Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 15:05:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Michael Fremer tours Shunyata Research (Read 3610 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Michael Fremer tours Shunyata Research
09/10/14 at 01:21:50

Although it's a few years old, I thought this article a very interesting read on The Audio Beat and Shunyata's development of DTCD Measuring.  

In an interview with Fremer ~ Caelin Gabriel presents Shunyata's argument on why power conditioning/regeneration is not the right way to go which can be a bottle neck and actually introduce noise within one's system ... in comparison to why maximizing as much instantaneous current possible to the gear in an audio chain presents a better means to an end.  It has lots of graphs that shows the noise generated between the 2 idealogies for you techies as well.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Michael Fremer tours Shunyata Research
Reply #1 - 09/10/14 at 03:46:12

Quote:
in comparison to why maximizing as much instantaneous current possible to the gear in an audio chain presents a better means to an end.

I've heard this before - the P10 lowers impedance (easier current draw) and has 70 amps on tap. So PS Audio agrees with this as well.  :)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/11/14 at 00:03:23

Lonely Raven wrote on 09/10/14 at 03:46:12:
I've heard this before - the P10 lowers impedance (easier current draw) and has 70 amps on tap. So PS Audio agrees with this as well.  :)

Yes, I have no doubt he wasn't using the P10 for those measurements.  In theory they really don't say who it was, for all we know if could have been a Monster Power Center or something of a lot less value than a PS Audio component.  Interesting thing to look for when deciding what power regeneration and/or conditioning component to purchase though.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 09/11/14 at 00:36:48

I did like seeing the charts and curves on the power cords though. That's not information I've really seen before.

Now, to put those charts into perspective, I'd love to see real time, high resolution capture of the ZMA's current draw with very dynamic music.

Shunyata can jump up and down all day about being able to provide 170 amps instant power (for example), but if the most I'm ever going to peak at is 55 amps (or better yet, the average/common amps peak), then their info is just smoke and mirrors. So their info needs more context.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print