Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 14:10:12 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet? (Read 84573 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Anyone Tube Roll with the ZMA yet?
Reply #250 - 12/29/17 at 19:35:28

Norm wait!  ;D

I will know in 3 months if I'm selling my 6P's and 5 months if I'm selling my ZROCK2.

Probably not on both counts.....but, you never know with me.  ;D

Below? Not for sale.  

.......here is my order of Listening (keeping each scenario in one to two weeks at a time):

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Platinum Mullard pair (Cryo'd) 7308/E188CC ....as inputs/ZMA

ZMA direct from ZDSD with Platinum Ediswan pair (Cryo'd) CV2492/6922 ....as inputs/ZMA

Audio Research LS-2B/single Plat' Mullard 7308/E188CC (Cryo'd) to Plat' Tungsram pair PCC88/7DJ8 ...inputs/ZMA.

Previous Decware Amplifier's/I have owned/Purchased new:

SE84CS (#76 Zen Select/you see in my original Signature below/I used for 13 years/2001 till 2014)
Torii MkIII
SuperZen CKC
CSPreamplifier3 w/Jupiter Caps

Using impressive Decware PAC-S(ilver), for DishNetwork HD/DVR RCA output for SeriusXM Sat Radio & TV.

***ZMA, updated with robust Western Electric Bias/Balance Meter's and new Resistor's ~ Feb/17

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & my Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC ~.5 meter

Shunyata Research Zitron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD {Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the Curb quite a few superb DAC'S
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.5 meter

Audio Research Stereo Line Stage Amplifier w/remote volume & mute LS-2B MkII
NOS Platinum/Mullard 7308/E188CC / Cryogenic

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030 ~.75 meter

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *56* mA~
NOS/Platinum/Mullard E188CC/7308's in my A12 an B12 Input positions Cryogenic~NOS/Platinum/Telefunken E88CC for Inverter Tubes~NOS RCA 0A3's & matched Quad/Tung-Sol KT66's

ZMA adjusted at  60-80% Gain ~ when ARC Line Stage is in, running via Remote Control

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades
Kimber 8TC new/white & clear jacket/to remind me of how fluid/timbre correct and good the KS6063 are
Also Read.....the lowest noise floor you will ever witness....that a $5180 pair of speaker cables should have....and they do.....(I was fortunate to get them for $2680/Demo pair/mint, from the CableCo....worth every penny/extraordinary realism.....)

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....enjoying from 8 ohm ZMA Taps

Caintuck Audio Eminence Alpha 15" OB BASS Unit
at 53Hz, with my Velodyne CHT 130 watt plate amp and 0 degree phase.....at 1/6 volume on plate
Plate Amp....regen'd clean ~ plugged into P3
Auralex Subdude (a must)
(NOTE: Only needed when the recording calls for...Open Baffle Bass has been the best integration I have witnessed when needed and called on)

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cord to ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ARC Line Stage and ZDSD, Regenerated/*120*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output).

~NOS Platinum Tubes from Upscale Audio/Kevin:

(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(Germany) Telefunken 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair (painfully expensive/worth it)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair.

From Cryoset:
(Russia) 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

(Russia) 6N23P's ~ 2 pair/came with ZMA.    

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #251 - 12/29/17 at 20:56:25

Norm, Archie & Jeff (pulled this over from my previous posts/CDaPS thread....to continue the conversation here):

Jeff, great to know/bias at 64 with KT88's.

Now, I have KT88, 6P3S-E (NOW OWN), Psvane EL34PH's and RFT EL34's to decide on........ . Or, two out of four/I can swing.

I can wait...Jeff, do let us know more of your impressions on the Psvane EL34PH's.....meant to be/you got um......for ZMA.

I know Jeff, you have TJ Full Music KT88's (and you're returning/receiving an defective one, back to China).

I'm considering the KT88's from Psvane:
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/treasure-kt88-z-cb-cobalt-blue-bo...
these ship out of Canada....so can deal with them easier and customs vs. China......180 day warranty on these

....then we have the EL34 replica's....Jeff can comment on....
http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/psvane-philips-holland-metal-base...

the RFT's in my sights...also on ebay....but no warranties
http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/product/rft-el34/

Also....the PS KT88's are in the running:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/KT88-Tube-Types/Preferred-Series-KT88

Uncle Kevy too:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=preferred+series+KT88&view=detail&mid=CCBE1...

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #252 - 12/29/17 at 22:05:58

Gotta love Kevin.  'nuff said.

The Gold Lions are do-able at $60 each, but the RFT EL34's are most intriguing but at $95 each, I think I'll let others on this forum with more experience give them a whirl and then I will copy-cat.  For now, it will be hard to part with the 6P3S-E's.

Roll 'em!

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #253 - 12/29/17 at 22:08:21

Oh yeah, I'm digging what Kev said/if you watch the video, about the top air of the Lion KT88's (not to be confused with Gold Lion KT66's).

.....I'm a top air crazy person Grin

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #254 - 12/29/17 at 22:13:10

We have some great experience from Mark (I trust), about the RFT's
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1513011646/38#38

Jeff (I trust), pending about the EL34PH Psvane Replica's.

....and I might wing it on Cryo'd Gold Lion KT88's from Kev.
(well, I should not say wing it...I have 7 pair of Kevin's NOS Platinum 6922 tube variants for 2 years now....love them)
.....the 6N23P...put edge to the Tung-Sol KT66's....NOT my 6922 variants.

Oh and PS-if you grow a pair and are not thin skinned .....Kevin, whom I speak to on the phone direct....is pretty cool. I negotiated and bought my Acoustic Zen Adagio's from him. However, it was my doing of course to modify them and make them great.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #255 - 12/29/17 at 22:35:22

I would have to look but pretty sure I could lend out a mint nos quad of RFT el34's and or listened to quads of psvane el34 6ca7z and 6ca7t / 5881. I would just have to find them in my tube stash. Let me know.

JD

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #256 - 12/29/17 at 22:39:46

Sign me up JD! I would love to try a quad or both.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #257 - 12/30/17 at 04:33:44

PM sent JD, thanks!

Cryoset has the KT88 Gold Lions/cryo'd of course. Judging by the rock solid bias/MATCHING of the quad of 6P's and quality I just received...I'll  be getting these GL KT88's from Ron at Cryo and great price!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #258 - 12/30/17 at 07:10:23

You betcha Stone!  I am getting some hours under my belt on these 6P's from Cryoset, but definitely plan to roll the PSvane EL34PH's in soon.  

Also, as mentioned in another thread, I have a matched quad of RFT EL34's landing on Tuesday.  

So, my work is cut out for me.  Get both the PSvanes, and RFT's in the ZMA for a test run and subsequent commentary.  As if this is really work...ha! Smiley

And yes, unfortunately my beloved TJ Full Music KT88's are back for replacement, but thank goodness for the LONG 1 year warranty!  I have plenty of other tubes to roll while those are replaced so won't be a painful wait by any stretch.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #259 - 12/30/17 at 10:40:09

I opted for a.quad of Cryoset Gold Lion KT66 tubes.  Received them yesterday from Ron, and started he burn in process earlier today.  Initial imprrssions - tubes are dead quiet and detail retrieval is amazing using Tidal streaming via my Lonely Raven PC and ZDAC2 DAC.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #260 - 12/30/17 at 15:26:31

Jeff & HK, just what I wanted to read.

JD, is to send/loan me a couple quads: RFT EL34's & Psvane EL34's!

Enjoying my 6P's and seasoning in. I look forward to getting these others from JD and will order the GL KT88's from Ron.

Jeff, I know right? ....this is not work....shear enjoyment + NOS input tube rolling!

Keep the updates coming in due time....as we get to compare notes.  

ZMA RULES.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #261 - 12/30/17 at 15:36:43

I just put in a quad of Cryosat TAD KT66’s in place of my 6P3S’s. My first impression is the bass is much deeper and stronger. My wife noticed it immediately. The highs are good and clear with good air. But the midrange is not as clear or strong as the 6P3S’s. I’ll give them some time, but I may go back to the 6P3S’s, most certainly to listen again. If I never heard the 6P3S’s I’d be delighted with the TAD KT66’s.

I see several of you are using KT88’s, but they are not on Steve’s alternate list on the ZMA web page. I’m still a novice at tube rolling, so can someone educate me on how you figured these were compatible in the ZMA?

Looking to hear Jeff’s impressions of the RFT EL34’s as I am guessing they will be close to the 6P3S’s.

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #262 - 12/30/17 at 15:42:26

I use TAD KT66 from cryoset in my Torii Mk III and I find that the midrange does open up with some use. These cyro'd tubes sometimes take longer to breakin than others. I have tried three different KT66: Tung-Sol, Gold Lion and TAD, all from cryoset.com. I definitely like the Tung-Sol the least, and the TAD the best. It's close between the TAD and the Gold Lion. I like the treble better with the TAD.

Of course this is the Torii Mk III and not the ZMA but the tube characteristics should reveal themselves very similarly. And with the ZROCK2 I can make any of the three tube sets I have on hand (TAD KT66, the coin-based Russkies, and the JJ 6CA7) work well. I prefer the JJ 6CA7 when I have a quad that behaves, but can live with either of the three happily.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #263 - 12/30/17 at 15:47:24

????
Norm, if you roll up in that thread connect I gave you....to connect with Mark58....you will learn about the KT88 and to bias at 64. You're welcome by the way.  8-)

I look forward to what you mention Lon....with the ZROCK2 adjustment to my output tube collection....that looks like it will grow to match my NOS Platinum input tube collection.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #264 - 12/30/17 at 16:06:58

Yeah, you're going to have fun. My goal actually is not to rotate and adjust different complements of tubes but to find one set that I can anchor my system on. I've been doing the rotating just to explore what the ZROCK2 does to the system. Frankly it's a great partner to my ZTPRE in being the heartbeat of the system. The ZTPRE is the best preamp I've ever heard, bar none, and really is as Steve says: the preamp that really doesn't seem to be there only it makes the music sound better. (Ironically I may have found my way back to preferring the 6N1P in the ZTPRE and the Torii Mk III, these are now besting some pretty fine NOS tubes). The ZROCK2 is the opposite: it's there and you know it colors the sound subtly or broadly and you can then make adjustments almost as if you were a mastering engineer.  

I wish I could center the amplifier with the JJ 6CA7 as tonally that has the best balance intrinsically for my system and also great dynamics and detail. It's unfortunate that after I got centered on them I and others found many to be unreliable, failing way too early. My next set will probably be another set of TAD KT66. They have had shocking longevity and really good sound, and with the ZROCK2 I know I can bring out their best.

You're in for a treat with the ZROCK2. The three Z Amigos I've added to my system, the ZTPRE, ZBIT and ZROCK2 have all exceeded my expectations and really floored me.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #265 - 12/30/17 at 16:24:33

Stone:

Thanks for the reminder. But I am still confused. Mark said “the KT88’s biased at 64”, but what does that mean for a ZMA where we can set the bias anywhere we want?  I have my KT66’s at 50 and I’m not as happy as I was with the 6P3S’s at 50.

I’m on the steep part of the learning curve, but having a blast.

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #266 - 12/30/17 at 16:43:28

Hi Norm,
Mark has a Torii. I have KT88's in my ZMA biased at 64ma.  That is the lowest biased setting I could get these KT88's to sit with the adjustment knobs, but these tubes are designed to handle higher power than KT66's, EL34's, etc.  

I know the ZMA manual suggests no higher than 50-60ma, but you will have no issues even going up to 70ma with these tubes in the ZMA, and you won't hurt the amp or the tubes.  These KT88's are designed to operate at up to 100ma, but not suggested for the ZMA due to the strain on the power supply transformers.  Steve runs these in his ZMA at times as well, and that is what he had in place during this year's Decfest.  I believe his won't bias under 70ma if I recall.  

They are not listed on the website or manual as an option for the ZMA outputs, but I assure you that you can run them in this ZMA - it is perfectly fine.  And they sound phenomenal!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #267 - 12/30/17 at 16:52:59

Jeff:

Thanks for the clarification and reply. Now I get it.

Hmm. Now I neeed to decide whether to spring for GL KT88’s or RFT EL34’s or be content with my 6P3s’s. Nice problem to have.

Norm

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #268 - 12/30/17 at 17:54:47

As far as biasing the ZMA high, a couple years ago Steve told me that he biased high, which pushed the output transformers hard.  However, since he owns the repair shop he wasn't worried if he burned something out.  At that time he didn't recommend high biasing generally,  He may have modified his position given time but I would monitor the temperature of the transformers when running high bias.

I ran a quad of Tung Sol EL34s in my ZMA and I found them similar to the 6P3Ss.  I went back to the 6P3Ss though.  My guess would be that the KT88s would give the most difference, if that's what you're after.

If the 6P3Ss are in fact bass shy (which I haven't noticed) the ZROCK2 should help.  Waiting ...   Cool

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #269 - 12/30/17 at 18:14:06

And listening habits matter as well, if you are running the ZMA a couple hours a day, 5 days a week, the strain on the transformers are much different that 6 hours a day, 7 days a week.  

In general, heat takes its toll.  I am comfy running these KT88s at 64ma.  Biasing can have a noticeable impact on sound.  For example, KT88s, like 6550s, are designed to handle high current.  I have read about other peoples' experience with these tubes where they run them at 100ma and noticed a difference with them turned down in he 80s range.  Of course this 100ma biasing was not with a Decware amp, but large current swings can/will change the voicing with certain tubes.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #270 - 12/30/17 at 19:54:22

This may have already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I just read in the ZMA manual that KT88s are listed as a tube substitute for the amp.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #271 - 12/31/17 at 01:11:37

Archie:  You are absolutely correct. I just checked the ZMA manual myself and the KT88's are listed as alternatives; I missed that earlier. I asked Steve about using them and I just received this reply from the Zen Master himself when I asked him about using KT88's and biasing:

"As you go beyond 60 the heat increases a lot.  Also if it goes past 80 the amp will loose power.  Some KT88 will bias right around 60 but most won't.  I can modify the amp for KT88's instead of KT66 however, no problem."

As many on this forum have KT88's that bias at 64, it sound like they will certainly do fine. I'm not interested in getting my ZMA modified, but I may still try the GL KT88's with my stock configuration.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #272 - 12/31/17 at 01:22:50

That's interesting.  I guess if someone absolutely loved the KT88s it'd be worth having the amp biased that way.  I always default to what Steve thinks, so I'm with you in keeping my ZMA "stock."

When the ZMA was first introduced, Steve recommended biasing at 60ma.  (It is even shown at 60ma in the manual picture where he says to bias at 50ma.)  We had a discussion on the Forum regarding bias and transformer temperatures we were seeing.  I was worried that mine were running a little hot.  Around this time Steve set the recommended bias in the manual at 50ma.  I'm sure there is margin in all of this.  The highest transformer temperature that I measured was about 125 F while I think they are designed to run at 145 F.  I'm sure I'm a bit more conservative than I need to be.  I even installed a small fan behind my ZMA just to help with cooling.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #273 - 12/31/17 at 16:35:45

Alright gentlemen...  The PSvane EL-34PH's are in and warmin' up!!

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #274 - 12/31/17 at 20:27:58

i'm wondering that since the KT88's maybe a bias challenge for the ZMA, should I get the GL KT66's or the GL KT77's?  Anyone with experience with the KT77's vs KT66's vs KT88's?

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #275 - 01/01/18 at 15:43:50

YES, definitely want to read about those PH's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #276 - 01/01/18 at 15:51:17

I have been going back and forth between my TAD KT66's and 6P3S's and I find that the KT66's have a much more punchy bass but the midrange seems a tad restrained.  The 6P3S's have plenty of bass and crystal-clear midrange (vocals, guitar, piano).  I'm sticking with the 6P3S's for everyday listening (for now..)

However, never being satisfied, I ordered some RFT EL34’s and should have them mid-month...

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #277 - 01/01/18 at 19:59:56

The 6P's are the best 60 bucks I have ever spent on Tubes. No want to yank them at all.

I'm springing for the GL KT88's from Ron and have no qualms about biasing at 64 or 70 where Steve had them at Decfest.

Look forward (no hurry) to reading more about the 88's from HK & Jeff on the 34PH's.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #278 - 01/02/18 at 00:12:22

Stone, I'm glad to hear that.  They really are a bargain.  I think there are plenty out there too.  I have a couple non-cryo'd quads from a Russian seller and they sound the same as Ron's to me.  That said, Ron's are one of the best deals on these tubes.

I'm looking forward to your impressions on the KT88s.  That's a tube I'm tempted to try other than the JJ 6CA7s (I think) that Lon likes in his Torii (other than the tube life problems they seem to have).

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #279 - 01/03/18 at 13:50:32

You bet Archie.

First up, before the GL KT88's:

Continue with the 6P's....wonderful blooming midrange with taunt bass too

JD SENT ME Psvane 34PH's & RFT 34's

....coming Friday (approx)!

My budget is shot for 2018, after the KT88's & potentially PH's or RFT's + my ZROCK2 balance.  Can I complain.....NO. Nor would I.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #280 - 01/05/18 at 13:54:08

I have my Ediswans in for inputs, Norm. These past 11 days, approx. 75 to 80 hours....I've been running my Mullard E188CC/7308's with the 6P output quad. Talk about blooming midrange to blooming midrange... . Edi's are warming up! .....Edi's as we know, are special in their own right...but more than just subtle/differences to my NOS Plat' Mull's.

JD sent me....might have today(?):

"I sent the psvane 5881, closer match to the 6sp3 you guys have been trying. Curious to see what you think.  I've had the RFT in for longer than the 5881's but was surprised at the nice sound the 5881's produced.

Enjoy.

JD"

Arch, .....my ZROCK2, is in Quality Control now! .....getting closer.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #281 - 01/05/18 at 14:03:31

The 5881’s are incredibly cheap at $75/matched quad.
http://www.tube-sale.com/index.php/tubes/psvane-standard-tube/psvane-hifi-5881/

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #282 - 01/05/18 at 14:14:34

Nice! Now, that is a price I like!

Hope, their is a difference between them and the Reflector 6P's (for me)....and hear which ones I prefer or both. I know input wise...I could not be without my Mullard E188CC/7308 or the Ediswans (why I have two pair each of them).

....and I am running my ZMA direct from ZDSD with Platinum Ediswan pair (Cryo'd) CV2492/6922 ....as inputs.

My Audio Research Line Stage only goes in when I want very serious SLAM/DENSITY. The ZMA is a whole other beast with this FET Hybrid single tube Line Stage (I use my Mullard).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #283 - 01/05/18 at 20:11:47

First with my Mullard's and now with my Ediswan's.....Nice PRaT and midrange, these 6PS3-E's.

I think they have a little more giddy-up in the PRaT department than the KT66 Tung-Sol's. I'm also enjoying some more output/volume knob on my Caintuck OB, relative to the KT66's as well, via the wonderful sensitivity of this 15" Driver..... .

Time to crack one....0 degree's outside.....68 on the inside!
http://bauhausbrewlabs.com/our-beer

.....having a Sky - Five! IPA.....with my Tunes.
All, have a great weekend.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #284 - 01/05/18 at 20:41:14

Ha!  Ill be right behind you there Stone on the "kick-off the weekend" brew.  A little toastier here at 73 degrees though  8-)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #285 - 01/05/18 at 21:02:57

Have a nice weekend! I don't enjoy alcohol but just made myself a nice mug of organic Mexican medium roast coffee to enjoy after walking the brave Fiona in the 2 degree snowy weather.

Disc 2 of this favorite spinning now. . . .

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #286 - 01/05/18 at 21:35:36

Got 18 inches of snow and it's -10 windchill here but I'm not complaining...Why did I ever leave LA? In Minnesota I think they call this spring. Trying to listen to tunes but my amps are just not really cooperating at the moment. Not sure if it's a power issue, amp issue or speaker issue...tough to narrow down. I appreciate buying products from people that you can talk to and help you with trouble shooting, can't wait for all to be back to normal.
Having a Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin and watching some FA cup to relax.
Lon, my favorite coffee in the world is from the state of Oaxaca, Mexico absolutely delicious!

Stay warm fellas

JD

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #287 - 01/05/18 at 23:17:42

Jeff, fire up that evening Beer!

Lon, I/you don't need to drink to have a good time. Most of my best Listening sessions are with coffee.

JD, YES, that is a MN Spring. You Sir, I thank you, the Tubes arrived amid all this weather chaos! I will get to a Quad tomorrow morning with a mug of Pikes Place. .....my son works in Boston.....later in the year .....he hopes Boston does not see those temps and storms for a few years ....even though being from MN.

.....all kidding aside JD.... Hope you find your system issue quick and you're experiencing a MN winter not MN Spring. Thanks again for loaning me these two Quads.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #288 - 01/05/18 at 23:39:07

Craft beverages and music are made for each other.  Whether it's coffee (woot woot!!), beer, wine, spirits, or anything else...  it's just enjoyable to sip while you listen.  

Speaking of that, Lon, Ill send you a PM.  I have an idea that might help pull some of my coffee customers over to view the FB page in some type of collaborative post.  

Right now, have a the PSvane EL-34-PH's warmed up, listening to a nice blues playlist on Qobuz (yeah, you read that right...  I used a work around to get it streaming despite being in the U.S.)  and the ZMA/Hegeman combo is in harmony.  I put the Hegeman's back in for a bit as I did some furniture shifting in the room and had to re-position them.  TGIF!  Cheers, ya'll!  

P.S.:  Damn, that first one went down easy Smiley

IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #289 - 01/06/18 at 01:51:11

Here is what I have and where I am headed:
Chinook Preamp       ECC189 Mullard. maybe Amperex 7308
ZTPre               7308 Amperex
ZMA Input               CV2492 Ediswan
ZMA Inverter       E88CC Telefunken
ZMA Power (In Order of Preference)      
     6P3S-E 6L6GC Reflector
     KT66 TAD Matched Quad from Cryosat
     KT66 TungSol Matched Quad (Stock)
     EL34 RFT Siemans NOS Quad (on order)
     PSVANE HIFI 5881: Matched Quad (on order)

Comments and reflections most welcome

OPPO Sonica DAC
Panasonic DP-UB820
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #290 - 01/06/18 at 15:11:15

Great that they arrived Stone, hope you enjoy them.

JD

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #291 - 01/06/18 at 16:31:29

Hey guys, I have never encountered this?

I cannot get the 8 pin RFT EL34's or the 6 pin Psvane 5881's into the sockets of my ZMA? I mean it is soooo tight....I'm not willing to force them in obviously....and even if I could get them down in....hell, I would not be able to get them out. ....of course, I have the grove slot in right....I use a light to see it.

I have had three quads of 7 pin KT66 (3) in and out of my ZMA....and the 6 pin 6PS3-E's, come in and out with no problem. I have tried two different ZMA sockets and a couple tubes each. All tubes and ZMA are at room temperature.....and sockets are fine (using an LED Flashlight to see down in them)....my 6P Reflectors are back in and warming up.

Once, again....the fit is so tight for the RFT EL34's....that the pins can't even go halfway in? ....the Psvane 5881's, make it 2/3rd's in....that is all....both types come to a dead STOP....don't force me mode??!  

I don't think any type of audio lubricant spray would help....these sockets are so tight?    I don't know what to do?

I don't need CAIG or TPC XLO....they are spotless clean sockets...but these might serve as a loosening lube?  .....but....I don't want loose socket inner tines?

Glad I have these on gracious loan from JD and I HAVE NOT ORDERED 8 PIN Gold Lion KT88's!

Possible solution? ....I do have an pair of Audio Art EL34's I can grab one to loosen up the inner gold tines of the sockets. I have this pair, because I had a Pair of Steve's EL34 mono-blocks in many years ago for audition...and one of the tubes he sent, went out. The only tube I have ever had go out...I was able to drive to a local audio store...that actually had these Audio Art EL34's to continue my audition...that same day!

..............................anyway, I digress.....would I really want to loosen the sockets up as I stated/in this manner?    

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #292 - 01/06/18 at 17:32:32

Stone,
That is really bizarre and I am at a loss here.  I received my RFT EL-34's earlier in the week and I just popped one in with no problem to see.   I have rolled in 3 different sets of EL-34's and all slid in easily.  The pattern of the pins is exactly the same between all of these tube types, just a different number of pins.  Can you see a physical difference in the circumference of the tube pins between your 6P's and the RFTs and 5881's?  I assume you don't have a micrometer?

All of this is so strange.  Before cramming anything it, I would run it by Steve.  It maybe be the sockets need good break-in with a little elbow grease with these new tube types, but I would get his advice first, just in case.  Especially since your 6P's are treating you so well at the moment.  No rush, right?  ;)

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #293 - 01/06/18 at 17:36:10

Stone,

I'd be careful and not force em as to not do any damage to the sockets. Odd though.

JD

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #294 - 01/06/18 at 17:40:03

Jeff, yes, the pins all line up and to the naked eye, sans micrometer, the circumference looks the same on the tube pins and distance between.

I think I need to just elbow grease/break these sockets in (as I mentioned in my possible solution above and your mention Jeff), with a disposable tube....my Audio Art EL34's....lucky I have on hand....from my story above.

I wanted to read if anyone encountered such a tight fit as to make you scratch your head in disbelief?!

I will enjoy my 6P's today...and get to breaking in the sockets as described in a day or two. I will work one socket methodically and see how it goes.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #295 - 01/06/18 at 17:41:13

Yes JD, ....and not to harm your Tubes in any manner.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #296 - 01/06/18 at 17:52:45

Quote:
..............................anyway, I digress.....would I really want to loosen the sockets up as I stated/in this manner?    

Remember the pin straightener a few months back?  Steve warned against bent pins loosening up the sockets.  I'd be very careful "breaking in" the sockets.  I'd want to know first if the issue is the extra friction caused by extra pins or if the pin diameter of the new tubes was larger than the ones you've been using.  As Jeff said, check pin diameter with calipers before going too far.  It's amazing what an extra thousandth or so, times 9 can do.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #297 - 01/06/18 at 17:57:03

If I cause any damage to the first socket (or any subsequent socket), using my crash test dummy Audio Art EL34, 8 pin socket loosening endeavor? ............

.....I will have to return my ZMA to the Mother Ship for repair and to add XLR inputs....while Steve is under the Hood.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #298 - 01/06/18 at 17:59:31

YES! Thank you Archie.....SO NO GO for me on loosening the sockets.

The tube pin diameter's might be bigger?  I will investigate further.

Jeff's first suggestion of that issue and now you mentioning the pin straightener warning...........I will heed.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #299 - 01/06/18 at 18:08:40

All of the tube sockets on my various Decware are snug and require some "rocking/wiggling" as opposed to just pushing straight in and pulling straight out.  Is this what you have or much tighter?  Occasionally I wonder at the strength of the tube bodies given the forces involved for the smaller, nine pin tubes..

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print