Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 15:55:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Altec Lansing 846 speakers running with Rachael (Read 4203 times)
rsnyder1963
Verified Member

Altec Lansing 846 speakers running with Rachael
04/22/14 at 00:43:23

Finally finished rebuilding some home built Altec Lansing 846 Valencia speakers originally built by my father in 1973.  Had the drivers rebuilt by Great Plains Audio, damped the horns and added bracing to the enclosures as well as encompassing them in solid walnut.  Steve gave me some advice about a minimalist crossover and I have finally come up with 8.2 microfarad capacitors in series with 4 ohm resistors on the tweeters along with 8 ohm resistors in parallel to the tweeters.  I am running the woofers full range.  It's the best sound I have ever had.  Thanks, Steve!  I haven't taken any measurements yet, so they may need further tweaking, but I think not much. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Altec Lansing 846 speakers running with Rachael
Reply #1 - 04/22/14 at 02:20:25

When horns are done right, there is little that can compare. The dynamics of horns astound me, and 'regular' speakers can sound pretty dead for awhile.   Of course, you MUST take pictures...

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print