Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:39:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Welcome to the Analog Tape forum! (Read 6921 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Welcome to the Analog Tape forum!
05/05/14 at 19:54:38

Buy popular request, the Analog Tape Forum awaits your discussions!

Here you can learn about Reel to Reel (and other) tape formats, where to find reel to reel decks and reel to reel tapes to listen to. Knowledge is the key to success with this format which my explain why it has been all but forgotten.

When I see people spend tens of thousands of dollars on digital sources and all the things that go with it, I have to wonder if it's because they want to hear how good recorded music can sound in their system... you know, have more of those WOW moments.

It's not shortly thereafter I wonder why not spend $500 ~ $2500 on a 60 ~ 160 pound professional reel to reel and get some master tapes.  That's as good as a source gets, period.  That's the reference.  For many it will blow away your digital and vinyl so bad you realize that even spending 50 grand on a DAC isn't going to fix it.

Not everyone has these results because it's a very hands on, mechanical experience that requires proper alignment and some general knowledge about how to set things.  Between NAB and IEC and the three basic bias settings combined with two different playback heads each with it's own azimuth adjustment, there are probably 16 or so possible settings for each recorded tape you listen to.  Get them right and it's a holy shit moment... get one wrong and the very resolution that makes analog so right suddenly makes it more apparent than normal that something is wrong.  Of course at that moment it's easy to loose sight of the superiority of tape.

This forum is going to help you know what to do, what to get, how to use it.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Welcome to the Analog Tape forum!
Reply #1 - 05/05/14 at 20:37:40

Steve Deckert wrote on 05/05/14 at 19:54:38:

When I see people spend tens of thousands of dollars on digital sources and all the things that go with it, I have to wonder if it's because they want to hear how good recorded music can sound in their system... you know, have more of those WOW moments.

-Steve

I'm glad you created this forum, it's going to be nice to have this tape talk all in one place so those that are interested can find it and join in and those that aren't that interested can step past it.

As someone who hasn't spent tens of thousands on digital equipment but has spent a lot I can tell you I've done it because I am willing to sacrifice "WOW" moments a-plenty to have the music I want to listen to sound really good, and it has and will in the digital format. I have ooodles of digital items to listen to and what I see available on "master tape" is mostly not what I want to listen to and so very little of what I do want to listen to, so I don't want to become the type of "audiophile" that just chases the best sound, I want to pursue my musical interests more freely, I want to enjoy the collection I have, in great sound. With excellent digital sources and Decware amplification and pre-amplfication and speakers I can and have done so, with great joy. And with a nice turntable and the ZP3 (one of the greatest of the Decware products) I can have plenty of WOW moments on vinyl, and far more easily and less expensively find music on lps that I really want to listen to. For me it's about the music, which is why I continue to improve my digital playback and won't go down what (for me) would be a deadend pursuing tape decks.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/14 at 22:18:28

Thanks  for the wiggle room steve ( "Reel to Reel and other  ) tape formats" My Nakamichi still gives great service. Great vintage sound and handy for my vintage Leak tuner and albums if I want to make a tape for the  Saab which is old enough to have cd and tape players.

Talking of WoW moments I`ve just had a v/nice one while playing Zappas " Overnight Sensation " his co singer appeared above and just behind my head.....and I`m sitting with the wall right behind me. I just felt immersed in it. The Decware amp line-up is superb.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/15/14 at 02:33:01

Thank you Steve, for this forum.
I have been quite fascinated by your descriptions of the superior sound of the open reel masters.  I always like reading what you have to say about the sound of various equipment or media.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/18 at 03:43:12

Glad to see this forum.  I’ve been intrigued by the various comments about analog tape that I’ve read but today intrigue has turned to serious interest - I was given, yes given an Otari MX5050 B-2HD.

The unit looks to be in very good shape and it’s next stop will be to have it checked, calibrated, demagnetized etc.  At first I didn’t know what to make of this machine until I talked to Steve and discovered that he has one among other tape machines.

Can’t wait to add this to my all Decware System and very likely a ZBIT.  Here I thought that I was getting close to the end of the journey  8-).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print