Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:41:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clean Power question... (Read 3163 times)
Damien
Seasoned Member

Clean Power question...
09/25/14 at 00:56:36

Hi All,

I have bought a new (old) house and am installing a new breaker box. I want to make this as clean as I can and I have run upon a choice I don't know the answer to, hoping someone out there can help. Here goes...

The service has 2 load wires and a ground wire (uninsulated), also there is an earth ground wire. (long copper rod in the earth with heavy gauge copper wire) Currently the earth ground and the service ground are connected together and all the ground wires AND all the neutral wires are connected to it. There are a couple different ways I can ground this box. I have the following options

1, Keep the same and wire all neutrals and grounds together to both the service ground and the earth ground.

2, Separate the service ground and the earth ground using one for the neutrals and the other for the grounds. This also has the options of which one to use for grounds and which for neutrals

My instincts tell me that wiring them all together would create so-called  'dirty power'. If I have to choose based on my instincts alone I would separate  the service ground from the earth ground and use the service ground for the neutrals and the earth ground for the grounds. I will happily admit I am wrong, but I'd rather be right Wink.  Any electricians (or anyone else) out there have any advice?

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Clean Power question...
Reply #1 - 09/25/14 at 04:40:53

First off, I'm not an electrician - so take what I say with a grain of salt.

My understanding, is that the white (neutral) and ground *have* to combine at the box. The ground is just a backup for the neutral in case you lose that neutral connection in your device, or wiring. If you lose neutral connection to the box, and you don't have that ground as a backup, then *you* could be that ground when you touch the defective device. Electricity follows the path of least resistance, and you're just a bag of water. If the electricity had to choose between a broken neutral with no ground, or you, it would run through you.

My suggestions:

Make sure the ground rod is good and deep and has a solid connection to the panel. Maybe add another ground rod 12' away from the first (daisy chained), preferably deeper in the earth and/or towards moist(er) soil. This will lower the resistance to ground and help get the noise in your system dumped to earth ground.

Make sure all your connections at the box are nice and tight.

Run a dedicated 20amp circuit with a dedicated outlet, that has a dedicated ground to your audio gear - home run it to the box. It doesn't have to be audiophile cable or outlets or whatever, just dedicated.

The rest would be quality gear and quality layout of your cabling for said gear.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/14 at 11:18:54

My new breaker box came with instructions and a special screw...... "If your local code requires it use this screw to bond Neutral to Ground."

Further more my current house (not the one I am moving to) does not even have an earth ground.

So apparently they don't have to be together unless your local code requires it.

I do like the idea of redundant grounds though and if running a dedicated feed for my Decware gear is considered good enough then that's good enough for me as well. I listen to mostly classic rock which has a lot of mush to begin with, but still I would like it as clean as I can.

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 09/25/14 at 13:04:05

Again, I would check with a real electrician - I know there are instances where you don't need that bond - (if I recall correctly), if it's a sub-panel you don't want a whole nother grounding scheme because then you'd have a ground loop. Or if your whole house is run with conduit, then it could be the ground to the panel.

Also, your old house does have a ground, it's probably just a wire bonded to the water pipes. A proper dedicated ground to your house is better.

Note: when I said add another grounding rod, it's not a spare, it's daisy chained after the first to lower resistance. A second (separate)  ground could cause ground loop issues. But as I said, find an electrician - specifically one that does recording studios - they probably know all the tricks to improve your mains without causing sound issues.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print