Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 20:41:20 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 89522 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #550 - 09/10/14 at 03:00:36

Doing some gear testing - CSP2 on loan, along with the Gallo Reference 3.1 all sourced from the DirectStream.

Its going to take me a little while to figure out all the knobs, but already this is sounding good!

(sorry for another crappy photo, and with flash no less!)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #551 - 09/10/14 at 03:06:22

Cool!  

Is Al sending you his PWT to include in the mix?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #552 - 09/10/14 at 03:39:39

In theory. He's not messaged me, and mentioned he was busy with work.

So we'll see.

Some amazing sound right now - playing some Rockapella.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #553 - 09/10/14 at 23:58:14

FYI ~ I just got an email from Music Direct ... trade in "any" DAC get $1500 off towards the purchase of the DS.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #554 - 09/11/14 at 00:38:17

Just goes to show how much markup is on these. Go buy a $100 chinese DAC and get on with your big discount!

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #555 - 09/11/14 at 12:56:41

LR...anything to report on the impact of a seasoned CSP2 pre-amp after the DirectStream?

Also...how you liking those Gallo's?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #556 - 09/11/14 at 13:16:26

I posted about the Gallos in the ZMA thread.

I'm having issues with the Preamp - when I first put it in, and lower (medium vs normal listening) volume, it added a 3d sense to the music, but something else was different I couldn't put my finger on. Since I had also recently added the Gallo's, I couldn't say that it wasn't the speakers, or the speakers and preamp together making "weird" changes I was having trouble describing. I need time to use the preamp on my 944 so I can really suss out what it does, then add the Gallos back in and see what that additional change does. Too many changes at once and it's difficult to pick out who does what.

Off the bat, it's too much fiddling. Just when I think I got it right another song or album comes on and I'm like"crap this is horrid", I run over make some adjustments, then go back to cleaning or building PCs, then another song or album comes on and I'm like "damn , this is flat sounding" and I run over and make some adjustments, ad nauseam.

I'm at the point in my "listening career" where I *don't* want to fiddle. Sure I might be able to coax a better sound out of a so-so recording and make it more than just listenable...but I don't want to have to fiddle all the time...it's distracting from getting into the right headspace to launch into the music.

That said, when the preamp is *on* and the whole system, from recording to room are in synergy; it's pretty spectacular.

So I'm going to give it some time and see how I feel about it after a couple weeks. I was planning on returning this preamp to it's owner during Decfest, and making my decision by then.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #557 - 09/11/14 at 13:37:27

Lonely Raven wrote on 09/11/14 at 13:16:26:
Off the bat, it's too much fiddling. Just when I think I got it right another song or album comes on and I'm like"crap this is horrid", I run over make some adjustments, then go back to cleaning or building PCs, then another song or album comes on and I'm like "damn , this is flat sounding" and I run over and make some adjustments, ad nauseam.

I'm at the point in my "listening career" where I *don't* want to fiddle. Sure I might be able to coax a better sound out of a so-so recording and make it more than just listenable...but I don't want to have to fiddle all the time...it's distracting from getting into the right headspace to launch into the music.

That was exactly my dilemna earlier on in my Decware experience. I have too many crappy recordings of music I like a lot beter than a lot of the better recorded recordings. I began to seek components and cabling etc. that didn't accentuate the detail but had some sort of musical synergy. It has taken me a long time but I've managed to maintain a balanced overall gestalt that serves almost all my recordings well. WHEW. That's why I don't try to pursue every rabbithole and tweak for ultimate detail and transparency, one reason I haven't pursued room treatment etc. I've tried to incorporate that elusive "musicality" which is very subjective, but I've been successful at this. For the most part I sink down into serious enjoyment of listening and "watching". . .

Eric, I hope you can somehow hear a Decware preamp with the Jupiter caps; they really "make" any component I've had them in, and I think they will eliminate that undefined as yet "weirdness" you were hearing.

For my oddyssey I've found that cabling and the right front ends is the key to the "musical" nature of the playback. I'm pretty near the end of my journey. (But how many times have we said that?)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #558 - 09/11/14 at 14:59:44

Lon, I totally understand what you mean...which is why I've never discounted what you said when you state how set in your ways you are. I get it. I just like ribbing you about it.  :)

Quote:
Eric, I hope you can somehow hear a Decware preamp with the Jupiter caps; they really "make" any component I've had them in, and I think they will eliminate that undefined as yet "weirdness" you were hearing.

That's my instinctual feeling as well. The more transparent the preamp is, I think the more I'll like it. And I know that pretty much describes Steve's custom Jupiter caps.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #559 - 09/11/14 at 15:13:28

Yes, well I apologize if I don't take the ribbing as gracefully as I might once have. Sixty hour work week with no pay, and full of the sadness of my parents deteriorating before my eyes, and the pressure of wanting to be with my gal more but not able to as well as the accompanying dimishment of listening time that results from all this has made me a bit crustier than I would be. If I had the free time I had before I made this move, and had my own home again, I'd be inclined and able to 'modernize' and do room treatments, but alas and alack and all that.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #560 - 09/11/14 at 15:38:45

Oh, I get that too. Stone and I were just talking about that this weekend. I can only hope I have someone that cares about me as much as you do your parents, when I'm that age. Hats off to you sir!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #561 - 09/11/14 at 16:20:25

Well thanks. I won't have anyone when I come to that stage myself, so I'm working on the drop dead plan. Smiley

It's just not right to be "retired" and be so "tired." I haven't worked this hard since my twenties. Maybe it's good for me but it doesn't always feel that way. But I can't imagine not helping my parents, though I can imagine what I would do if I didn't have to, but I try not to as it's . . . frustrating. And happiness is not having to help your parents dress and undress and help with bodily functions . . . . I'm hoping to have this type of happiness again one day. This is the toughest part.

Been nearly a year and a half now, so . . .maybe another year or two to go before I just can't do it any longer. My gal Lucy says she'll hang in there with me because she loves that I do this. . . I hope we can hang together because she's made my life so much better. I'd prefer you take your hats off to her. Smiley

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #562 - 09/11/14 at 17:25:21

Quote:
I'd prefer you take your hats off to her. Smiley

Yeah, I can imagine you being difficult to put up with...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!   Grin

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #563 - 09/11/14 at 18:24:46

To the contrary, especially with women, I'm very easy to get along with. Smiley I'm very laid back and open. And I'm very respectful and can be very affectionate. Lucy doesn't face problems with ME, but the situation sure has its difficulties. I'm hoping we can continue to have enough, and more, time together. I want my future with her.

Well, to bring this back on topic, the DirectStream is really sounding wonderful. I know people talk about "detail" with this over and over and over, but what I would say is most amazing about it is its presentation: depth and ease and tonal balance are all combined to give a very complete and satisfying representation of the recording.

Pic below is Lon and Lucy in Austin last month, waiting for the bats to come out from under the bridge.

10600613_10152414940533931_3569060349233058358_n.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #564 - 09/11/14 at 21:46:56

I'm waiting for the new firmware to come out that will fix the software glitch that gave the measurement guys a fit. Since it's going to be an FPGA reprogram, it's going to sound somewhat different, though I'm betting not as much as going from the previous Firmware to the 6115 firmware.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #565 - 09/12/14 at 04:49:35

I'm probably not going to change the firmware. It's a giant PIA for me and I don't really want to muck with the sound.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #566 - 09/12/14 at 11:20:26

Wow, so thats Lon and his chic stepping out ! How long have I been putting a face to Lons posts ?

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #567 - 09/12/14 at 11:52:38

Well, I probably gained a little weight with each post. Smiley Was thinner at the beginning but pretty much the same.

That was a nice trip to Austin for Lucy's niece's wedding--our first trip together and probably the last chunk of time off I'll have til next summer. Sigh. But it was so much fun with Lucy, who had never been South or West before.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #568 - 09/14/14 at 20:03:43

Well, I'm back to running the DirectStream directly into the Torii Mk III. Even though there are pluses to running it with the CSP2+ I prefer it this way. The sound is often a bit too quiet with my DVR but I can always resort to "Narrow" on the audio output choices when needed. It compresses the signal a bit but it's not that noticeably inferior a sound. On all other sources there is more than enough gain and the sound is great directly in. I don't seem to have the "density" lack that Eric does, but we have different amps, and perhaps it's also output tube differences.

I'll be interested to hear any changes coming next week from an interconnect upgrade, I've managed to find a used VooDoo Cable Stradivarius interconnect that I decided to buy at a great price. Will be interesting to see how this improves the sound going straight into the amp, and I can then substitute one of my Ultralinear for the Evolution that is running from my ZP3 to my CSP2+.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #569 - 09/15/14 at 01:59:07

Quote:
Well, I'm back to running the DirectStream directly into the Torii Mk III. Even though there are pluses to running it with the CSP2+ I prefer it this way.

Late last night I switched to direct as well. It does some things better, but I'm losing a bit of punch that I like. I've not really had time to do a proper A/B - with/without the CSP2.

I'll probably still pick up a CSP3 with Jupiter caps - but may not use it all the time. I do like what a preamp does though.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #570 - 09/15/14 at 02:28:09

Well I have three machines, so I need a preamp to get two inputs to serve all my needs.

I miss a bit of thickness, heft weight, to the sound from using the preamp but contrarily enough with the Torii Mk III I think I get more punch, not less, because I perceive there is just a shade more transparancy and so dynamics come from a quieter platform. I haven't quite gotten the CSP2+ as transparent now as it was when I was using 6N1P all around between amp and preamp. And I may not go to the expense of more 7308s to roll since the sound is so so good direct.

As for that weight and heft. . . when I use my reference material (recordings I made of bands I played and recorded for in my then garage apartment in the 'eighties) it seems that the weight and heft are not as accurate with the preamp without, that is that the preamp or the added interconnects etc. are adding it. That was less so when I had it dialed in for the different input tubes.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #571 - 09/15/14 at 12:13:04

Pal...all of the recordings you referenced were likely recorded live with all of the musicians in the same room, including Fleetwood Mac Rumors, which was recorded at Sound City (which btw...if you haven't seen the documentary it's worth watching, particularly the first part where they talk about the history).

So...I think part of what you are hearing is the microphone bleed that Steve Hoffman was referring to when he was reviewing the PWT/DS combo.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #572 - 09/15/14 at 13:16:18

Despite all the brou ha ha about a funky measurement. . . the DirectStream has made the elite Stereophile A+ list for DACs.

Not that that matters to me. Mine sounds great which does matter to me.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #573 - 09/15/14 at 14:50:54

Dave, I`ve just rewatched the Peter Green story ( 9x10min u-tube). Some fascinating insights on F.Mac`s time with Grateful Dead (3 and 4). Heady days.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #574 - 09/16/14 at 02:50:03

Marky...I will have to check those out.  Sobriety was not in style at the time.  That's for sure!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #575 - 09/20/14 at 18:58:49

My weekend project!  :)

photo-15.JPG
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #576 - 09/20/14 at 19:32:10

Awesome. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #577 - 09/20/14 at 20:35:16

I just need to find some time to do the install.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #578 - 09/21/14 at 03:24:58

PWD is now a DS.   Took me a little longer to do the install than anticipated.  Was initially having trouble getting the analog board to line up.  Overall I would say it was a straightforward installation.  

There is no shortage of foot tapping and with minimal break in.  This DAC makes great music, that's for sure.  Will need more time to provide additional impressions.

photo-16.JPG
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #579 - 09/21/14 at 04:54:14

That's great. You've a nice adventure ahead of you as it breaks in and becomes. . . really wonderful!

Keep us posted as to how it's sounding.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #580 - 09/21/14 at 18:41:33

Dave, what firmware did it come with?

Make sure you have 6115 or newer - there is a new Firmware coming in the next week that's going to elevate the sound even further!

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #581 - 09/21/14 at 18:48:14

LR...it came with the initial firmware, but I updated it to the latest (1.19).  I may try 1.16, since that is what wowed everyone (and every version seems to impact SQ a little bit).  

I read Paul's post about the new firmware release this morning and it definitely put a smile on my face.  Can't wait to see what Ted has in store for us this time, and the next and the next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #582 - 09/21/14 at 18:55:03

Ugh. I was hoping they wouldn't do a firmware dance with this component but that was a foolish hope, I know. I had severe problems getting software on and off my Mk 2 and now one of the components that I used is not here any longer. I guess I'm out of the firmware game and that's probably okay as I like this one and in the case of the Mk 2 the improvements weren't universally acclaomed.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #583 - 09/21/14 at 19:01:08

Lon...PS Audio will send you an SD card with the firmware on it if you don't have a way of downloading it yourself.  Also, I would be willing to send it to you pre-loaded on a card.  Let me know.      

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #584 - 09/21/14 at 19:05:49

Alright thanks, I'll check into either of those ways when it becomes available. 'Preciate it.

You'll be impressed with the current firmware when the unit is broken in.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #585 - 09/22/14 at 03:04:57

Quote:
LR...it came with the initial firmware, but I updated it to the latest (1.19).  I may try 1.16, since that is what wowed everyone (and every version seems to impact SQ a little bit).  

I read Paul's post about the new firmware release this morning and it definitely put a smile on my face.  Can't wait to see what Ted has in store for us this time, and the next and the next..

Don't bother going back to 1.16 - the FPGA (core) is the same for the past few versions, and they simply fixed other things like reliability of the bridge or something. 1.19 is fine till the new ones comes out. It's not out yet, but I've been gifted a sneak peek - and it's quite nice.

Ted mentioned that he got a new scope specially designed for audio, and it let him look at his adjustments with more precision. It's allowed him to dial it in better and this upcoming firmware is the result.

Lon, don't give up on Firmware, you *want* the firmware dance, and if you don't like the new version, you can always go back.

That said, from what you've mentioned in the past, I'm pretty sure you'll really like the upcoming update - it adds a certain presence to the sound that is quite beautiful - all while keeping the aspects we love.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #586 - 09/22/14 at 03:08:42

Okay thanks. . . I just hate this modern "futz with everything digital" thing with a passion. . . It really annoys me and goes against my grain.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #587 - 09/22/14 at 03:16:54

Quote:
Okay thanks. . . I just hate this modern "futz with everything digital" thing with a passion. . . It really annoys me and goes against my grain.

It's super simple - you copy the file to an SD card like you'd use for a pocket camera. Power off the DS by the switch in the back, insert the card gold pins up - power on the DS. It sees the new firmware and loads it. Done and done.

I can switch back and forth between the "old" 1.16 and the beta firmware simply by popping a different memory card and rebooting. I picked up an extra card just for the A/B test this weekend and it's been flawless to flip-flop - takes only 15-20 seconds I think.

If you're on the old 1.15 firmware, you *must* upgrade - you're not really hearing the DS as it's meant to be. And as I said, I feel this new version is even better (and, IMHO, even makes DSD sound more analog if you can imagine!)

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #588 - 09/22/14 at 03:21:38

I'm not on 1.15 but the next one.

I have real problems with what I have getting stuff onto and off cards, etc. and I don't enjoy that kind of thing so I'm not happy about all this updating etc. The only thing I'm not happy about with PS Audio DACs. You have a great sound, don't blank with it.

I know that seems odd to you guys that love playing with computers, but I don't like playing with computers, I don't really like computers, I'm even beginning to resent the internet and how it has futzed our lives and the world. . . . Anyway, thanks.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #589 - 09/22/14 at 13:11:32

LR...looking forward to the new firmware.  Sounds like it might be a little less wow than how Paul is talking about it, but Paul is pretty enthusiastic.  

So, I have been burning in my DS via RCA.  Interestingly, the DS 'seems' louder to me than the PWD.  I am wrestling with this one based on the specs (2.8V PWD, 1.4V DS).  In theory, I can't even drive the ZMA to full volume via RCA, but I'm not having any problem with drive.  Maybe the DS just needs to settle a bit.  

I really need to get some XLR cables.  I brought some in when I had the PWD, but sent them back because they didn't add anything to the experience.  In fact, I felt like I lost some volume control with the higher voltage on the PWD (because the PWD digital volume control was throwing away bits, you needed to be >50 for Redbook and higher for High Res).  The volume control on the DS is much more flexible than the PWD because there is no loss of bits.    

At this point, I prefer the bass on the DS to the PWD.  It does seem like a veil has been lifted on the bass.  The PWD sounded slightly fat and bloated in comparison.  I appreciate the 'tightness' the DS brings.  Will see how this changes with break in, but the DS bass is really working for me at this point.  

Also, I noticed very good cohesion across the frequency range, even with minimal break in.  And maybe due to better separation of instruments, less congestion on complex passages.  There are some builds in the new Daft Punk album that the PWD would struggle with in comparison to the DS.  

That's it for now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #590 - 09/22/14 at 13:31:17

Thanks for sharing those impressions. Interestingly I immediately and   ever since noticed the output drop on the DS compared to the PWD, and it's only an issue with one input, my DVR, which has the weakest output on my favorite of the three processing choices on the signal, "Normal." It's loud enough most of the time, but a weaker output from a station is just not loud enough (and it's also not loud enough for a few visitors who like a more compressed or louder signal due to their hearing differences from mine). I'm sure that using balanced out would do the trick nicely, but I have no balanced inputs on my preamps or amps and don't particularly want one. Nor do I want to have to buy another expensive cable . . . I have discovered that the very best cables deliver the goods with my system, and they're expensive. So when necessary I can switch the DVR output to "Narrow" which gives me plenty of output.

I agree about the bass, initially many new users were complaining about the bass but I think they were simply very used to a more compressed, less transparent bass reproduction. When I use my reference material (material I recorded of bands I was a part of  to four track in my once upon a time garage apartment) the bass (and thus in my opinion ambient details, these seem very connected to the lower frequencies in my experience) is very clear and clean and accurate. A clear step up from the PWD which I thought was pretty good.

I really love the overall "presentation" of the DS, which has become even more natural and realistic as it has seasoned. I like it so much now that I think futzing with firmware may be a double-edged sword I may not want to wield.

Keep us posted as yours breaks in please!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #591 - 09/22/14 at 16:33:25

Quote:
LR...looking forward to the new firmware.  Sounds like it might be a little less wow than how Paul is talking about it, but Paul is pretty enthusiastic.  

I'm trying to keep it sane and not go to Decware level of excitement and description of sound for once. Smiley  Plus I'm honestly not sure how much I can/should say - and I don't want to say too much so others can form their own opinion. I got a second SD memory card this weekend to A/B firmware, and I keep coming back to this beta - all the things the DS has right, plus this adds something to it. I'd almost liken it to the harmonic content I get with the ZMA. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
I really love the overall "presentation" of the DS, which has become even more natural and realistic as it has seasoned. I like it so much now that I think futzing with firmware may be a double-edged sword I may not want to wield.

With the firmware you're on, I'd say it's OK to stay pat. If you were on the older stuff, no way - you'd *have* to upgrade. This new version is good, but definitely different - and I know you don't often like different. So at least you're on the other good version of Firmware. But if you can, I'd at least try the new one, give it a spin and see which you prefer.

Quote:
I am wrestling with this one based on the specs (2.8V PWD, 1.4V DS).

I don't think 1.4v is correct, it's 2v I'm pretty sure. I was asking for 2.5v for the ZMA to be happy but it's not possible with this hardware design. But honestly, the new firmware does something (as I mentioned it's almost like increased harmonic content) that seems to make instruments take up more space in the room. I think it makes up for the lack of voltage a little bit.  Also, Steve's "Magic Box" off the XLR might be just what we need. With the DS not losing bits when the volume is down, and taking the voltage off the Balanced outputs and using it on unbalanced - I think we'll get what we need, especially with this latest firmware.

I'm going to be testing the Balanced to Un-balanced magic box type setup on my ZMA soon - I didn't get a chance this weekend due to the new firmware testing - I didn't want to make too many changes at once and muddle up my views on what did what. But I think we'll be OK - we do have options that don't require a preamp.

Quote:
Also, I noticed very good cohesion across the frequency range, even with minimal break in.  And maybe due to better separation of instruments, less congestion on complex passages.  There are some builds in the new Daft Punk album that the PWD would struggle with in comparison to the DS

I agree with this 100% - I started listening to more symphonies and choirs now since the DS isn't tripping over itself like my Oppo would when things got busy. I'm also to understand the amp has a lot to do with that from what Ted Smith says.

Things just look better and better all the time!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #592 - 09/22/14 at 16:44:20

I guess I'll get help and try it. But I really don't want to be on a merrygoround of firmware. Hopefully they'll stop after this for a while. It's actually sort of making me not trust the stability and vision of the product.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #593 - 09/22/14 at 17:03:31

Quote:
It's actually sort of making me not trust the stability and vision of the product.

That is absolutely the worst way to look at it, and I disagree completely.

The device is already head and shoulders above the competition at or below the price range (we know this, this is why we have it), and it's only gotten better as Ted figures out better ways of doing things. It's not glitches he's fixing, it's improvements to what the device can do, based on new tools and information (literally in the case of this upcoming firmware).

So instead of having to run out and buy a new DAC because of a new (mid-year/mid-model) discovery or refinement, you're literally getting a new DAC via E-mail! How friggen cool is that!

If these were cables, it would be like having an AC-10 and being able to get the AC-12 upgrade, free via E-mail. Or maybe even the comparison could be made that we're talking AC-5 to AC-12 upgrade! FREE. And honestly, it would probably take me longer to swap out a power cable then it would be to flash a firmware - LOL   Don't let your dislike of computers bias your judgement and obstruct an excellent upgrade! That's just silly.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #594 - 09/22/14 at 17:07:23

Also, to add - I'd be happy to put the 1.19 firmware and the future firmware on two flash cards for you, test them both on my DS to make sure it all works well, and snail mail you the two cards. You can bounce between the two and choose what works best for you. Just cover the cost of the cards and I'll do the rest for you. No computers involved.  :)

I'm pretty sure PS Audio would do the same for you for a fee as well.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #595 - 09/22/14 at 17:25:50

I beg to differ, I see it differently and I think I ahve a differing perspective. That's okay.

It's great right now, I don't even seem to feel the lack of density that you do with my amp. I wish they would be less insecure about their machine. They ARE releasing firmware now because of the Stereophile measurements.

Thanks for the offer of the SD card prep and mailing. I have 1.19 now. I'll wait for the release of the firmware and see what I can do after that. Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #596 - 09/22/14 at 17:33:25

LR..thanks for the teaser on the new firmware.

I had been doing a lot of listening with the PWD set at a volume setting of 70, so maybe that is what I am remembering.  I will look for the corresponding output voltage at that setting on the PWD.  That said, I would be surprised if the ZMA isn’t getting 2V from RCA on the DS, but it’s quite possible my reference is off.  Assuming I actually owned a voltmeter and knew what I was doing, wouldn’t this be a straightforward measurement?  

I don’t think any of this changes my desire to explore XLR with the DS.  LR…did I read somewhere in your evaluation that you felt the RCA input sounded flat vs. XLR on the DS?

Is Steve selling a magic box?  Sounds funny to even write that.  How does it differ vs. the XLR inputs on the ZMA?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #597 - 09/22/14 at 18:26:03

Quote:
Assuming I actually owned a voltmeter and knew what I was doing, wouldn’t this be a straightforward measurement?  

Because of the dynamic nature of music, I think you'd have to use a test tone to get a solid, repeatable voltage reading. But I'm sure Ted has posted output voltages online somewhere, and I think what he posted differs from what's in the manual...which confused me a bit, but it's probably a case of cut-and-paste from the PWD manual to the DS manual or something.

Quote:
I don’t think any of this changes my desire to explore XLR with the DS.  LR…did I read somewhere in your evaluation that you felt the RCA input sounded flat vs. XLR on the DS?

I believe the Jensen transformers add a little sparkle to the sound. I'm a bit of a purist, I like things simple and direct - so i was hesitant to try the XLR with the Jensen transformers in there, but it was a solid upgrade for the ZMA with the Oppo. I think the differential output and added voltage of the Oppo also had something to do with that - it's more of a pro-audio style output, and the ZMA just likes everything about that. But the Jensen transformers are well made, wide bandwidth, and low distortion - so they are good to go by my ears.

Quote:
Is Steve selling a magic box?  Sounds funny to even write that.  How does it differ vs. the XLR inputs on the ZMA?

There was another thread on this I think in the Frequently Asked Questions section from a newer Decware owner. I did my best to answer him after having played with Steve's "Magic Box" (I have no idea what the production model will be called). All it is, is an XLR (balanced) to RCA (unbalanced) converter box using the same Jensen transformer Steve installs on the ZMA, but with an attenuator to dial down the voltage.

I asked Steve what the difference was between that and what's already in the ZMA since I could hear a difference but didn't understand what (technically) was going on. It looks like (on the ZMA) it's just a resistor between the output of the Jensen transformer and the RCA input. Steve gave me his blessing to jumper this resistor to see if I get the sound I'm looking for via what's already built into my ZMA, rather than building my own Magic Box (which I figure would have cost $150 in budget parts - more for premium obviously). I've just not had the opportunity to do this mod with all I have going on.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #598 - 09/23/14 at 02:34:47

Just checked out the FAQ thread on the zen Mystery Box (MB).  So you get the added flexibility of dialing in the voltage, but the slight annoyance of needing another cable vs. XLR direct.

I am slightly surprised that the MB would sound different than the transformers on the ZMA, but I don't take anything for granted in this hobby anymore.  I doubt you would be attenuating the voltage much from DS>MB>ZMA, but it is a slightly different signal path.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #599 - 09/23/14 at 05:47:50

IMO the main advantage of even using FPGA's instead of off the shelf chips (other than avoiding the additional cost of buying somebody else's chips) is for continuing refinements that also contribute to extending the product life cycles by a fair margin.  I consider this a very good thing at the rate digital audio is making strides.  Just a guess here, but I think more and more audio companies are going to take this path and for good reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print