Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:53:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker recommendation for Taboo III and SE84CS? (Read 11160 times)
johnny_boy
Verified Member

Speaker recommendation for Taboo III and SE84CS?
01/16/14 at 01:17:27

I am looking for a set of speakers that would work with both amp? Is that possible?

I am looking at these:
- Decware MG944  (4 ohm. 94 db 1w/1m. 28Hz ~ 22kHz)
- Zu Omen Dirty Weekend (12 ohm. 97 db. 35Hz ~ 25kHz)
- Omega Super 3s (8 ohm. 94 db. 38Hz ~ 20kHz)
- Klipsch Heresy iii (8 ohm. 99db. 58Hz ~20kHz)

I am looking for musicality, imaging, bass, detail in that order.

I am leaning towards Zu, but 12 ohm scares me a bit. It will probably work with Taboo but not sure if it will work at all with SE84CS?

Background Info
I was going to just get a set of speakers for Taboo, but so far I find that I like my quite modified SE84CS better (when paired with old Parker 95 tower set at 2 ohm, I know it is not a fair match for Taboo. Didn't feel like rewiring it for 8 ohm to just test it out), so I was hoping to get something that I can try with both amps and keep the amp that goes well with the speakers?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker recommendation for Taboo III and SE84CS?
Reply #1 - 01/16/14 at 02:22:54

Seems to me you'd be better dedicating the Parkers to the Zen and concentrating on speakers for the TABOO.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
johnny_boy
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/14 at 23:15:17

Picked up a pair of Tekton Lore. They actually match really well with Taboo and Zen. They both drive it plenty loud for me. It is not broken in yet, as I just got them yesterday.

Overall the Lores are much better balanced speakers. It throws a lot of bass that I could only get using a sub with Parker 95. The treble is also much better extended (my parker is not the ribbon tweeter version). So far the mid is not as sweet, but I will reserve the judgment until later. It images actually better than Parker, but parker might have slightly more details. Not sure yet.

Another interesting thing is that I prefer my Zen over Taboo for speaker usage (Taboo is great with headphone). Zen just have that tone that sounds real to me. So far Taboo sounds like great play back of records, but with Zen, it feels like live music.  (note that my Zen is heavily modified. ALL the stock capacitors have been replaced and bias changed slightly)

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/01/14 at 13:58:16

johnny_boy,

Those Lore's look nice and at great price. The 98db efficiency with the Zen was a good choice IMHO. I run a Super Zen with 101 db Klipsch RF-7's. I've been hooked on the Zen sound for 12 years now. Upgraded to the Super Zen a couple years ago and that was a big upgrade.

I've heard most of Steve's other amps but to my ear there is just something very special about the the Little Zen sound that the other amps don't quite have.

I run an HSU Mid Bass Module with my Super Zen and that really adds an uncanny sense of power / realism to Drums and Bass Guitar that you just can't get from 2 watts alone. The Mid Bass Module does much more for music than a sub can do.

Enjoy you new speakers.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 02/01/14 at 15:25:25

There is a whole "parallel universe" available if you can DIY.
It might be worthwhile & surprising, to research some of the
options available.
My Select was heavenly driving a number of DIY single driver/ single driver
w/sub systems.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
johnny_boy
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/01/14 at 17:19:11

Might have spoken too soon about Zen being loud enough. I think it was loud enough when I was driving it with Dec685 CD player which I think puts out 5v. connected to a 2v DAC, I have to turn up the Zen louder and it seems to distort (somewhat lightly) when I play at a decent volume for a near-field listening (5 feet away).

In terms of DIY speakers, I thought about building a ZOB, but the driver situation isn't ideal and I was worried that it will lack bass too much without any augmentation. Although that could be a great one to try out the mid bass module that was mentioned? Bass on Lore so far is pretty amazing (compared to what I had in the past). The bass guitar and kick drum sounds so real. Makes sense because it is a bass guitar speaker.

IP Logged
AlexR
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/02/14 at 03:23:38

Hi Johnny-boy. I also drive Lores with a Zen (select), and I'm surprised to hear you aren't getting enough volume. I listen from about 8 feet away and can't really go past 8 or 9 clicks on the stepped attenuater before it's too loud to listen comfortably--and I need to go at least that high before I notice just the slightest hint of distortion.
You must like it really loud! Grin I think you'll come to love the Lore/Zen combo once everything's broken in.

AlexR   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/02/14 at 03:48:18

Alex,

Is your CSP2+ driving the amp?
If so, that is your answer.

IME the SE84s always needed a preamp with 2 volt CD players.

IP Logged
AlexR
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/02/14 at 03:57:43

Lin:
Nope--the csp2+ is in the closet with my old Odyssey amp. (Which reminds me, anyone want to buy a csp2+/Odyssey Khartago combo?) I think I just might not listen as loudly as others do. I admit that my old 120wpc Khartago handled orchestral music a bit better at loud volumes (but only a bit), but the little Zen just sounds so much better overall that I don't mind the slight compromise on that one type of music.  

AlexR   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/02/14 at 14:50:58

Johnny_Boy stated:

"Bass on Lore so far is pretty amazing (compared to what I had in the past)"

I think the key phrase here is "compared to what I had in the past". After all everything is relative (my first 8-Track system was awesome compared to what I had previously). So I can see how Johnny_Boy would naturally come to the conclusion that a Mid Bass Module has nothing to add to his current system.

The Mid Bass Module is a LOT like the MATRIX (the movie). No one can actually tell you what IT is. You have to see (or in this case HEAR) it for yourself. The MBM is not a traditional Speaker nor a traditional Sub so unless you have heard one all of your assumptions about what it does and what it sounds like will be incorrect. I know because my assumptions going in were completely wrong.

I love the Zen sound but just like Johnny_Boy was always playing it right at Max volume and wished I could get just a little bit more. Eventually I purchased a CSP2 hoping that would push things up a notch. Well that was actually more like a 1/4 notch. Gave everything just a bit more Umphhh but with the CSP2 transparency and clarity were diminished somewhat which was not an acceptable trade-off. So my CSP2 also sits in the closet.

Well 2 years ago I purchased the Mid Bass Module fully expecting to return it (this was simply an experiment on my part). Well as I stated at the opening "You have to hear the MBM to understand and appreciate it". It's the perfect match for the Low Power Zen IMO.

Where I used to listen with the Zen volume knob at 12 to 3 O'clock, now I typically listen at 9 O'clock on a regular basis with Loud being at 12 O'clock. I have a 15' X 22' listening room in an open floor plan home sitting 10' from the speakers which are placed 10' apart sitting approx 3' out from the front wall.

So when you have the Volume Knob on your little Zen Maxed out and you are wishing for just a little bit more. Well the MBM can add a lot more natural sounding Power, Weight, Attack & Slam for a reasonable investment. So the choice is simple, take the Red Pill and see how much further the MBM can take your system or take the Blue Pill and enjoy what is a really nice system.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/02/14 at 19:20:42

^ Roll Eyes

It must be true, I read it on the internet. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/04/14 at 14:53:38

Quote:
^ Roll Eyes

It must be true, I read it on the internet. Grin Grin Grin

Dang !!!   I guess this means the Blue Pill is gone.

Well here's some additional internet nonsense: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/hsu.htm

This is about the only professional review I could find on the Mid Bass Module. This convinced me to try one. After all HSU has a great return policy.

The author suggests you might want 2 Mid Bass Modules and a Sub. I have 2 HSU 15" subs and 2 MBM's which is wonderful but admittedly Way Overkill. I have used 1 MBM in my system and on music it delivers 85% of the performance compared to twin subs and twin MBM's. So a single MBM connected via speaker level connections and properly placed is a huge value in tandem with the Zen amp.

DBC   IP Logged
johnny_boy
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/07/14 at 23:28:16

Some random follow ups

1. I really do like Tekton Lore. They sound VERY good with decware amps. I've never owned actual Decware speakers, so I don't know if HDT or ERR would be much better, but Lore at $1K, this is a fantastic sounding combo.
2. Lores have much more bass and treble than my old speakers. Due to that, the mid seems to be recessed and that is the only down side so far as I love warm, blooming forward mid. However, this thing can actually make noise at 20hz at the same level as my old speakers at 50 hz. It hits pretty solid down to 35Hz. I can here all the top end sizzle that I could not hear as well.
3. I can clip the amps (both Taboo and Zen) with this speaker. It is loud, but not that loud, so it might not be 98db. It is louder than my 95db speaker though (which probably is not 95 either).

I think I read somewhere if the bias needle on the Taboo is moving, I am clipping the signal, right? I think I was playing "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, and it was bouncing needle a bit. I guess I play such music loud, since I used to play those songs in a rock band, which can be quite loud. On the other hand I can play Alison Krauss or Jeff Buckley really loud and the needle does not move, so it all depends on the source maybe?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/08/14 at 01:08:52

Lots of variables.
Do you play CDs through your dac?

Some of my "better" recorded CDs are much lower in level than typical "loud" pop/rock albums, therefore I need more gain (active pre) in my system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print