Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:59:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just Downloaded the Plans - Can't Wait To Start! (Read 1500 times)
tlarwa

Just Downloaded the Plans - Can't Wait To Start!
10/06/14 at 15:07:04

New forum member here ...
I've been wanting to build another set of speakers since completing my first build a couple years ago.  At that time I built a pair of Frugelhorn Mk3's, which turned out great.  While I liked them well enough (they imaged great), the little 4" full-ranger just didn't do it for me for all music.  I've been very interested in trying an OB design, but my listening room just isn't big enough to hold a pair of big baffles and position them far enough from the walls (my room is 12' x 19, with my equipment on the 12' wall).  After searching for something that would work for my space, and that was efficient enough to be driven by my rebuilt Fisher 400, I came across the ZOB's.  I've read everything I could find on these, and they seem like the perfect solution for me.  They will (hopefully) be replacing my modded Klipsch Forte II's.  
Right now, my plan is to load them with the TB W8-1808 drivers, based on the testing done in Steve's Part V paper.  While I'd love to go right for the FRX's, they are a little more than I want to spend (I'm all about great sound on a budget!).  I also plan to use 3/4" Baltic Birch ply for the cabinets, with 2 layers glued together for the baffle.  I've never veneered before, but may try it on the baffle for this build (how hard can it be? Roll Eyes).  
If anyone has any tips, suggestions, advanced warnings, etc. before I launch into this, I'm all ears.  
Thanks!
Tom (Lake Geneva, WI)

IP Logged
tlarwa

Let the questions begin
Reply #1 - 10/06/14 at 18:19:20

1.  Does anyone have a cut list and layout prepared that shows how to best utilize 4'x8' sheets of ply?  I assume 2 sheets will do it?
2.  Does everyone screw the baffle in place, as the plans suggest?  If so, how do you handle the fasteners so it looks good?  Do you screw it on and veneer over them?
3.  Has everyone used the copper foil and binding post method, or just run small gauge hook up wire directly from the driver to the terminals?  

Thanks!

IP Logged
tlarwa

Re: Just Downloaded the Plans - Can't Wait To Start!
Reply #2 - 10/07/14 at 15:32:52

Well, I learned how to attach the baffle ... thanks to Kimppe.  And I also read that 2 sheets of ply or mdf are needed, so I'm set there.  As for the wiring, I'll probably just run hook-up wire from the speaker terminals through the box and to the binding posts.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 10/10/14 at 00:48:45

Speaking of plywood, I chose the 13 ply Baltic birch, and I am glad that I did. I came up short because the sheets are 5'X5'. No problem, I had some 3/4" solid rosewood flooring that I made the back of the resonating chamber out of. For this project, I also used a polyurethane glue, and am glad that I did.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Got the wood cut ... It's game on!
Reply #4 - 10/26/14 at 23:49:42

Got all the pieces cut today.  I decided to use 18mm MDF for the cabinet.  I'll round the edges, seal and spray black.  I'm using 1-1/2" hard Maple butcher block for the baffles .... found some nice pieces from a local guy who makes butcher block tables.  It'll be heavy, but should look nice.  Unfortunately, I also ended up with 9 stitches from a bizarre kick-back incident on the table saw yesterday.  First injury in 20+ years of woodworking.  I guess it shows that you can never be too careful.  

More updates to come.  Still looking for a pair of W8-1808's .... anyone?

Tom

IP Logged
tlarwa

I'm making progress!
Reply #5 - 11/04/14 at 18:30:27

Got the cabinets done.  Still need to get the baffles cut for the drivers, and then seal and sand everything to get it ready for finishing.

IMG_3864.JPG
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Another pic...
Reply #6 - 11/04/14 at 18:31:29

of the back

IMG_3862.JPG
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 11/04/14 at 20:34:21

I think that your choice for the baffle is a great choice. I worked with maple for a few years making furniture, and it has a stability that I favor. Also, it looks as though you got some good color going on with the piece. For my baffles, I chose cherry, mostly because it was on hand.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #8 - 11/05/14 at 00:55:48

Thanks.  I liked that I coukd get it in the 6/4 thickness, and the construction of the block should help prevent it from warping.  Now I'm trying to decide whether to dye/stain it or keep in natural and just clear coat it.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 11/05/14 at 02:14:58

It occurred to me that my work benches were made pretty much from the same stock as your baffles, except they are 2 1/2" thick. I know that they are offered in varying thicknesses, widths, and lengths. Is that where you got your slabs? Like from a place that sells woodworking supplies?

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #10 - 11/05/14 at 02:50:58

I got them here:  http://foreverjointtops.com/

The guy makes tops in oak, maple and walnut.  Since I needed fairly narrow widths (13") he was able to cut mine out of leftover pieces.  I got both tops (13" x 47") for $100.  Pretty reasonable since full width tops go for about $50/LF.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 11/05/14 at 16:42:54

That is outstanding. Don't tempt me to have interchangeable baffles for each season. heh heh. When it comes to staining or dyeing, I would recommend the dye process. It is so much finer in size than the stain. Now maple would take stain very well, except that I cannot promise even results in your case. That is only because of the change in color of the wood might indicate a slight change in density, and the stain would absorb at a different rate and penetration. The dye looks much more natural to me, and anilyne dye would be my choice. Look for a spar varnish that is clear, and you will be set. I am anxious to see what this project of yours comes to look like in the end. Using a flash will really highlight the grain.
 Most interesting to me will be what driver you end up with, and what can be done with it. In the past, I have tried a few experiments of my own for the drivers that I have used.

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #12 - 11/05/14 at 23:56:36

I'm aware of the challenges with staining maple, so I'm leaning towards going with a clear coat and leaving it the natural color.  I'm also making outriggers out of maple which will match (except they are clear maple, not butcher block).  I'm toying with the idea of making some unique outriggers from the baffle cutouts, so that they will then match the baffle.  Not sure how to do that yet.  As for the driver, I plan to use the W8-1808.  I've been looking for a pair that have already been broken in if you happen to know of any!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 11/06/14 at 00:31:02

outriggers are a good idea for such a narrow and tall speaker. I made mine from 3/16" steel bar.

P8180013.JPG

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #14 - 11/15/14 at 14:14:27

I got them up and running!  Check out my post in the general discussion section.  I posted some pics.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print