05/19/24 at 07:04:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
V-caps A/B Test (Read 2653 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

V-caps A/B Test
10/31/13 at 14:19:48

I recently purchased another Rachael amp for a second system.  The new amp has V-caps, the original is stock.  The new amp was built in June and the original owner says it does not have many hours on it.

I put them side by side and did some A/B testing.  Same powercord, interconnects, etc.  First with my current set of Rachael tubes, then I started varying things.

I was somewhat surprised at how much better the non-broken in V-cap Rachael sounded and that the best tube set for it was the stock tube set. To me, V-caps sounded a little darker and I consider the stock tube set to be a brighter set of tubes.  The combination yielded some good synergy.  

Overall, the V-cap amp was much more engaging.  You could hear more of the musician's emotion coming through.

Anyway, I often wondered if the V-caps upgrade was worth it and now I can say, even with a fairly new amp, yes.  It will be interesting to see how it goes as the amp seasons.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: V-caps A/B Test
Reply #1 - 10/31/13 at 15:03:45

So when are you bringing those over?  ;)

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/31/13 at 15:05:26

I think I am just going to load up the van with everything, grab about two days worth of food & beverage and head your way Grin

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 10/31/13 at 15:11:18

That would be awesome! Movies and Music weekend! :D

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print