Send Topic Print
Chasing that last 5% (Read 9450 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Chasing that last 5%
05/06/14 at 16:21:24

I just read this article about coffee, and chasing that last few percent. And  I think a lot of what's said here rings true in our world as well.

There is a point, where no piece of gear, cable, or intricate setup is going to do any more than the source will allow us to draw.

https://tonx.org/frequency/brewing-perfection?campaign_name=140506_f34a83e92f&cu...
stomer_id=100,384

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Chasing that last 5%
Reply #1 - 05/06/14 at 16:27:02

Also to add: the last paragraph about real coffee and "k-cups" reminds me of high def vs MP3 in our world. Fun analogs between these esoteric hobbies.

SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/06/14 at 19:11:41

(only partially related to the 'can't improve on a limited source' idea)

For me, with music, striving for another few %.... "Good enough" is a price point.

Yes, I want the best bang/value/sound for the money.

Yes, it takes exponentially more money to get another couple % "improved" sound.

Yes, passing my budget limits makes me reflect, is what I have "good enough"? (And, did I spend wisely, in the right places?  Unfortunately, you have to ride the merry-go-round for a while in order to gain the wisdom to even guess at an answer. Or follow the advice of others who've been riding longer than you. Smiley  )

For these reasons, I read and read about dsd/pcm for example, and wonder how close to that bleeding edge do I want to get.   (side note... I just broke down and got on spotify...and I tell you, the convenience of having so much so accessible even at lower quality... it's reduced my drive to build my lossless music collection)

5% from the goal line can look like eternity.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 05/07/14 at 01:57:50

What an excellent topic. Glad you brought it up.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/07/14 at 02:45:23

Oh if only I knew much earlier what I know now: I would have found a way to just get the Torii Mk III, the HR-1s, and the PS Audio power components and DAC. Though I had a lot of fun along the way (and I have to factor in that for a long time there WERE no HR-1, Mk III, PWD, PPP, etc.!) And I would have never stopped spinning lps or gotten back into them much sooner.

What I've learned is that with these great amps and speakers you need great clean power and the very best front end you can afford.
They will reward you!

Hindsight is 20/20. But oh well, the journey has fun moments.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 05/07/14 at 13:55:59

Lon,

How many times have I wanted to time travel for audio purposes! If for no other reason than what my hearing used to be. As you mentioned, there were some great experiences along the way, but it still was toward a common goal. I feel as though I have made the toughest grade with the ZOB speakers, and now the 34.I.3 amp. My power situation is also at peak. The last move is for a better source. My CD player is giving me yet more quirks, and I am searching for the next step (that would be the 5% or MORE in this case).

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/07/14 at 14:03:06

Yes, that 5%, we don't need it right? We can just stop, right?

Hmmm. . . sure makes sense to stop but somehow I think we'll keep working towards that 5%.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 05/07/14 at 14:51:52

I read a good joke the other day that I think also fits into our audiophile philosophy a little bit.

A mathematician and an engineer agreed to take part in an experiment. They were both placed in a room and at the other end was a beautiful naked woman on a bed. The experimenter said every 30 seconds they would be allowed to travel half the distance between themselves and the woman. The mathematician said "this is pointless" and stormed off. The engineer agreed to go ahead with the experiment anyways. The mathematician exclaimed on his way out "don't you see, you'll never actually reach her!?" To which the engineer replied, "so what? Pretty soon I'll be close enough for all practical purposes.!"

So my thought when it comes to our audio goals, are we the Mathematician always only halving the distance to goal, or are we the Engineers "close enough for all practical purposes?"

Yes, my brain actually works like this.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 05/07/14 at 15:26:22

I'm thinking "The mathematician is single, the engineer is married."

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 05/20/14 at 21:26:44

You need to get a CSP3. What it is bringing to the ZMA I don't find to even be arguable.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 05/21/14 at 19:22:07

I'm running XLR now, and really enjoying it.

When Steve makes a CSP3-XLR or CSP4 with XLR, then I'll jump in. Smiley

I wouldn't mind being able to switch between tape and oppo.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/21/14 at 19:31:41

LR,  ask Steve...I'd bet he'd do it for you.  For a price! Wink  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 09/08/14 at 16:21:05

Thinking of this again, chasing the little increments of improvement. I'm beginning to lean towards the mathematician's viewpoint, what's the point, we'll never get there, it's always a changing 5 percent as well.

But I know I'm more like the engineer. It's crazy, a money drain and really not behavior one should recommend. But it is what it is.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print