Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:04:28 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 72705 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #50 - 12/21/14 at 17:59:28

I replaced the Tungsol KT-66s with a matched quad of Gold Lions from Cryoset a couple weeks ago.  As I've been wandering through my vinyl I am noticing an increased resolution in song lyrics.  I assume that the increased resolution goes throughout the music.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #51 - 12/31/14 at 20:13:13

I'm ~NOT~ touching my Tung-Sol KT66's from Steve.  My ZMA is singing with my National's.
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/matsushita-national-pcc88-7dj8/
The whet midrange tone an clarity is to die for; while maintaining an extended timbered treble an tight defined low end delineated/bass. I've kept the 6N23P's in the Inverter stage. My CSP3 is staying with all 6N1P's.

Next up in the ZMA A12 an B12 Pre positions are:
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-e88cc-6922/
These are not the knock off crap being reissued now. These are the real NOS deal...from the Deal.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (National 7DJ8's in Pre A12 & B12 positions)
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (X-over's rebuilt/upgraded with Clarity Caps)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Front End an CSP3 Regenerated/116, 118 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (w/NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) & Decware Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #52 - 12/31/14 at 20:31:25

That's cool. I couldn't keep the Tung-Sols in the main system after hearing the Gold Lions, and then the TADs, the Tung-Sols are definiltely the ones I like least. But then I think I go for a different type of sound than you.

Isn't it great when our systems sing? I'm enjoying mine immensely this afternoon, while I can (will be away from it tonight and tomorrow damnit!)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #53 - 12/31/14 at 20:43:36

Yeah, I'm out of here tonight an tomorrow too (dammit).  I don't want to shut my Rig down.

Well, we have different Amps and Cables to consider too Lon. The Nationals are a match made in heaven for the Tung-Sols. The Tele's are supposed to be too. However, I would not hesitate bringing the Gold Lion Kt66's in for the Tele's, if that is what they need.

Yes, it is great when our System's Sing! My Power Plant 3, Chord an 2nd 1030IC with the Nationals are burned in an blowing my mind.

Cheers, an Happy New Year Lon.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 12/31/14 at 20:50:08

Yes, different systems altogether. I just remember your comment that the PWD MK 2 did not have enough treble for you. . . and it makes my ears bleed there's so much, no DAC I've heard has not made me turn the treble down on my amp, and I praise the Lord for Steve's treble cut circuit, I can't have an amp without one (the main reason I didn't jump on the ZMA wagon).

Have a nice safe one Larry!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #55 - 12/31/14 at 21:49:19

Just ordered my Tele's. Nice reviews an some Decware user's too.

Happy New Year.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #56 - 01/08/15 at 17:20:47

Oh boy, the Tele's came yesterday and they did not disappoint!

I put them in this morning at 6 am. They are truly beautiful an neutral. 72 hour burn from Kevin an I have 5 hours on them now. The extra special clarity, musical resolution with even more timbre while remaining tight imaged an deep, is amazing. The ZMA deserves tube rolling in the A12 an B12 inputs/pre.

Cheers, back to the Listening Room for Stone...as a snow storm rages outside. Let me know when it's May!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #57 - 01/08/15 at 19:37:10

Did you replace all four, or just the front two or back two?

They are a bit expensive for me, but my GE labeled Teles that I actually got for my guitar amps sound really good. I didn't give them much time though due to the other tubes showing up.

Since I was sick for 2+ weeks straight, I didn't have any time to listen and roll tubes.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #58 - 01/09/15 at 04:14:40

Yeah, I hear you on being sick. I had a concussion in June an my appendix ruptured in October. Sick the first 10 days of December.

So, I treated myself to these awesome tubes from Upscale. I use a pair in the front positions A12 an B12 (see manual) inputs/pre only. I am so pleased as stated above.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 01/12/15 at 16:31:26

I found my combo for my CSP3 an ZMA for Pre Tubes.

I have a pair of Telefunken 6922 / CCa / 7308, for output tubes in my CSP3. In my ZMA, I have a pair of Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8, in my A12 an B12 inputs.

The absolute clean clarity neutrality of the Telefunken's putting it forth to the texture an clean grace of the National's is stunning. The System is at a whole new level of musicality.
My 2 cents, if you're tube rolling an own a CSP3 with Jupiter Caps an a Zen Mystery Amp. YMMV, due to System an Cables for sure..... .

Listening Room:
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (w/Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in A12 an B12 inputs)
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (91db)
(Front End an CSP3 Regenerated/116, 118 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (w/NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) & Decware Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Footnote: The Telefunken's are to much of a good thing in my CSP3. I put the 6N1P-EV's back in. The CSP3 is perfect the way it is with Steve's tube compliment. The National's stay in the A12 an B12 inputs of my ZMA (wonderful in here).....with the rest of Steve's tube compliment = beautiful.

I will try the Tele's in my SE84CS an CKC before I sell them.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #60 - 01/20/15 at 15:24:53

I found the place for my Telefunken's......

...in the Input tube position of my CSP3. It is hard to mess with perfection of this Preamp (w/Jupiter Caps). However, this Telefunken (Platinum) with the 6N1P-EV's (pair for Outputs) from Steve is just brilliant running into the ZMA with his Tube Compliment. I do use Matsushita/National's (Platinum) in the Input A12 & B12 positions of my ZMA as well.
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/matsushita-national-pcc88-7dj8/

I'm sticking with this scenario for some time to come...... .

Listening Room:
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922 / E88CC for input tube)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in A12 an B12 inputs)
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (91db)

Decware New SET Mono's pending..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #61 - 01/22/15 at 20:44:06

Happy Birthday to my ZMA! I received it one year ago today. The rest is history.

Coupled with the CSP3 (w/Jupiter Caps) and the Input Tube compliments mentioned in my above post (an System) = musical involvement!

Hey, the dooms day clock got moved to 3 minutes to midnight today. Enjoy some music with Decware.........today!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #62 - 01/22/15 at 21:44:05

LOL - I did a not quite so quiet celebration of my ZMA on the 7th. Smiley

At least, I think it was the 7th I got my ZMA. I'd have to go back through that long thread where we spend pages pining over the build list.  :)

FarmBoss

Reply #63 - 02/19/15 at 14:13:10

Stone,

What order would you recommend rolling with the ZMA/CSP3/ZP3 in order to get the most bang for the buck?

I suspect it would be working the inputs  starting with the source ZP3=>CSP3=>ZMA, only  then looking at the outputs.  Or would you roll the ZP3 inputs and outputs before moving to the CSP3/ZMA?

What is your take?

Thanks

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #64 - 02/19/15 at 18:05:50

I can't comment on the ZP3. I do have a Vinyl Rig though in my SS System. One day, maybe a ZP3 for me too.

I would work the inputs as you can see I have done, with the Telefunken an Nationals. I am pleased with the results. I have the ZDSD coming in to run direct to my ZMA. However, I love my CSP3 with my Telefunken as input tube. Will see how direct vs. through CSP3 sounds.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #65 - 02/20/15 at 14:02:06

Farmboss, I did try the pair of my Tele's (listed above) an my pair of National's in the outputs of the CSP3 an did not like the results. Those 6N1P's from Steve are awesome for outputs on this Pre. So, for me, it is the Tele for Input only on the CSP3 an my pair of National's (listed above) for Inputs A12 an B12 on my ZMA. I did try both pair's in the A12 an B12 too....but prefer the National's in the ZMA Inputs.

Kevin's Tubes at Upscale are worth it. He specializes in Input/Pre an Pre/Output for a reason...not Power Tubes. Pre tubes make the most difference for sure. But, of course it is a matter of taste/preference in that difference. The CSP3 an ZMA voiced and Tubed by Steve is wonderful as is. However, the shocking beauty an clarity of the Telefunken feeding the 6N1P's from Steve is awesome. Furthermore, the extended highs and even tighter Bass of the National's with a textured Midrange in the ZMA's A12 an B12 I love in conjunction with the Tele Tube in the CSP3 Input.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 02/20/15 at 14:21:34

Stone, if you like those stock Russian tubes Steve sends in the CSP3, you'll love those in the link below from a Russian Seller.  I believe they are older 1960's versions with triple Micas of the same type Steve uses.  Syd (Marky) and I both bought a pair and mine aren't going anywhere.  Shortly after, I changed the other Russian tube Steve sent to an Amperex 7308.  I can't remember which forum member turned Syd and I on to these tubes but they are great and worth the money and the wait.  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RAREST-MATCHED-BALANCED-PAIR-6N1P-E-military-boxed-a...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 02/20/15 at 17:39:25

funch turned us on to them Mark. Natural sound thats big and tries to wrap around at every opportunity if the album has great sonics, worth some experimentation in the single spot on the CSP. I`m so tube unsavvy that I thought all 3 tubes did the same job.
Now I`ve got the ZP3 down to  managable rolling combinations for now, I can address that 6dj8,7dj8,6n1p,6922 spot on the CSP.
Stones Tele is well worth a look.
On the other hand a quad would be nice as the Rachaels use them and I could free the Bugle Boys up....or just buy a B/Boy to try.
Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Leigh
Verified Member

Reply #68 - 02/21/15 at 22:51:01

Anyone roll EL34 (6CA7) tubes yet? If so, is there a characteristic sound difference with EL34's over the stock KT66's?

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #69 - 02/25/15 at 13:37:52

I am using Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z's now, only because they have been rocking it out in my Rachel for the past 6 months.  

I have been following along this thread and rolled 5881s and cryoed Gold Lion KT66's as output. 5881s were dang good (russian 6P3S-E coin base), but I had high expectations for the KT's.  Not so much.  I hit reset with outputs and tried rolling the Tele's and the Nationals from Upscale as drivers.  Tele's were thin and too focused on top end for me.  To be fair, I only gave them about 40 hours, so I need to revisit.  Nationals were lush, but not a great combo with the KT66s.  Finally went back to the 6N23P and have been pretty satisfied.

I decided to retry the output rolling.  I got a matched quad of the shuguang 6CA7-Z's, and I was shocked.  They are truly amazing in the extension of both ends, as well as their clarity and presence.  No harshness on the highs.  Liquid, deep and real.  You know the moment when you exhale and just get absorbed in the music.  These tubes brought me there.  For the past week, I can't wait to turn on the ZMA each day and listen.  It is the sound I had been hoping for from the Mystery amp.

My next attempt will be the Shuguang treasure KT88-Z.  May take a few weeks to ship.

In case you're wondering about whether the setup is impacting the tubes, I'm running ZDAC to ZMA to level 3 Anticables to Klipsch KLF-30s (rebuilt Xovers and Ti tweeter diaphragm).  

Try these 6CA7-Zs out.  They're pretty awesome.

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 02/25/15 at 13:41:55

Cool. I have fallen in love with the KT66 sound in my Toriis so I probably won't move back to the 6CA7 sound but I bet these are good, and there's a lot of great listening with that tube type I bet in the ZMA (I know there is in the Toriis, I listened to several brands for a few years it seems).

I must say though that in my recent experiencee cryo'd Gold Lion KT66 took over 100 hours to really became what they promise to be and even more to really season and become jaw-dropping.  If you can stand to break them in further you may find they sound better than they have. If not, I bet you could sell a quad here pretty easily. . . .

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #71 - 02/25/15 at 13:54:17

Thanks for the recommendation, Lon.  I'll take you up on it.  Given the positive reviews all around I need to give the Gold Lions a better shot at it. After weeks of rolling, it's just hard to think about changing right now from the 6CA7s the sound is so phenomenal.

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 02/25/15 at 13:57:10

I totally understand that! I have a great tube complement in my main system right now and am loathe to change one single part of it. I did roll a pair of Hytron OB2 tubes in place of RCA OA2 tubes and the sound was so . . . not right. . . with this complement that within 4 hours they were out and the RCA was back. It's amazing how each tube type is vital in these revealing amps, and synergy once found is hard to tamper with!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 02/25/15 at 13:59:17

Wow, the ZMA has been out a year plus! What a fast year that was in so many ways. (Mine speeded up wildly the minute Lucinda stepped into my life in May). Here it is about to be bumped from "new amp" status by the Torii Mk V.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 02/25/15 at 14:03:45

That's great BVictor.  I'm using PSVANE 6ca7-t in my Torii III and just can't take them out.  I completely agree with your well written description.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 02/25/15 at 14:54:05

OK,  I'm curious...where did you buy these...russian 6P3S-E coin base.  Tell me more.  Thinking of these for a Torii mK IV.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #76 - 02/26/15 at 01:44:02

Can we run KT-88's?   I though KT-77 was the limit.  Or more to the point what is available that would give max output?

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 02/26/15 at 16:40:15

Steve wrote KT88 as an alt tube in the ZMA manual.  

You can get the coin base 5881 (6P3S-E from Saratov plant)  from www.cryoset.com   ($32.99 for a cryoed mached pair).

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 02/26/15 at 16:44:17

bvictor,  after doing a google search, I found that yesterday.  If I buy them that's where I'll go.  Thanks,  Mark.

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #79 - 02/26/15 at 16:59:04

Hey Mark,  I think they are excellent tubes for the price, in fact I bought a second quad just in case they begin to run out of stock.  After hearing them a friend of mine in DC bought a quad as well.  Hope you like them.  Brian

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 02/26/15 at 17:41:51

Brian,  I just ordered a Quad.  There were very few available on ebay and no quads and no US sellers.  Jim McShane that used to have them according to older threads else where also has none.  I also ordered a cryoed version of the valve arts 274b that I use in my CSP3.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 02/26/15 at 19:41:51

Couldn`t resist it  :)
Been doing a lot of research on them.
Mainly positive.
My Tesla EL 34`s will get their r`n`r.

ps I think it`s that seller that has some with whopping great bases. Maybe not the E suffix.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 02/26/15 at 19:48:28

Syd,  this time you followed me.  Let's hope they sound good.  They are circa 1980's NOS Russian Military tubes and I've found more good than bad impressions on the internet.  Prior to researching these, I was going to buy the 6L6GC reissues Lon bought from cryoset for $95 that he likes.  Hope I made the right choice because I don't think I'll be buying anymore power tubes soon.  Let me add that there will be a 50 to 100 hour burn in period before everything gels according to other users.  Mark.

PS...the ones with the coin bases are supposed to be much better sounding than the larger black bases.

PSS...Syd,  I emailed Alex, our Russian seller, to ask if he had these...he did not have any more of them.  Of course he said the two other types he had were better...yeah right!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 02/26/15 at 20:17:41

Twin flying saucer getters Mark !
Thanks for the 50-100 hrs burn in info, I glossed over that.
Cant think what I fancied as a second quad. Oh thats right I was toying with the idea of KT 66`s or the ones that are ok, 77`s 88`s. I always have to refer back to the Rachael info page.
Syd.

Ps I hope you get yours by the Fall.  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 02/26/15 at 20:28:27

LOL Syd,  in this case, with a US seller using the US Postal Service, I should get them within a week...not over two months.  I did find a Russian site that sold them for $11 but I think it's money well spent to get them Cryo treated from a US Seller for $16.50 each. Mark.

PS...when I bought the Torii MK IV, I ordered it with the Tung Sol KT-66 but when I bought a used pair of RFT EL-34s, I loved the sound so much better that they have never come out.  I have come to the conclusion that I need to give the KT-66s a fair trial someday.  I doubt they're even broken in.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 02/26/15 at 20:58:12

They`ll have to be good to better the old Teslas.
Hope mine get out of the Ukraine ok.
Syd

You`ve not had a look at the Emission Labs 5u4 mesh ?
It`s on my bucket list.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 02/26/15 at 21:10:40

Syd,  you bought them from a Ukrainian seller?...mmm.  I've found 2 Russian sellers who sell them for 11 or 12 dollars...not on ebay.  Mark.

PS...I think I read about that rectifier in someone's "Rectifier Shoot Out"...maybe on headfi.  I won't spend that much on rectifiers.

PSS...when I initially looked on ebay, I must have used the wrong name for these tubes because when I looked just now there are lots of sellers...including many from the Ukraine.  But mine will be cryoed...hehe.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 02/26/15 at 23:06:04

Well Damn,  Ron at cryoset just emailed me that they are out of the Russian tubes I ordered. He is offering a 10% discount if I order something else.  I'll have to think about this.  

Syd,  give me the link where you bought yours, please.  I may wait and see how you like them. Oh well,  that's what I get for waiting. Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 02/27/15 at 17:45:04

Hi Mark, funeral duty today, long drives + a nap when I got back.
We`re still in the ZMA thread but common tubes . I checked Rons site before I bought and thought you had bought these leaving one or two quads available.
Heres the link, double the postage of the 6n1p-E`s but twice the amount of tubes. Oh, Mark I think he`s out of them as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181620057977?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=S...
says he gives 5% discount for paypal ???
Syd

He has pairs available here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6P3S-E-6L6-6L6GT-Matched-Selected-Pair-Gold-Grid-NOS-N...

These look a good price, much better than mine, same tubes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6P3S-E-5881-6L6GC-Tubes-Gold-Logo-Gold-Grid-Lot-of-4-P...

Says he gives 5% discount for paypal ???
Syd

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #89 - 02/28/15 at 00:04:39

That last one says LOT of 4, not really matched quad. You might have to buy a few lots and match them up yourself.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 02/28/15 at 00:29:29

Syd, LR,  I'm not too wild about buying from these places but if I decide I want the tubes I may have to.  I think I may buy from a Russian tube seller and ask for tests to verify that I'm getting a matched quad...I have no way to test them myself.  Ron said he had gotten 400 of the tubes originally but quite a few were not usable, so I wouldn't want to buy from a foreign seller that doesn't test and match.  I would really prefer to buy from a US seller but I don't think that's possible now.  I'll do some digging around.  Might even get something different.  A used quad of RCA Black plate 6L6GCs went for $152 recently...a bit more than I'd like to pay...those are supposed to be real nice tubes.  

Syd, looking at those sites, it seems like a lot of these tubes have sold in the last 24 hours.  Who's buying these?  Besides Syd and Brian?  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 02/28/15 at 12:29:48

I really dont know Mark. I never checked for dates on the reviews I read. There might be a "buzz" floating around. Perhaps Ron at Cryoset gave a good review. I see he say`s his non-E version ( which he does have )has longer plates and is sweeter. Interesting LR mentioning the lot of four not garaunteed as matched. Got to agree there. Does the Decware self biasing match them up, and if NIB how far out could they be ?
I`ve come down to earth now I`ve bought them. Should I really be thinking £9ea V £50ea Teslas is a fair shoot out ? No I wont be comparing. It`ll be a different presentation, and at this moment in time thats as far as it goes. I`ll be running them on a cd loop daytime and taking them out in the evening. As much as I`d like to hear them burning in I cant afford giving up quality litening time.
Syd.

I`ve seen a nos pair from 1963 and a nos quad from 1981. Dont know what mine are.
The original photo you posted in `Whats spinning` is still there with sets available. I would have bought those but didn`t see them as you have to scroll down miles to the international sellers. Moldovia, Romania, etc.
I wonder what compatible  Russian tube will pop up next.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 02/28/15 at 14:56:10

Syd, the reviews I read except for those here were from years ago...I think.  To me the difference in price means very little.  Of course there are rather arbitrary limits to what I will pay...seems to change from day to day.  Like most things, it's a matter of supply and demand...and so far the demand for the NOS 80's Russian tubes isn't high enough to have caused the supply to become scarce, at least in former USSR countries.  If you read Joe's Tube Lore you'll see some of the prices he occasionally quotes...if only we could get those tubes for the prices back then..late 90's I believe.  His review probably had a hand in popularizing and making known many of the tubes he reviewed. Even the tubes you and I bought from Alex in Russia, have gone up $6 since our purchases, maybe due to those who bought after reading our praises.

My interest in the 6L6 type power tubes was to find a warmer presentation than the RFT EL-34s.  In recent reading I was coming to realize that included in all the traits I love about these tubes there is also an extended or pronounced high end that I don't particularly enjoy with quite a few recordings.  To tell you the truth though, since my experiments with resistors in the HR-1s this issue is becoming less important.  I may cool my jets on trying new power tubes for now.  I may pop in the KT-66s I already have to see what most people here are raving about...as I've learned with time, I probably hadn't even broken them in properly.  I will await others impressions of these coin based Russian Military power tubes and would definitely try them if a US seller stocked matched Quads for a reasonable price.  Mark.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 02/28/15 at 18:01:05

Mark, Considering your criteria of warm with less top end, this tube may just work in your MKIV. In mine, I find it is warm and wettish, but with quite open and clear mids and top...they have an open lushness that is mellower than the RFTs, smoother up top, but still lucid. The Genalex KT66s are drier, less lush and perhaps a little step further into bass warmth, but similar mids warmth. The Genalex also have a bit less liquid upper mids, even a little bit tinselly by comparison...at least in this room, with this tube set, and the treble knob wide open. Mazda GZ32, Sylvania 40s OB3, Mullard E88CC, British 75C1. This is what I searched on Ebay when I got mine.

6P3S-E

I think I will leave them in for a while to re-explore! They sound really good here.

For what it is worth, I got them from this seller in Ukraine

http://stores.ebay.com/svetlanaukraine/_i.html?rt=nc&_pgn=3&_ipg=48

The tubes were good and everything went well. I can't recall exactly, but I am pretty sure I was after 80's tubes with gold grids...maybe some review recommended them??? If the reflector diamond and numbers are dates, mine seem to be 80 and 89, but with exactly the same construction. I think they were listed as 80s and I asked for a matched quad before buying. I would guess he may be able to give you specific matched dates too. Mine were about 60 delivered. I see he has some that look to be from the 60s for more $....I wonder what those would sound like?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 02/28/15 at 18:30:11

Will,  I had been researching those for a while when I posted here for some user impressions.  Brian had them and really liked them.  The day before, I knew they were available in matched cryoed quads from Cryoset but didn't pull the trigger until Brian's endorsement. Unfortunately Brian decided to buy what would turn out to be the last Quad Ron had available...the Bastard...hehe.  So now I'm reconsidering.  It is very helpful to have had fellow forum members who have bought from and had a good experience with a foreign seller.  I'm always reluctant otherwise. My exchange was in the ZMA tube rolling thread even though I have a Torii MK IV as you do. Thanks,  Mark

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 02/28/15 at 22:08:41

OK, I did it!  I bought the 6P3S-E tubes...  two pair of 60's tubes from the Photon Plant and a Quad of those reflectors from the Saratov plant from the 70's....from the seller Will bought from.  I hope they're good because I could have had that RCA Black Plate Quad for what I paid. The search is over...for now. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181300188954?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STR...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171604076434?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STR...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171604080168?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STR...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 03/01/15 at 01:42:56

Well that is digging in Mark! If they are similar to these 80s Reflektors, I am guessing they may be what you are after...I hope so...of the tubes I have they are similar/closest to the RFT sound, but notched back a bit, nicely so to me...sort of between the EL34s and KT66.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 03/01/15 at 01:58:20

Will, the reflektors I bought are like yours only they were manufactured in '71, '77, '77 and '78...all have the same test values.  Now the others where made in the 60's in the Photon plant that preceded the Saratov Plant where the Reflektors were made.  The seller said they were better so I thought I'd give them a shot.  I tried to get him to come off his price but the best he'd do is combine shipping at $23.  We'll see how they play in the Torii but sounds like after break in they should be at least good if not great. The tubes Cryoset still has the ones with out the E and big bases, are from the late 80's and aren't supposed to be as good. I've been looking at what he has so I can take advantage of his 10% discount but don't see anything I'd want right now except the Valve Art 274B that can wait...I've got two from Steve. Mark.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 03/01/15 at 04:13:12

Sounds good. Seems with tubes, earlier is very often better. Hope they fit in your system!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 03/04/15 at 11:57:19

Tubes arrived today Mark. It`s noon. I`ll put them in in half hour after coffee. They look nice, shorter than EL34`s.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print