this is going to be an additional experience.

I'll be testing ZBit, balanced inputs, new balanced cables, new tubes, two pairs of Diffusor panels and the anxiously awaited for Yggdrasil. This implies a long period of concomitant burn-in conditions.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print