Send Topic Print
El Pipe-o (Read 10804 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

El Pipe-o
02/07/14 at 01:01:39

I've been thinking about building a El Pipe-O Sub for my room. Has anyone had any experience with anything like these?

My thought is to lay it down horizontal across the front wall of my room.
It sure is nice having a room that your wife doesn't care what you do with it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Re: El Pipe-o
Reply #1 - 02/07/14 at 01:36:43

Where did you come up with this? I like it only can imagine what they sound like.   

Wasn't really sure what I would find when I opened this topic up surprise surprise! All I know is pretty cool I would prefer standing up I think. I wonder how the bass sound is reflecting back down off of the ceiling. Like a bass organ. Cool idea! I wouldn't be surprised if they sound deep the thought of them is!

LR has to dig these!

Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 02/07/14 at 02:30:54

While I do like big woofers, I think that design is kind of unnecessary these days with current drivers. My current sealed woofer is down 3db at 10Hz!

While I do like the sound of TL speakers, it seems overkill for a modern woofer, unless your simply trying to get the most out of a cheap driver.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 02/07/14 at 10:38:59

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/14 at 20:01:01

Interesting and sounds like fun.  I wonder if you could scale it for a smaller room?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/14 at 21:34:47

From what I could tell reading about them I do believe they could be scaled down. There was a mention about 8" sonotube and an 8" woofer but I didn't see what the specs were on it. Seemed that they mentioned a 12' sonotube cut down to 6' maybe that would work in a normal room. Its to bad they didn't give specs for 8", 10" 12" versions to see what the tube height would work out being.             Grin

Cool

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/07/14 at 22:06:45

The "pipe" in my horns is about 6' and does pretty well into the 30s.  I have a room kind of like Donnie, where anything goes but it only has a 7'3" ceiling (basement) so I'm wondering how low I could go with a pipe that fits?  I'll search around for a scaled down recipe.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/07/14 at 22:37:25

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 02/07/14 at 22:54:16

I think that I am on to something here!

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/08/14 at 01:49:46

Donnie,
     These subs will match your head set in your profile picture!
All joking a side these are a cool idea seems like a good project if you have the room to use them. I wouldn't mind building two sets of 10"s.

Cool

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/08/14 at 09:36:24

If you have never tried to build a subwoofer  using concrete pylon supports, then go ahead and try it. You might just like it. AND they are really cheap to build.

On the other hand, I can tell you that once you build one or two, you will be looking for the next best thing, still. The idea is that you can use a simple hardy support to fabricate your sub's, with little or no work to create a proper enclosure.

I would suggest that you do a little more research. You might find something a bit more satisfying.

What is your application?

More info about your own need would help those smart people help you.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/08/14 at 11:29:25

Satisfying is in the eye of the beholder! There are also other materials that can be used other than sonotube. You could even use 3034 plastic pipe for your risers but it wouldn't be as dampening as the sonotube but would be nicer to paint or finish to taste. A friend of mine has some 12" pipe that he had custom painted for yard decor and it looks really cool you could do the same in the right room setting and have it look good and sound good. I do believe to do these right and have them look awesome these could turn into a pretty big project. If you have the time and ambition these could be a fun project to do!

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print