Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 14:39:13 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE Zen Fest 2014 ~ Oct 3rd, 4th, 5th (Read 14800 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Re: DECWARE Zen Fest 2014 ~ Oct 3rd, 4th, 5th
Reply #100 - 10/05/14 at 19:07:06

Hi Lin...Thanks!  What did you like better about the new speakers?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 10/05/14 at 19:14:04

Lin, do you know what full range speaker and tweeters were used?...DFR 6.5" or 8"?  Thanks,  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #102 - 10/05/14 at 19:42:30

Hi all,

Just got back an hour ago, and I wanted to send a big THANK YOU to Steve, Devon, Sarah, Bob, and Mike for another great fest.  You guys are the best!!!  I'll have more comments in a few days, after my mind sorts out all the great info, music and sound I heard yesterday...it's still spinning right now.

Thanks again guys.

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #103 - 10/05/14 at 20:43:36

I think Ziggy said the mb is basically the same driver Wilson uses for a mid in the Sasha/Sophia and the tweeter looks like an SB Acoustics ring dome.

I've never been a fan of ribbon tweeter and cone woofer pairings, I like the dome tweeter's integration and sound better. YMMV

IP Logged
patshrews
Verified Member

Reply #104 - 10/05/14 at 23:22:36

A big Thank You to Steve and crew for hosting Decfest! Thanks for your generosity, it was a pleasure to by there.

Pat

Torii Mk. IV
Schiit Gungnir
Zu Omen Bookshelfs
with HO drivers
Decware Reference Interconnects
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 10/06/14 at 00:54:55

Oh well, the best I could do was to catch some of the live feed. The streaming sound of Steve's tape machine was unbelievably good and made me want to be there even more. See you there next year.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #106 - 10/06/14 at 01:28:22

Dave and I did a "red eye" drive home last night and got back to Caintuck around 6:00 AM .....  

The trip to Peoria was well worth it and a hearty thanks to the entire Decware family and crew for the superb hospitality.

Steve's tape setup is very impressive ..... but since we weren't able to locate the tape with "Free Bird" on it, I will reserve final judgement until it can be located for Zen Fest 2015 .....

I spent quite a bit of time listening "through" the Rachel amplifier and like it a lot. Steve and Bob were kind enough to let me spend some time with the Rachel powering a couple of non-Decware speakers that I schlepped to the event ..... and the Rachel made them both sing.

A highly recommended amplifier .....

It was great to see many old friends and meet quite a few new ones.

Looking forward to next year .....

Best wishes,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #107 - 10/06/14 at 02:13:09

Thanks Randy, I just put a ZP3 and a Rachel on order last week. Very excited about these finally coming. I am sure that a lot of good music was listened to at Decfest.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #108 - 10/06/14 at 03:06:55

The live feed was a nice touch.
Even on my I-Pad, that clarity was there. Well done !

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #109 - 10/06/14 at 07:30:40

I'm really impressed you guys were getting an impression of how good the sound was over the live feed. I got several txts when I was playing MC with the OTL amp playing, about how good the sound was, and asking me what the tracks I was playing were.

It's a clever setup that can pull that off! Even more so when you see how simple it is!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 10/06/14 at 14:35:01

Yes Raven, I think your description of the otl was right on the money.  My only question would be would you want it that intense every day?

Randy thanks for the music suggestions.  I would have loved to hear your ob's with Rachael.  I am looking for a higher efficiency speaker for my Rachael and I like to build.

I spent a couple of hours when nobody was awake in the morning switching back and forth between the monoliths and the el caminos using a Rachael amp.  Different sounding speakers to be sure.  The biggest difference though was the efficiency.  In a larger room you would need more of an amp to run the el caminos.  I got a nice listening volume out of them but in Steve's big room I ran them pretty high and got to clipping easy when a loud track came on.  

I felt the el caminos were more audiophile sounding (detail, clarity, punch) and the monoliths were more of a bigger, airier, Hifi sound. The imaging on the el caminos was more precise where the sound stage was bigger on the monoliths.  I also think the el caminos have more grunt In the low end. I have to be honest and say thiat I don't think the room did either speaker justice on the bass (sorry I am a bass trap freak).

I did like the tweeter on the el caminos.   I believe all three drivers are sb acoustics.  I currently use a single driver of that woofer in my DNA cabinets with a Vifa bullet tweeter.  I will be looking to see if I could use that tweeter in my cabinets.

So I think if I was running a zen or Rachael I would go with the monoliths.  Something more hefty and I'd go with the el caminos.  A smaller room would possibly open the door to the el caminos with a lower powered amp.

The el caminos are heavy. 3/4 mdf all through. I think that helps them in the grunt department for sure.   Bob showed me a picture of the insides and they have a very long tapered horn.

Edit: the monoliths were the 945 version without the custom wave guide.  Steve had asked that we not touch the other end of the room where the 946's reside.  From my memory, I think that waveguide does let more detail through in the mids.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #111 - 10/06/14 at 15:06:39

Quote:
Yes Raven, I think your description of the otl was right on the money.  My only question would be would you want it that intense every day?

I've been thinking about that a lot since I did my MC session on Friday, and you felt the OTL was an overwhelming wall of sound. I have to say that I handled the OTL better now that I've got almost a year of Mystery amp under my belt - the OTL wasn't as overwhelming for me. So I postulate two outcomes (assuming Steve produces an OTL, and I somehow afford it).

Outcome #1 - the OTL becomes my main amp, and my brain evolves to a higher level of listening (only half-joking here - my experiences this past year tell me this is an actual thing). This will pretty much ruin me for any other kind of listening.

Outcome #2 - The Mystery Amp remains my main amp, and the OTL is my "winter amp" because of the heat - LOL just kidding. The OTL would be like listening to Reel to Reel master tapes - not something I do all the time, but something I do for really deep listening sessions.

Since I still have a lot of room issues to deal with, and I'm still (after a friggen *year* working out issues with building my overly complex sound diffusers, I still have a long way to go with the gear I have now. I'm betting I could get the Mystery amp as involving as the OTL if I ever get my room under control with diffusion. But then, imagine the OTL in a room like that!!

Quote:
In a larger room you would need more of an amp to run the el caminos.  I got a nice listening volume out of them but in Steve's big room I ran them pretty high and got to clipping easy when a loud track came on

I saw this the next day when people were listening to the mini-torii. It just didn't have the guts for a larger room, with that many people (aka higher noise floor).  It would have been fine for solo-listening late at night, and/or with high efficiency speaker. Late Friday night, it was so quiet, the damn fan was annoying me. LOL

Quote:
I felt the el caminos were more audiophile sounding (detail, clarity, punch) and the monoliths were more of a bigger, airier Hifi sound. The imaging on the el caminos was more precise where the sound stage was bigger on the monoliths.  I also think the el caminos have more grunt In the low end. I have to be honest and say thiat I don't think the room did either speaker justice on the bass (sorry I am a bass trap freak).

I agree with this - you know I like the more audiophile sound, and Bob's new speakers really appeal to me. I also felt the room got boomy on that side. Not so much on the other side. But then again, the couch was rolling all over the place, I'm betting with a little work it wouldn't be hard to find the sweetspot in that room. Remember, in your room you've not only added treatments, but you've adjusted both seating and I believe speaker locations to smooth out the bass. With all the work you've put into that room, your home reference kind of kills most other rooms - especially one with a rolling couch, full of speakers and people.  :)

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 10/06/14 at 15:11:33

Any thoughts versus the 944s?  I felt the el caminos were more refined on the top end and more gutsy on the low end.  I didn't really check, but I also felt they were less beamy.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #113 - 10/06/14 at 15:22:52

Since I was standing behind the couch to let others take in all that is the OTL, I didn't get a chance to really evaluate the sweetspot. I think anything with a cone is going to be less head-in-vice then the 944 ribbon. But I do enjoy the speed of ribbon drivers.

From my mental memory of the 944, these speakers are quite close. I would hazard to say the 944 might still have faster bass, and the El Camino (sic) I think had better mids. I'd really have to put them side by side to evaluate since they are so much alike. Overall my thoughts are they would make a good replacement if the bass is as fast, mids are more detailed (without being edgy), and the tweets are smoother with a wider sweet spot. It would take all that to best the venerable MG944.

I would be happy with them in my setup.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #114 - 10/06/14 at 15:55:19

Thanks for all the observations guys.

I too hope Steve produces the OTL SET. The bottom line is: I need to bring it in on Trial and use my Anedio D2, AA front end an Chord QuteHD DAC with it. Also, different IC an Speaker Cable combinations, from my Kimber Select to 8TC an Silver Streak with my Zen Styx Speaker Cable. Of course, it would be compared to my SE84CS, Super Zen CKC an ZMA Amplifiers too. Furthermore, with an without my wonderfully transparent an dynamic CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps.

Far as Speakers go, I'm intrigued with the Seas Pendragon. I will most likely order a pair next week an report back.  Cheers.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #115 - 10/06/14 at 16:00:23

OTL is a completely different animal from any of those other amps. It does stuff that's really hard to explain. Very detailed like the old 2 watt Zen, but liquid and HUGE like the ZMA, but still, completely different.

I hope Steve does an OTL Super-Zen to hopefully bring an OTL to the masses, and a big OTL like the Mystery amp, or Monoblocks for us extremest listeners.  :)

miller88

Reply #116 - 10/06/14 at 21:02:11

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this weekend. It was really great to put some faces with screen names and be able to have some stereo conversation. It's hard to find people to talk stereo with a girl;).
Thanks Steve for an awesome event and sharing the non-digital bliss in the evenings!
I'm pretty sure I'll be back next year.
Mele

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 10/06/14 at 21:07:05

Mele,

I am glad to have you on these forums! Testosterone can be a dangerous drug Wink

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 10/06/14 at 22:17:51

Mele,
It was nice to meet you. I appreciate the tube lesson.

It was a fun time. This year I did more talking than listening. Its nice to be able to talk about the hobby to people that understand.

John

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 10/06/14 at 22:21:02

Wow, sounds like you guys had a great time and thanks for all the comparisons and impressions!  It looks like Zygi has another hit with the El Caminos and a nice replacement for the 944's.

I can't see ever running any OTL here in San Diego.  Aside from being way too expensive for me, it is still almost 100 degrees where I live and my a/c bill alone was close to $300 last month, that on top of us having to use a fan even in the winter make it a no go and totally impractical.

Well I was hoping for a SET with some more juice say 10-15 watts in the $2K-$3K range, but not like the OTL that has taken center stage. Cry ... I'm sure it's pretty awesome, but I'll sit this one out and use my Taboo for now and hold off for the time being.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #120 - 10/06/14 at 22:30:23

We had 273 people watch the live feed this year, up from 184 last year!  I was wondering how the tape sounded via the feed so I appreciate the feedback!

Even though I haven't fully recovered from this year's fest I am already looking forward to next year!

My favorite one-liner from this year's fest came from Miller88 when someone wanted to hear the vinyl rig after we had spun a few tapes.  I dropped a pretty great LP on the table and let it go.  About 3 songs into it, she looked up at me from the couch and said "How long are we going to have to listen to this?"

It sounded great btw, it's just that the tape is really that much better.  I have always said women can hear better than men, so I am still smiling about her comment! Wink  We stopped the LP before it was done, fired up the tape machine and it didn't stop until around 2:00 A.M.  

I wanted to see how long the tape machine could hold everyone's attention...  now I know it's not just me.

God bless everyone who took the time and expense to make the journey to Decware... it really means a lot to us.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 10/06/14 at 23:08:39

Steve,

My headphones aren't great Sennheiser 280 pros, but here is what I heard. The tape density and smoothness was noticeable on the feed. Density without sounding thick or dull in any way. The 3 digital units I heard all sounded different, but odd by comparison. The only speakers that sounded really noticeably balanced to me were Bob's new ones. Other than the radial effect, this made me wonder about what I was hearing, but it was fun!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 10/06/14 at 23:32:42

Yes I am pretty sure that an otl will be out of my range too.  But I might be able to swing a ZMA or Torii when other guys trade up.

Also I want to emphasize that Bobs new speakers are not officially called the el caminos.  Just my name for them to discuss them on the forum.  They did have an auto paint finish to them but that's the only connection to a thing auto related  :)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 10/06/14 at 23:42:38

Btw stone I got several hours in with the Chord in the big room.  Sounded great.  Most of my observations about the speakers were based on the hooked up to the chord.

I pooped out Friday night at 1:00 so I wasn't able to do the direct stream comparison with mr late night lonely raven.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #124 - 10/07/14 at 01:30:30

Chiming in just a bit late here, but I just wanted to say how grateful I am to have been to another fantastic Zen Fest.  The thing was a real top-notch affair!  My hat is off to Steve, Devon, Sarah, Bob, and Mike.  My only regret was not going home with those Err's.  :(     Maybe some other time.  Hearing the (temporarily termed) El Camino's as well as the DNA horn with the Mark Audio drivers was fun.  The Beatles tape was fantastic and couple other rather late nite auditions from Steely Dan made a believer out of me.  Too bad I can't enjoy both formats, I'm too far down the vinyl path.  My compliments to Mike for tending the fire for the entirety of the event, Thank you sir.  Steve, thank you for making such a fine event possible; it is quite special and anyone who attends knows just how generous you are with your time, home, and ingenious amplifiers.      

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 10/07/14 at 01:33:15

Very detailed and thought out reviews as usual guys.  

I also tapped into the live stream briefly one night while tapes were being played and was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded with my $100 headphones.  I thought I would see more toe tapping from the people sitting in the room, but maybe they were so floored by the sound that they couldn’t function properly.  There was a classical piece from a Canadian broadcast that stood out in particular to me.  It sounded awesome!

Do the “el caminos” have the same efficiency as the DNA horns (89 dB)?  I think I need additional data to determine if I would want to go lower in efficiency (94 dB) in my room.  In fact, I was hoping Bob would create a slightly more efficient speaker that bests the 944’s in SQ.  Might be an unreasonable request/wish for…  

I didn’t realize the DirectStream made an appearance.  I am curious what folks thought and how it compared versus tape and the other digital rigs.  In theory, DSD is probably the closest digital could get to tape, but you do have the AD/DA conversion, which likely has an impact.  Also, I think it’s true that you can’t push digital past 0db without negative clipping.  I remember making mix tapes as a kid and often pushing the meters into the red for that extra saturation.  

Wish I could have been there.  Keep the observations flowing… Cheers.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #126 - 10/07/14 at 01:44:56

I tapped in as well, right at the point of LR's ZMA being in the mix and got to hear one of my favorite songs off of Hadestown "Our Lady Of The Underground".  It sounded excellent even through my PC speakers in my upstairs bedroom which in itself is pretty amazing, so I can only imagine how great it sounded being there! Cool

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 10/07/14 at 02:17:14

I think the el caminos are around 91 db. To me they sounded about that. I also think they are 4 ohm.

The direct stream made an appearance late Friday night.  I'm not sure how many people were around for it.  It was after 1:00 when I called it a night and Eric was just hooking it up.

I hope that Steve puts the videos out there like he did last year. I got a lot of great music ideas off those videos.  I'd also like to switch between videos when the el caminos were on different amps.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #128 - 10/07/14 at 03:10:00

Black and Silver, with a big bucket in the back...I'm just sayin' Bob. I like it. Though I know you made a funny face when I read that Palo posted that name in the forums.  :)

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #129 - 10/07/14 at 03:35:11

Quote:
I didn’t realize the DirectStream made an appearance.  I am curious what folks thought and how it compared versus tape and the other digital rigs.  In theory, DSD is probably the closest digital could get to tape, but you do have the AD/DA conversion, which likely has an impact.  Also, I think it’s true that you can’t push digital past 0db without negative clipping.  I remember making mix tapes as a kid and often pushing the meters into the red for that extra saturation.

Yeah well, about that...

Long story short, at about 1:30am everyone was heading out, and I said, "hey, I was about to bring the DS in" and everyone did an about face. Palo was...let's call it sleeping. But after about 15-20 minutes of me having issues getting my laptop to connect to my streaming server, everyone said screw this we're out of here. Not long after that I got my system up and running (stupid IP mistake and no time to test before I drove down).

So it was a solo flight - just me, the DS, my music, the OTL amp, and Bob's El Caminos. I played till about 4am.

All I have to say, is that's it's the closest I've ever heard digital come to tape. And yet, the master tapes still sounded better (duh!).

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 10/07/14 at 11:25:19

I looked in on some of the Fest, but only up to pre 8 0`clock ( 5 hours time lag ) so before the main events. The `caminos` looked pretty cool and I did wonder if they were made from ally, so good paint job. My interest was with the ZOBs, a speaker I`m becoming a fan of. They were being demo`d and sometimes placed a lot further back. I liked them a lot.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #131 - 10/07/14 at 13:46:13

Looks as if the Fest was a success! Were I in the market for a new amp and new speakers I'd be interested in what Steve MAY develop as an OTL amp and the new speakers Bob brought. But I'm deliriously happy wtih my amps and speakers and know when to jump off the merry-go-round! Now if only I can get my DirectStream working again I'd be all set!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 10/07/14 at 15:39:26

Just curious if anybody had a chance to listen to various amps on the same system at the same time.  I'm always curious to hear about what the differences are (sonically) between the Decware amps.

If anyone did do some comparisons, I'd love to hear their impressions.

Thanks!

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #133 - 10/07/14 at 17:11:34

If it happens, then it is happening (the OTL SET). After some hours on the wonderful creation....I will take it down to see LR an Palomino.

Kudos to Steve for the Live Feed once again. I really enjoyed hearing the Reel to Reel an the OTL SET with Bob's new Speakers. I enjoyed Steve's Monoliths too.

I was inspired from Decfest to work on my Listening Room. I took down a room divider an spread my Speakers out wider with some toe-in. Improvement was had. Opened up my Soundstage even more.

I love what I have an could not see myself parting with my ZMA. What I could discern of the OTL SET/I want to bring it in though (I do believe it to be that significant like the ZMA). I could also happily live with my Vintage Polk SDA1 speakers in stereo with my ZMA too.
However, between now an Oct 31st, when the price goes up on the Monoliths....I should bring in a higher efficiency Speaker.  

I'm considering:
Monoliths or Tekton Lore S.  Any opinions? I decided against the Seas Pendragons an Bob's new Speaker will be more than I want to spend. The Monoliths and Lore S are at 2k and $1500 delivered, respectively.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 10/07/14 at 21:56:47

@ Stone, I was actually looking at the Tektons a while back before I bought my Omegas.  The Tektons get a lot of good feedback, but at the time Eric wasn't doing very well as far as cutomer feedback and the amount of time it was taking for him to complete orders (it was like 8-10 months for people to get their speakers in some instances).  

I chose the Omega's for many reasons, but that's one of the main reasons I ditched Tekton as a potential vendor.  That was almost 2 years ago though, so I'm not sure if things have changed in that regard, but just an FYI ...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #135 - 10/08/14 at 04:52:25

Thanks Beowulf, I was afraid of this long Lead time. I'm going to bring in Steve's Monoliths most likely. He has them ready to go.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 10/08/14 at 06:37:02

Stone,

I've been pretty happy w/my Monoliths. I wrote a review, if you're interested, in the Monolith thread, topic "Special price for new buyers".
Check it out.

Randy

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 10/08/14 at 14:43:16

From Tekton's Product page:

"Ordering: standard finish (satin black) - all models - usually ships within 2 working days

Please allow 2 to 4 weeks for custom paints, theater projects, and veneers"

If these are really interesting to you Stone, might be worth a call to see.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #138 - 10/08/14 at 16:05:36

Yes, as I mentioned it was about 2 years ago when this was occuring, by now he could have straightened out the issues he was having prior. Although there is a thread with fairly current posts on AVS forums that tells of a lot of problems with Tekton that are still not smoothed out.  

I think most of the problems stem from custom orders (veneers and paints), grills seem to be a big issue for him and a few quality assurance issues as well.  I've seen statements like this posted a couple times ~ "When Eric says 5-8 weeks that means "8-10 months".

Maybe if you get a standard finish you may be safer as there are current posts on that forum that said they still waited a while to get their product and if you want grills ... forget about them as he is known to never ship them (even if you paid for them).

One of the most recent threads stated that it only took 4 weeks to get a set and that included a custom paint job, so overall after reading that thread it still seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot on lead times IMO. (YMMV though).

I would mention though, once people get their product they are fairly happy aside from a few issues as mentioned above.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #139 - 10/08/14 at 16:05:38

Thanks TubeNube, Lin an will.

I have decided to wait an see if Steve makes the OTL SET. I then plan to arrange a visit to Decware to hear it. At that time, I will hear the Amp with Bob Z's new Speaker, Steve's Monolith an the HR-1's. It allows the direct comparison to the ZMA too (which I own).

It will be interesting to hear if the Redbook standard can maintain its composer through the OTL SET vs. Hi-res. I have my Chord Chordette QuteHD at home if I need to venture into that realm. Certainly, will be fun to make the comparisons at Steve's. The Chord, is nothing short of incredible with Redbook. Detailed and smooth. Chord certainly made a statement with this FPGA DAC! I don't miss the PS Audio DSD I returned....so that is saying something about this QuteHD DAC.

Until Steve puts the word out in due time about the OTL SET an potentially a new Preamplifier too; I will enjoy my SE84CS an CKC at 68 to 78db SPL...and my ZMA via my CSP3 at 68 to 92db SPL  8-).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 10/08/14 at 17:50:09

Going to Decware and checking things out sounds like a lot of fun!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 10/08/14 at 19:31:12

Probably the best time I had at the fest was listening to Bob's speakers and the Monoliths on pretty much my system.  I was using my DAC, my transport and a Rachael with the same tubes except rectifier (which I liked and later bought one).  Same interconnects and same speaker wires.

IP Logged
EL Capitan
Verified Member

Reply #142 - 10/09/14 at 01:31:55

Hi Steve,

I was unable to attend Zenfest due to work  :(, however I logged in a couple times to listen in.  I heard the Beatles broadcast tape and it really captured my attention.  So much that I listened to the end.  A super warm sound over the wire.  After that, I also heard what I think was Bob James live and it too sounded amazing through my cheap headphones (thanks for the hi-def feed).  Do you recall if the monoliths were used during that time?  If so, I'd be interested in your opinion how they'd sound w/ my MK4....?

Thanks,
Chris

TorII MK4, ZP3, Silver Reference IC's, Marantz SA-8004, Rega TT, DM 947 Monoliths with the Tori, Stacked NLA Advents with the Marantz 2285B
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 10/09/14 at 01:39:35

I think Marky brought this up earlier, but can folks comment on the Zen Open Baffle speakers?   They looked like they were pushed up against the front wall and were toed in significantly.   I suppose the former is more surprising to me.  I was always under the impression that you want to get the speakers away from the front wall, especially dipoles or open baffle speakers.  Do you guys have any additional perspective on this?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 10/09/14 at 02:47:33

@ Dave1210 - I would have to agree after reading numerous posts from Lin on good placement for this type of speaker.  I was thinking 4-5 feet out into the room would be close to optimum.  Maybe one of our open baffle guru's such as Lin, Randy, Zygi or Steve can chime in.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 10/09/14 at 09:43:29

Yes Dave the open baffles were being used with the OTL amp at the time. Even on my laptop I could hear their speed and sense of fidelety ( the monotliths and `el caminos` were a different story  ) I think the directness qualities and speed of the open baffles, coulped to the OTL,  warranted them being placed nearer the wall to see if their speed kept up and what the effect was. Every picture tells a story.  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
davedutill
Seasoned Member

Time becomes
meaningless in the
face of creativity

Reply #146 - 10/10/14 at 03:00:07

Just wanted to send out a big THANK YOU to Devon, Steve, Bob and the rest of the Decware family for all the hospitality over the weekend!  Had a great time seeing old and new friends.  Hope to make it back next year.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #147 - 10/10/14 at 15:13:38

Dave D, wish I could have made it down to see you this Fest an Randy. Remember 2005 when we went to the "Club" late night an the college kid fight broke out!?

Hey, I thought to sell my Parker Crusader's a couple times. However, I am glad I have not. They are still going strong since November of 2005 arrival. 95db @ 1 watt/1 meter. I don't use the plate amp all that much when I rotate them in my System. But, enjoy the acoustic suspension MTM on them an I use the Hovland Music Caps Randy sent me all those years ago.

Cheers, (Stone)  Larry

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #148 - 10/10/14 at 22:53:44

OK...it's time for me to give my impressions.

I arrived Sat around noon and could feel the vibe of great sound.  There was a group of guys in the room enjoying all kinds of equipment and speakers.  I stroke a conversation with Chris K, and it was really interesting.  We talked about our set ups, and I kept being drawn into the room.  Finally, the Rachel was set up and I had to go listen.

Now, you have to understand that the Rachel is the amp I lust for.  We heard it on the HR1's ( AWESOME!!!) and then the open baffles (I think).  Then I had the chance to put the HDT's in the mix...my speakers BTW.  Even though I/we had the volume too high (even Steve poked his head in to see what was going on), I was captivated.  I had heard the Rachel's last year, but this time I heard it with MY SPEAKERS and MY MUSIC.  To say I was impressed would be an understatement!!!  I am now working on selling my mono blocks and finding the rest of the funds to get my Rachel!!!(Email me if you"re interested).

After another beer, and many more conversations, the evening came upon us and ANALOG was on the menu.  All I can say is...WOW!!!  The tapes played were beyond the words I can put here.  Suffice it to say that if a quality tape machine comes available, I'm gonna be be "spinning tape"!!! (And I'll take you up on your offer Steve)

Anyway, it was absoulty a GREAT time.  It was great talking with Steve, Bob, Mike, Chris K, Randy, Lonely Raven, Brie (hope I got that correct), and ALL the Decware family. I can't wait for next year!!

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #149 - 10/12/14 at 22:12:24

Quote:
I think Marky brought this up earlier, but can folks comment on the Zen Open Baffle speakers?   They looked like they were pushed up against the front wall and were toed in significantly.   I suppose the former is more surprising to me.  I was always under the impression that you want to get the speakers away from the front wall, especially dipoles or open baffle speakers.  Do you guys have any additional perspective on this?

The reason I was able to run them that close to the walls was primarily due to the diffusers and absorber panels behind them.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print