Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:11:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VR tubes - Getters are steadily receding (Read 7511 times)
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

VR tubes - Getters are steadily receding
12/19/13 at 23:55:32

On my MK4, I noticed that the Silver getter flashing of my VR tubes (NOS RCA 0A3 and RCA 0C2) are steadily receding since day one.
I've owned the MK4 for only about 2 months now.

Just wanted to clarify that I am concerned about the rate of disappearance rather than the disappearance itself.
I understand that it is normal for the silver getter flashing to disappear progessively from tubes.
But the rate seems to be faster for the OA3 and 0C2 tubes vs the other Power tubes, rectifiers and input preamp tubes.

Any other MK4 or MK3 owners experiencing this too?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: VR tubes - Getters are steadily receding
Reply #1 - 12/20/13 at 00:01:42

Mk II, and two Mk III owner here. Can't say that I've noticed this. Using RCA in those spots as well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/20/13 at 01:36:52

Do you mean the flashing? That silver crap inside the tube. Now that you mention it, seems that the VR tubes look brighter than they did in the MINI TORII.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #3 - 12/20/13 at 02:01:40

Hi Rivieraranch,

Yes. I'm referring to the silver getter flashing.

I'll edit my original post for clarity.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/20/13 at 06:11:19

With 950 hours on my MKIII/MK IV conversion,  the OC2's look the same as when they were new.  

On my early 50's RCA OA3's, the getters and silver flashing inside the glass, look the same as the TungSol 5U4G's I am running.  The getters have not shrunk in size from what I can see, but the amount of silver flashing inside the glass has increased somewhat.

It takes many, many, hours before 7308's change visually. At least for me.

Mike

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #5 - 12/21/13 at 15:23:30

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responses.

Since prices are still relatively low, I bought a couple of extra pairs of NOS VR tubes as a standby.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print