Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 03:35:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Results 6 months of Tube Rolling for Mini Torri-II (Read 21402 times)
P K
Seasoned Member

Results 6 months of Tube Rolling for Mini Torri-II
01/30/14 at 22:35:36

Final results of six months of tube rolling for the Mini Torii-II I purchased last summer.

Any Comments?

A Mullard OC2 for a OA2 is a big improvement.

A NOS RCA OC3 for a stock OA3 is a very slight improvement.

Time to just listen to the music.

Earlier Tube Rolling  and Set up:

FINAL RESULTS AFTER TRYING OUT A BRENT JESSE RCA 6V6G ST, COKE BOTTLE:

Valve Art 350B-coke  bottle,blows away the RCA 6V6G ST in my system (mini Torii driving a mid/tweeter at 1000 hz and above)

Amperex NOS  EZ80 from Brent Jesse (white lettering with a cartoon of a tube playing a trumpet - Bugle Boy)

Valvo/Mullard NOS Blackburn 12au7 (these are the authentic Mullard Blackburn plant tubes made in 60's with "Gf2/B3J5" and "Gf2/B8E5"etched codes).   Even with the Mullards12au7s I use the highest neg. feedback setting for Digital Playback (thus the Mullard 12au7s create a more flexible system).

This is a great combo, 3d deep sound stage, not too hot or bright, airy sound, great definition of instruments, sound stage that is wider than my speakers, balance natural sound.

My System:

Upgraded Linn LP12

Hadcock 242 Tonearm with a Grado Statement Reference1 Wood Body Phono Cartridge.

Vacuum State JLTI Phono preamp (one of the best phono preamps available for under $5k)

Aesthetix Saturn line preamplifier with upgraded Mullard 12ax7 and Amperex Mini Watt SQ 6922 tubes (a great preamp)

Feeding a highly modified custom Behringer DCX2496 two channel digital crossover.

Feeding the Mini Torii for above 1000 hz to a Emerald Physics CS2 mid/tweeter (Selenium D220Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm).

Below 1000 hz, a Sunfire amp is being used into dual 15 inch open baffle woofers

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Re: Results 6 months of Tube Rolling for Mini Torri-II
Reply #1 - 01/31/14 at 08:34:54

Hi there
Interesting reading. I m currently waiting for my MT, and I dont have any experience in tuberolling, and my set up will be different from yours. Only source, into DAC into the MT and speakers.

But since you seem to have tried a lot of different tubes maybe you can give some advice for a newbieroller. I want to use the stock tubes and have the necessary tubes both for backup and for the possibilities to change sound every now and then. Of course if you know prices as well. If U have the time and energy please inform what changes i can expect from different tubes with different function in the amp

PS: glad to read youre happy with results!

J

IP Logged
grinnell
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/02/14 at 16:47:38

PK,

We have talked about our differences in favorite tubes for the mini.  You like the VA 350 and I prefer the RCA 6v6g.

Obviously systems make a huge difference.  I wonder if your bi amp'd speakers make the difference b/c the bass is driven by sunfire amp?

Mini Torii w/ 1940's Brimar 6v6g st
Ref 3A de Capos
KEF Kube10a Sub
VPI HW-19 mk iv
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
MacBook Pro as streamer
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/02/14 at 21:03:18

I agree with your observation about the Sunfire, but I thought the NOS RCA 6v6g st would be in the same league with 350b's (above 1000hz).

The VA 350b tubes were significantly better, I wonder if I tried a bad pair of 6v6g st tubes?

P K

IP Logged
grinnell
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/03/14 at 19:32:32

again maybe  the split in freq makes the difference.  System dependent Smiley

Ref 3A de Capos
KEF Kube10a Sub
VPI HW-19 mk iv
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
MacBook Pro as streamer
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/03/14 at 19:54:25

I think it would be pretty much impossible to really correlate tube rolling experiences between two systems when one of them is only reporting on the sonic characteristics from 1k and up.  There's a ton of music going on below 1k which can affect your perception of the overall balance even at the higher frequencies.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 02/05/14 at 00:58:23

Agreed.

There have been at least a couple members in this forum who were not impressed at all by the Valve Art 350B in their Mini-Toriis, and so this remains a subjective and highly system dependent issue.

Other than generally recognized particular tubes' attributes like openness and warmth, liveliness and speed, there's no straight way to adopt someone else's formula, so trial and error is a must.

BTW, ordered 6414's and RCA 12AU7's (black plates) ...We'll see

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
grinnell
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/14 at 15:27:50

I was one who wasn't overly excited about the VA350b sound in my system.  But they are about $40 shipped from amazon so cheap enough to try out.

Ref 3A de Capos
KEF Kube10a Sub
VPI HW-19 mk iv
MHDT Stockholm v2 DAC
Emotive ERC-4 CDP
MacBook Pro as streamer
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #8 - 02/11/14 at 01:52:16

Right, I think Les Lammers wasn't excited about them either. Anyway, I like the G ST's so much, I'm going to try them with the new pairs of drivers I ordered and hopefully raise the bar a little more. These were affordable too.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/11/14 at 11:50:55

Hi can these be used in the MT?
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pope-6v6gt/

And what would be your recommondations for a EZ90 swap?

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/12/14 at 03:25:44

Quote:
Hi can these be used in the MT?
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/pope-6v6gt/

Yes. I have used them in my Mini Torii.

If you are getting them from Upscale, you might as well also order the EZ90 from them as well. I find their prices a little high, but you can rest assured that you are getting a quality and well tested tube.

I also buy from cryoset dot com.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/15/14 at 14:09:55

You need to get the E80CC in there man!

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/16/14 at 09:01:33

Did you mean: A Mullard OA2 for a stock OC2 is a big improvement?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/16/14 at 09:18:15

IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/16/14 at 11:15:05

you guys think the E90CC is a better alternative than the Ez90??
I checked out ebay and they are pretty expensive.. atleast compared to to the EZ90. I will definately try them out if you think hey are worth it. So..better in what ways? Consensus to the conclusion`?

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/16/14 at 11:17:10

Try the EZ90 that Jim McShane has, very nice. I think they are RT German. Good price.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #16 - 06/16/14 at 13:14:05

+1

Since I switched to RFT EZ90 rectifiers over a year ago, the sound has improved tangibly.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/17/14 at 09:12:13

Has Steve approved the 0A2 for MT? I was told there is no drop-in replacement.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 06/17/14 at 12:10:24

I don't know if Steve has approved it, but it can be used safely. Its use is noted here in this thread:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1389541068

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print