Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/17/24 at 00:25:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY speakers for Rachael (Read 17115 times)
jamc
Verified Member

DIY speakers for Rachael
03/22/14 at 22:35:31

I am looking to build a pair of DIY speakers, maybe these manifold horns-  http://p10hifi.net/FH/downloads/SpawnHorn-v2-planset-070412.pdf ,or the Vulcan- http://www.wodendesign.com/Vulcan.html
Is the Rachael able to drive the big 8" Fostex FE206En 8" Full Range units, 8 ohm, 96db?
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-fullrange/fostex-fe206en-8-full-ra...
Thanks

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: DIY speakers for Rachael
Reply #1 - 03/23/14 at 03:02:26

Single driver, no crossover and very efficient ... I'm going to say a resounding yes.  I'm driving a pair of 7", single driver, crossover-less speakers from Omega (8ohms @ 95dB) with a Decware Taboo Mk II (6 watts) and it gets plenty loud with the dial only half way and I'm using it in a medium sized room.  

The Taboo that I'm using requires more gain than the Rachel or even the Zen Select so I need a Preamp or Gain Stage to get the most out of it, so I'm betting the Rachel or Zen is going to be even louder that the 6 watt Taboo that I'm already using.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 03/23/14 at 03:44:22

Unless you like to listen at ear- splitting volume, you'll have no trouble
driving those with authority

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
jamc
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/23/14 at 14:37:21

Thanks. I am going to go the 'Vulcan' route- designed by the same guy it appears and the plans cost money vs the other design but that's ok.
My Rachael/HE-500 experiment was a failure I am afraid. Horrible sound through the planers- muddy, muffled, little detail, no punch vs the Shiit Asgard. Like listening with a half dozen potato sacks between the headphones and your ears. A night and day difference and maybe indicates solid state with the planers is the way to go.
I look forward to using these speakers.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 04/19/14 at 15:23:22

Jamc- Please keep posting regarding this project. I purchased a set of Fostex 206 years ago when I bought my original Zen amp kit. Built the amp (which is awesome) but never did anything with the drivers. I am now in the process of selling off my electronics to purchase a whole Decware rig and the Vulcan design seems very interesting. Thanks for rekindling the Fostex idea.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 04/19/14 at 17:36:03

I can't relay much about Fostex, but I think that it is safe to say sensitivity of the driver gives a good idea as to what it takes to drive them. Using the FRX2, which is an 8" driver, I have just what I need at 3/4 volume using higher gain input tubes(6N2P vs 6N1P). I would be the first to mention if there wasn't enough bass, and in this case, there is no problem. Most all of the audible frequency range is being driven with authority.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
jamc
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/29/14 at 22:48:36

Quick update- Vulcan speakers are built but only used at work with an Emotiva a-100 50W amp and Bottlehead Quickie battery powered tube preamp from Mac with Audirvana Plus. Barely turn the amp volume and lots of sound- clean, clear, a little weak in bass but I can tweak the wool felt dampening in the enclosure. Not used with the Rachael yet but driving the speakers will not be an issue- I read that a speaker with 95 dB sensitivity can be driven loud (100 dB) with only 3W... these enclosures are big- 73-1/2" H x 11-1/2"W x 18" D. Made the outriggers for stability out of 1/2" x 2" steel strap, drilled and tapped for 3/8-16 bolts for plumb adjustment  ;D

2014-05-16_12_24_40.jpg
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 05/30/14 at 03:03:17

The Quickie is one of my all time favorites, especially with the PJCCS option. It is worthwhile since it does help the bass out. Also, what is the FS of the driver to begin with?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
jamc
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/30/14 at 03:38:06

'...what is the FS of the driver to begin with? '  45Hz

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 05/30/14 at 04:01:57

That is a good number. By the look of the cabinet, there is good volume as well. Maybe I missed it, but is the cabinet vented? I found that there is a certain amount of damping material that spreads out the Q, but exceeding it starts to drop the bass output. I imagine that the type of damping material also plays a factor.

IP Logged
jamc
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/30/14 at 04:16:38

see this link-http://www.wodendesign.com/Vulcan.html
The back is open. The designer suggests 18" off back wall for placement and go from there.
Used this 'very soft gray F13' 1/2" wool felt as suggested in the area immediately behind the driver.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=s6muu4
Dave at Planet10hifi did the driver mods- he calls it the 'enabled' treatment with phase plug etc...
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 05/30/14 at 20:29:46

The Vulcan design is very appealing to me once I got  a look at it. Simple in nature, and yet can be worked with using a variety of damping materials. The ultra soft F26 felt would be my guess to use, if in fact, it has enough body to it, and is not compressed. Any damping material would be better suited if it were to have a body of 2". I am thinking of the consistency that fiberglass insulation or rock wool has. Placement into the room may help the balance for the bass, but of course, experimentation is needed. I am curious to hear your impressions.

IP Logged
jamc
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 05/30/14 at 22:09:38

I am going to try and move these bad boys home next week and 'sneak' them into the house- not sure that will work... will update when hooked up to the Rachael.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 05/31/14 at 01:33:10

"Sneek?" "Sneekes?" "We doesn't sneeks master." Oh, but Gollum told them in the Hobbit.
I tried to sneek a new CD player into the living room. It was easier 'cuz it was black...just like the piece before it. But when I tried to sneek in Rachael, there wasn't a chance.
You might try hiding them behind those large green drapes that you have. Otherwise, brace yourself.

IP Logged
jamc
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 05/31/14 at 01:45:27

You are right, perhaps 'sneak' is being too optimistic...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
jamc
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 06/15/14 at 16:01:40

Well I am very, very happy with these speakers and the Rachael. I played with the damping material and that and a new location in a bigger room gave me a lot more bass. These won't make your ears bleed but plenty loud to push it.
Highly recommend the Vulcans.
Macbook> Audirvana Plus> Audioengine D1 DAC (getting something better)>Rachael>Vulcans.
Lossless AIFF/FLAC files.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print