Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:20:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 Directly Into Torii MKIII (Read 6183 times)
ellensdad
Verified Member

ZP3 Directly Into Torii MKIII
10/26/14 at 16:46:06

I recently aqcuired a MKIII and am attempting to pair it with an ARC SP10 for a phono only system. My cartridge is a DV 17D3 with an output of .3mv. Frankly, I think .3 is really pushing it with the SP10 (all tube gain). So far the results have been pretty poor. The SP10 doesn't seem to have enough oomph to drive the Torii. A cd player through the line stage sounds amazing. Maybe a higher output cartridge? I would really like to try and get the 10 to work but if not was wondering if anyone has had success running a ZP3 directly into the Torii?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZP3 Directly Into Torii MKIII
Reply #1 - 10/26/14 at 18:20:35

I have with delicious results! However the cartridges that I have used have an output of 7 to 8 mv. . . . My hunch is you would need the step-up transformer.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/14 at 18:45:35

Agree since yours is a moving coil cartridge it will need a greater boost check out the zp3 page for options.  I checked out your cart and with the diamond stylus it will sound amazing imo.  My cart is a moving magnet black ortofon but has a 5 mv output and a diamond stylus and the sound is great zp3 to the torii.

JD

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 10/27/14 at 21:44:59

Ellensdad- I was using a .3 mc cart into my ARC SP-11 and was not satisfied either. Bought a ZMC-1 step up from a forum member and that solved my problem. Ended up sell my ARC and my new ZP3 and Rachael will be delivered early this week (ZMC-1 > ZP3 > Rachael) should be pretty nice. I am trying to for go the pre-amp route if possible and if that doesn't work a CPS3 is in my future. Look into a step up, you'll be happy.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
ellensdad
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/14 at 23:36:31

Hrider, interesting. I assume you used the low output setting on the 11?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 10/29/14 at 12:58:37

I cart was actually 100 ohms straight into the 11, and when I rec'd the ZMC1 set it to 47K. That sounded the best, but …still decided on the ZP3 which I just rec'd yesterday along with the Rachael amp.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print