Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:47:34 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE Zen Fest 2014 ~ Oct 3rd, 4th, 5th (Read 13432 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: DECWARE Zen Fest 2014 ~ Oct 3rd, 4th, 5th
Reply #50 - 09/27/14 at 20:56:15

Raven - considering all the things that could pop our brain in this day and age (or things we have done in the past…) I would think that getting popped on Decware gear to be the biggest, best high of my life. High on music (and a little vino once in a while) Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 09/27/14 at 21:54:54

I don't think you're nuts. Or maybe you are. . . and if so we all are or want to be as we want smiliar experiences.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #52 - 09/27/14 at 23:42:35

Ditto LR, I don't think you're nuts.

We have skin in this game with our exceptional playback/reproduction equipment, to get lost in the music moment (see/feel/hear it). So, high praise indeed, coming from you about the OTL. I want to experience it.

In the meantime, I know what we have in our Music Systems. I could leave it untouched.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 09/28/14 at 04:37:48

Lonely Raven wrote on 09/27/14 at 18:17:22:
Some of you probably think I'm nuts when I say stuff like this, but I describe it as I see/feel/hear it, and oftentimes the builder (in this case Steve) usually agrees with me.

Back before I had the ZMA, Steve gave me a taste of his one-off OTL amp - not 10 seconds into the session, I almost yelled out for him to stop playing music, as the sound was a bit overwhelming; it was a bit of sensory overload honestly. The sound was so dense (being played from his Teac DAC mind you) and visceral, that for a second my brain said "reach out and see if you can touch it as it goes by"

Two times in my life that sound reproduction has pretty much popped the circuit of my brain, both times were with Steve.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xQwI7_F7--/aadtclqhyzi6qey5r...

You make it sound as if it was either scary real or it was like fingers on a chalk board.  A  bit overwhelming in a good way right? Shocked Grin

Can anybody explain what the difference one could expect in sound and performance from an OTL vs. Transformer based amp?  What are the trade-offs between each one, etc.?  

Man ... I have been waiting for a S.E.T. from Steve with just a little more juice, I'm not so sure about the OTL as I've never heard one ... but the amount of watts is perfect for me and my speakers so it has my name all over it as long as I can afford it!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #54 - 09/28/14 at 14:34:09

Might as well get the ball rolling, by digesting designs:

http://www.atma-sphere.com/

Their are numerous OTL builds online. I picked Atma-sphere, because they are in my backyard.....8 miles from my house.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #55 - 09/28/14 at 15:18:18

What an amazing video!!

Now, from what I understand, most OTL amps out there aren't really OTL. They "modified OTL" or "Hybrid-OTL" or some such. I don't understand the technical differences exactly, but I've seen several EEs say that a proper OTL would have all the negatives Steve talks about (heat, expense, slew of transformers, dangerous voltages, etc). I'm guessing Steve's one off amp is a true OTL - I don't know if the Atmos-phere falls into that - but seeing as it needs 10 output tubes, it probably is a real OTL.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #56 - 09/28/14 at 15:18:30

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #57 - 09/28/14 at 15:28:51

All those Output Tubes is what puts me off...LR.

I'm more interested in Steve's OTL with 6c33c's.

I need it to handle the dips of 2-4, 6-ohms...from my 8-ohm Speaker's.
If it needs a preamp with gain...I have that in the CSP3!
Also, need RCA inputs and want XLR with it too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 09/28/14 at 15:30:39

I would have been really interested in an SET with more juice than the Integrateds. . . til the Toriis came along. The Mk IIIs, with Jupiter caps and stepped attenuators, give the best of both push-pull and SET to me, indeed I've compared them to the little Zens and Integrateds and prefer their sound. So I"m off the amp merry-go-round.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #59 - 09/28/14 at 15:41:58

For me it is not a merry-go-round. I enjoy my CSP3/ZMA combination, my SE84CS/SV83 Svetlana and Super Zen CKC...I'm not selling. I rotate them. Although, my CSP3 an ZMA rule.

I appreciate Steve's designs making my music. If he persue's this OTL...I want him to know I'm interested.

I look forward to the impressions of Listener's at the Fest.

LR, as beowulf asked....what are your further impressions of the OTL...compared to the ZMA?

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #60 - 09/28/14 at 15:59:09

Quote:
LR, as beowulf asked....what are your further impressions of the OTL...compared to the ZMA?

Honestly, it's really hard for me to describe. It doesn't help that Steve was "doing research" on me. He was switching around between audio-files of various resolutions and watching my body language. Of course I didn't know this at the time, he just does stuff and watches how I react. Once, when I was shopping/listening through his speakers - he put one pair on for only 7 seconds and immediately shut it off and said "that's not going to work for you". I guess I must have made a bad face or something. LOL

Quote:
You make it sound as if it was either scary real or it was like fingers on a chalk board.  A  bit overwhelming in a good way right?

Not nails on a chalkboard, but it could be as the amp is very, very revealing. As I said, it was sensory overload - there was so much audio information hitting me that I felt a bit overwhelmed.

I don't know if I mentioned this to Steve, but that amp did something else to me - the whole 3 hour drive home from Steve's place, my senses were raw and sensitive. I was hearing every little creak of my car, the way the noise of my tires would reflect off objects on the side of the highway, the swish of the wind as it changed direction. It's like my ears and brain were stuck on listening mode NINJA after listening to the OTL - and honestly that amp has haunted me since. I have healthy respect for it - with great power comes great responsibility or something like that. LOL So I understand why Steve hasn't made this amp a regular at the events.

Also, one thing I've just realized that may have affected my listening that night - I'd not been seriously listening for years. I did not yet have the ZMA or the DirectStream and this $15k, highly tweaked system I have now. So looking back, I was probably like a guy living in a cave for years coming out into the sunlight - it's no wonder it was overwhelming. And, maybe it "woke me up" a bit? Maybe it helped reactivate that deep listening part of my brain that hears distortion to the nth degree, and picks up on the natural reverb of every room I walk into?

Too much Zen for me this early in the morning - and yes, this is the kind of stuff that rattles around in my brain all the time. Ugh.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 09/28/14 at 16:30:02

Rotating speakers and amps. . . just a totally different mindset and methodology to me, I want one system really to do all without futzing and have been working in that direction for years. If ONLY I could spend more time in my own home with my system because it really has become that for me, one system to just let me melt into the music, favoring all my recordings as well as any system I've had or heard.

Vive la difference! I'm glad you have fun on the merry-go-round. But I'm glad to have the stability of one great system for playback.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #62 - 09/28/14 at 18:03:23

My rotation is far from a merry-go-round. The CSP3 with ZMA take up residents mostly all the time. I just enjoy having the luxury (that you don't have) of three different Decware Amplifiers, with all three having different tube compliments....to compare. Steve's new SET and/or OTL is for me as well.

I owned a Torii III too. I wish I kept, an upgraded it to a IV. My bad.

Well, to nice to be inside!  I'm off to the Vikings game at TCF outdoors.
72 an headed for 79 at game time (3:25 pm central)!  I need to put on sun screen... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 09/28/14 at 18:45:14

Well, it seems like a merry go round to me, especially with all those speakers. I never need more than just one, right set of speakers. The HR-1s are those for me, especially the newest version I own.

You're also wrong: I have four Decware amps (well really five, but my original Zen amp #27 turned to Revision A I'll never get back from a friend).And I explore different tube complements in each. A Torii Mk II, a Torii Mk III with stepped attenuator and Jupiter caps, a Torii Mk III with standard attenuator and Jupiter caps (but no bass controls, one of the first made and bass controls can't be added) and a C amp modded by Eddie Vaughn. I have three systems (two here in my home, one at my parents), three amps in use, one in the closet. But the Mk III with the stepped attenuator and the Jupiter caps, it has the magic that makes my main system best in a way that I can enjoy my recordings, in tandem with my HR-1s and RP3 and ZP3 and CSP2+ and DirectStream and DCD-A100. I don't need to move any component out and that gives me great satisfaction. If only I could spend all my listening time in front of that system, but alas I have caregiving duties that make me listen more elsewhere.

To each their own. We all have different tastes and priorities and I've discovered and fed mine. And I'm learning when to just center on what is in play and enjoy the music.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #64 - 09/29/14 at 02:18:03

blah blah blah ...drone on Lon drone on

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 09/29/14 at 02:24:15

Whatever Larry. I put it as concisely as I could, we're different, you like to flit from thing to thing it seems, I don't. Vive la difference as I said before.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 09/29/14 at 02:53:13

@ LR, thanks for the in depth thoughts in regards to the OTL.  It seems as if you weren't as ready for that as you are after living with the ZMA the past several months.  I bet if you went back for an in depth listen you would be able to pin point a lot more about it at this point.

@ Stone, very cool video!  I've heard about Atma-Sphere, but never heard their gear.  It does seem like a huge tube compliment though, I'm sure it costs a small fortune to replace those.  I also wonder type of heat output does something like that cause?

@ Doorman, thanks for the Transcendence link.  I've been to their site on occasion, pretty cool stuff for the DIY'r.  Still a lot of tubes, I wonder the cost of re-tubing and heat output as well.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #67 - 09/29/14 at 04:45:03

Couple things I'd like to bring to the surface here...

I have never liked OTL amplifiers because they require multiple tubes in parallel which is expensive, hot, and never as transparent as a single tube, especially after the tubes begin to drift. Besides being expensive, they are famous for blowing up speakers and themselves.  

My OTL is like no other in that it is an SET. It is like any other SET amplifier... the difference is that the tube of choice (6C33C) is capable of driving very low impedances so with a second tube acting as a current source on the cathode of the first it is possible to drive an 8 ohm speaker directly with no output transformer.

What everyone is calling my OTL is not actually correct.  My OTL is an OTL SET amp.  Output transformer-less Single ended triode.  That makes it as different as you can get from most OTL amplifiers, which is why I like it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #68 - 09/29/14 at 15:12:32

Quote:
@ LR, thanks for the in depth thoughts in regards to the OTL.  It seems as if you weren't as ready for that as you are after living with the ZMA the past several months.  I bet if you went back for an in depth listen you would be able to pin point a lot more about it at this point.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
What everyone is calling my OTL is not actually correct.  My OTL is an OTL SET amp.  Output transformer-less Single ended triode.  That makes it as different as you can get from most OTL amplifiers, which is why I like it

This explains so much - and is exactly why it sounds so different.

Count me in, Steve. One way or another, I have to have something like this.

miller88

Reply #69 - 09/29/14 at 18:17:58

I am really looking forward to coming to the Fest. I am sort of new to the audiophile thing and have really enjoyed acquiring my current system. It will be really fun to meet a lot of the people I have either bought stuff from or just talked with on this site as well as meet Steve in person.

Steve, I did talk Frank into coming with me so get ready! Shocked I'm sure he will have endless questions.

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 09/29/14 at 21:23:49

@ Steve D ~ thanks for the clarification on the new amp design.  It sounds like this will be something special within the Decware lineup and I'm interested in buying this one.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #71 - 09/30/14 at 11:54:55

Steve, also, thanks for the info. I'm with you LR an Beowulf...count me in!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #72 - 10/01/14 at 17:02:33

Well, 48 hours till' the FEST!

Do post from your phones/impressions of Steve's OTL SET.
I look forward to discerning what I can with ~ online/Fest.

Have fun Fest goer's!

Whether, you decide to do Mono-Blocks or Single Chassis Steve....it's all good.......... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #73 - 10/01/14 at 19:07:50

Palomino and I have been chatting in E-mail, getting our Demo tunes lists together. He's great at finding demo tracks, and I'm good at finding the highest resolution version of whatever track. So it works out.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but Bri and I are doing the Zoo or the Wildlife preserve out in Peoria during the day, then we'll head over before or after dinner - sometime before dark, so we can play around with gear and be ready for Steve's late night events. I don't dare miss any of the OTL and/or Tape antics!! Plus I've not heard a good vinyl setup in decades...and *never* heard any of Steve's vinyl setup ever!

Same plan for us on Saturday, we'll be playing around Peoria, looking for local things to do, then heading over to Steve's shop before dark.

I *may* bring my DirectStream if anyone is curious, but I'm not sure I want to leave it there all day and all night. It would devastate me if it had an accident. I really couldn't afford fixing it if something broke. So it would only be there under supervision. If nobody cares, then I'll leave it at home - one less thing to worry about.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 10/01/14 at 19:12:24

I'd like to hear it, but then again I can hear it just about anytime because you are so close.  

I'll bring my Chord QuteHD because if I get a chance, I'd like to hear it in Steve's room and/or in a nearfield setup with a Zen and some traps.

It fits in my coat pocket, so its easy to transport. Wink

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #75 - 10/01/14 at 19:16:01

Yeah, but you have to figure out how to control the mini-DAC with Steve's setup?

My setup, while multi-component, is self-contained. It does involve DAC, Mini-Computer, External Hard Drive, L-PSU, and laptop! It only takes 15 minutes to setup though.  :)

I'm looking forward to hearing the Chord on the OTL. I think the density of information of the OTL, and the silkiness of that little DAC will be something interesting!

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 10/01/14 at 19:25:59

Didn't think about that.  It depends on what Steve uses as a player. If he goes USB out, then no worries because the Matrix USB to SPDIF converter is plug and play on a Mac.  You just have to set the output device to Matrix.

I'm going to bring my digital transport for the nearfield setup, but its probably not worthy of the big room. Cry

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 10/01/14 at 19:32:13

BTW, Steve if you are monitoring this thread, weigh in on if you want us farting around with our own equipment.

I know some people brought their home build amps last year and I loved hearing them.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #78 - 10/01/14 at 22:16:19

This is my plan this year...

The rack is equipped with my digital source, i.e. laptop for handling digital files and ZCD for handling rebook format CD's or IPods.  The ZCD player and computer both use the DSD DAC setting under the laptop.  The output of the DAC is hooked up to balanced transformer which will feed whatever we place on the top shelf.  Shown is the OTL SET amp.   Note:  The ZCD player is also cabled up so that anyone interested in hearing one on it's own without an external DAC can do so.

The space on the floor to the right and left of the rack is reserved for other components.  Each side has two open receptacles of filtered power.  There will be a pair of small one component stands available for each side that can elevate components around 24 inches - about the height of the ZCD player.  This will make it easier to handle and adjust the placed components as well as enable the use of 1 meter cables.  I am using our Silver Reference Cables on everything.

This is what you're going to have to work with.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #79 - 10/02/14 at 01:42:09

Can't until this years fest starts. I brought same LPs last year that where a big hit. LR and Palomino what's on your hit list. If I have it on vinyl I'll bring it. I there is anything anybody else wants to hear list it and if available I will bring it.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #80 - 10/02/14 at 04:27:45

You'll probably laugh, but I'd love to hear Heart's Little Queen album again. I've not listened to that on vinyl since...'88 or '90.

I can't think of anything else I've been curious about on Vinyl, but I am looking forward to it!

Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #81 - 10/02/14 at 17:56:51

Keep in mind there won't be a lot of play time for vinyl this year, as I have the vinyl rig set up on the analog side of the room which won't be turned on until 8:00 P.M.  My plan is to demo the tape machines first, then any good vinyl after that.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #82 - 10/02/14 at 19:01:33

Steve, what is the per ch/output power of the OTL SET?

Steve wrote:
"...the tube of choice (6C33C) is capable of driving very low impedances so with a second tube acting as a current source on the cathode of the first it is possible to drive an 8 ohm speaker directly with no output transformer".

......sweet/like your other Amps (capable of driving low impedance). I hope you decide to build it. Or, at least 8 or 10 of them (mono's or single chassis). I want one.

My ZMA with CSP3 are a permanent fixture in my Listening Room. I think, an my hunch is, the OTL SET won't be leaving either.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #83 - 10/02/14 at 20:18:17

Into 8 ohms it does around 30 watts.

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #84 - 10/02/14 at 21:32:56

Perfect. Thanks Steve, an have a great Fest.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 10/02/14 at 21:38:04

Steve Deckert wrote on 10/02/14 at 20:18:17:
Into 8 ohms it does around 30 watts.

Hi Steve, is it too early to determine where the new amp will fit into the Decware lineup price structure?  I was hoping you may release a SET with more watts midway between the Mini Torii MT2 and Torii MK IV price wise, which there is a nice gap ($1800 - $3500) to fill with a Decware product, but I'm not sure if this is the one that can fit there.

Thanks!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #86 - 10/02/14 at 22:50:23

You must have missed the memo a few posts back? The C note count on this....well it is you know..... .  Seven power supply stages under the hood................ .  .....for starters......

Just kidding, like you said, you were not sure if it fits there.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 10/02/14 at 23:47:55

beowulf, Steve's comments from earlier in this thread:

"I don't really want to make an amplifier that people won't buy, so this year at the fest I am going to give my prototype OTL a lot of air time to see peoples reactions and try to gauge the amount of money they would be willing to spend on this kind of sound.  

Amplifiers using tubes like this AND built the old school way are far from practical and anything but cheep. For example, this OTL SET amp requires 7 power supplies, the largest being a high voltage supply rated at 4000 mA. A Torii or Mystery Amp by comparison uses only 300 ~ 340 mA. An amplifier like this OTL creates enough heat to keep a room warm in the dead of winter, so using it during the summer in a small room would be difficult without central air. Does it sound better than a Torii or ZMA, yes it does. Does that make it a better sounding amp, not nessesarily. We'll just see what people think about it and without knowing how much it would cost to make a pair of monoblocks we'll just say 10 grand.  If we don't throw out a number like this, literally everyone will want a Decware OTL SET amplifier until they find out what it costs and then they'll be disappointed. This is in fact why I've always kept it either hidden or off limits during past Decfests."

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 10/03/14 at 01:28:39

Thanks Stone and Lin ... I missed that ... Shocked

I'm out, I was hoping for something more pratical, say something along the lines of a 15 watt set, a Super Zen on steroids.

next ... Grin

IP Logged
patshrews
Verified Member

Reply #89 - 10/03/14 at 02:21:55

I'm stuck at DFW airport till tomorrow. I won't even get to Peoria till 10pm. Looks like Friday is completely shot.

Torii Mk. IV
Schiit Gungnir
Zu Omen Bookshelfs
with HO drivers
Decware Reference Interconnects
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #90 - 10/03/14 at 03:10:02

It's that time of the year .....

I'm still breathing, so I will be there .....

Should be rolling in a little after noon tomorrow (Friday).

Looking forward to seeing everyone and enjoying some tunes,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #91 - 10/03/14 at 04:16:16

Quote:
I'm out, I was hoping for something more pratical, say something along the lines of a 15 watt set, a Super Zen on steroids.

Yeah, I was thinking/hoping along the same lines. I feel that if Steve finds this Russian MIG tube good to work with on all levels, then it would happen.

Plus, as mentioned in Steve's quote, he wants to make what people would want - you never know, maybe lots of people want a Super Zen based on the MIG tube.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #92 - 10/03/14 at 14:21:48

The count down continues (main page).

I have the Live feed up....the ZMA is in place to open the show!

My Transporter is on the Fritz!
(You do know the Philadelphia experiment did happen-just not successfully). We are not ready yet..... .

But, the Holodeck is about to open!

Okay, all kidding aside...I do look forward to the Feed.

However, I will have to check out late-late night tonight.
I will be at the Dakota seeing Lee Ritenour for the 9pm show!
He has not been in the Twin Cities for quite some time. I need to be there...so I will be.
http://www.dakotacooks.com/event/lee-ritenour/

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #93 - 10/03/14 at 19:34:12

I am listening an liking the DM946. I think I need to bring a pair in with the base = 947.

I have Steve's Zen Styx for 94db Speakers an up; driven direct by my DAC(s) into my ZMA or my other Zens. However, when using the CSP3 with 89, 90 an 91db rated Speakers (my favorites).....my Kimber Select is needed. My point being, I should bring in a pair of Steve's Speakers...that being the Monoliths.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
patshrews
Verified Member

Reply #94 - 10/03/14 at 23:57:11

Hi everyone. My flight is coming in late tonight. I'm staying at the Pere Marquette. Is anyone available to give me a lift to Decfest Saturday morning? Please call or text me at 714-892-1569.

Thanks
Pat

Torii Mk. IV
Schiit Gungnir
Zu Omen Bookshelfs
with HO drivers
Decware Reference Interconnects
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 10/04/14 at 01:02:44

Hey Decfest folks. Out here in NM I envy you!

I have been writing a review on the Torii MKIV, giving me a lot of time for careful listening and thoughts. This won't be that useful if Steve does not have a MKIV with a lot of hours on it, but if he does, and you have time, Reconstructive Feedback may be fun to check out. Here it took more than 600 to really hear all the amp's subtle potential. Unfortunately, I did not note where the Feedback shifted from diffused to all it can be, but I think this happened a little earlier. Now, with over 1000 hours, my Torii is really amazing, pretty different amp than pre 600 hours.

Here is part of my review. My source is a NOS Tranquility DAC 44.1/16 from a tweaked Mini with a separate Firewire drive for the music, with vibration control and weight, a good USB cable, and linear USB power separating the USB power to the DAC from computer power. This combo is great at micro detail, and is no doubt part of what I am hearing here.

"Reconstructive Feedback:

For a long time I kept it switched off, preferring the more focused sound. But this changed with long burnin. At some point the feedback effect became tighter, clearer, and very tasteful… spacious, but no longer diffused. Now I Need to keep it on.

Compared with my MKIII, the soundstage here is similarly saturated, wide and deep, but the MKIV sound with reconstructive feedback is different, increasing subtle information. It heightens the complexity of detail while enhancing liquidity and spaciousness. This refines everything, from the sound of wood, brass or skin, to each player's space, and finally wide ambient decays fading way past my walls. Also, recording ambience more completely and seamlessly integrates with my room ambience. From note hits to fading trails, it feels like it takes bits of information and divides them into more bits. The increased fine detail and greater sense of resolution make tones and edges smoother and more complex at the same time. It can be heard throughout, but shows best in edges and ambience.

My soundstage was already quite good here, but if memory serves, the reconstructive feedback from the MKIV gives mixes with less focus on soundstage more soundstage definition than the MKIII.

There is a lot good about this design, but with my source and system/room, the Reconstructive Feedback switch is really sort of revelatory, bringing the rest to fruition. "

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 10/04/14 at 21:44:58

Well I have come and gone.  Good fest this year for me even though it was short.

Palomino's pick at this years fest was the OTL into Bob's new "el caminos"
That's not the official name but Bob hadn't named them yet so that's the first thing that popped into my head.  ;)

The Minnesota orchestra fanfare for the common man was the song that left me slack jawed.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #97 - 10/05/14 at 05:28:51

I liked the other (slightly higher rez) version of that song better on that setup.

So was the OTL everything I said it was?

I do like Zygi's new speakers as well. I think they'd give the 944 a run for the money...though I'd have to put them side by side to be sure. The 944 just have such fast bass, the make too many other speakers sound slow (even the Anthony Gallo 3.1)

The tapes Steve played (that I caught) sounded amazing - I'm sad I didn't get to hear the Beatles tapes, but that was my fault for simply not being there at the right times.

Some great times and great conversations with everyone. It was great just chatting it up with everyone.

I really do hope Steve produces some sort of OTL in the future. It is really a sexy sound...though you really do have to be mindful of your source material and source device. An analytic DAC with an OK recording would probably be too dry and difficult to handle. But a silkier DAC and excellent recording would be mesmerizing.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 10/05/14 at 16:58:43

Are the "el caminos" the 944 replacements?  Any other highlights from the festival?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #99 - 10/05/14 at 18:22:49

"Are the "el caminos" the 944 replacements?

Yes, they have a dome tweeter and DNA style woofer loading.
FWIW I like the new speakers much better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print