Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:38:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDTrack - Kind of Blue *Remaster* (Read 16554 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

HDTrack - Kind of Blue *Remaster*
11/19/13 at 14:46:45

Anyone grabbed this one yet? I'm thinking about picking it up as a belated birthday present to myself. I really enjoy this album, even though I've not fully warmed up to Jazz, this one gets me.

I wonder if it's as good as HDTracks makes it sound, or if it's more hyperbole.

http://www.hdtracks.com/kind-of-blue-stereo?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: HDTrack - Kind of Blue *Remaster*
Reply #1 - 11/19/13 at 15:19:54

I'm not doing downloads. I have the SACD and it's excellent, don't need to have another stereo version (I have several in several formats).

I'm looking forward to the mono version, newly remixed from the 3 channel tapes (because the original mono tape is too worn apparently) that is going to be released in a cd box set with the other releases that were mono on lp, and also as a separate vinyl release. Though I'm not sure why, I have excellent sounding stereo versions, have been listening to the record since the mid-seventies and need another version like a hole in the head. Sigh. It's a collecting disease.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 11/19/13 at 16:36:55

Yeah, they mention the worn out mixdowns and the master is starting to scallop in the "About This Album" on HDTracks. It really sounds like they went all out in recovering and archiving the master.

Link to the video:

http://youtu.be/z_p7Qbb_LAo

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/19/13 at 16:42:06

Hype. Smiley

I think there's a good chance that the new HDTrack stereo is the DSD SACD master converted to PCM, and all they did "new" this time around is create a mono mix. Just a little bit of cynicism from years of buying Columbia/Sony digital releases.

Elsewhere I've heard that the HDTrack will also have the mono version? If so that would be cool, and a better bargain.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 11/19/13 at 16:58:37

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Hype. I was all excited about a few of the albums on HD tracks, till I saw the spectral analysis of those albums, and it was pretty much proved that some of them were just ported from other media. Which pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

That said, this one sounds like they really went back and remixed - they say they used the original mixdown as a guide and didn't recreate anything, just squeeze out as much as they could from the 3 track master and match the original mix as much as possible.

If they are BSing this much, then I'm absolutely done with HDTracks. But if they are serious, then it gives me more hope for the future.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/19/13 at 18:04:30

Good, I hope it is what they claim. I should have the Mono box set today or tomorrow. I like these albums in mono, have heard all of them but KOB in mono on lp.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 11/19/13 at 18:23:49

I've never heard a good mono recording - I really don't understand what the allure is.

I'll have to remedy that once the MA shows up.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/19/13 at 18:45:05

I love a lot of music that was only recorded in mono. I'm not a stereo snob, I love a good mono recording and mono recordings can sound excellent. I listen to a lot of material from the 'twenties and up, the whole jazz heritage for instance. And some of those early engineers were really amazing, transcending the technology of their time.

A lot of recordings up through the early sixties though available in stereo actually had the mono release given the most attention as far as instrumental balance, texture and dynamics. And it shows when you compare the sound.

I'm glad to listen to mono recordings, my life would be much less rewarding without a lot of the mono recordings I have.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/19/13 at 22:23:32

Hey Lon,  I didn't know about the Miles Mono's.  I just looked on Amazon...$93 or did you buy from Europe?  Not long ago I retrieved my remastered CD of "Kind Of Blue" from my parents house...I had loaned a couple shoe boxes full of CDs more than a decade ago...most are still there.  Anyway, when I listened to KOB with headphones something was off.  I think Cannonball was way back in the mix sometimes.  Let me know what you think.  I've got all the Miles Boxes and most of the  single CDs....all of the Mono box music in one format or another for sure.  Let me know how much improvement there is...also if the cuts are in the same order as the original LPs. I hate the chronological treatment with alternates one after another.  Did you get the Dylan Mono Box...if so I'd be interested in your opinion of it also.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/19/13 at 22:29:39

Mark, I haven't received the box yet. I ordered it from amazon.de for about 52 dollars total, that is the nice price.

Something could have been off on the cd you had. This has been on cd five or six times, and on SACD twice. Each time they tweak some little bit I guess to say they "remastered" it. On the Hoffman board someone has shown that "So What" has appeared with four different timings and several different speeds even after it was "corrected" for the gold disc.

In the mono box it's just the original lps in facsimile, no alternates. Reports of the fidelity are quite approving, and seeing the engineer and producer of the set I'm inclined to guess that it rocks.

The Dylan Mono box is excellent. Really really good if you're a Dylan fan. Some of those releases never sounded better on cd.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 11/20/13 at 03:08:19

This is the one I currently have - is it a good version?

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 11/20/13 at 03:13:32

It's fine. It's the first one with the corrected speed on side A.

Due to the SBM, perhaps a bit more digital sounding than later digital versions, maybe not, been a while since I did direct comparisons.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print