Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 21:09:57 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
Send Topic Print
PS Audio about to ... (Read 89543 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: PS Audio about to ...
Reply #450 - 08/11/14 at 19:32:15

LR,
You might know this and I know it has been mentioned in one of the thread here but run Fidelizer on your computer. It turns off all the extras you don't need. You can pick different modes to run, and I run the extreme one. The laptop I have is not hooked up to anyting and is only for music so don't have to worry about viruses or such things.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #451 - 08/11/14 at 19:46:32

Optimizing a Media PC with a isolated regulated power supply and installing a better USB card like the SOtM tX-USBexp can also improve performance.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #452 - 08/12/14 at 04:57:22

Most of our suggestions have to do with reducing electronic noise and potential effects on the digital data itself. A cable from your computer to DAC carries noise along with digital data. Thus the concern about noise makers...a spinning drive or USB circuit, or noise getting to the USB chip in the DAC, or power supply.....

Better memory play keeps the drive quieter when you have a spinning drive like I do, so enough memory is important. Also opening only Audirvana, leaving the drive and memory as little to do otherwise as possible. Set the preferences for Audirvana to dominate the computer, limiting unnecessary system stuff.

Also noise related, for many DACs the USB cable makes a big difference, and if the DAC USB chip gets its 5v from the computer, this can be another area to isolate with a linear USB power supply. A point of good USB cables is to get the digital data through with the least interference from electronic noise, and to reduce the transmission of noise.

A lot of people who have looked really closely at this (if not using a dedicated server that is tweaked for you) have decided that the Mac Mini is the best stock computer for music, and not by intention from Apple necessarily. The heavy aluminum case, used for quiet/fanless heat dissipation reduces fan noise, and also reduces vibration, a killer for all audio stuff. It also uses all quality circuits to reduce heat, and cooler circuit parts are less noisy in general. Also, Apple figured out that using better parts causes less warranty issues, so less physical and phone support.

Even so I use vibration reducing feet, and weight on the Mini, and I could hear things get deeper and more solid when I did this. I isolated the USB power to the DAC with a USB power supply...big difference with my particular DAC, though orangecrush, who I trust the way he listens, had no effect on his DAC with the same unit. Presumably his DAC is somehow using clean power to the USB chip.

I use an external Firewire drive known to be quiet for music files, also being a separate buss from the DAC USB, reducing electronic noise. And more subtle, but if your system is very revealing, you can even hear different commercial FW cables...again, presumably electronic noise or not...also vibration reduction helps a little on the drive.

I use all uncompressed AIFF files ripped with error correction by an app called XLD.

Audirvana has never suited me...it sounds a little colored to me, an interpretation of "analog." But most people really like it. With Audirvana and Pure Music, I prefer to use iTunes as interface and library since it is a standard no matter how the player apps change. And these apps take over the player and library functions, so it is mostly just a convenient interface as far as I know.

But finally, if you get a computer totally worked out, I suppose it is possible that you will still like the PWT the way it is cabled, voiced etc. An optimized computer setup will give you clean file data, but it seems possible that the unaffected files will not sound as good to you as the way the PWT pulls data and transfers it.

To test your computer I would first check the Audirvana preferences and make sure all is set well. And check around on computeraudiophile or other forums to see if your DAC is one that benefits from a good USB cable and/or a USB power supply. But remember all the guys addicted to saying cables don't matter will likely be part of the equation, so you have to dig. The 1's and 0's argument is simply not true if your system is revealing and you can hear well. Even many of the bigtime DAC companies, using ASYNC and other means of cleaning the stuff from the USB cable will recommend quality USB cables. I would be very surprised if a good cable would not help, and this could be a primary difference from the PWT the way it is cabled. Also, after getting these sorted, compare it on battery versus plugged in just to see. If you have a backup Firewire or Thunderbolt drive, it could be good to hear a few tracks fed from it using an alternate port from the DAC. Or if you just have USB, an external drive still could help.

And finally, this is a whole other thing, but something to keep in the back of the mind if you end up liking a computer...EQ

With Pure Music, it is easy to set up very sophisticated EQ if you want to, in effect digitally mastering your collection for your system/room. I started using this to cut low bass I could not get with the bass traps I have. But later started measuring the room, and adjusting across teh spectrum, and this has become a main reason for me to use a computer.

If purism is to get the most from your system, this can be an amazing tool. If purism is to instead EQ entirely with room treatment, gear, tubes and cables....all of these will shift the EQ and resolution, but to "get there" completely by these means is a lot of work in most rooms.

I have done all that, and adding low-key EQ in the right places to fine-tune, at least if your room does not need crazy amounts of EQ to help it, it notches up the whole to quite another level transparently. By evening up bumps and valleys the benefits to the sound can be pretty amazing, especially with really minor tastes tweaks added for flavor.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #453 - 08/12/14 at 18:54:51

Dave,

PS: I guess you have played with filter settings on the PWD also with the computer play?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #454 - 08/12/14 at 19:12:52

Quote:
LR,
You might know this and I know it has been mentioned in one of the thread here but run Fidelizer on your computer.

Yeah, I tried it on my Windows 8.1 machine, and it didn't seem to do much of anything. It did cause a problem with JRiver, but seemed to work ok with Foobar...or I should say, didn't seem to damage anything since I really didn't notice anything different. I was going to give it another run after my listening session thats planned for this Wednesday - especially since I'm looking at trying Server 2012 in Core mode.

Will, thanks for the tips - sounds like lots of common sense stuff I'd be considering anyways. I read up on the Computer Audiophile CAPS builds, and learned a lot about the various parts that are out there. I saw some neat stuff I might try out in my mini-PC, or maybe even be inspired to build my own fanless PC.

This is the power supply I got - it's in a little bit of rough shape, but it's a good price for a $500, 18# (variable) linear power supply with 4 amps on tap. That should be able to power any Mini-PC or laptop I try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141347902256

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #455 - 08/12/14 at 21:09:08

Will, as usual, a very thoughtful and informative post.  

I should provide a little more background on my situation/experiences to date.  The majority of my listening is done with the PWT as transport.  I think the PWT/PWD combo renders digital in a detailed, yet fluid manner.  The latter attribute is a bit more difficult to describe, but it often manifests itself in toe tapping and an engaging listening experience.  I don’t mind having the physical media, although my wife may have a different POV on that.  I also enjoy listening to albums from start to finish.  

I have the PWT hooked up to the PWD via I2S, and am using the PSA pure silver HDMI cable (AC-12 HDMI).  Arguably, the HDMI cable is high quality.

That said, I am very much interested in computer audio and can see the many benefits of such a system.  I also like to experiment and try new things, and getting a computer setup for audio seemed like an interesting side project.  So I began the journey with a MacBook Pro (maybe not the best starting point) and I use the PWT as my reference.  One of the things I tried early on was a couple different software programs (Audirvana, BitPerfect, Amarra).  I was actually surprised how different they all sounded.  I suppose this is where it should have become crystal clear that there are a lot of variables involved in computer audio and they all likely make a difference.  I preferred the sound of Audirvana back when I was demoing software programs, but all have launched new versions since, so maybe my preference would change if I reevaluated today.  

With just a little bit of work, I have gotten my MacBook Pro to a place where it sounds very clean and detailed (replaced mechanical HD w/SSD, Audirvana vs. iTunes, optimized software settings, etc)  In recent comparisons I think the leading edges are a bit sharper/in-focus from the computer vs. the PWT.  I think where I am struggling with my current computer setup is the liquidity and flow of the music.  It’s not as engaging as the PWT.    

I will check my settings in Audirvana, but I’m pretty sure I have it set to extreme audio (shut down/minimize other processes in the background, etc).  I am using a generic USB cable, which may be part of the problem (I am certainly not using a generic HDMI cable to connect the PWT to the PWD).  I have read the technical rationale for USB cable improvements on the dB labs website (and elsewhere) and they seem reasonable, therefore investing in a good cable would likely help.  

After writing all of this, it occurred to me that referring to my setup as MacBook Pro with Audirvana doesn’t even come close to describing the computer as a transport.  Maybe it would be more appropriate to list all the following:

-Chassis
-Operating system (core audio, driver implementation, hardware controller implementation)
-Processor (dual-core, quad-core, etc)
-Power Supply (switching, linear/battery)
-Hard Drive (mechanical vs. solid state, HD controllers)
-Audio Software (settings: shut down other processes, bit perfect playback, memory, eq)
-Heat sink/cooling (fan vs. heat sink, etc)
-RAM (total, how much is allocated to audio playback)
-USB ( hard drive and dac on same/different buses)  
-USB Cable

In summary, there are a ton of variables for computer audio, but probably no less than were considered in the design of the PWT.  It’s just the PWT feels a bit less user customizable vs. the computer.  Depending on the end user, that may be a good thing or a bad thing.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #456 - 08/12/14 at 21:36:28

Dave, we're using the same transport and HDMI cable. You're going to be very happy if you upgrade to the DirectStream. Today it's impressing me yet again as it makes a difficult release to sit back enjoy. . . sitback enjoyable.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #457 - 08/12/14 at 22:31:55

Apparently there is now a very positive review of the DS in Absolute Sound. (I'm not a subscriber, can't read it).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #458 - 08/13/14 at 00:45:44

Dave said : "The latter attribute is a bit more difficult to describe, but it often manifests itself in toe tapping and an engaging listening experience.  ....  I also enjoy listening to albums from start to finish.  

I think engaging is normal with a good setup. If we are using good stuff, and it is not there, we just need to find it. If music is edgy, without "fluid," liquidity, smoothness....AND complex detail.... it is not likely to be convincing musical presentation. Without that, how could it make us tap our toes? Point being, though you have great synergy now with your well cabled transport, it is very likely not your transport (alone) that makes it sound like music....there are a lot of us without it who have very engaging music.

I like to listen to albums too, but I love being able to uncheck tunes I don't prefer in an album in the iTunes interface.

I have the PWT hooked up to the PWD via I2S, and am using the PSA pure silver HDMI cable (AC-12 HDMI).  Arguably, the HDMI cable is high quality.

Pretty convincing indicator that good cables help your playback with the PWD.

That said, I am very much interested in computer audio and can see the many benefits of such a system.  I also like to experiment and try new things, and getting a computer setup for audio seemed like an interesting side project.  So I began the journey with a MacBook Pro (maybe not the best starting point) and I use the PWT as my reference.  One of the things I tried early on was a couple different software programs (Audirvana, BitPerfect, Amarra).  I was actually surprised how different they all sounded."

Though it may not be the very best, your Macbook Pro is a really well made, and a small computer needing efficiency for battery use and to remain cool. Both require quality, quiet parts. I bet you can get really good sound from it. Audirvana to me is seductive at first, but finally it sounds a little like it does everything it is supposed to just right, but somehow it ends up sounding like technically accomplished sweetness and detail to me rather than like music. PureMusic is my favorite player software, but who knows. And had I spent as much time as I have with Pure Music tuning and adjusting to Audirvana, I might well feel differently.

I think you said it. They all sound so different. All this points to potentially adjusting the Player software filters or EQ (if you have Audirvana+) and/or those on the DAC and see if you can get to where you like it.

I don't know the best USB cables going for the money now. The DBAudio Essential is great with the Tranquility, but I preferred a WireWorld Starlite on the ZDAC. This looks like a real deal http://www.tweekgeek.com/demo-wireworld-platinum-starlight-6-usb-a-to-b-3-meter/... And Tweekgeek typically has 30 day no question return. Could be worth a try.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #459 - 08/13/14 at 02:26:37

Thanks for awakening my interest in software players. I am going to play with Audirvana for few days and see if my impressions change. That it does integar mode with my DAC is interesting. It can be a bit of a labyrinth to change stuff once things get really good, wouldn't you say?!@#$%^&*(

Wink

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #460 - 08/13/14 at 02:57:59

Dialing in my Linear PSU -

On the plus side - it looks way better than the eBay photos, and runs well!

On the minus side - it hums Sad  I totally forgot to even consider that. If I hear any sonic improvement, and don't want to upgrade to an "Audiophile PSU" or battery, I'll probably re-chassis this in something nice and heavy, made out of wood and metal.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #461 - 08/13/14 at 03:19:38

Well crap - this Linear PSU....um, well...the whole damn system sounds different. Like so very different I have to really sit down and reevaluate the system to figure it all out. It's not subtle at all.

Right off the bat it has an apparent loudness difference.
I'm hearing every instrument and voice louder - almost like everything been compressed or "normalized".
Bass sounds huge, and honestly overpowering.
It's also feeling a bit edgy, not at all in a good way.

I'm going to bust out the tape measure and make sure the dogs didn't bump the speakers (to account for such a huge difference in bass), and switch back to the stock mini-PC power supply. This is weird how much this sounds different - so as I said, I need to reevaluate and make sure there aren't other factors in here.

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #462 - 08/13/14 at 03:25:43

Will...I was just about to say the same thing to you...  I haven't evaluated these different software programs in a while, and Pure Music wasn't included in my initial evaluation, so I am going to download the demo and evaluate it.

I am committed to getting a computer source sounding as good as the PWT (I don't think that was clear in my initial post).  I wasn't trying to say that I couldn't get an equal/better experience with the computer, simply that I hadn't so far.   I realize many have achieved equal/better sound vs. a transport and have never looked back.  

That said, I do think it's a bit more complicated with computers because they weren't designed with audio as the single objective, and there are a lot of variables for the end user to consider/tweak.      

Reading up on CAPS has been interesting.  

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/section/c-p-s-489/

Computers designed specifically for audio...sounds like a great idea!

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #463 - 08/13/14 at 04:43:37

The DS is on the cover of the September issue of Stereophile released today.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #464 - 08/13/14 at 12:10:11

It appears that the DS is getting above average press for a new piece of gear.  Maybe I am out of touch with 'review reality' though.  

Kana...how is your DS breaking in?  Any new insights to share?  

LR...that power supply looks crazy!  It appears you know what you are doing though.  I think I read somewhere that folks were using an inexpensive power supply from Red Wine Audio for their CAPS, but inexpensive is a relative term.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #465 - 08/13/14 at 13:15:48

I am out of touch with review reality, I've stopped reading all the mags for nearly a decade now, and I do see a lot of attention to the DS but that's in large part because I have been looking for reviews and comments.

Now that I have mine burning in (about 150 hours now, probably 100 on the Redbook input) I'm very happy. The positive reviews and comments resonate with me; I'd be really ecstatic if I had gone from my Sony 5400 ES to this, but having had the PWD in Mk I and Mk II guises had my expectations higher. They've been met though.

I think there certainly was a well campaigned blitz about the DS from PS Audio, and the beta tester Gordon was very vocal and detailed in his comparisons and won many PWD owners over. Plus almost all the initial reactions were favorable. Seems like the type of component the mags would fall over themselves to review as there's a lot of interest from potential buyers.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #466 - 08/13/14 at 14:58:28

Quote:
LR...that power supply looks crazy!  It appears you know what you are doing though.  I think I read somewhere that folks were using an inexpensive power supply from Red Wine Audio for their CAPS, but inexpensive is a relative term.

Yeah, it's really some industrial/lab power supply - it's a steal for what I paid for it. I'm just hoping it's as clean of a signal as a fancy audiophile power supply. The Red Wine is like $1200, so yeah, inexpensive is relative - but something like that is on my radar, especially now that I'm rather stunned by how much this PSU made a difference.

So a brief update - After initially being bowled over by such a grand change, I did go back and measure out my speakers and realign them with a laser (yes, I'm totally serious). One speaker did get bumped considerably, but I don't think it's enough to justify the change in bass. Getting the speakers back in line actually helped tighten up the bass a bit, but it was still huge.

So next step was to listen for a track or two...which turned into about a dozen tracks. The sound was so interesting and different I just kept rolling tracks, completely forgetting to A/B the power supplies. When I finally remembered what I was doing, I picked Deft Punk's Doin' It Right which is bass heavy, dynamic, has some neat reverb FX, and is already a little edgy on the high end. Basically all the things that I noticed an immediate change with the big industrial linear PSU.

So I switched back to the stock 19v 3.34A "brick" PSU (this mini-PC is basically the guts of a laptop in a metal box, with no screen, so this PSU is a laptop brick) - and suddenly the sound went a bit flat. The bass didn't punch as hard or feel like it was as tight. The reverb ambiance was much shorter. It was still as clear and detailed as the DS is expected to be, but it lost a little focus. The stock PSU also reduced the edgy etching of the high end...in fact, at one point with the  Linear PSU, one track I put on sounded exactly like that etched high end that my Oppo has, but with the added DS detail.

As I've said before, I'm a big skeptic and everything needs to prove itself in my system. Most cable/power/IC changes to me are very slight changes, and not always improvements. I'm pretty skeptical that a linear PSU would make such a difference since the computer is just passing "bit-perfect" bits down the pipe. As long as those bits get to their destination unmolested, it's the DAC that makes the difference. That's how it looks on paper and how the "math guys" say the world runs. But I'll be damned if this isn't a *big* difference to me - like big enough that I could say 4-5% difference which is huge for just swapping out a PSU.

I'm going to have to talk to some guys smarter than me to help me wrap my head around this. I understand the concept I guess, the PSU doesn't inject noise, or if it does it does it in a different way (which would explain the high end edginess I'm hearing). If there is less noise then I guess that would make blacker backgrounds which would make the voices and instruments seem louder (just thinking out loud now), allow me to hear the reverb even better than what the DirectStream does on it's own (which is an amazing accomplishment). But I feel like there is something else going on there that I'm not grasping.

Ok, enough rambling - we have a listening session going on tonight - we'll see what the other listeners think. I'll probably also ping Ted at the PSA forums and see if he can help me wrap my head around this.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #467 - 08/13/14 at 16:31:02

A very positive update from Steve Hoffman on his forum:

Update:

Both of these units are breaking in nicely. The sound is truly better than anything I've ever had here, and I've had the best float in here from time to time.

One niggle, and it's a small one but I thought I'd mention it. The DAC's screen has a three way brightness control, high/med/low that you can adjust on the screen. The transport has an auto dimmer/bright sensor that goes by room light. Well, as the light changes, these two units (stacked) go out of visual sync in brightness. It's a small thing but maybe they can put a sensor on the DAC or the other way around so the two screen intensities can match at all times.

Regarding the sound, here is my usual test of digital. You can't just play something and blast it, the sound has to be lower, like a human voice at the volume that a real person would have if standing between your speakers and talking or singing.

You also can't use music that was close miked in a muffled 1970's multi-track studio. You need open mics to give the spatial cues that are so important to realism.

Since the tonality of almost all digital playback is pretty perfect, that's no help, it has to be that sense, that illusion of natural space, etc. to judge one DAC from another.

I use my cheap-o HENRY MANCINI CD that I always talk about here, his 24 minute "Pure Gold" disk that you can find used for two bucks. Many of the songs have great bleed, you can hear the studio, the chorus, etc. in a real space. Playing some of the songs on that (like Charade, Baby Elephant Walk and others) will really work if you want to judge which CD playback gives you the most realistic 3D imaging.

Happy to report that the PS Audio duo delivers. Like I said, the illusion of life is amazing with this set up. It's truly the best in this regard I've heard in my house. The sound is effortless, natural, dynamic, has the best ambiance retrieval I've experienced here. I had no idea that CD's could have this much stuff missing on most other digital front ends. The PS Audio digs up the missing chunks of time and space to complete the illusion of real musicians in a real space.
(emphasis is Steve's)

So, it's going well. Hopefully I can convince PS Audio to let me keep using these in my work. It's quite an upgrade.

Just an aside: my PWT does not have a room light sensor to my knowledge.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #468 - 08/13/14 at 16:42:10

Wow, coming from him, that's some high praise!

will
Seasoned Member

Reply #469 - 08/13/14 at 17:51:59

LR,

I have no idea about the workings of a computer, and I guess you have compared the voltage and amperage as they get into the computer??? I wonder if it is pushing through more power somehow, cleaner though it may be? Like Multiwave does... Or by jacking the voltage with cleaner power?

Dave,

Dedicated servers look interesting. I think Dbaudiolabs is getting close to releasing one that integrates everything their extensive research with the Mini has uncovered. Clean power, SDD, special code, vibration, etc., etc....no stone left unturned I suspect.

I have been messing around with Audirvana, starting with trying to set up the same EQ I have in PureMusic. That is a little difficult with the less articulate interface in Audirvana, but I got it pretty good. Then I started messing around with the various settings, integer mode, filters, dither....what a mess since you have to "release" iTunes every time you make a change in the preferences (other than EQ thank goodness).

You were talking about how amazing how the software players all sound so different. I don't know how that happens, but the resulting different characters corroborate my feeling lately that it is not necessarily easy to get what you want from something new once a revealing system is really satisfying.

I think this is because each refinement we make gets us closer to our "feeling" of music, and once the parts are good together, it is no longer components, cables etc making the system/room. All together it becomes one thing that creates uncountable and indescribable aspects of the mysterious perceptions and "feeling" of music.

So having a great transport as part of this, and being used to what it contributes, it would make sense that getting the computer to this point or better could take some work, if it is possible in your environment and with your tastes. I am guessing (but not positive not having your DAC!) that a USB cable is probably the next-best step. I can't listen to an off the shelf unit with my DACs.

Anyway, yesterday, when I first started with Audirvana, I really did not want to struggle with it it was so different and not so good compared to my tweaked out PureMusic. But I am getting a really good feel from Audirvana now, and hope to get deeper as I get its character under my skin. It still sounds a little like really refined representation of music rather than music to me, but it is getting promising.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #470 - 08/13/14 at 20:03:51

Here is Ted Smith's response to my PSU upgrade and what I'm hearing:

Quote:
First off I don't know any details about the linear supply you used.  In contexts like this the word "industrial" usually means robust and cost effective but perhaps brute force and unrefined.  I.e. I suspect it's letting a lot of hash thru or even contributing some of it's own.  Rectification diodes can generate a lot of high frequency noise on each switch on and getting fast recovery (or better soft recovery) diodes costs more money for no particular return in an industrial environment.  Also industrial power supplies are usually used in an environment with lots of high frequency crap around, nobody really cares, so an industrial supply isn't likely to even try to address any kind of filtering.
High frequency hash often gives an edge to the highs like I think you are describing.  That hash could be coming from the power supply thru the PC to the DAC or perhaps, for example, from the PC thru the power supply and back into your AC power system.
On a more speculative basis getting very good DC performance out of the supply (which an industrial linear supply should do well) can really firm up the bass and give that louder presentation you mention.

kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #471 - 08/13/14 at 21:42:15

Dave,

Not much change in the DS. It's very smooth, but still lacks the wide open sound I get with the Pandora.

On the down side it also has some audible hiss directly connected to my amp, even when it's muted. The Pandora and the PWD MKII didn't do this.

I'll be interested to see if JA's measurements show any noise issues.

I'm going to give it two more days of burn-in and then put the Pandora back in. I don't have a preamp, so I can't do an A/B.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #472 - 08/13/14 at 22:03:26

Interesting k. My DirectStream has a much bigger wide open sound than the PWD Mk II--not from the start but after a few days. And like the Mk II, no hiss at all (direct into the amp). Methinks something is amiss with the one you have.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #473 - 08/13/14 at 22:15:42

I can have my ZMA and DS up to 100% and have no hiss at all.

Something sounds amiss to me as well.

kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #474 - 08/13/14 at 23:51:29

First, the input sensitivity on my REF 75 is 1.4V for full rated power. It only has balanced non-inverting inputs at 300K ohms.

I've read other reports of hiss from people using amps with low input sensitivity.

In addition to the hiss, if I muted the DS and powering down my amp, I'd got strange noise from my speakers, which never happened with the PWD or Pandora. This issue troubled me more than the hiss.

I called PSA tech support this morning . They told me to try putting the DS into standby before powering down my amp. That solved that noise issue.

Obviosly, the DS mute function works differently than the PWD and  Pandora. It does not control the output relays, which you can clearly hear when you put the DS into standby or hit the filter button on the remote.

Right out of the box, the Pandora soundstage was much bigger in all direction and more open sounding than my PWD Mk II.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #475 - 08/14/14 at 00:20:22

Well, sounds as if the Pandora is the winner with your set up!

I'd check it out if I weren't both very happy with, and tapped out by, the DirectStream. I can't wait to get home and listen to my DirectStream a bit more before bed.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #476 - 08/14/14 at 00:40:46

Lon,

I'm still hoping the the DS will get better.

I really liked the PWD MKII/Bridge combo. No extra box, USB cable or power cable.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #477 - 08/14/14 at 00:53:39

Hmmm. Well, I would think you'd have most of what it will be right now, but pershaps it will improve more. I can see the simplicity of the Bridge being a draw. I just don't want to go network or computer audio. Ever.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #478 - 08/14/14 at 01:26:15

Lon,

Have you listened to any HiRez recordings on your DS?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #479 - 08/14/14 at 01:46:15

No not yet. Most of my hi-res recordings are SACD and Blu-ray. I've listened to 24/48, but not higher. I have a few others burned to DVD-R which play int he PWT but to be honest I'm not crazy about the music. I have a friend who is burning me a few dozen more DVD-R items, better music, he's been doing so for a long time and maybe he'll be done one day.

Redbook is most of my listening other than vinyl. SACD most of my hi-res listening.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #480 - 08/14/14 at 02:03:10

How would you like a DVD-R with 24/96 Art Davis and Canonball Adderley tracks or John Coltrane- Kind of Blue?

If so, send me a PM with your address.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #481 - 08/14/14 at 02:52:02

Thanks for the offer kana. I'm good, I have so much to listen to, a stack of stuff never listened to yet, another stack only listened to once, and shelves of things I want to revisit. I can wait til I get those from my friend, and in the meantime . . . Redbook sounds awesome on my system! And I still love my vinyl as well as my SACDs.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #482 - 08/14/14 at 14:29:18

Not a lot to report (despite the long post here) but we had our DAC comparison session last night.  We were hindered somewhat in that we had some technical difficulties, Raven wasn’t feeling great and I was tired, but I think we established at least some baselines to which future comparisons could be made.

The DS and the Chord QuteHD are both FPGA DACs.  The QuteHD is about 1/3 the cost of the DS but reportedly punches above its weight class.  It has limited input/output options, but can play most file resolutions out there today.  It’s tiny and looks like it’s nothing more than a power brick for the DS.

We had to run different signal paths.  The DS came directly off the media mini-PC Eric had set up and went to the ZMA through balanced interconnects.  The PC was also on a linear power supply.   The Chord was fed via the network drive to the Oppo which passed the signal through to the Chord via SPDIF.  Unfortunately, my linear power supply did not arrive yet, so I was running the stock wall wart power supply.

We could not get the Chord drivers installed correctly to allow both DACs to run off the mini-PC.  The PC saw the Chord DAC as a properly functioning device, but the DAC would not show up as an output option in Fubar.  I don’t have this issue on the Mac mini at home so it was perplexing and also limited our music to 24/192 or below.  No DSD comparisons.

We also had issues with matching volume levels.  The Chord outputs 3V and was very loud on the ZMA so we had to manually turn it down to try to match the DS.  We generally got it in the ballpark and said good enough (although Raven did break out the SPL meter).

On the first three songs, I felt the DACs were pretty well matched.  Eric
thought the highs on the Chord were softer/smoothed?  (help me here, Eric).  I felt the Chord was more dynamic, but wasn’t sure because of the early issues with volume matching.  Also, I felt the Chord painted more of a landscape of sound versus the DS produced a more precision placement of instruments in the sound stage.

It was interesting to note that when we switched the DS over to RCA output to the ZMA, it sounded flat compared the Chord.  We only listened to one song this way, but it’s worth noting the lift the DS gets with XLR.

We listened to some other songs and in some cases, didn’t do a direct A/B comparison, but the songs were familiar to the Raven, so maybe he can comment.  I think he felt they sounded good, but not as good as he remembered on the DS.

The song that seemed to really separate the DACs was Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean.  This is a great song for judging bass, PRat and separation of instruments.  The DS really shined here with bass that was significantly tighter.  The DS had better instrument separation and you could hear more details in the track.  Great PRat which had us both grooving (now that’s a sight).  I thought the song sounded OK on the Chord and had pretty good PRaT, but on the DS, I felt the same way the last time I heard it on Raven’s system – this is what this song is supposed to sound like or the way the engineer intended it.  Between the two DACs, it literally sounded like two different versions of the same song.

I was pretty impressed with the price/performance ratio of the Chord until we tested Billie Jean.   Raven said the Chord provided 80% of the DS SQ overall.  I thought it was much closer on the initial tracks.  On Billie Jean I thought it was 60-70%.  Big difference.

On our next comparison, I will have my linear power supply which is really supposed to lift the Chord and hopefully we can run off the same computer.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #483 - 08/14/14 at 15:05:56

Hey, thanks for sharing those impressions. Sounds like the Chord is going to be even closer in sonic sound after the power supply is substituted. And that it's a very impressive DAC for the money.

Gad, you make me almost want to hear "Billie Jean." Almost!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #484 - 08/14/14 at 15:08:32

I'm tellin' you Lon, you'd have been grooving too!

I'm not ready to say run out and get the Chord if you don't have the cash for a DS just yet, but we'll see.  So far, its been fun for me and lifted the performance of my system.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #485 - 08/14/14 at 15:14:25

Absolutely, you and Eric are both very lucky to have an audio companion for these comparisons and general listening! Fun shared is sometimes double fun.

I know I'd be grooving. I just heard that song so many times its first decade that I don't have a copy on hand for a reason. But that's a really sophisticated piece of music, and it gets the job done. Probably will try it out on the DS one of these days.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #486 - 08/14/14 at 16:39:45

Palomino,

Sorry to hear about the computer issue and having to use such different signal paths. Those difficulties are so frustrating. Raven's new computer power supply so wildly changing the DS output in his system alone is notable.... I hope you can get them through the same system next time. The changes as I adapt Audirvana in my system after years of Pure Music is daunting enough for me. And that difference is only between relatively long established and competitive player software!

I look forward to stories from your future music events. I agree with Lon, you guys are lucky!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #487 - 08/14/14 at 16:54:51

No doubt Lon & Will...I wish I lived just a little bit closer to P an LR.

Thanks Palomino for your input about the Chord. I just ordered one from Acoustic Sounds over the phone ($1395 delivered) with Stelly. Great guy, an he knows his Audio. I discussed my System with him as I like to do. I should have the tracking number from him shortly. I will wait on the upgrade to the power supply...it needs to show most of the goods to me with the one supplied.

Furthermore, I turned him on to Decware....as we did discuss my CSP3 with Jupiter Caps & ZMA...all via Kimber Select... . He was going to check it out when he hung up the phone. He had never heard of Decware. We even discussed my Vintage Polk SDA 1's run in Stereo/Listening Room...for having a Classic Textural Sound...exceedingly brought out of them by Decware with Kimber Select.

I should have it on Monday.  

I am glad I won't have it until Monday...because I will want to use it ASAP! To busy the next few days. Classic Car show Friday, Vikings preseason game at TCF Saturday (Girlfriend has Season Tickets) an the rescheduled Dave Koz, Mindi Abair, Gerald Albright & Richard Elliot Concert outdoors at the Zoo Amphitheater Sunday night...to wrap up the weekend!

I should add: I use a...
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/cables/interconnect-cables/unknown/prophecy-cryo-...
for i2s connection.....would have to hear it to believe it....and Kimber 1030 with Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cables....major upgrade from 3033 ...is an understatement.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #488 - 08/14/14 at 17:04:07

Will,

I can send you my Audirvana settings to try.  I got them off a post, but don't remember where it was.

I will be interested in your thoughts on the Chord Stone.  I think it needs the power supply for the low end.  I should get it today so I can comment this weekend.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #489 - 08/14/14 at 17:08:36

Great Palomino, I look forward to your further impressions. Thanks.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #490 - 08/14/14 at 17:08:54

Yeah, I really felt like crap last night...had a weird headache that made it hard to concentrate, and Palo was obviously tired, so we had trouble figuring out the simplest stuff..I'm sure we would have been funny to watch us fumbling around, trying to figure out the best way to A/B the gear, match volumes, load drivers, swap cables. So we're really going to have to do this again on a better night for both of us. I also had no internet as we had power and internet issues in my neighborhood, so I couldn't look up solutions to our Chord DAC/Media PC problem.

To add to what was said above - I was really impressed with the Chord. I didn't hear the expansive soundstage that Palo heard since I wasn't in the (very narrow MG944) sweetspot. But there was once or twice where a sound would jump out way beyond the speakers, which was impressive from where I was sitting.

The chord had a silkiness to vocals that I liked, and everything was slightly more "musical" than the DS. IMHO, I guess that means a little more rounded and warmer. we listened to ELP Lucky Man, and the vocals were very silky and the sound filled the room. Played on the DS immediately after, and the cymbals came alive, the sinths had that buzzy grit that early synths are known for, and the vocals suddenly had a texture (maybe a little too much texture due to the new Linear PSU adding some hash or something to my high end). I hate to admit it, but the Chord kept up to the DS is many ways, just not in vocal/instrument separation, detail, or that finite timing that the attention to reduced jitter get you. That's what I feel keeps the DS in a league above the Chord QuteHD.  

That said, I'm betting this, or any of the Chord DACs with aftermetket PSU would get so much closer to the DS. If I didn't have the DS, I would seriously consider the Chord DACs. (due to cost difference). If I wanted the ultimate, I'd still go for DirectStream

I'm still very happy with the DS - again, the only thing I'm unhappy about still, is the lack of voltage on the output. The ZMA really needs that voltage to drive its input, and without a preamp, the DS constantly seemed like it was less dynamic than the Chord with its better output voltage.

So we'll both work on our Linear PSU solutions, and see what we can come up with. I'll also figure out how to get the Chord to show up in Foobar so we can do a better A/B comparo. Only other thing that would help, is probably a preamp that allows us to do the db matching automatically and give me equal drive to the ZMA. That, unfortunately, isn't going to happen any time soon.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #491 - 08/14/14 at 17:18:38

Thanks for your input LR. I look forward to your further impressions of the Chord an DS.

I to have had the Gremlins this week. Besides not feeling well...after vacation blahs, I guess (?). My Receiver/DVR crashed an all is lost. That happened Tuesday...new one is out for delivery today (Dish Network).

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #492 - 08/14/14 at 17:52:14

Sounds like a rough time in the great midwest!

LR,

Thanks for your update.

Quote:
Only other thing that would help, is probably a preamp that allows us to do the db matching automatically and give me equal drive to the ZMA. That, unfortunately, isn't going to happen any time soon.

I don't know Raven...with this level of transparency, I suspect any pre would change the sound enough to make comparisons pretty tricky also. To keep my DAC voltage from distorting the Zstage I tried those gold RCA attenuator plugs. I could hear even them enough that I attenuated my DAC from inside the software player instead. It was more transparent, at least at only several dB attenuation.

Though a pain in the butt and not perfect, I think volume matching the ZMA, or perhaps better, the core software volume might give a fairly accurate comparison.

Palomino,

I would appreciate your sending your Audirvana settings. I have tried lots of settings variations, and they all make a difference, so hopefully your combination might work here. After many hours of exploring, I can get really sophisticated sound, but still am having a hard time getting it to make music sound as real as I am accustomed to.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #493 - 08/14/14 at 17:52:42

If I can make time this weekend, I'm going to see about putting an SSD drive and stripped down Windows Server 2012 on my Media PC, and I'm also looking into some parts upgrades for my linear PSU to remove the high frequency hash I believe is mucking up my sound. The PSU is bringing so much to the table, I think it's worth throwing $40 in small parts and some time with the soldering iron to improve.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #494 - 08/14/14 at 19:47:20

Interesting note from Paul McG on his Mac-Mini during a discussion of USB cables -

Quote:
Yes and they're close. It's tough because on some music I prefer the red one and on other music the JCAT. In the end I use mostly the JCAT. However, after Arnie came and readjusted the system I have a ton more resolving power – so much so that I now am not happy with the Mac Mini server sound relative to the PWT. So I rarely listen to the mini and stay with the PWT, so much better its sound is.
Sigh. It's a never ending battle what we fight here. However, it has inspired me to figure out how to get the Mini sounding better and to that goal I have contacted several companies and we're discussing how to upgrade the Mini to get its sound closer to that of the PWT.

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #495 - 08/14/14 at 20:19:03

BTW, something else I thought of which was likely a disadvantage with the Chord.  On my system, I am able to use integer mode in Audirvana which I believe does help the SQ.

There is a post on Computer Audiophile that reviews about 20 things you can do to the mini to get better sound.  The two most important are replacing the HDD with a SSD and replacing the SMPS with a linear one.  I believe Paul has a SSD.

Also, Audirvana (maybe the other programs too) have a large number of settings you can play with.  Paul uses BitPerfect which has very few.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #496 - 08/14/14 at 22:51:10

Palomino,

Do you know how to find that Mini setup post you speak of?

Paul's post:

For me to learn anything, context and details are pretty critical. Paul's post is like a lot of his posts, relatively strong on opinion or suggestion, and relatively vague on details. Besides software, we don't know how his Mini is set up. Also, he carefully developed the PWT, his tastes a big player no doubt. His other gear was designed likewise with his tastes. And presumably, he is making this evaluation in his room, also to his tastes. So it would be surprising to me if the PWT, especially with other PSAudio gear, did not sound extra good under these conditions.

Within this, the PWT and PWD or DS are very likely to be an exceptional combination if one is in agreement with the PSaudio sound.

All that said, he may have the Mini ideally optimized, and we might agree with his opinion given the chance to listen, but we don't know.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #497 - 08/15/14 at 00:32:58

Pal…I am also interested in your Audirvana settings.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #498 - 08/15/14 at 00:40:17

From the PS Audio website, here are DS Designer Ted Smith's comments about JA measurements in the September issue of Stereophile:

"I'm glad JA found that weird distortion of the lowest few bits.  I indeed did have an outright bug in the FPGA.  It's not serious enough to do a separate release of the FPGA for, but the fix will be in the next FPGA release when ever that is.

I was expecting the noise floor measurement, but I'd rather JA used a different word than resolution to describe it.  Clearly the DAC is resolving signals below the noise floor…

As JA said the center spike in the jitter test is quite narrow and also as he says his normal way of measuring jitter isn't as revealing in the presence of this much noise.  But even so that jitter test doesn't make sense for this input topology: very little of the output jitter in the DS comes from the jitter in the input waveforms.  An extremely fast and accurate scope doing eye patterns would probably be needed to get a good measurement of the jitter.

Like the Stereophile measurements of the Playback Designs DAC these measurements don't seem to capture the essence of DSD DACs.  Doing a DSD dac this way gets a very accurate output (linearity, fidelity to the input waveform) but not so precise of an output (bits of precision.)"

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #499 - 08/15/14 at 02:07:21

Will...I am interested in your Pure Music settings.  No need to provide the eq (b/c that is specific to your room), but I would like to use your other settings as a starting point.  I am hoping to find some time this weekend to get started on the Pure Music demo.

Cheers,
David

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20
Send Topic Print