Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 20:52:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DM945/passive cabinets and Super Zen combo?? (Read 17013 times)
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

DM945/passive cabinets and Super Zen combo??
02/17/14 at 07:57:59

I was wondering if anyone who has these can provide me real world testimonials about this potential combination. I already have the Super Zen and Dm945s but I'm really looking at the passive horn cabinets for the DM945s to augment and fill in the last octave of sub bass. I really like this concept because its a custom stand and subwoofer in one that doesnt require an external amp, however  I'm a little cautious because the SuperZen is only 2 wats. Will this be enough to hear a significant difference with the passive cabinets? The cabinets aren't cheap and I wanted to make sure my SuperZen will be a good match for it. Thanks

Kevin T.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: DM945/passive cabinets and Super Zen combo??
Reply #1 - 02/17/14 at 12:33:11

Kevin,

If you have enough with the combo now, adding the horn will just be icing on the cake, so to speak. It isn't going to require anymore amplifier  power for  the horn to do its thing if that is your concern.

Welcome to the forum.....

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 02/18/14 at 12:17:23

Hello Zygi, I hope you keep doing fine!

Could you kindly explain what are the specific contributions of the cabinets added to the DM945's?

I have the Mini-Torii + DM945's (Mundorf Supreme Caps) and an active Subwoofer (Velodyne). What would the cabinets do for me?

Considering the price of the cabinets are the same as the DM945's, these should bring a lot of substance to the mix to become cost-effective.

How heavy are the cabinets for shipping considerations?

Thanks for any information.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 02/18/14 at 14:09:11

Fireblade,

I'm doing well and continue to get better every day. Couldn't ask for any more!

Companion cabinets....first off, let me make it clear, I do not build or make anything from the companion cabinets, so my opinions are not money motivated, quite the opposite really.

The companion cabinets add dynamics, soundstage, and bass. Most impressive is there ability to add soundstage, (hard to explain but I get it) and the bass, forget about it!

There is no way using a sub you can integrate the bass to the main speakers more effectively. I don't care if you use several subs placed around the room in a swarm  (I think they are calling it these days) This may be a way around  room mode issues, but it doesn't  integrate as well.

Hope this helps,
Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 02/19/14 at 01:31:59

I'm happy to learn about your improved health, Zygi.

Amazing, I certainly could understand the bass improvements via the added resonance volumes and Venturi-derived low pressure passage effects on the lower frequencies, but it was not intuitive in my mind (my fault) that the effect would carry over to other important sound quality aspects like those you mention.

It definitely needs to be considered in my future. BTW, what is the weight and volume involved when packaged for shipping?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/19/14 at 03:00:26

It's been my experience that a lot of the depth of the sound, and a perception of the room size and nature, come from an extended and quick sounding bass region. Factoring this in, to me it makes sense that the cabinets add soundstage and imaging definition and improvement.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/19/14 at 08:24:24

Thanks for clarifying all this Zygi. That is hard to comprehend that these passive cabinets can do so much. Anyways, after talking to Steve this morning I placed the orders for the cabinets. And I will send the 945s back to him to have him install an optional phase plug on the silver flutes. Its supposed to slightly bring out the midrange more and so I thought I might as well go for this. Steve is still trying to update his dm945 webpage/options so please talk to him if anyone is interested in this. Anyone who is familiar with Zu audio knows that they also use a phase plug on their mids to augment the midrange. I'm a big midrange guy and so I had to have this. I will also have Steve install Clarity Cap MR on the tweeters since they are so affordable. I can't wait for this combination to be done. I'll post updates here.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/20/14 at 21:05:04

I think you were smart to get both the phase guide and the cap.  What I heard at Decfest was a different speaker.  So much so that I got up and inspected the speaker and noticed the wave guide.

Steve explained that the removal of the dust cap was necessary because the increase in the bottom end via the horn required more from the mids to balance out.  At least I think this is what he was talking about.

Also, he said the horn was not unlike what is in the DNA horn.  The DNA speaker tosses a pretty good sound stage.  I think it benefits from putting out a wide sound wave out the back.  Per what Lon said, the bass is very quick on these horns.  They image well and disappear easily in my room.  Different speakers, but the same concept and possibly the same result.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #8 - 02/20/14 at 23:27:35

This is a crucial point that needs to be addressed/explained by someone at Decware. If the required changes are not easy DIY, it will make it prohibitive for people with DM945's living outside the US to adopt these cabinets due to the two-way shipping/customs for a somewhat bulky and heavy piece.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/21/14 at 04:43:42

It's removing a dust cap and placing the wave guide in the cavity.  Dust cap removal is a little tricky but it could be DIY.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/21/14 at 08:17:15

Thanks for the clarification Palomino. How did the DM945s ( with the phase guide) and passive cabinet combination sounded to you compared to the other Decware speakers such as the HDT and DNA at the most recent Decfest? From just watching and listening on the videos, I didn't realize the phase guide was on because the grills never came off, assuming it would have been visible. Also, did anyone upgraded the caps in the 945s ? If so what caps were used and how were the results? I'm hoping the Clarity MR is a good choice and won't make the highs too bright or clinical sounding.  

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 02/21/14 at 11:50:24

Thanks for the feedback, Palomino. I'm still not clear on what this entails (I don't even know what a dust cap is). Anyway, when the time comes I'm sure somebody could show us the step-by-step procedure. The important thing is it is DIY.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/21/14 at 12:34:57

It's worth a conversation with Steve or an email to confirm he'd recommend DIY.  I'm saying it could be DIY.

The dust cap is the black dome in the middle of the speaker.  Google "remove dust cap" and there will be some illustrations, probably a YouTube instructional video.  

You can check these out and decide if it's something you like to attempt. Then I'd contact Steve to get his take.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/21/14 at 14:09:46

This video will give you the idea on dust cap removal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uOvO0yiF3s

Kevtn8, I liked the DM945s with the companion cabinets the best of all the speakers I heard at Decfest.  It may be that my personal taste runs towards the horn speakers.  Another caveat is that I listened to them mostly with the ZMA which is a fantastic amp.  It made all the speakers sound really, really good.

For example, I had heard the HDTs at a past fest and thought they sounded good, but I thought with the ZMA they sounded exceptional.  Same thing for the DM944s.  I did not get much time with the ERRx or the Omni's.  But from what I heard, I still liked the 945s the best.

I think it is hard to go wrong with a Decware amp/speaker combo unless you somehow end up with an underpowered speakers.  These speakers are designed and tweaked using the Decware amps.  That said, I think the Rachael/DM945 combo is loud enough for most people.  I can't really speak to the Zen/DM945 combo.

Others who have spent more time with all these speakers and different Decware amps may be able to offer better guidance.

Edit: Oh, and I have never regretted upgrading the capacitor in any speaker.  Zygi turned me on to the mudorf tin foil caps which I like.  They are around $25 each though.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 02/21/14 at 19:01:15

Thanks for the link, Palomino.  It looks more involving than I was wishing for ... we'll see.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/03/14 at 02:54:18

Thanks for your input Palomino. Sorry I've been so busy with work. Your strong opinion of the passive cabinets and custom phase guide have really made me excited. I have already sent my speakers back to Steve for the modifications and the cabinets will arrive this Thursday. My only concern is how will the small amp handle the extra horn cabinets. There was not much time allocated on the Decfest videos to this combo, however what I did hear sounded very promising. Steve assured me that the improvements from the cabinets will carry over regardless of the amp with the main difference being the stronger amps having more headroom.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/03/14 at 16:36:32

ZYGI Wrote:

Quote:
The companion cabinets add dynamics, soundstage, and bass. Most impressive is there ability to add soundstage, (hard to explain but I get it) and the bass, forget about it!

There is no way using a sub you can integrate the bass to the main speakers more effectively. I don't care if you use several subs placed around the room in a swarm  (I think they are calling it these days) This may be a way around  room mode issues, but it doesn't  integrate as well.

From ZYGI's comments it would seem that the Decware Companion Cabinets do for the DM945's what the HSU Mid Bass Module did for my Super Zen with conventional Klipsch speakers. "Adds dynamics, soundstage and bass. Most impressive is their ability to add soundstage."

There is something really magical that happens when you properly augment the Mid-Bass on a simple Super Zen / Speaker combo. So I can understand the results described by ZYGI based on my experience with the Mid Bass Module over the past 2 years.

As ZYGI states one or more subs can't replicate the effect. Believe me I've tried for many years. It was not until I started experimenting with the Mid Bass Module that I realized the real magic is in the Mid-Bass range (50-200 Hz).

Before the Mid Bass Module about 20% of my CD collection got very little play. Recordings came across thin, dry, sterile. After the Mid Bass Module I can honestly say nothing sounds bad on the system. There is a lot of interesting detail in the Mid-Bass region if you can dig that out. I"m looking forward to see if kevtn8 has a similar experience with the DM945 companion cabinets?

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/10/14 at 03:51:58

DBC, I've been following your thread on "adding body n weight" and I find the Midbass Module a very interesting product. However after careful consideration and talking to Steve , the passive horn cabinets was a no brainer upgrade for my DM945s. According to Steve, the low bass extension is only 1 part of the equation that gets improved. I was equally excited about the improvements to the soundstage , dynamics, and overall midrange clarity. Even if these cabinets give me half of the performance of your midbass module in your system, I consider it a great investment (and achievement by Steve) because my amp is only 2 watts with no external amp for the bass and I'm also not using any preamp. My speakers are being modified/upgraded with Steve right now and it shouldn't be much longer before I get them back. I might also invest in a preamp like the CSP3 in the future to further add weight n body to the music. As for now I'm sticking with what I have because my current room is pretty small and I feel what I have is more than adequate for the job. I'll update once my speakers are back.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #18 - 03/10/14 at 12:54:52

Great news, Kevin!

The DM945's have big 8" woofers, so the only limiting factor to having a good low extension and impact is the volume in the small cabinets. This is a constraint stemming from the  bookshelf design, as many people do not have the room for floor-standing speakers (I used to have that restriction myself at the time).

Once you allow those big woofers to expand and move some air mass around, I'm sure the bass, weight and body will come out. The interesting thing in this revision is the intelligently designed pathway for that mass of expanded air to go through (Venturi and low-pressure, air flow acceleration), which seems to go well beyond the mere volume increase to improve the sound.

As Zygi said, there's no substitute for deep bass, no matter how much mid bass you put on. I believe this solution is as ingenious as we have come to expect from Steve and Co.

Keep us posted on your findings. Thanks.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/28/14 at 05:56:32

So my modified speakers arrived 2 days ago. This is an early update of what my system is sounding like so far. This is only after 1 day of listening to the combo. There is something wrong with my dac so I'm currently borrowing my friend's Musical Paradise MP-D1.

My speakers still needs to break in as well as the rest of my system but what I'm hearing now is beyond words. The difference that the cabinets and phase guide have made is just incredible. Now I don't have much experience with alot of full size speakers or other amplifiers ( tube or solid state) but I believe I have a pretty good taste for overall musical balance. I have been an audiophile for awhile now but mostly in the car audio scene. My very first as well as current amplifier in my car is hybrid tube amp from Butler Audio. All of my friends are audiophiles and have been into tube systems before me so I kind of have a taste of what to look for. What amazes me the most so far after just a few hours of testing is that the Super Zen is only 2 watts and I'm also not using any preamp yet the soundstage and dynamics of my system is now taken up another 2 or 3 levels. I was listening with one of my friend earlier and we both agreed it sounded so "live" now. The bass integration is just fabulous and not overly done. Keep in mind I also have the phase guide installed. With that said, the bass is very musical and its seamless with the music. As a result there seems to be more weight and body to the music. 

Perhaps what made my day was when my father who is into live professional musical equipment because he likes to sing karaoke in the house complimented on my system. He was the one that recommended that I needed a subwoofer in my system a few weeks ago but now says my system is complete and lacks nothing  :)

I will keep on breaking in the speakers , Super Zen Select and rest of my system and will give another update later but I'm sure things will only go up from here. One final word for anyone looking into the DM945 to pair with the Super Zen but don't think it will measure up to a floorstander, please use my experience to rest your fears and worries and know that it can be done. I believe this speaker combo ( DM945 with phase guide paired with passive horns) , considering the price, ranks right up there with some of the best sounding speakers in the world for the dollar. Another masterpiece from Steve and Decware.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #20 - 03/28/14 at 12:31:34

I'm very happy for you, Kevin, to see all those early doubts vanishing. I knew that Zygi's opinion would be valid, and there you have it.

If only these cabinets were smaller and lighter, I could consider importing them myself. That, and the required phase modification are making this option too tough for me, unfortunately.

Enjoy!

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/28/14 at 18:03:38

kevtn8,

Happy to see your glowing review of the companion cabinets. In my earlier post I was simply trying to give you reason to be optimistic these would be everything ZYGI described while you waited for their arrival.

When I first read this thread I was struck by how ZYGI's description of what the companion cabinets do with the DM945's was exactly how I would describe what the HSU Mid Bass Module does with my Klipsch RF7's.

My theory on why Subs are not entirely seamless on music: I think the brain actually connects low frequencies from 20 hz all the way up to about 200 hz based on my experience with the Mid Bass Module.

If you visualize a horizontal line, the left extreme representing 20 hz and the right extreme representing 200 hz. Say in this example your mains drive good down to 50 hz so you set up a sub to handle the 20 to 50 hz range and raise the volume level in this range say +6 db. At some point the brain senses the abrupt change in level around the 50 hz point and says no good.

In my case I added the Mid Bass Module raising the volume level say +6 db in the 50 to 200 hz range "Sweet". Then when I introduce the sub at +6 db the entire range (20 to 200 hz) is at the same level "Sweeter". At some point if you continue raising the volume level it just becomes obvious there is too much Bass and you just back it off a bit.

Based on the description you and ZYGI have provided I suspect the DM945 companion cabinets not only go lower but also reinforce the upper Mid-Bass frequencies, hence the seamless integration. Perfect solution for anyone already equipped with the DM945's.

There is nothing better than getting a great bang for the buck and sounds like you scored here.

Enjoy.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/29/14 at 07:14:53

I want to further add that my experiences with this combination is totally unique to me. I'm not a basshead in anyway but I do appreciate a very balanced musical reproduction from top to bottom from my speakers and I believe I've found it with this combo.

I also want to point out that although most of the discussion so far has been on the passive horn cabinets and they definitely deserve it but I want to also add that Steve has superbly integrated his patented active phase guide with the Silver Flutes. After living with the stock DM945 for a few weeks, I felt that when properly used, the  Silver Flutes are one of the most underrated loudspeaker drivers I've ever heard but the midrange can be a little recessed if not used in a near field position. The addition of the phase guide greatly improves and augments the midrange to a point where it sounds so perfect now. Combined with the greatly improved bass, soundstage , and dynamics brought upon by the passive horns and imo, makes this combo one of the very best all around speakers in the world for the money.

Like most on here, I looked past the cabinets for several weeks until I realized I needed to augment the DM945 with some sort of subwoofer to balance the sound. At first I was very skeptical with the passive horns because my amp is only 2 watts, however after talking to Steve he really reassured me that I wouldn't be dissappointed because the main thing is that all of his amps can reproduce 20hz - 20khz and even the Super Zen will exploit the bass extension of the horn cabinets. The question is will it be enough for you? You will have to make that call based on how much bass you value/need in your music. I will stress that whoever decides to get the passive horn cabinets to pair with their DM945s, please also consider getting the Silver Flutes modified by Steve with his active phase guide as my unique experience are based on these additions. Steve has been fine tuning and perfecting his phase guide for nearly 10 years and he has really transformed the Silver Flutes into something special.

On a final note, with only 2 watts and no external active sub or preamp, I'm simply awestruck by the overall presence and musical balance of this modified speaker combo. You know the speakers has to be pretty good if 2 watts is all it needs to perform like that, at least for me.  

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 03/29/14 at 07:31:36

Do you have any pictures that you can share?

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 03/30/14 at 07:16:44

Busterfree, my room is very unorganized. My system layout n room acoustics isn't ideal due to all the stuff in my room. I basically have the DM945/cabinets combo to the side of an executive desk. My dac, Super Zen Select and laptop are on the desk. This is just a temporary situation until I buy a house. The cabinets are angled towards the middle of the room. I also raised the cabinets on each side about 3-4 inches so that the Silver Flutes aren't being blocked by the side of the desk. Its not the best situation but overall I'm still pretty happy. Now I need to gradually break in the rest of my system from cables and amp to dac and speakers.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 03/30/14 at 17:34:14

I understand. Thanks for describing your set up.

I am curious to see what the modified woofer looks like. I can got an idea of the horn section from the Decfest videos.

I would like another set of speakers, but I do not need another set of speakers.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/31/14 at 11:26:34

To get an idea of the phase guide, look to the Tang Band W5 1880 pictures in the DIY section for the DNA Horn.  When I talked to Steve he said it was the same principle.  Rather than the mids coming right at you, the wave guide disperses them around the room.

I noticed the difference in the way the speaker sounded at Decfest and took off the grill and had a look at it.  It's different than the W5, but again, the same principle.

IP Logged
kevtn8
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/01/14 at 02:56:20

Busterfree, the phase guide looks like the one used for his DFR-8 driver only its a white hard plastic mold/resin and on the Silver Flutes there is just the phase guide without the whizzer cones. There is also an O ring attached near the tip of the phase guide. Steve says this is because the phase guide was originally designed for the Fostex/ DRF-8 drivers and the Silver Flutes dustcap space is a little larger in diameter. It honestly doesn't look too bad in person however Steve reiterated here that the goal was all about sound quality and less with aesthetics.

Palomino, thanks for that information. That is a very interesting concept that Steve has implemented here. So far I have to give him the benefit of the doubt on whatever it is that he's trying to achieve with the phase guide as both my friend and I felt it integrated quite well with the horn cabinets. We both agreed that there was definitely more midrange. Also the midrange seemed much clearer... not sure if this is the result of the phase guide or the cabinets or both.  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/01/14 at 12:22:41

I'd guess you get lower midrange sound out of those cabinets which may make the midrange richer.

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/02/14 at 01:58:01

Quote:
Posted by: Palomino      Posted on: Yesterday at 03:26:34
To get an idea of the phase guide, look to the Tang Band W5 1880 pictures in the DIY section for the DNA Horn.  When I talked to Steve he said it was the same principle.  Rather than the mids coming right at you, the wave guide disperses them around the room.

I noticed the difference in the way the speaker sounded at Decfest and took off the grill and had a look at it.  It's different than the W5, but again, the same principle.

Quote:
Posted by: kevtn8      Posted on: Yesterday at 18:56:20
Busterfree, the phase guide looks like the one used for his DFR-8 driver only its a white hard plastic mold/resin and on the Silver Flutes there is just the phase guide without the whizzer cones. There is also an O ring attached near the tip of the phase guide. Steve says this is because the phase guide was originally designed for the Fostex/ DRF-8 drivers and the Silver Flutes dustcap space is a little larger in diameter. It honestly doesn't look too bad in person however Steve reiterated here that the goal was all about sound quality and less with aesthetics. ...

Thanks to you both. I think I have the idea now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print